Game canceled for "Covid issues in our region"

So UNLV/Boise game canceled because of conditions in the region. Whatever that means. No reports of too many players testing positive or out due to potential contacts. Nevada and Las Vegas aren't doing great with it, but far from the worst conditions around.

If just general conditions around the stadium but not inside the stadiums it could get games canceled, how can almost any game be played? Will another football game be played in California this year?

railbird

EOG Master
lots of these schools would rather opt out than play, and its other reasons than covid. Dabo Swinney was right about Florida State.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for the update, WildBill.

The Las Vegas Bowl also was canceled earlier today.

It was to have been played at Allegiant Stadium.

Excellent upgrade to the bowl game was planned with a Pac-12 team facing an SEC representative.

Much better than in years past when the Mountain West champ would meet a MAC foe.

The Las Vegas Bowl is the tenth bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
High School Football in the SoCal area was supposed to start in Jan 2021 meaning practice to start soon. I think we know what the odds of that happening are.

Basketball is supposed to start in late Feb/early March with our ref meetings set to stat around mid January. Once again, I think we know what the odds of that happening are.

Things will get better in the USA starting Jan 20, though.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
High School Football in the SoCal area was supposed to start in Jan 2021 meaning practice to start soon. I think we know what the odds of that happening are.

Basketball is supposed to start in late Feb/early March with our ref meetings set to stat around mid January. Once again, I think we know what the odds of that happening are.

Things will get better in the USA starting Jan 20, though.

The morning could be difficult for Winky, but around noon ET everything should be fine.

Parade starts at 3:00 p.m. ET.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Excellent upgrade to the bowl game was planned with a Pac-12 team facing an SEC representative.

Much better than in years past when the Mountain West champ would meet a MAC foe.

The Las Vegas Bowl is the tenth bowl game canceled because of the pandemic; the Bahamas, Celebration, Fenway, Hawaii, Holiday, Motor City, Pinstripe, Redbox and Sun bowls are the others.

PAC-12 caught a break by the cancellation....

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

That was a great bowl to fade a disinterested average Pac-10 team in vs a decent Mt West rep.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
That was a great bowl to fade a disinterested average Pac-10 team in vs a decent Mt West rep.

One of the largest bets I have ever made was the 1992 Freedom Bowl between Fresno and USC. USC was a 7-point fave. I took Fresno +240ish on the ML and had a "rocking chair" winner for the exact reason you stated. USC wanted nothing to do with this game and this was the biggest game in Fresno history and the crowd of 50,000 was about 90% Frasno supporters that made Anaheim Stadium sound like a Fresno home game

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
One of the largest bets I have ever made was the 1992 Freedom Bowl between Fresno and USC. USC was a 7-point fave. I took Fresno +240ish on the ML and had a "rocking chair" winner for the exact reason you stated. USC wanted nothing to do with this game and this was the biggest game in Fresno history and the crowd of 50,000 was about 90% Frasno supporters that made Anaheim Stadium sound like a Fresno home game
I hit that one also. Another great hit was Utah over USC in the LV Bowl.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I hit that one also. Another great hit was Utah over USC in the LV Bowl.

True story: So on Dec 24 I flew out to Vegas for Xmas. I flew out of John Wayne. For those who have ever flown out of that airport you fly out over the Pacific at a very steep angle because of the expensive homes in Newport Beach. Except when the Santa Ana winds are blowing (like they are now) and then you fly out over the 405-Freeway instead of landing over it. When this happens you fly out at a normal angle.

The one thing I most remember about my (at the time) America West flight was it was packed and about 90% of those in it were USC fans flying out for the game.....as well as the fact the 2 guys I sat next to (I had window seat) said they had flying experience when we started talking about things and the fact it happened about 3.5 months after 9/11 really made me feel even better

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
lots of these schools would rather opt out than play, and its other reasons than covid. Dabo Swinney was right about Florida State.

youre still a moron. Fsu doesn’t give a shit about another loss, they would have liked the revenue though. This is nothing like that and Dabo is a redneck moron.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Agree for the most part.

But I remember a Las Vegas Bowl where Stephen Jackson of Oregon State came back to his hometown (Eldorado High School) and bullied an overmatched foe in New Mexico.

Final score: OSU Beavers 55 UNM Lobos 14.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, BLUE.

College football is big business.

Clemson's cost simply to travel to Tallahassee was $275,000.

Yowza!

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Agree for the most part.

But I remember a Las Vegas Bowl where Stephen Jackson of Oregon State came back to his hometown (Eldorado High School) and bullied an overmatched foe in New Mexico.

Final score: OSU Beavers 55 UNM Lobos 14.

Frank Hawkins came out of Las Vegas around 1981 and had a nice stint with the Raiders right before Jackson...went on to be a councilman in Vegas and part owner of a “pot” shop in town...also owned a couple convenience stores on the west side of town....very affable and approachable....