Gas Companies in the Midwest threatening to cease service

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Yeah right. Let's see a couple people die from cold exposure because a gas company shut off their heat. These warnings are to be ignored.

Public service announcement

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
Gas companies aren't going to be able to give away free gas for very long, especially at these prices. Rates will go up on the people who do pay their bill to make up for the people who can't afford to pay their bill or the stiffs.

The General

Yep, that is how it works. But to even try and deceive by saying "we will cut you off" is BS.

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
A friend of mine's wife works for Alabama Power as a customer service/complaint operator. She gets about a zillion calls a day from people who's power is about to be cut off because they are 3 or months behind on their bill. They all call her and say the same thing,"you can't cut off my power because I have a person living here on a machine and they will die if you cut off my power." So then they have to send someone to investigate. It's just a huge mess.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Shouldn't all 'life sustaining' utilities be free? Why should anyone in the USA have to pay for gas, lights, & water :smoke

homedog

EOG Enthusiast
Agreed. The government should pay for all utilities. :+waving-5

And maybe those that agree should consider moving to the USSR.:+clueless

X

xpanda

Wind power has been around for ages. Solar power for at least 20 years. Why haven't more homes moved over to these at some point? Why do we wait until we're in crisis mode before we prepare ourselves?

Silly.

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
"Wind power has been around for ages. Solar power for at least 20 years. Why haven't more homes moved over to these at some point? Why do we wait until we're in crisis mode before we prepare ourselves?

Silly."
<!-- / message -->

I'll tell you why X. How in the hell can the Govt tax the wind and Solar Power? It's sicking how much we pay in taxes when it's all broken down. The wholesale price of gas, right now is about 1.80$. That leaves about 1.20$ for the Govt to tax, whatever the service stations are making which isn't much, plus the cost of moving all of that gas around.

Same thing with our electric and natural gas bills. Crack open your telephone bills and look how much the gov't is getting there too.

David Matthews

EOG Enthusiast
If you were living paycheck to paycheck, these aren't good times for you, and for the next 3 years or so, it's only going to get tougher.

If you're the type of person who needs to get a new pair of golf shoes to play Pebble Beach because the pair you bought last week has a smudge, you're going to enjoy the next few years.

In the (paraphrased) words of Barbara Bush, "Let them eat cake."

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
Sammy:

High energy takes away from all other spending. Couple that with rising interest rates, and that just crushes the little guy. The guy living from paycheck to paycheck can't save any money. If he has credit card debt he's really in for a struggle.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Hitman, the 'Gov' could do away with poverty in the USA by just lowering the dollar amount it takes to be in "poverty."

X

xpanda

Sam Odom said:
Hitman, the 'Gov' could do away with poverty in the USA by just lowering the dollar amount it takes to be in "poverty."

You've apparently not heard that heating one's home is expected to rise by 70% this winter. SEVENTY PERCENT!

You can change the legal definition of poverty, but if you can't heat your home, and can't feed your kids because all the money you do have is going to heat your home, you're still poor, whether you or the government agrees with that notion or not.

Btw, you'd be prudent to note that the US has the second-lowest poverty barometer of all the developed nations, and that's with all of us adjusting our currency to US dollar equivalents. You lower your poverty barometer by four bucks and now yours is the country who has the lowest standards of any of us when it comes to measuring poverty.

Way to bury your head in the sand.

RPM

EOG Veteran
xpanda said:
Wind power has been around for ages. Solar power for at least 20 years. Why haven't more homes moved over to these at some point? Why do we wait until we're in crisis mode before we prepare ourselves?

Silly.

ever look into how much it costs to set a house up for that type of power?

X

xpanda

I have, actually. I'm looking to buy a fixer-upper myself and convert it to wind power.

Now, I don't know how it works in the US, but here you get massive tax breaks for converting to wind and solar power (they are adding geothermal to the list among others also) PLUS the utility company will buy back your extra power. Take all of this into consideration and the system pays for itself in 18 years plus then you have free power for the rest of your time in that home.

My point is that at some time we KNOW we're going to face a massive energy crisis. It's not been some deeply-held secret. Instead we promote SUVs and increased imports and bigger, open-concept homes that take more energy to heat.

With all the lobbyist groups in the US, you'd think somehow the alternate-energy sector would receive more attention. Oh, whoops, I forgot, none of the big cheeses work for Solar Power Inc. They're too busy fighting for the rights of Oil Is Us.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
xpanda said:
You've apparently not heard that heating one's home is expected to rise by 70% this winter. SEVENTY PERCENT!

Chop some trees down! How did people live during the winter before 'Utilities'?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Sam Odom said:
They already have! LOL! P.S. XPanda, Sam's calling you a dyke!

The General

I am going to wash some cars early in the morning at my dads Car lot to get some cash. :+signs11-

MLM

EOG Member
xpanda said:
I have, actually. I'm looking to buy a fixer-upper myself and convert it to wind power.

Now, I don't know how it works in the US, but here you get massive tax breaks for converting to wind and solar power (they are adding geothermal to the list among others also) PLUS the utility company will buy back your extra power. Take all of this into consideration and the system pays for itself in 18 years plus then you have free power for the rest of your time in that home.

Your wind power is going to kill some wildlife. How many birds must die for you to heat your house?

dirty

EOG Master
MLM said:
Your wind power is going to kill some wildlife. How many birds must die for you to heat your house?

don't understand this quote.......Not like the Birds are in front of the windmills Flapping the hell out of thier wings and dying of Exhaustion to make the windmills go?????:+clueless

Please enlighten me

dirty

EOG Master
Sam Odom said:
d, windmill's spinning blades kill birds. They fly into them:hung

If they are stupid enough to Fly into them then they Deserve to die....JMO

Just like the Birds that Crash into the Smurf Turf in Boise thinking it is water....:+music1-6

X

xpanda

MLM said:

You're probably right. My windmill will most DEFINITELY kill more wildlife than any old boring oil spill could. And ... pollution, schmution!

What was I thinking?????

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated
In Vegas, they aren't allowed to shut your power off in the summer! Shouldn't it be the same in th Northeast and Midwest in the winter? I'm tired of all these comanies screwing us when it comes to energy! Remember the Enron "Aunt Millie" comments? These people should be shot to death!

Sam Odom

EOG Master
Sam Odom said:
Shouldn't all 'life sustaining' utilities be free? Why should anyone in the USA have to pay for gas, lights, & water :smoke

Bump for stuckinvegas<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_38832", true); </SCRIPT>