Had hernia surgery today

dogball

EOG Master
IN January I had unsuccessful robotic surgery to repair a large inguinal hernia. ( intestines in balls )
Four Hours under anesthesia wasted.
This time found the right doctor who approached the surgery with an open incision. I was incredibly nervous
after the last time and throw in Covid here in NYC I was so unnerved.
This surgery with head of Columbia university hernia team went perfectly but my friggin anesthesiologis was literally 85.
I couldn’t believe it , wanted to walk out but I was all in so. I mean I knew he had to be a great doctor 25 years ago but this cat graduated med school in 1959.
anyway, in NY hospitals aren’t even officially open for elective surgeries yet but this got through the committee as they figure out how to keep everyone safe. Feel really grateful to get this incarcerated hernia out of my scrotum. I’m told this gets very painful but so far oxy keeping me level.
stay safe and healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrTop

EOG Master
glad for you dogball ... sounds like everything is going well after the surgery . Did a few tours at columbia as a patient

dogball

EOG Master
glad for you dogball ... sounds like everything is going well after the surgery . Did a few tours at columbia as a patient

What were you in for. . ? Hope it went well. The actual surgery was at the outpatient building
across from the sister hospital weil Cornell, right were my kids were born.
thanks guys. So relieved to be on the way to putting this behind me it’s been debilitating for years.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
DOGBALL is a survivor and he's now set for a new beginning.

When you've been through the pointspread wars, a medical challenge is relatively easy.

Last edited:
IN January I had unsuccessful robotic surgery to repair a large inguinal hernia. ( intestines in balls )
This time found the right doctor who approached the surgery with an open incision. I was incredibly nervous
This surgery with head of Columbia university hernia team went perfectly but my friggin anesthesiologis was literally 85.
I couldn’t believe it , wanted to walk out but I was all in so. I mean I knew he had to be a great doctor 25 years ago but this cat graduated med school in 1959.
anyway, in NY hospitals aren’t even officially open for elective surgeries yet but this got through the committee as they figure out how to keep everyone safe. Feel really grateful to get this incarcerated hernia out of my scrotum. I’m told this gets very painful but so far oxy keeping me level.
stay safe and healthy.
Wow, hoping for a speedy recovery.

dogball

EOG Master
Thank you raiders, viejo and JK. hernias are obviously not considered a serious health issue / surgery but they can become very serious in the situation I had. intestines stuck in scrotum can’t be retracted a I procrastinated a few years ago to allow that to happen. Just sharing story , always take care of your health first and fast especially as we get older.

MrTop

EOG Master
What were you in for. . ? Hope it went well. The actual surgery was at the outpatient building
across from the sister hospital weil Cornell, right were my kids were born.
thanks guys. So relieved to be on the way to putting this behind me it’s been debilitating for years.

heart & neurology

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Dogball Who the hell recommended robotic surgery for that big of a hernia? i had hernia surgery in 2011 and 2018. 2018 was a inguinal only not as bad as yours. Both surgery's different hospitals and surgeons when asked about robotic said no, robotic not as successful as cutting you open.
Any way best of luck on your recovery. it is great once healed not to have to worry about it any more.

dogball

EOG Master
My man...does it matter?

All the games are flying over...
Dogball Who the hell recommended robotic surgery for that big of a hernia? i had hernia surgery in 2011 and 2018. 2018 was a inguinal only not as bad as yours. Both surgery's different hospitals and surgeons when asked about robotic said no, robotic not as successful as cutting you open.
Any way best of luck on your recovery. it is great once healed not to have to worry about it any more.
Great inquiry, an inexperienced surgeon that I made a colossal mistake trusting.
incredible because she was supposed to convert to open if she couldn’t fix with robot
but lacked the skills Or confidence for such an endeavor.The report says they had no luck removing the intestines and feared needing a resection. She had to know this before agreeing to
surgery. glad you have recovered well and hope we both avoid repeat although I know I have one smaller one left on the other side.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Dogball as you know a hernia never gets better on its own. The other one you have you should get done when you can. Sounds like you waited on this last one a long time. Much easier surgery when they are small. Again good luck on this recovery and with the one you have remaining.

kane

EOG master
stay safe and healthy.

Being in a hospital sucks, I spent a week in one last year that felt like a month, hope you feel better and have a sppedy recovery

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated
Soon come my friend. At least I hope. Time are you usually good ? Weekends best for you?

These days doesn't matter much.I would think Fanduel(Meadowlands) will be open some time in July.I don't know what Monmouth is going to do with WH yet.I would think they might be closer to opening than Big M

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated
Careful with that oxy. Take a stool softener with it. I had hernia surgery and the oxy stopped me up. I ended up in more pain from that than surgery.

dogball

EOG Master
Careful with that oxy. Take a stool softener with it. I had hernia surgery and the oxy stopped me up. I ended up in more pain from that than surgery.
100%. I took one last night, think that’s it. The pain better today except the balls filling up. Did you have that? You have inguinal hernia?
on a softener and laxative, first BM was wicked anesthesia enough to do that. How long did it take for you to feel better

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated
100%. I took one last night, think that’s it. The pain better today except the balls filling up. Did you have that? You have inguinal hernia?
on a softener and laxative, first BM was wicked anesthesia enough to do that. How long did it take for you to feel better

I have had two. Both in stomach. Felt better in couple days. First day after surgery was worst for me. Got a buddy that is a doc. He said softener better than laxative.

I was basically ignorant regarding the oxy’s. They told me to take them so I did. I never really got the high that some get and could have done without them altogether I think. But they backed me up good and caused more pain than the surgery.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
After all I went thru in 2019 I wish you nothing but the best. We take out health for granted until something comes up. We stop taking our health for granted after that.