Hockey Camps Open

22 DAYS UNTIL SANITY RETURNS:

NHL Camps Open After Missed Season <!-- END HEADLINE -->
<!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->By The Associated Press 9 minutes ago

It sounds as if Philadelphia forward Keith Primeau and coach Ken Hitchcock really missed each other. A season of no hockey will do that.

"I was actually looking forward to one of his practices, so you know that it's been a long time," Primeau said Tuesday after the Flyers' first workout under the demanding coach. "You forget how difficult the practices are, but it was a great feeling to be back out there.

"I'm just really excited about the year."

There was no last year in the NHL, which became the first major North American sport to miss an entire season because of a labor dispute. But the lockout that wiped it out is gone.

So are a few of the key operatives ? Jeremy Roenick, John LeClair and Mark Recchi ? with whom the Flyers' captain shared the ice the last time the puck was dropped. It was in spring 2004, when Tampa Bay ousted Philadelphia in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals before going on to win the Stanley Cup.

"I think that it's given a lot of people, including myself, time to pause and reflect," Hitchcock said of the lockout. "All of us missed the game.

"Management misses an opportunity to build a team greatly.'

The Flyers wasted little time in building a championship contender once the lockout ended. Many of the veterans who contributed so much to their recent run of success were jettisoned and Peter Forsberg, Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and Chris Therien were among the big names brought in to help as Philadelphia tries to win the Cup for the first time since 1975.

"We all the know the moves they made and we're all excited about it," defenseman Eric Desjardins said. "It's going to be a great year."

Forsberg and Hatcher, the two top free agents the Flyers signed in the offseason, did not practice Tuesday in Vorhees, N.J., and neither is expected to play much in training camp.

Forsberg had an infected bursa sac removed from his right ankle Monday and will miss at least two weeks. Hatcher sprained his left knee at the U.S. Olympic Team's training camp and will miss three weeks.

Primeau is happy with the camaraderie.

"You get back in the room and it feels like you haven't missed a beat," he said. "To be back among the guys is a lot of fun."

Panthers

Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby, the most celebrated draft choice since team owner and teammate Mario Lemieux, certainly doesn't think his first season in the NHL will be an easy one.

"I have to get used to the size and speed of the guys," he said. "Reaction's a big part of my game, so I have to be quick out there."

The 18-year-old phenom expects to be up to speed in a few weeks.

Crosby not only is on Lemieux's team. He might even play on his line, and, at least for now, is living in Lemieux's house. Crosby moved in last week, eager to learn from the only active player in his sport who can relate to what he's about to go through as hockey's cover-boy rookie.

Lemieux, who has four children ages 9-12, is happy with the living arrangement.

"He's easy to get along with, he's chatty, he talks all the time, he gets along great with the kids and the kids love him and have a good time with him," said Lemieux, who looked outside last week to find Crosby playing driveway hockey with son Austin and daughter Stephanie.

Coyotes

A rookie coach was the center of attention in Glendale, Ariz., where Wayne Gretzky gave a hint of his style. The Great One greeted his Phoenix Coyotes then went into the stands to watch scrimmages while his assistants handled line changes.

Gretzky, who stayed on as the team's managing partner for hockey operations despite announcing on Aug. 8 that he would give coaching a try, acknowledged stepping into a realm where he might not reach the same status he attained as a player.

"I'm venturing into a new career, and I have to go out there and earn my stripes as much as anybody," he said.

Stars

Goal scorers should enjoy the game more than ever because of the new shootout rule, and the Stars immediately began practicing their breakaways. Regular-season games tied after three periods and overtime will be decided for the first time by skaters against goalies in a penalty-shot tiebreaker.

"We're just kind of easing into things and getting a feel for the new rules, which I think is going to make a big impact on the game," captain Mike Modano said after veteran-laden Dallas' first session in suburban Frisco.

Sabres

Holdover Martin Biron says the starting job is his. Mika Noronen isn't content with being the backup. And Ryan Miller is growing frustrated after spending three years in the minors.

Buffalo's goal crease looks awfully crowded.

"It's my job," Byron claimed.

"Don't know," Noronen said.

"I'm just going to have to play good hockey and not worry about these things," Miller explained.

Thrashers

Peter Bondra was there, but Ilya Kovalchuk was not when Atlanta opened with a full-speed workout that left the team's newest player gasping for breath. The 37-year-old Bondra said he's never been through such a strenuous practice on the first day.

"But we're all going to benefit from this hard work," he said. The better shape we're in, the better we'll be on the ice."

But the Thrashers have yet to sign Kovalchuk, a 41-goal scorer in the last season before the lockout. His agent says Kovalchuk might continue to play in his native Russia is a deal can't be worked out with Atlanta.

Flames

Jarome Iginla is ready for the greater expectations that come from being a Western Conference champion.

The Calgary captain said the Flames need to understand that after the team's unlikely run through the playoffs all the way to a Game 7 loss to Tampa Bay for the 2004 Stanley Cup.

"It awakens something you never even knew you had when you're that close ? so we'll have to work at finding that chemistry again," said Iginla, who led the Flames with 41 goals in their magnificent quest.

Kings

Jeremy Roenick skated off the ice and pronounced his first workout with the Los Angeles Kings as "awful, terrible, but it was exciting."

Fresh from a vacation in Italy, the 35-year-old Roenick was not surprised by that.

The nine-time All-Star center, acquired from Philadelphia in August, didn't play during the lockout and skated only 10 times.

"If you've been off 18 months and you're 35, 36 years old, it takes a little longer to get back in the swing of things," he said.

Red Wings

Goaltender Chris Osgood began his second stint with the Red Wings "excited" and "fired up."

After spending freely on goalies Dominic Hasek and Curtis Joseph in past seasons, Detroit is taking a more frugal approach by turning the goaltending duties over to Osgood and Manny Legace as it seeks a fourth Stanley Cup since 1997. "It's different, that's for sure," Legace said. "They didn't bring in a guy making $9 million."

<!-- END STORY BODY -->

<!-- END MAIN CONTENT --><!-- BEGIN FOOTER -->

<!-- start footer --><SCRIPT language=javascript> var ADFadids = "1894153,2910504,2852906,1030392"; function ADFlaunch() {var w; var l="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12eu2vjc3/M=224039.1983420.3465435.1919853/D=news/S=8903589:FOOT/_ylt=Aodtjd3TM3GQ4OhBOfLq9kql24cA/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1126667104/A=1030392/R=0/id=adfeedback/SIG=12fqbgvfv/*http://surveys.yahoo.com/user_ad_feedback?source=8903589:FOOT&.q28=news&.q26="+ADFadids; w=window.open(l,"AdFeedbackWin","toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable,location=no,height=400,width=640"); }</SCRIPT><TABLE width=750><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- SpaceID=8903589 loc=FSRVY noad --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=pcwFhM6.I3oq_AnKQyXQeAEuQtTk8UMnd0AAC3.E&T=17f1sv1u9%2fX%3d1126659904%2fE%3d8903589%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1243279145%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtob2NrZXk7aXQ7TkhMO0FtZXJpY2FuO3B1Y2s7U3RhbmxleSBDdXA7aG91c2U7R29hbHRlbmRlciI-%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d4D23BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=129udunml%2fN%3dH7nc7s6.Ir8-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dFSRVY%2fB%3d-1');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> </NOSCRIPT><!-- SpaceID=8903589 loc=FR001 noad --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=pcwFhM6.I3oq_AnKQyXQeAEuQtTk8UMnd0AAC3.E&T=17f1j73fn%2fX%3d1126659904%2fE%3d8903589%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3653841921%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtob2NrZXk7aXQ7TkhMO0FtZXJpY2FuO3B1Y2s7U3RhbmxleSBDdXA7aG91c2U7R29hbHRlbmRlciI-%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d4D23BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139n05mbr%2fN%3dG7nc7s6.Ir8-%2fC%3d224039.1983420.3465435.1919853%2fD%3dFOOT%2fB%3d1030392');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> </NOSCRIPT>
<!-- This page is brought to you by the letter I, the number 4 and p14.news.re2.yahoo.com. --><!-- recent_timestamp 2005/09/13 17:55:19 [86400] --><!-- END FOOTER --><!-- END MAIN CONTAINER --><!-- END OUTTER WRAP --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.0.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a) yzq_a('p', 'P=pcwFhM6.I3oq_AnKQyXQeAEuQtTk8UMnd0AAC3.E&T=17f51g7ve%2fX%3d1126659904%2fE%3d8903589%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d9%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d4027892813%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtob2NrZXk7aXQ7TkhMO0FtZXJpY2FuO3B1Y2s7U3RhbmxleSBDdXA7aG91c2U7R29hbHRlbmRlciI-%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d4D23BECE');if (window.yzq_gb && window.yzq4) yzq4();else if (window.yzq_eh) yzq_eh();</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> </NOSCRIPT><!-- p14.news.re2.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Tue Sep 13 18:05:04 PDT 2005 -->

Bet Scoring

Bet Scoring

I heard that the shootout winner will be considered the last goal for gambling purposes so if you have OVER 6 and it's 3-3 going to OT then you already won same as you would in a playoff game or a baseball game. Shootout winner would make the score 4-3 if no one scores in OT. Lines can now be money lines or -1.5 like baseball.

General

General

Comcast owned OLN Network (ch.608 on Directv) and on all cable services will carry the old ESPN bulk of games. NBC has some select weekend games in the spring as ABC used to.

TV Press Release from last month:

<TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>NHL releases TV schedule

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=440 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Associated Press

<!-- Meta Tag For Search --><!-- meta name="author" content=""--><!-- meta name="source" content="AP"--><!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--><!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="blurb" content="The NHL returns to TV on Oct. 5 when the Outdoor Life Network broadcasts the opening night game between the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers.The league released its television schedule for NBC and OLN on Wednesday as it prepares to resume play after last season was wiped out by a lockout."--><!-- meta name="modDate" content="September 1, 2005 01:05:11 GMT"--><SCRIPT> // front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none'; </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width=10></TD><TD align=right><!--this is for sponsorships or brandings--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- workingCategoryId: 142--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bdy cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=770 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=10></TD><TD width=440><!-- search:</noindex> --><SCRIPT> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msnfantasy.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>NEW YORK (AP) - The NHL returns to TV on Oct. 5 when the Outdoor Life Network broadcasts the opening night game between the Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers.

The league released its television schedule for NBC and OLN on Wednesday as it prepares to resume play after last season was wiped out by a lockout.

OLN, which will broadcast 58 regular-season games primarily on Monday and Tuesday night, will also show the national television debut of top draft pick Sidney Crosby when the Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Buffalo Sabres on Oct. 10. The Wayne Gretzky-coached Phoenix Coyotes will be on the air on Oct. 11 when they face Dallas.

OLN, mostly known for showing Lance Armstrong and the Tour de France, takes over hockey cable broadcasts from ESPN this year after its parent company, Comcast Corp., paid $135 million for the broadcast rights. The cable network - available in 64 million households as compared to the 90 million that have ESPN - has a two-year deal to show NHL games. OLN will also show early-round playoff games, the conference finals and the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals. NBC will then take over for the rest of the championship series. NBC begins its regular-season Saturday afternoon coverage on Jan. 14. The NHL's two-year deal with NBC for over-the-air broadcasts begins this season. That is a profit-sharing arrangement, a deal similar to what the network has with the Arena Football League in which it pays no rights fee to televise games

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

chach

EOG Member
Can't wait! I LOVE how they've created more of an even playing field and hopefull NFL-style parity with the salary cap. It was beginning to turn into a market system like baseball and we all know how much that sucks for the 20 temas that start every year with NO chance.

Hopefully the new rules lead to more scoring too. Go Flames Go!!