Horse racing 101, lets go to the videotape.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Horse racing 101, lets go to the videotape.

I just watched the replay from Golden Gate Fields (7th race on January 2) and it seems to me that FK saw something that wasn't there.

Why don't you explain to me what i saw that wasnt there. I'm not following you.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

You wrote the horse finished with interest under the line and galloped out with energy.

That's fiction.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You wrote the horse finished with interest under the line and galloped out with energy.

That's fiction.

Ok, let me try and explain this in as much detail as i can.

If you disagree with me that the horse did NOT finish with interest and did NOT gallop out with energy, you need to really show me an example, on another videotape, of a horse who HAS energy and interest on the gallop out because i can't know what your own personal definition of energy and interest is unless you show me.

My opinion is that this horse finished with interest and energy. Quite often, first time starters won't exert themselves fully during the race, they'll be looking around and fascinated with the sights and sounds and not really being 100 percent focused or giving 100 percent effort during the main part of the race, so, when they flash thru the finish line, they have a 'little something left' . Thus, when a horse like this is reserved in the back of the pack and isnt abused by the rider, its quite normal that this horse will finish with interest and energy.

Im not really sure what 2WPS or your own version of interest and energy is.....its quite possible that we could be seeing two totally different things. What my eyes saw was energy under the line on the pan shot, the jock had his 2 hands in the holds at the wire and then, on the gallop out, in my opinion, the horse was running well, had bounce to his step and had energy and interest. 2WPS asked me for the time stamp on what i saw and when, than i gave it to him and he gave me an LOL and never seemed to want to discuss this further.

Now, as we all know, one of the great things about horse racing and viewing tapes is that not everyone sees the same exact things. Two people can look at the same race and see something completely different.

I'd love to continue this conversation with you and 2WPS in a civil way, hopefully you guys can come up with an example of what you deem to be energy and interest, because it seems that our definitions are completely different.

Interest and energy, to me, is a milder version of 'full of run'. If you watch this horse on the Jan 2 race and you see the 'gallop out', he appears on the screen at 131 of the tape. What he's doing there, to me, is my version of interest and energy. That horse still was eager to 'do it' at that point under the wire, just as he was earlier on Saturday, you can see him barnstorming after the wire, he's just that type of horse and he's done the 'after the wire' thing twice in his career, he's 2 for 2 doing that.

Give the guy a break, he posts his thoughts on a race and he gets crusified. 2w2p2s with a name like that why don't you try to educate posters on horse racing? Give FK credit, obviously he seen something and felt like posting it. Good job FK, if this horse won yesterday there would've been alot of nice job etc.. Noone will take the time out to disect videos to conclude which race is a workout etc. YES it does happen, alot more so in trotters than the flats. Personally I hate Aron Gryder, but thats just me. Maybe this horse wants to go longer, did the hop in the air happen right out of the gate? If so maybe he needs to be free coming out of the gate without being pushed and the longer distance might make tons the difference. I enjoyed the read, there are so many angles to watch for in horse racing, I am sure 2W2P2S thinks he knows them all but believe me he doesn't. If you think horses are not just sat on by jockeys for the ride and a cheap workout, think again, it does happen. But like I said more so in trotters than the flats. Stay on this horse FK, he will win at a price better than 7/2. :houra

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Give the guy a break, he posts his thoughts on a race and he gets crusified. 2w2p2s with a name like that why don't you try to educate posters on horse racing? Give FK credit, obviously he seen something and felt like posting it. Good job FK, if this horse won yesterday there would've been alot of nice job etc.. Noone will take the time out to disect videos to conclude which race is a workout etc. YES it does happen, alot more so in trotters than the flats. Personally I hate Aron Gryder, but thats just me. Maybe this horse wants to go longer, did the hop in the air happen right out of the gate? If so maybe he needs to be free coming out of the gate without being pushed and the longer distance might make tons the difference. I enjoyed the read, there are so many angles to watch for in horse racing, I am sure 2W2P2S thinks he knows them all but believe me he doesn't. If you think horses are not just sat on by jockeys for the ride and a cheap workout, think again, it does happen. But like I said more so in trotters than the flats. Stay on this horse FK, he will win at a price better than 7/2. :houra

Thank you WL, i appreciate the vote of confidence. I basically got hammered in this thread because one person didnt share the same opinion as i did, but that's ok.

I think you're right, this horse looked good late, hopefully the 'flashy' gallop out didnt ruin his price for next time. Yeah, the hop was pretty noticible out of the gate, totally cost him position. Not sure the hop cost him the race, because the winner was decent enough, but he would have been closer. I was happy with the +350 on the "Money Line" and would play a horse like this again.

I hear what you're saying, if the horse would have won, i wouldnt have been abused, i would have gotten a few attaboys and whatnut.

Thanks again.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Seems too complicated for me. I will just try to keep making profits playing stale matchup lines on the big events. Miss the good old days where I was once guaranteed 2900 bucks on arbitrages on the derby if the worst case scenario happened. Love horse racing, but consider it an entertainment type endeavor like most when I go to the track. Try to walk out even if I can and have a good time like the average joe. The take is too high for me to consider taking it any more seriously than that.

mazeltrick

EOG Addicted

i will consistently obliterate even a 30 cent line on horse matchups. limits have been reduced and lines eventually taken down at every single shop i've ever played. standing offer to play $.30 lines against anyone who will book them on SoCal racing matchups.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Mazel, What about a 10% rebate plus 10 cents over the track mutual on win bets..?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thank you WL, i appreciate the vote of confidence. I basically got hammered in this thread because one person didnt share the same opinion as i did, but that's ok.

I think you're right, this horse looked good late, hopefully the 'flashy' gallop out didnt ruin his price for next time. Yeah, the hop was pretty noticible out of the gate, totally cost him position. Not sure the hop cost him the race, because the winner was decent enough, but he would have been closer. I was happy with the +350 on the "Money Line" and would play a horse like this again.

I hear what you're saying, if the horse would have won, i wouldnt have been abused, i would have gotten a few attaboys and whatnut.

Thanks again.

The results of the January 21st race would not have changed my views on the January 2nd review.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

I'll PM you next week. I'm working on it. The guy is good as gold too when I used to deal w him. One caveat, I used to have to give the order by noon and I only played NY. I'll tell him there is interest in SoCal now...

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

The results of the January 21st race would not have changed my views on the January 2nd review.

Nor mine, it was a completely different race. A good replay of the gallop out could be seen on the replay of the Jan 21st race. It could not be seen on the Jan. 2nd race. Gaging by the split seconds you see it is laughable, and not at all what was described............I think FK knows this, and just won't admit he's wrong. The "I may have been there live and seen it" tells me all I need to know when I'm addressing what's seen in a replay. FK posts a "101" class on replays and when called out has to find the only 2 seconds it can be seen. I'm an A-hole for pointing out it's reckless to post misinformation on a gambling board. I'm good with that.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Nor mine, it was a completely different race. A good replay of the gallop out could be seen on the replay of the Jan 21st race. It could not be seen on the Jan. 2nd race. Gaging by the split seconds you see it is laughable, and not at all what was described............I think FK knows this, and just won't admit he's wrong. The "I may have been there live and seen it" tells me all I need to know when I'm addressing what's seen in a replay. FK posts a "101" class on replays and when called out has to find the only 2 seconds it can be seen. I'm an A-hole for pointing out it's reckless to post misinformation on a gambling board. I'm good with that.

My comment that i might have been there live was directed at your 'show me the point on the replay' where you saw this gallop out because at that point in time, you didnt know if i was there live or not, you just jumped to a conclusion that i was not there live and what i saw (or didnt see) must have been something on the videotape.

I'm still looking for an explanation from you on what your definition of 'interest and energy' is in gallop out land. Do you have an example for me? I'm trying to figure out what you're looking at on tape to determine that my opinion is wrong. Why exactly do you think that my horse didnt gallop out with energy and interest and secondly, what is your definition of energy and interest.

No need to be smug and arrogant because any 'misinformation' you seem to see, is just your opinion vs my opinion, its nothing more or nothing less. If you didnt think this horse galloped out well on Jan 2, that's your OPINION, its not a fact and yet, you're trying to twist this into a fact. We're talking about something a horse did on tape, which is completely open to interpretation. I interpret things how i want and you interpret things how you want. There's really no reason to take personal shots at me because you disagree with my opinion.

Is there any way we can actually discuss this rationally, or is that something you're not interested in?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

So, explain to me exactly what you saw on Jan 2 and why you think the horse didnt have interest under the line and energy after the line. Did you think the horse was 'tired' when he flashed under the line with 'run'? I'm looking for more than one sentence and i'm looking for a technical review from you on this or any other horse. Lets figure out what you feel is 'interest and energy' on the gallop out. Maybe our definition's of that are two different things, i'd like to see where you're coming from.

J

joeybagadonuts

Flamingo is a donkey. You got so exposed here, FK.

You have them NOT believing at EOG.

CLAP CLAP CLAP

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

CLAP CLAP CLAP

FK is an ass hole too. Someone once said that the less posts, the smarter the poster and vice versa. It does make some sense. What does that say FK and his patheticness? A lot.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

CLAP CLAP CLAP

Um, not quite.

Still waiting for JK and WPS to answer my questions.

I wouldnt be cheerleading two guys who play hit and run, gang up on one poster, than leave without getting into the finer points of my discussion.

Maybe i made a mistake trying to be constructive and actually contribute something positive to EOG. You know nothing about horse racing yet youre in a horse racing thread just trying to drag it down while contributing nothing positively to the actual discussion, just trying to shit all over the thread, congratulations, youve succeded.

Um, not quite.

Still waiting for JK and WPS to answer my questions.

I wouldnt be cheerleading two guys who play hit and run, gang up on one poster, than leave without getting into the finer points of my discussion.

Maybe i made a mistake trying to be constructive and actually contribute something positive to EOG. You know nothing about horse racing yet youre in a horse racing thread just trying to drag it down while contributing nothing positively to the actual discussion, just trying to shit all over the thread, congratulations, youve succeded.

YES YOU DID CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING POSITIVE TO EOG. but unless you are part of the click (3 posters and 25 ghosts), you won't get a thanks for adding anything. You saw what you seen, wanted to acknowledge it here and you get ridiculed about it, go figure. Like I said if that horse won do you think JK or 2W2P2S would've said anything, NO they would've said great job FK. you took the time to post this thread starter, with insight on a horse you felt was being out for a jiggy jog. those 2 guys didn't see the same you did, thats their thoughts on it. But to call you out as saying false info is not correct. :+clueless

Its clique. Get educated. :pop:

Is that the best you can do, correct my spelling? Take this time to read your racing form and come up with some more losers. And for BrickShitFace, I do mention that he had a $90 winner and for that Luca is even considered the best horse capper on this forum, I don't argue that at all. Do I bet Lucas horses NO I don't. Never did and won't start now, he blew his load on that $90 winner. Feel sorry for any newcomer trying to catch a winner following this guy.:shoot:

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Is that the best you can do, correct my spelling? Take this time to read your racing form and come up with some more losers. And for BrickShitFace, I do mention that he had a $90 winner and for that Luca is even considered the best horse capper on this forum, I don't argue that at all. Do I bet Lucas horses NO I don't. Never did and won't start now, he blew his load on that $90 winner. Feel sorry for any newcomer trying to catch a winner following this guy.:shoot:

It was more than spelling dopey.

Let everyone else decide if u bet

Ray your first one ran 2nd @ 8/1.Your 5th race horse is now 2/1 , is he a play?

http://forums.eog.com/showthread.php?t=325908&highlight=

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

My comment that i might have been there live was directed at your 'show me the point on the replay' where you saw this gallop out because at that point in time, you didnt know if i was there live or not, you just jumped to a conclusion that i was not there live and what i saw (or didnt see) must have been something on the videotape.

I'm still looking for an explanation from you on what your definition of 'interest and energy' is in gallop out land. Do you have an example for me? I'm trying to figure out what you're looking at on tape to determine that my opinion is wrong. Why exactly do you think that my horse didnt gallop out with energy and interest and secondly, what is your definition of energy and interest.

No need to be smug and arrogant because any 'misinformation' you seem to see, is just your opinion vs my opinion, its nothing more or nothing less. If you didnt think this horse galloped out well on Jan 2, that's your OPINION, its not a fact and yet, you're trying to twist this into a fact. We're talking about something a horse did on tape, which is completely open to interpretation. I interpret things how i want and you interpret things how you want. There's really no reason to take personal shots at me because you disagree with my opinion.

Is there any way we can actually discuss this rationally, or is that something you're not interested in?

OK, against my better judgement. First and foremost, I addressed one issue in regards to a thread of "lets go the videotape"; a thread where you labeled it "101" on replay analysis. I addressed your comment on the gallop out. There was no video replay of the gallop out. Pointing to the split seconds where the horse appears at the wire and a few strides after is not the gallop out. It's not even close. You are pointing out something that JK labeled well-"fiction". How can I argue about what you saw, when what you saw wasn't a gallop out? And then you try and bring up the point of "maybe I saw it live, you're assuming I wasn't there".............well, the thread was on replay analysis, not on your personal observations at the track. The point of the the thread was "let's go to the videotape", and then you want to defend your position by saying you "might have been there live". Yes, and I may be the owner of the horse, you're assuming I'm not. Neither one has anything to do with analyzing a replay, and the mentioned gallop out. To bring it up makes no sense. And to say I wouldn't have said anything if the horse won is stupid. I noticed the thread Sat. night, went to look at the replay, and was completely thrown for what I saw (in this case didn't see).

Now I'll make a couple observations that may help. 1st, I agree with some of the "non-replay" angles in the OP. The fact that Gryder got on a for a low-profile trainer is important. The fact that he stuck around for the 2nd start even more important. Nothing wrong with that anlysis. Big time jock- small connections always solid. The fact he got on a 1ster, and stuck around for that trainer, is more solid. I agree with you on those angles.

Analyzing the gallop out-
I'll preface this by saying it's something I pay extremely close attention to, but it has to be used for handicapping in it's proper context. Let's assume they did show the gallop out on the horse (or you saw it live). The expectation for a stronger wager should have been the horse is going to go longer, not shorter. When you're talking about a 1ster or layoff horse, and analyzing a workout, often times you'll see a horse is "short". The gallop out will look anything but impressive, but that's more a signal that the trainer is giving him one then a stong gallop out. The work pattern that folllows that debut, or comeback race is important. That race tightened the screws, and a much improved 2nd out can be expected. If the 1ster, or the layoff horse gallops out well, unless he's pointed to go further, he was probably pretty fit heading into the race. When he returns in the same distance (or .5F shorter in this case) the previous gallop holds very little importance. It can actually be viewed as a negative. I certainly don't want a horse that shows he wants to go further to be shortening up (unless the race is filled with need the leads). Think of it in the opposite way- A horse sprints 6F's then hits the wall on the gallop out. If he's entered at 1M in his next start, he's a toss. If he's entered at 5.5F's he's upgraded over the 6F distance because of a lousy gallop out.

The biggest use of analyzing a gallop out, is gauging if a horse wants more or less ground in his upcoming races. The exception is the horse with a troubled race that's not able to level until very late in the race.............now, I've analyzed gallop outs on replays for a very long time, and determined it the best way to determine the peak distance for a horse. But you don't have to believe me. The greatest claiming trainer in the game, Mike Mitchell, does the exact same thing. He is excellent at claiming horses and making them stakes quality distance horses. When asked about a year ago on a local radio station here how he has so much success claiming and getting horses to go longer, his response- "I watch the gallop outs."

The January 21st race, shows a good gallop horse by your horse. I'd expect 5.5F was too short, and better at a further distance...........it's also important to remember the gallop out is gauged against the level of competion the horse is running against.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks for your insight, 2W2P2S.

The only clique here at EOG should be the gamblers' clique.

I like to think everyone is someone here at the "G."

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

William Lee also thinks the Italian Captain steered the hell out of that ship.

J

joeybagadonuts

William Lee also thinks the Italian Captain steered the hell out of that ship.

And Flamingo Kid 'may or may not have been there to see it live'

:scooter

Ray Luca

EOG Master

An absolute fantastic post by 2W2P2S for the novice and expert horseplayers. I used to have a notebook back in the day with all my notes on the gallop out. I made some serious finds observing them. I really don't do it at all anymore.

I was wondering if you pay just as much attention to the pre-race warm-up..?

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

An absolute fantastic post by 2W2P2S for the novice and expert horseplayers. I used to have a notebook back in the day with all my notes on the gallop out. I made some serious finds observing them. I really don't do it at all anymore.

I was wondering if you pay just as much attention to the pre-race warm-up..?

TY Ray. And absolutely...I think I've posted to you before I only wager the So Cal circuit, it's because of the intimate knowledge of the horses and connections. It's nice to know the pre-race antics of a horse, and any noticeable changes before a race. Of course that's impossible with 1sters and shippers, and difficult to keep track of that many horses. But my wagering amounts are definitely influenced by a horse's looks on the track.......and I've violated the cancel button rules many a times.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

TY Ray. And absolutely...I think I've posted to you before I only wager the So Cal circuit, it's because of the intimate knowledge of the horses and connections. It's nice to know the pre-race antics of a horse, and any noticeable changes before a race. Of course that's impossible with 1sters and shippers, and difficult to keep track of that many horses. But my wagering amounts are definitely influenced by a horse's looks on the track.......and I've violated the cancel button rules many a times.

Crick, what are the differences, if any, between attending the races and watching from home?

I've always felt I had a better "feel" for the product when I'm roaming around the grandstand, clubhouse, infield, paddock, etc.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Crick, what are the differences, if any, between attending the races and watching from home?

I've always felt I had a better "feel" for the product when I'm roaming around the grandstand, clubhouse, infield, paddock, etc.

I agree with you, and you can obviously pick up more being there live then you can watching the in-house feed. But the sacrifice is the ease of the wagers as close to the opening of the gate as possible, or the cancelling of the wagers. Weighing both, I just find it works much better for me to wager from home. That isn't to say I don't go to the track during races at times, I still do.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

OK, against my better judgement. First and foremost, I addressed one issue in regards to a thread of "lets go the videotape"; a thread where you labeled it "101" on replay analysis. I addressed your comment on the gallop out. There was no video replay of the gallop out. Pointing to the split seconds where the horse appears at the wire and a few strides after is not the gallop out. It's not even close. You are pointing out something that JK labeled well-"fiction". How can I argue about what you saw, when what you saw wasn't a gallop out? And then you try and bring up the point of "maybe I saw it live, you're assuming I wasn't there".............well, the thread was on replay analysis, not on your personal observations at the track. The point of the the thread was "let's go to the videotape", and then you want to defend your position by saying you "might have been there live". Yes, and I may be the owner of the horse, you're assuming I'm not. Neither one has anything to do with analyzing a replay, and the mentioned gallop out. To bring it up makes no sense. And to say I wouldn't have said anything if the horse won is stupid. I noticed the thread Sat. night, went to look at the replay, and was completely thrown for what I saw (in this case didn't see).

Now I'll make a couple observations that may help. 1st, I agree with some of the "non-replay" angles in the OP. The fact that Gryder got on a for a low-profile trainer is important. The fact that he stuck around for the 2nd start even more important. Nothing wrong with that anlysis. Big time jock- small connections always solid. The fact he got on a 1ster, and stuck around for that trainer, is more solid. I agree with you on those angles.

Analyzing the gallop out-
I'll preface this by saying it's something I pay extremely close attention to, but it has to be used for handicapping in it's proper context. Let's assume they did show the gallop out on the horse (or you saw it live). The expectation for a stronger wager should have been the horse is going to go longer, not shorter. When you're talking about a 1ster or layoff horse, and analyzing a workout, often times you'll see a horse is "short". The gallop out will look anything but impressive, but that's more a signal that the trainer is giving him one then a stong gallop out. The work pattern that folllows that debut, or comeback race is important. That race tightened the screws, and a much improved 2nd out can be expected. If the 1ster, or the layoff horse gallops out well, unless he's pointed to go further, he was probably pretty fit heading into the race. When he returns in the same distance (or .5F shorter in this case) the previous gallop holds very little importance. It can actually be viewed as a negative. I certainly don't want a horse that shows he wants to go further to be shortening up (unless the race is filled with need the leads). Think of it in the opposite way- A horse sprints 6F's then hits the wall on the gallop out. If he's entered at 1M in his next start, he's a toss. If he's entered at 5.5F's he's upgraded over the 6F distance because of a lousy gallop out.

The biggest use of analyzing a gallop out, is gauging if a horse wants more or less ground in his upcoming races. The exception is the horse with a troubled race that's not able to level until very late in the race.............now, I've analyzed gallop outs on replays for a very long time, and determined it the best way to determine the peak distance for a horse. But you don't have to believe me. The greatest claiming trainer in the game, Mike Mitchell, does the exact same thing. He is excellent at claiming horses and making them stakes quality distance horses. When asked about a year ago on a local radio station here how he has so much success claiming and getting horses to go longer, his response- "I watch the gallop outs."

The January 21st race, shows a good gallop horse by your horse. I'd expect 5.5F was too short, and better at a further distance...........it's also important to remember the gallop out is gauged against the level of competion the horse is running against.

FK after this level of ownership I'd disappear, also. This is like fetal position whimpering style domination.

You probably have been in the shower for the last week trying to wash yourself clean.

But this is the kind of stank that don't wash off.

J

joeybagadonuts

FK loves the abuse.

He will 100% be back. The guy is a nutjob and proven wrong all the time and he has never stayed away long in the past.

pbovi

EOG Dedicated

Going to the track should be for pleasure purposes, and not for serious gamblers. True horseplayers are 'handicapped' by being at the track in so much that they risk being shut out at the expense of some 10 cent novice superfecta player who treats the automated machine like a pay phone or a john in believing he has territorial rights once he has access. Beyond that, instant access to replays, exotic pools, will pays and detailed trainer information are invaluable and not nearly as conveniently retrieved when at the track. As far as replays go, they are subject to interpretation as people see things differently and often they way they choose to see them. Beyond the post parade, the best information I get from the track is spotting a trainer with his double breasted sport jacket which means he is poised for having his picture taken in the winners circle.