guys, how would you feel in this situation

gridironguy

EOG Veteran
so in 2007, after winning my own personal ncaa pool amongst my buddies for the 6th time in 10 yrs, many of them approached me about doing their picks for their own office pools which would mean a nice payday and we split the cash 50/50. i agreed, and last yr i won 7 office pools at 7 different companies and brought home 50% of the loot which was roughly $1200 cash. they got the credit amongst their employees, and i got half the loot. the money was nice, but i do like credit and notoriety amongst people as much as i like money. still, i kept quiet and just took my cash.

fast forward to this yr, the same 7 pools. i am in the top 6 of all 7 pools including 2nd place in 3 of them and 3rd place in the 4th pool. top 6 in the other 3 pools. avg contestants is 83. in other words, i'm kicking ass again. the tournament is far from over, but the mere thought of people telling my friends that they are impressed through the first 2 rounds of their picks is really bothering me, please read on..

the co-workers of my friends are going up to them and saying "dude you're a college hoops guru, an aficionado". this fact is fukken tearing me up, it's killing me. the fact that my friends are anything but hoops gurus and it's really me winning is just fukken killing me.

do any of you understand how i feel? would you feel the same way as i do?

i am rooting against my champion because i do not want to win because i do not want other people getting the glory. i know this sounds really dumb but other people getting the credit for MY hard work and study is just killing me inside.

am i an idiot? am i too competitive? would any of you feel the same way i do or would you not give two shits?

honest responses please.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Re: guys, how would you feel in this situation

The $$ you are making is suppose to take care of these feelings, if not, you either need more $$ or you need to say no thanks to 2010.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I find it nearly impossible that you won 7 of 7 pools. All of your brackets would have been the same, and most don't do that.

Also, last year there were more upsets than this year so if you predicted a lot of upsets last year, why would you predict next to none this year?

Of 83 people, you get 1st over luck every time? I just don't see it. Sorry to question you, that just seems a little crazy. I follow CBB very closely and so do others here, and I have good and bad brackets. All of my brackets aren't good.

I understand that you want people to know that you are good at picking brackets; you talked about it in another thread as well.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

cheapseats, exactly. i want several thousands in cash to stay quiet or i am done in 2010.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

do you really need the attention this bad? come on man...

i think you are just looking for a pat on the back. here you go.

Timetopay

EOG Master

I find it nearly impossible that you won 7 of 7 pools. All of your brackets would have been the same, and most don't do that.

Also, last year there were more upsets than this year so if you predicted a lot of upsets last year, why would you predict next to none this year?

Of 83 people, you get 1st over luck every time? I just don't see it. Sorry to question you, that just seems a little crazy. I follow CBB very closely and so do others here, and I have good and bad brackets. All of my brackets aren't good.

I understand that you want people to know that you are good at picking brackets; you talked about it in another thread as well.

the guy makes a post spilling the beans about what a loser he is and you question if he is lying?

Only you can pull of both in the same post:finger004

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

How would I feel? I'd take the cash and not feel shit. Booo friggin whooooo someone else gets credit for a bracket you put together. Is this your life's work? If not, buy yourself something nice with their money and forget about what strangers think.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Also winning a pool 6 out of 10 years is pretty unlikely as well. Tournaments are all completely different. Some years George Mason upsets the world, and other years all 4 #1 seeds make it. How you can pick the difference in the years is beyond me.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

i used the exact same picks in all 7 brackets. i also had davidson to the elite 8 and western kentucky to the sweet 16. everything came together. 5 of the 7 contests gave upset bonus pts.

this yr, the upset bonus pts landed me 3 of the 4 upsets with the 12-seeds.

i use the same picks in all of my brackets because i am all or nothing in these pools. some yrs i will finish in last place, others first place. all or nothing i go for broke

thanks to wisky over florida, arizona over utah, and wku over illinois, i picked more upset bonus pts than just about anyone

btw, last yr the upset picks were easier to spot, this yr there were fewer opportunities.

if you follow college bb so closely, you will see that since 07 when the nba instituted the rule of 1 yr out of HS, the brackets have gone very true to form.

makes it easier for those of us who follow this very closely

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

the guy makes a post spilling the beans about what a loser he is and you question if he is lying?

Only you can pull of both in the same post:finger004

I can do more than both. :+textinb3

I just understand that it's really hard to win 1 office pool with 83 people in it; he's saying he won 7 of 7.

ever go to a bar just to watch the game and enjoy a beer and there is that one college kid that wont shut the fuck up the entire time spouting off about shit he saw on sportcenter. if you havent been there and heard him then chances are you are timely hitting. sausage fingers for the win.

who cares...go get part time jobs at all of those companies and pull in 2.4k next year!!! but seriously i wouldnt sweat it...its one thing if you dont get anything out of it but you are getting a free paycheck every march w/o having to be affiliated w/ any of those 7 companies...he knows who picked the bracket and so do you ya know?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

i used the exact same picks in all 7 brackets. i also had davidson to the elite 8 and western kentucky to the sweet 16. everything came together. 5 of the 7 contests gave upset bonus pts.

this yr, the upset bonus pts landed me 3 of the 4 upsets with the 12-seeds.

i use the same picks in all of my brackets because i am all or nothing in these pools. some yrs i will finish in last place, others first place. all or nothing i go for broke

thanks to wisky over florida, arizona over utah, and wku over illinois, i picked more upset bonus pts than just about anyone

btw, last yr the upset picks were easier to spot, this yr there were fewer opportunities.

if you follow college bb so closely, you will see that since 07 when the nba instituted the rule of 1 yr out of HS, the brackets have gone very true to form.

makes it easier for those of us who follow this very closely

Yeah, but you said you've won 6 times in 10 years meaning you were winning before the rule.

Quick, name the main difference between this years Davidson team and last years? Why were they a much better team last year?

rjt721

EOG Master

ever go to a bar just to watch the game and enjoy a beer and there is that one college kid that wont shut the fuck up the entire time spouting off about shit he saw on sportcenter. if you havent been there and heard him then chances are you are timely hitting. sausage fingers for the win.
dustdevil, how many ghosts do you have?

Bring back NEGRO COWBOY.

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Also winning a pool 6 out of 10 years is pretty unlikely as well. Tournaments are all completely different. Some years George Mason upsets the world, and other years all 4 #1 seeds make it. How you can pick the difference in the years is beyond me.

1999: uconn over duke (i won)
2000: michigan st (i won)
2001: duke over arizona (i won)
2002: i got killed
2003: i got killed
2004: uconn (i won)
2005: unc over illini (i won)
2006: i got killed
2007: florida won ( came in 3rd place)
2008: kansas over memphis (i won but the memphis ppl should have won)

keep in mind, my pool is never larger than 12-15 ppl who dont follow the shit nearly as closely as i do

Timetopay

EOG Master

Is there any chance you can get laid at any of these offices because you the "Pro Tourney Picker"?

If not fucking move on or maybe Reload can come in and give ya some fluffing...

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Oh, and if you don't like my opinions or posts you can block me. Word?

Lefthook

EOG Veteran

You seem very insecure. Question, when you win a bet would you rather have BetJam send you the money or email all your friends to tell them how fucking great you are?

I hope all your pools win, your friends co-workers throw them huge parties and the receptionist gives them BJ's in the bathroom while you sit at home jumping up and down yelling "look at me, I won the pool!'

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

Yeah, but you said you've won 6 times in 10 years meaning you were winning before the rule.

Quick, name the main difference between this years Davidson team and last years? Why were they a much better team last year?

#1 they lost 2 starters on the inside who were a major presence, thomas sander a 6-8 forward and boris meno a 6-8 forward weighing 230. they also lost guard jason richards who avg'ed about 13 pts and 8 assists a game.

the guys who replaced those 3 unheralded starters could not live up the previous trio. there was also less depth this season.

the last and probably most important reason was the rise of other teams in the conference and the fact that the bulls-eye was on davidson's chest from the get-go

the ankle injury to steph curry cost them some games late in the yr as well and they were not as healthy for the conf tourney which is why they lost and charleston and chattanooga made the conf tourney final

my knowledge of this sport is immense, my friend

#1 they lost 2 starters on the inside who were a major presence, thomas sander a 6-8 forward and boris meno a 6-8 forward weighing 230. they also lost guard jason richards who avg'ed about 13 pts and 8 assists a game.

the guys who replaced those 3 unheralded starters could not live up the previous trio. there was also less depth this season.

the last and probably most important reason was the rise of other teams in the conference and the fact that the bulls-eye was on davidson's chest from the get-go

the ankle injury to steph curry cost them some games late in the yr as well and they were not as healthy for the conf tourney which is why they lost and charleston and chattanooga made the conf tourney final

TH just wanted to hear richards FWIW

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

same thing i thought. gonna call this one bullshit

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You can't pay your bills with glory.

Believe me, everyone knows you are the guru.

Being great and modest at something is the best feeling in the world. Let these other people get the credit.

My GF won a NFL football pool at her work because she bet all my selections. She was explicitly told not to tell anyone at her job what was going on behind the scenes. She got the credit, even though i was the brains behind the operation (i know, scary thought!)

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

same thing i though. gonna call this one bullshit

i said i was 7 of 7 in office pools, i came in 2nd in my online pools that i was invited to which was 3 of them. i lost to 3 ppl who also took kansas, 3 ppl who follow hoops very closely

bear in mind that in office pools, 90% of the ppl are eliminated the first wknd because they have no clue what they are doing

the other 10% think they know what they are doing

when you pick davidson to the elite 8, wkent to the sweet 16, nail the final 4, the final gm, and the champ, winning 7 office pools is easy

maybe you dont understand the math and are overrating the competition?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

i said i was 7 of 7 in office pools, i came in 2nd in my online pools that i was invited to which was 3 of them. i lost to 3 ppl who also took kansas, 3 ppl who follow hoops very closely

bear in mind that in office pools, 90% of the ppl are eliminated the first wknd because they have no clue what they are doing

the other 10% think they know what they are doing

when you pick davidson to the elite 8, wkent to the sweet 16, nail the final 4, the final gm, and the champ, winning 7 office pools is easy

maybe you dont understand the math and are overrating the competition?

Make sure u post all ur plays next year so we can all see them. Oh in ur first post u made is sound like u never lose. Sorry after reading the first one i responded without reading the others. You should be a cinch to win the Espn one. Why settle for peanuts?

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

it took me exactly 6 mins to answer your question with a thorough and completely accurate answer, i'm a slow typer so rest assured that i knew the answer immediately but it took me 5 mins to type it and press submit

if you're not impressed by what i shared, you're kidding yourself and this board

gridironguy

EOG Veteran

for the record:

my elite 8 is:

l'ville
mich st
uconn
memphis
pitt
nova
unc
cuse

my final 4:
l'ville
conn
pitt
unc

final game:
uconn vs unc

champ = uconn

the huskies were by far the least favorite of the 1-seeds to win it all (according to espn sports nation poll of 300k ppl) so i went with them and i took unc to the final gm thinking the extra pts would help me

and of course, now i am rooting for uconn to lose because i could give 2 shits about the money...............no glory for me means i want to lose

J

joeybagadonuts

for the record:

my elite 8 is:

l'ville
mich st
uconn
memphis
pitt
nova
unc
cuse

my final 4:
l'ville
conn
pitt
unc

final game:
uconn vs unc

champ = uconn

the huskies were by far the least favorite of the 1-seeds to win it all (according to espn sports nation poll of 300k ppl) so i went with them and i took unc to the final gm thinking the extra pts would help me

and of course, now i am rooting for uconn to lose because i could give 2 shits about the money...............no glory for me means i want to lose

Translation- "I'm insecure, a homosexual, and I enjoying losing money".

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The answer was two words long.

Jason Richards

Nothing else. That was the reason they weren't the same team. You going into more detail makes me think you just checked an ESPN pre-season scouting report of Davidson. Jason Richards was the reason that team was great last year. He could take the ball out of Curry's hand and let him play his more natural position, SG.