Has MLB "Fired" THe Yankees from being able to acquire top players?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
When the Yanks went apeshit and got CC, AJ and Tex a few years ago, it seemed to mark the 'end' of the Yanks being able to acquire the best player out there.

Teams are 'colluding' against the Yanks even though the Yanks are offering a 'better package'. (see the Cliff Lee from Seattle deal where Seattle reniged on a handshake offer, SF trading Sanchez to KC even though the Yanks could have given them something more than what KC did)

Could the MLB have made the Yanks an offer they couldnt refuse and told them to 'cool it' for a few years?

Who's to say that Cliff Lee didnt really want to go to the Yanks but MLB didnt allow it and spun it as if Cliff Lee 'just loved the Phillies'.

No doubt that the Yanks will be able to acquire top players again, but right now, its almost as if MLB and other owners won't let them get stronger. There's no problem letting the Sox and Phils to get stronger, but the Yanks are seemingly 'not allowed' to sign anyone.

Papelbon goes to Phila with a ridiculously high contract and nobody says a peep. If the Yanks did this, all hell breaks loose....its ok if other teams try to 'buy' players, but if the Yanks do it, well, that's 'bad for baseball'

Re: Has MLB "Fired" THe Yankees from being able to acquire top players?

whats bad for baseball is not having a hard salary cap. Lets see the yankees compete then. They lead the way in bad contracts.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

whats bad for baseball is not having a hard salary cap. Lets see the yankees compete then. They lead the way in bad contracts.

Incorrect. Baseball is just fine the way it is. Baseball has never been more exciting and its at an all time high in popularity. No need to 'fix' what isnt broken.

tripp

EOG Master

Who knows if the yanks even wanted Sanchez. He would be a disaster in the AL East. He's a worse version of AJ Burnett.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Who knows if the yanks even wanted Sanchez. He would be a disaster in the AL East. He's a worse version of AJ Burnett.

They wanted him for the right price.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Welp looks like it's time to turn to the farm system...shouldn't be much of a problem.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Welp looks like it's time to turn to the farm system...shouldn't be much of a problem.

You really like your MLB to be 'colluding' behind the scenes?

:+clueless

J

joeybagadonuts

:doh1

So dumb

diogee

Definitely collusion if any top free agent doesn't sign with the yankees. Sucks that these teams our pulling this to keep the Yanks down.

So the Yankees are taking bribes from the MLB to not pick-up everyone?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Definitely collusion if any top free agent doesn't sign with the yankees. Sucks that these teams our pulling this to keep the Yanks down.

So the Yankees are taking bribes from the MLB to not pick-up everyone?

No. Teams won't trade with the Yanks, that's got nothing to do with the Yanks. They wanted Cliff Lee and 'baseball' wouldnt permit it.

diogee

Nothing to do with how the fans treated his wife?

texansfan

EOG Master

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. I also heard there are witnesses who saw Bud Selig running from WTC 7 just before it fell.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Yeah, it's a conspiracy. I also heard there are witnesses who saw Bud Selig running from WTC 7 just before it fell.

Why are the Yankees not getting any good players than? Nobody is trading with them and they arent getting any top free agents. YOu have any reason why? Maybe the Yanks can't afford it? There's gotta be a reason, no?

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

Why are the Yankees not getting any good players than? Nobody is trading with them and they arent getting any top free agents. YOu have any reason why? Maybe the Yanks can't afford it? There's gotta be a reason, no?

You just got Granderson and then paid 14 million for a guy who is pitching the 7th inning!!!. Your infield makes almost 100 million- what more do you want. Lee turned down money? He's making 21 million next year, and 25 million the next 3 years after that. He didn't turn down shit. Who are the Yanks going to trade other than minor leaguers? No franchise want's any of those god awful contracts the Yanks have.

Integrity

EOG Master

the yanks are gonna have to part with montero, betances or banuelos n company if they wanna trade for a top guy and it appears they dont want to

sure, they tried to deal montero for lee, but smoak was already up and seattle went that route. that's not collusion-- just them getting a guy that was already at the major lg level

and, if the yanks have made owners not wanna deal with them, due to them stealing their FAs n such, well, that's on the yanks for creating that bitterness-- not on the other owners for having it... u reap what u sow!

Integrity

EOG Master

leave it to FK to find a way to stir us all up tho!

:ftyankees

What they need to trade for is a capable front office. Anyone can sign players batting .270 to contracts worth 18 million a year or a pitcher with an era of over 5 to 10 million a year. 75% of the GM's with Cashman's payroll wins atleast 3 more titles in the same time span. Dude is over rated.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

That's all well and good, but that's neither here nor there. I'm talking about baseball in 2011.

What's the problem- you said you were happy and content if the Yankees made the playoffs and it was a step in the right direction. Do you want me to find that post? Now you are complaining and whining because you feel no one will trade with them, and they didn't throw an absurd amount of money at someone last year.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

You even left out how MLB colluded to have these ringers - because no godfearing Yankee fan would do it - come into Yankee Stadium and spit on Lee's wife during the 2010 playoffs.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You even left out how MLB colluded to have these ringers - because no godfearing Yankee fan would do it - come into Yankee Stadium and spit on Lee's wife during the 2010 playoffs.

Maybe if his wife was wearing a Yanks jersey in Yankee stadium none of this would have happened?

I don't know, just a thought.:doh1

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Maybe just a generic shirt that says "Zoo - 5 miles....don't spit on me"?

Integrity

EOG Master

Im here to FIRE YOU FUCKERS UP!

:finger004

Haha and you do a great job of that.

Your thoughts are always outside the box, but that's good to see. Even if we disagree, you promote a lot of discussion and thought.

I always laugh when people take you too seriously, cuz I imagine you sitting back and just laughing. If someone gets mad, it's like you scored a point. Well, No runs for the Yanks and No points for FK, is what I always say!!

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Haha and you do a great job of that.

Your thoughts are always outside the box, but that's good to see. Even if we disagree, you promote a lot of discussion and thought.

I always laugh when people take you too seriously, cuz I imagine you sitting back and just laughing. If someone gets mad, it's like you scored a point. Well, No runs for the Yanks and No points for FK, is what I always say!!

I laugh a lot at some of the posts here at EOG and don't take anything seriously. Its tough being EOG's most valuable poster, but hey, someone's gotta do it! oij213490

WINNING!:cheers

Integrity

EOG Master

I laugh a lot at some of the posts here at EOG and don't take anything seriously. Its tough being EOG's most valuable poster, but hey, someone's gotta do it! oij213490

WINNING!:cheers

FK for EOG MVP! :LMAO:LMAO

Flamingo-

You're one of my favorite posters, but you lost me on this one.

You're sounding part spoiled rich kid, like the kid from "The Toy" who insist on having Richard Pryor's character as your very own toy. Even that kid realized in the end that you can't buy everything
you see. And part 'way out there guy' conspiracy theorist. *I'm a Twins fan, however, I appreciate
and watch a lot of coverage/games on YES.*

Did you ever think that George has passed, his sons may have switched from 'a win at all cost'
mantra to a 'let's win while keeping an eye on the bottom line.'

I know you're the Yankees, but at some point you need to start replenishing and developing your
farm system.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You're sounding part spoiled rich kid, like the kid from "The Toy" who insist on having Richard Pryor's character as your very own toy. Even that kid realized in the end that you can't buy everything
you see. And part 'way out there guy' conspiracy theorist. *I'm a Twins fan, however, I appreciate
and watch a lot of coverage/games on YES.*

Did you ever think that George has passed, his sons may have switched from 'a win at all cost'
mantra to a 'let's win while keeping an eye on the bottom line.'

I know you're the Yankees, but at some point you need to start replenishing and developing your
farm system.

Well, as a Twins fan, you know your recently deceased owner was amazingly wealthy, yet, didnt spend a whole lot of money trying to put a winning team on the field and yet, he didnt get any real 'flak' for hoarding money....people saved their flak for the owner who was trying like heck to do what was right by his fans and paying customers. Beats the shit out of me why a hoarding gazillionaire wasnt getting a speck of flak while the team who was 'doing the right thing' was being hammered for it.

As far as being spolied, that's not me. I just don't like to be the team singled out (because of immense success) and told, behind the scenes, "hey, cool it, you're so much better than other teams its unfair and you're ruining the sport"

Lets get on the backs of these owners who dont spend money and stick it into their bank accounts for a rainy day.

Just for the record I wasn't referring to you per say, but what you were saying as a Yankee fan.

I agree Mr. Pohlad had tons of money, but like all owners the team needs to be financially viable.
The Twins last TV contract was about 50 million, compare that to the Yankees 500 million and you
can see even good ole George wasn't spending his own currency. The Twins payroll has gone to another level due to the new stadium. Their payroll has triple in the past couple of years. The Twins may have lost 99 games last year, but they were 2nd behind the Yankees in attendance thanks to great new ballpark. Like the Yankees, the Twins now have the kids running the show--it will be fun to see where each franchise goes.