INDIANAPOLIS COLTS News and Notes for 2007/2008

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Re: INDIANAPOLIS COLTS News and Notes for 2007/2008

Colts running back Joseph Addai earned his first Pro Bowl selection Tuesday, and safety Bob Sanders was one of four other Indianapolis players chosen to represent the AFC.

Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning, center Jeff Saturday and receiver Reggie Wayne also made the team. Sanders, Wayne and Saturday were all named as starters for the Feb. 10 game in Honolulu.

You can't get too focused about it," Sanders said last week in anticipation of his second career selection. "It's definitely great to get recognized by your peers and the fans."

Sanders returned from an injury in last season's playoffs and sparked a dramatic defensive turnaround. He was the only Indianapolis defender chosen.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, he has anchored the league's No. 1 pass defense as the Colts lost three starters from last year's Super Bowl winning team in free agency and three more -- defensive tackle Anthony McFarland, linebacker Rob Morris and former sacks champion Dwight Freeney -- to season-ending injuries.

Sanders ranks second on the team with 119 tackles, has 2 1/2 sacks, one interception and one fumble recovery, but his most important contribution has been staying healthy. After fighting through injuries each of his first three seasons, Sanders has missed just one game this year and has excelled playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

"I enjoy it," said Sanders, who made his first Pro Bowl appearance in 2005. "It's definitely the strength of my game, being down in the box, and I've gotten a good grasp of seeing what's going on. It's been a lot of work."

Addai became the third Colts' running back to open his career with two straight 1,000-yard seasons. He ranks third in the NFL with 11 TDs rushing in his first season as Indy's feature back.

He was chosen over Jacksonville's Fred Taylor, a player who has never made it to Hawaii, even though coach Tony Dungy said Monday he thought Taylor deserved a Pro Bowl selection. Addai also has 39 receptions for 351 yards and three TDs.

"I guess it doesn't always go to who is having the best year, and there are always guys who don't make it that should," Dungy said. "But Joe is having a great year, and you're always happy when your guys make it."

Manning, Wayne and Saturday were all expected to make the team.

Manning, who will not start this year, has made it to Hawaii eight times in 10 seasons and is closing in on yet another 4,000-yard, 30-touchdown season. He's also moving up the NFL career charts, ranking fourth in career TD passes (303) and ninth in yards passing (41,220).

Saturday is going to Hawaii for the third straight year after helping lead the Colts offense to its 10th straight 5,000-yard season.

Wayne is making his second straight appearance after breaking through in 2006. He has 82 receptions for 1,280 yards, second in the AFC, and five 100-yard games. It's the ninth straight year the Colts have sent a receiver to the Pro Bowl.

This time, he will not be joined by the Colts perennial Pro Bowler, Marvin Harrison. After making eight straight Pro Bowl appearances between 1999 and 2006, the most of any Colts player in the Indy era, Harrison's season was derailed by a left knee injury in October. He has missed the last eight games and nine of the last 10.

Only two Colts -- Gino Marchetti and John Unitas -- have been selected to more Pro Bowls than Harrison and Manning. Marchetti and Unitas each played in 10 Pro Bowls during the 1950s and 1960s when the Colts called Baltimore home. Marchetti also was selected an 11th time but did not play in 1958 and was not credited with an appearance.

Addai, Sanders top list of Colts players headed to Pro Bowl - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Yes, the Indianapolis Colts are on a five-game winning streak, have a 12-2 overall record, have clinched a fifth straight AFC South crown and have nailed down the No. 2 seed in the upcoming AFC playoffs.

But despite all that success, the Colts continue to be a work-in-progress. According to head coach Tony Dungy, Indianapolis hopes to use the final two regular-season games against Houston this week and Tennessee on Dec. 30 as a springboard into the postseason.

"We have to get better. That's what we talked to the team about (Wednesday) morning. We had two days off after the Raiders game. We won it (21-14) but I don't think anybody was overly happy with our performance. We made some mistakes that can haunt you if (you) play that way in the postseason," Dungy said.

"So we want to practice well (this week). We want to come out and play sharp. We want to win the ball game (against the Texans). But more than anything else, we just want to make improvement from last week. I think if we do that, we'll be in good shape."

One area of concern for Indianapolis, at least offensively, has been the lack of a consistent running game over the past six weeks. Second-year running back Joseph Addai hasn't gotten close to a 100-yard rushing performance during that time span.

"I think, offensively, we can improve in a lot of areas," quarterback Peyton Manning admitted. "From last week's game and the overall execution, you want to try to get back to being a little more balanced if we can as far as being able to run it on first down effectively, to drop back and pass and to throw in a little play action.

"All three of those things kind of feed off one another. So overall, offensively, we'd like to improve this week and play better against Houston."

Part of the problem with the Colts' running game can be traced, at least partially, to the spate of injuries along the offensive line. Consistency and continuity have been somewhat of a problem this season.

"Right now, especially for us up front, we're not very happy with our performance coming out of Oakland. So we need to get back on the field and get some things cleaned up and work towards being a better playoff team. That's really all we're focused on right now," center Jeff Saturday said.

"I think it's a number of factors (why the running game is struggling a bit right now). But obviously we need to run better than we are. So whatever we have to do to fix (it) internally, we'll take care of it. I know, from my own perspective, I'd like to see a little better numbers than we have. I don't care about total yards. But I do want our yards per carry to be higher than it has been and do that for Joe. So that's our goal."

SERIES HISTORY: 12th meeting. Colts lead series, 10-1. Indianapolis won the first meeting of the two teams this season, posting a 30-24 decision at Reliant Stadium on Sept. 23. The last time the two franchises met in a December game, the Texans posted a 27-24 win (Dec. 24, 2006) at Houston. It's their only win in the 11-game history of the series. Over their last three meetings, the Texans have averaged 25 points against Indianapolis. Houston had averaged 13.6 points in its previous eight meetings. The Colts are averaging 30.1 points in their previous 11 meetings with Houston. Colts coach Tony Dungy has a 10-1 career coaching record against Houston. Texans coach Gary Kubiak has a 1-2 career coaching record against the Colts.

FOX Sports on MSN - NFL - Indianapolis Colts Team Report

nydoc

EOG Dedicated

like houston this week. line is 7. lots of colt starters wont play. doubt starters will play whole game

The General

Good luck on your play.

Drafted to slow Peyton Manning, Texans' Mario Williams hasn't yet.

When the Houston Texans drafted Mario Williams, owner Bob McNair said a big reason they chose him was so they could beat Peyton Manning and the Colts.

The Texans did get their first win over Indianapolis last season, but Williams didn't have much to do with it.

In three meetings with the Colts, Williams hasn't sacked Manning, but he has gotten the quarterback's attention with his recent play.

"In the film that we've seen of him, he is what we call a disruptive guy and he's certainly a guy that I think you'll be paying attention to on every single play," Manning said.

Williams is second in the NFL with 13 sacks this season and has nine in his past five games. He is the only player in the league to have at least one sack in each of the past five games.

He had a career-high 3 1/2 sacks in last week's win over Denver.

"He's an excellent player," Manning said. "He's really playing at a high level -- really kind of took over the Broncos game himself in a lot of ways and put a lot of pressure on their passing game."

Williams hopes to get that kind of pressure on Manning this week when the Texans look to win their eighth game for the first time in franchise history. He said Manning and the Colts present a number of different challenges.

"It's just the whole thing," he said. "It's the offensive line and it's him just knowing the scheme of things and getting rid of the ball," Williams said.

Last season, Williams wasn't comfortable enough to be moved around on the line and preferred to stay at right defensive end. As he's gained confidence this season, coaches have been able to shuffle him around and create more problems for opponents.

"Last year, there was so much stuff thrown at me and now I'm just a lot more comfortable," Williams said. "So it's just something that I've gotten accustomed to doing and I like doing it. Everything's pretty good right now."

Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy said he thinks Williams will win over fans who wanted the team to draft Vince Young or Reggie Bush. Dungy even compared him to his star defensive end Dwight Freeney.

"He has played outstanding football the last seven, eight games that we just looked at here and I'm sure that's what everybody envisioned," Dungy said. "That type of play helps you win championships. No question about it. He's giving them the type of impact that Dwight gave us with our first pick when I was here."

Coach Gary Kubiak said Williams is enjoying himself, and that he's so excited in practice he often asks to take scout team snaps.

"He loves to do it," Kubiak said. "It makes our offensive line guys mad, but that's a good thing. He's getting really comfortable with who he is as a pro and where he's headed with his career. It's not hard for him out here anymore. He loves practice. That's the key to being a great player."

Drafted to slow Peyton Manning, Texans' Mario Williams hasn't yet - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

In Bob Sanders? mind, there?s little question.

The Colts may not be the most-talked about team in the NFL. They may not be the most hyped. But to Sanders, the Colts? two-time Pro Bowl safety, what they are despite a difficult, trying, injury-plagued is something more important.

They are a team capable of playing its best football in January.

They are a consistent team.

And most of all, Sanders said, they are a good team. A very good team.

Even better, Sanders said, than they were this time last season, a season that ended with the team?s first Super Bowl title in 36 seasons.

?We?re doing a lot of good things,? Sanders said this week as the AFC South Champion Colts (12-2) prepared to play the fourth-place Houston Texans (7-7) in a division game at the RCA Dome on Sunday at 1 p.m.

?I think we still have room to improve, but I think we?re playing a little more consistent now, and it definitely feels good to be able to do that.?

The Colts, with a 21-14 victory over the Oakland Raiders last week, not only clinched the AFC South title for a fifth consecutive season, they clinched the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.

The Colts have made the playoffs the last six seasons, and since the 2002 arrival of Head Coach Tony Dungy they have the NFL?s best record, but only once during that span have they entered the postseason as a No. 1 or No. 2 seed. That was in 2005, when they entered as the AFC?s top seed before losing to Pittsburgh in an AFC Divisional Playoff game.

Last season, the Colts lost four of their last seven games, and needed a victory in the regular-season finale against Miami to secure the No. 3 seed.

This season, after a two-game losing streak in early November against division leaders New England (AFC East) and San Diego (AFC West), they have won five consecutive games, including a 28-25 victory over Jacksonville, a team widely considered one of the hottest teams in the AFC.

The success this season has come despite a slew of off-season personnel losses and a roster hit as hard by injuries as any Colts team during their postseason streak.

Cornerback Nick Harper. Cornerback Jason David. Linebacker Cato June.

All started for the Colts in Super Bowl XLI, and all left as free agents before the beginning of the season.

Offensive tackle Tarik Glenn. He started Super Bowl XLI, and retired in the off-season.

Defensive tackle Anthony ?Booger? McFarland. Linebacker Rob Morris. Defensive end Dwight Freeney.

All started for the Colts in Super Bowl XLI, and all have missed all or significant parts of the season with season-ending injuries.

Defensive tackle Raheem Brock. Safety Bob Sanders. Safety Antoine Bethea. Linebacker Freddy Keiaho. Defensive end Robert Mathis. Wide receiver Marvin Harrison. Running back Joseph Addai. Tight end Dallas Clark. Offensive tackle Tony Ugoh. Offensive tackle Ryan Diem. Linebacker Tyjuan Hagler.

All are starters. All have missed at least one game with injuries this season, with Harrison ? an eight-time Pro Bowl selection ? missing the last eight.

This past Sunday, as the Colts clinched their playoff positioning, only two defensive players who started the Super Bowl ? Sanders and middle linebacker Gary Brackett ? started against the Raiders.

Still, the Colts rank second in the NFL in total defense.

That?s remarkable success in the face of adversity, but what players said this week may be most remarkable is approach taken by their head coach during such times.

?The easy answer is it starts with (Colts Head) Coach (Tony) Dungy,? Colts tight end Dallas Clark said. ?He always has stressed, ?Next Guy In.? Don?t worry about the guys who aren?t playing. Let?s focus on the guys are playing and get everyone ready.? It kind of lends itself to, ?No excuses, no explanations.? That?s kind of mentality we?ve had. First string, second string, practice squad ? the coaches hold everyone to such a high standard of always getting better, always learning, always trying to learn something new. In this league, you?re always a play away from being a starter. I think it?s a question of the younger guys doing a good job of learning, and stepping in and making big plays.?

The Colts? young players and reserves have done just that much of the season. Consider:

? With Harrison out eight games, rookie wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez ? the team?s first-round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft ? has started the last four games at flanker, catching 20 passes for 345 yards and three touchdowns in his last four games.

? When Addai ? a second-year player ? missed a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 7, first-year running back Kenton Keith rushed for 121 yards and two touchdowns in his first NFL start.

? With Brock and Mathis out, and Freeney on injured reserve, this past week against Oakland, three rookies/first-year players ? tackles Ed Johnson and Keyunta Dawson and defensive end Jeff Charleston ? started alongside four-year veteran end Josh Thomas. The Colts held the Raiders to 253 total yards.

? When Glenn retired before the season, Ugoh ? a second-round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft ? moved into the starting lineup and the Colts won his first six starts.

? When Ugoh was out five games with a neck injury, second-year veteran Charlie Johnson started five games and the Colts went 3-2.

?The bar is set really, really high around here with the success the Colts have had in the past, and obviously last year,? Colts veteran linebacker Rocky Boiman said. ?I think guys here realize it. Sometimes, you think the Super Bowl is a very far off thing that could never happen. It actually happened, so you see that it can. The bar is set really high.

?We?ve seen we can do it and nobody wants to let the other guy down. If you?re watching game film and some guy does something, you?re judged at the same level no matter who?s in there. It?s not like, ?If so and so was on there, they would have done it.? It?s not like that at all. It?s expected from everybody. I expect it out of myself and I know everybody?s the same way.

?A lot of guys have stepped up. It shows the character of your team, when some guys are hurt and things aren?t going in your favor. We?ve battled through some things. Hopefully, we?re hitting the right stride and doing the right things this time of year, which is the time you need to come together.?

The Colts not only have won despite injuries, new players and young players, they have flourished. They have the second-best record in the AFC behind New England and are tied with Dallas and Green Bay for the second-best record in the NFL.

They are second in the NFL in point differential behind New England, which leads the league with a differential of plus-291. Indianapolis is next at plus-171 followed by Green Bay (plus-151) and Dallas (plus-144).

?It?s just guys willing to put the work in,? Colts safety Antoine Bethea said. ?It?s guys willing to come to work and practice hard. They go out on Sunday and get the job done. Whoever?s out there, it?s just relying on them to get the job done. It?s what we?ve been doing this year and we?ve been doing a great job of that.?

Said Sanders, ?No excuses ? Coach Dungy stresses that so much, that it?s the next man in. No excuses, no explanations. We have to go out and do our job. He expects everyone to play at a high level week in and week out, regardless of who?s playing. That?s what he says. Somebody may get hurt every week. The next man in has to be able to step in, pick up the slack and keep moving on.

?There is no, ?Well, he?s a young guy,? or, ?He hasn?t had much experience.? None of that matters. They expect us to play at a high level all the time. I think all of the guys and the guys who have been here really feed into that and grab on it.?

Brackett said he fully realized how much the Colts have overcome this season at a recent appearance. Another speaker at the event mentioned that the Colts had won their last five games, and had done so without Freeney and Harrison, a pair of players with 11 Pro Bowl appearances between them and a pair of players many considered among the team?s most important four or five players.

?Winning five games in a row without Dwight in there and Marvin Harrison ? a lot of other teams, they lose two franchise type players, they?re going to go down in the dumps,? Brackett said. ?We find a way to win every week. No matter what the situation is, we find a way to win.

?That?s a credit to the coaches, the players. No matter what the score or the situation, we always believe we?re going to find a way to win.?

The Official Website of the Indianapolis Colts

The General

Victories in Final Two Games Now the Focus, Dungy Says.

Tony Dungy sees importance in the number.

Not an importance above all else, and certainly an importance to keep in perspective, but the Colts? Head Coach said the idea of getting 14 victories this season is certainly appealing one.

It would tie the franchise record for victories in a season.

It would match the most victories he has had in a season as a head coach.

It would assure the Colts at least the second-most victories in the NFL this season.

And to do it, the Colts not only must win this week, they must also win next week ? which Dungy said, after all, is very much still the goal.

?We?ve been 12-4 a couple of times,? Dungy said this week as the AFC South Champion Colts (12-2) prepared to play the fourth-place Houston Texans (7-7) in a division game at the RCA Dome Sunday at 1 p.m.

?We?re shooting for 14. That would be an outstanding year. That?s what makes this a meaningful game. Our guys are focused on that.?

A 13- or 14-victory season not only would be an outstanding season for the Colts, it would rank among the better seasons in the NFL in recent seasons.

Since the league moved to a 16-game regular season in 1978, only twice have the Colts exceeded 12 victories. That was in 1999, when they went 13-3 en route to the AFC East title and in 2005, when they went 14-2 and won the AFC South.

Since 1978, 101 NFL teams have won 12 or more games in a season, but in that same span, only 44 teams have won 13 or more games and only 20 have won 14 or more games.

If the Colts win their final two regular-season games, they would join the 1986 Chicago Bears, the 1998 Atlanta Falcons and the 2004 New England Patriots as the only teams to win 14 regular-season games and not be the top seed in their conference.

Despite the team?s success, the Colts have been relatively overlooked nationally this season, something Dungy said isn?t necessarily a bad thing.

?That?s pretty good,? Dungy said. ?Maybe it?s where we are. Maybe it?s being in Indianapolis. We kind of like it that way. Last year at this time, we?d lost a few games, so people weren?t focused on us. We were just able to concentrate and do our job.

?I think it will help us. We like where we are. We like it being quiet like this.?

Also on Friday, the Colts released their third injury report of the week, with safety Antoine Bethea (knee), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (rib), offensive tackle Ryan Diem (knee), linebacker Ramon Guzman (foot), wide receiver Marvin Harrison (knee) and defensive end Robert Mathis (knee) listed as not participating in practice.

Brock, Diem and Harrison have been ruled out, according to the injury report, with Bethea, Guzman, Mathis, linebacker Clint Session (ankle) and tight end Ben Utecht (shoulder) listed as questionable and wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe (illness) listed as probable.

Also on Friday, Dungy said the injury to Steelers running back Willie Parker on Thursday won?t influence his decision-making in the final two games. Parker sustained a season-ending fibula injury in Pittsburgh?s victory over San Diego.

Having clinched the No. 2 seed, the Colts? final two regular-season games won?t affect their playoff positioning.

?You feel bad for the Steelers in that situation, losing a good player,? Dungy said. ?But it can happen. I think what you have to do is go out and play hard and not worry about the injuries too much.?

The General

Meaningless game? Colts say no.

Colts have kinks to work out.

No. 2 seed is clinched, but Indy seeking to improve today in a number of areas.

It would be a mistake to call the Indianapolis Colts' game with Houston this afternoon at the RCA Dome meaningless. The Colts might not need to win it, but they do need to play it.

"We need to get back on the field and get some things cleaned up and work toward becoming a better playoff team," Colts center Jeff Saturday said.

The running game, pass protection and a better pass rush from the injury-thinned defensive line are points of emphasis. To that end, the Colts (12-2) will go mostly with starters against a 7-7 team playing for the best record in its six-year history.

"I envision some of our younger guys and second-team guys in there with the first team," Dungy said. "I don't think it will be just wholesale substitution: 'OK, this unit's out.' We want to get some guys in there in the heat of battle with guys they might be in there playing with in the playoffs."

The Colts have clinched the AFC's No. 2 playoff seed. That guarantees a first-round bye and a divisional-round home game but little else.

No. 2 seeds are 26-8 (.765) in the divisional playoffs, 10-16 (.385) in conference championship games and 5-5 (.500) in the Super Bowl since the current playoff format was implemented in 1990. That's a 41-29 (.586) aggregate, and although they have produced only five Super Bowl champions in 17 seasons, they have taken the title three of the past six years: New England in 2001 and 2004 and Tampa Bay in 2002.

The Colts lost their opener as the No. 2 seed in 1999. They defeated second-seeded Kansas City in 2003 and Baltimore last year in the divisional round.

Colts have kinks to work out | IndyStar.com

The General

Indianapolis 38, Houston 15

The Indianapolis Colts are playoff ready.

Just ask the Houston Texans.

Peyton Manning looked sharp, Indy's running game was efficient, the defense forced three turnovers and there was no letdown Sunday in what's likely to be the Colts final postseason tuneup. Indy scored on six of its first eight possessions and had 38 consecutive points in a 38-15 rout.

"I think it says a lot about guys taking their jobs seriously and being professional by coming out and getting a win today," Manning said.

The result had little significance to the Colts (13-2), who had already clinched their fifth straight AFC South title, the No. 2 seed and a first-round bye. Instead, Indy was more concerned about working out kinks before it starts defense of its Super Bowl title.

Did they ever.

The Colts had a season-high 458 yards, tied the second-most first downs in a game in franchise history with 33 and three running backs helped produce Indy's first 100-yard rushing day since Thanksgiving night.

All that was accomplished without perennial Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison, who was out for the ninth straight game, and with most of the starters pulled after three quarters.

Manning was his typical self, finishing 28-of-35 for 311 yards with three TDs and a rating of 132.3. Joseph Addai, Kenton Keith and Clifton Dawson finally got the Colts' sagging ground game back in sync. Indy ran 31 times for 120 yards, its highest total since Oct. 28.

Reggie Wayne caught 10 passes for 143 yards, and Dallas Clark broke two franchise records. With six catches, two for TDs, Clark surpassed John Mackey's single-season marks for tight ends in both categories. Clark has 57 catches and 11 TDs. Mackey's bests were 55 receptions and nine TDs.

"I made the announcement to the team after the game, and I don't think many of them know who John Mackey was," Colts coach Tony Dungy said. "But I remember him, and to me, he's the gold standard, so that's something special."

It wasn't just the Colts offense dominating, either.

Bob Sanders, Matt Giordano and Melvin Bullitt all had interceptions. The Colts defense, playing for the second straight week without any of this season's projected starters on the defensive line, allowed Houston to drive as deep as the Colts 40 only once the first three quarters.

For Houston (7-8), trying to win a franchise record eighth game, it was downright ugly.

"We were dominated," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We had been playing some pretty good football, and we came in here expecting to continue to play well. We got outplayed, outcoached; we got our butts kicked big time."

Sage Rosenfels was 22-of-36 for 233 yards with two TDs and three interceptions, including one in the Colts' end zone. He closed out the scoring with a 6-yard TD pass to Andre Johnson with 1:07 left.

There were some flaws for the Colts, however.

They lost tight end Ben Utecht with a shoulder injury and receiver Anthony Gonzalez with a bruised foot in the first half. Defensive back Tim Jennings also left in the final minute of the game with an undisclosed injury. None of the three returned, and Dungy had no immediate updates.

Addai played sparingly after the first quarter when he reportedly sustained back and shoulder injuries. The report was later denied by Colts spokesman Craig Kelley who said Addai was out because of a coach's decision.

After the game, Dungy said Addai and Gonzalez could have returned.

"Those guys are not nicked up too bad," Dungy said.

Manning led the Colts on first-half drives of 54, 92, 92 and 26 yards setting up a short field goal, Addai's 2-yard TD run and Clark's TD receptions of 6 and 11 yards to make it 24-7 at the half.

Dawson scored on a 4-yard run to open the second half, and Manning threw a 27-yard TD pass to Wayne in the third quarter, prompting Dungy to pull most of his starters, a situation that likely would have been replayed next week against Tennessee -- except the Titans need a win to secure an AFC wild-card berth. That game has been switched from afternoon to prime time under the NFL's flex TV schedule.

This game, though, was just what the Colts needed.

"More than anything, I was just really impressed by the way our team came out and played and the level of precision we had," Dungy said. "We talked this week about what we wanted to accomplish. Winning the game was No. 1, but we also wanted to do some things a little better and I think we did."

Notes

Mario Williams sacked Manning in the second quarter, his sixth straight game with a sack. ... Houston defensive end Anthony Weaver injured his right shoulder in the first half but returned in the second half. Texans right tackle Eric Winston also got kicked in the back but was expected to be OK. ... Manning topped 30 TD passes for the fourth time in his career. ... The Colts have now won 10 straight home games against division foes.

NFL - Houston Texans/Indianapolis Colts Recap Sunday December 23, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports

The General

<TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=3 height=18>Regular Season</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 9/6</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New Orleans</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 41-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 22-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 30-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Denver</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/7</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tampa Bay</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 33-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> bye</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Mon 10/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 29-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/28</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Carolina</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/4</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New England</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 20-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/11</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at San Diego</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 21-23</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/18</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Kansas City</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 13-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 11/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Atlanta</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-13</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/2</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 28-25</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/9</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Baltimore</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 44-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Oakland</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 21-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-15</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> 8:15 pm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The General

Colts won't focus on what Tennessee, Cleveland need.

Tony Dungy expects the lobbying from Cleveland and Nashville to start in earnest later this week.

While the phone didn't ring much Monday morning, the Indianapolis Colts coach anticipates a barrage of calls the next few days from the 216, 440 and 615 area codes, which encompass the two cities vying for the AFC's final playoff spot.

"I'm looking for those area codes to show up on my phone," Dungy joked. "Not necessarily from the coaches, but from the fans in those cities."

Nobody would blame them for trying.

In an odd twist, the defending Super Bowl champions that have been overshadowed all season by New England now find themselves squarely in the spotlight going into their regular-season finale against Tennessee.

The scenario is about as simple as it gets with the playoffs.

A Titans win would give them their first postseason berth since 2003. A Tennessee loss sends the Browns to the playoffs for the first time since 2002. Cleveland doesn't even have to win to make it.

So all AFC eyes are focused on Indianapolis to see if Dungy plays his starters in the NFL's final regular season game, just as they were for the league's season-opener in September.

And the usually cautious Dungy won't tip his hand much.

He's scheduling backup quarterback Jim Sorgi to play at least one half, perhaps longer if perennial Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison returns to the lineup after missing nine games.

If Harrison doesn't play, Manning could leave even earlier, drawing cheers from Cleveland.

In the 2004 and '05 regular-season finales, when the Colts faced similar situations, Manning was a combined 2-of-4 for 11 yards and played just one series. It could happen again Sunday night, although Dungy sounds like he'll give Manning a few more snaps.

"That's the way the schedule works out and you feel bad about it sometimes," he said. "One of the only times I missed the playoffs, in '98, I remember finding out we were eliminated on the plane ride back home. That was my message then and now is that you don't put yourself in that position. You play for your team, you coach for your team and you can't worry about anyone else."

Even if it is personal.

Dungy has been around the league long enough, a quarter-century, to have friends in every NFL city and some of those friends are on the coaching staffs in Cleveland and Tennessee.

As much as Dungy may want to send a gift someone's way, he refuses to let friendships get in his way of doing what's best for the Colts.

Right tackle Ryan Diem will likely take his fourth straight week off after Dungy announced Monday that the lineman had recently undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. Tight end Ben Utecht, who reinjured his left shoulder Sunday against Houston, will likely sit out.

Decisions on receiver Anthony Gonzalez, who has been filling in for Harrison, and defensive tackle Raheem Brock will be made later this week. Gonzalez left Sunday's game with a concussion, while Brock missed the last two games with a rib injury.

There's a good chance, however, starting safety Antoine Bethea and defensive end Robert Mathis will return after sitting out Sunday with sprained knees.

"They'll play in the playoffs for sure," Dungy said. "Antoine and Robert have a good chance to play this week, so we'll see. Robert we'll probably be a little more cautious with."

The updates will undoubtedly produce opposite reactions in Cleveland and Tennessee.

But Dungy won't let that color his game plan for Saturday. He simply can't let it affect his decisions.

"We've got the same type of situation this week, where the game really doesn't mean much, and we got some rest for some of our regulars at the end of the game," he said. "That's probably what we'll do this week only a little earlier. We do plan to play everybody, we're just not sure how long yet."

Colts won't focus on what Tennessee, Cleveland need - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

The statistic comes as no surprise to Tony Dungy.
Because in this case, what the statistic does is confirm what the Colts’ head coach has believed throughout the season:

That the AFC South is the toughest division in the NFL.

How good has the South been this season?

Good enough that if the Houston Texans beat the Jacksonville Jaguars in Houston Sunday, it will be the third division since the 2002 NFL realignment – and the first in five seasons – to have all four teams finish .500 or better.

How good?

Good enough that if the Tennessee Titans beat the Colts on Sunday, they will become the second division since realignment to qualify the maximum possible teams – three – for the postseason. The NFC East qualified three teams for the playoffs last season.

The NFC East can again place three teams in the postseason this season if Washington wins Sunday.

“The fact we could have three teams out of four in the playoffs confirms what I thought all along – that it was going to be the toughest division in football,” Dungy said this week as the AFC South Champion Colts (13-2) prepared to play the Titans (9-6) at the RCA Dome Sunday at 8:15 p.m.

“There are awfully well-coached, awfully good teams in this division.”

How good has the South been this season?

By more than one measure, it has been the toughest division since realignment. If neither the Texans-Jaguars game or the Colts-Titans game ends in a tie, the four division teams will combine for 42 victories, the most by four teams from one division since realignment.

If the Titans beat the Colts, who have won the last five division titles, the South will become the first division since 2002 in which three of four teams finished with 10 or more victories.

How good?

The AFC South enters the weekend with a combined record of 40-20. They are 30-10 outside the division, with the Colts – who are 5-0 in the South – finishing 8-2 outside the division and the other three teams finishing as follows outside the division: Jaguars (9-1), Titans (6-4) and Titans (7-3).

“As much as you’d like to have a couple of gimmes in your division, we didn’t have that luxury this year,” Colts tight end Dallas Clark said. “It’s great. It keeps you on your toes. It keeps you focused. It keeps the season interesting. There’s no off week. You have to go at it 15-to-16 weeks.

“I think it makes us a better team. When you play in those types of games in those types of situations, you can learn a lot about your team and a lot about yourself and overcome a lot of things and find ways to win.”

Also on Thursday, Dungy said he would like to see Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne reach 100 receptions for the season.

Wayne, who last week was named to his second consecutive Pro Bowl, has a career-high 92 receptions for 1,423 yards and 10 touchdowns through 15 games.

“I don’t know if it’s going to happen or not, but I think when you get that close to a milestone, it would be nice to do,” Dungy said. “You just never know how that’s going to turn out. It would be a well-deserved thing, and we’ll see what happens.”

Wayne has increased his receptions total in each of his seven NFL seasons, and last week, he surpassed the previous career-high he set last season: 86.

“That’s one of the reasons I’d like to see him get 100,” Dungy said with a smile, “because he’d probably get 105 next year.”

Also on Thursday, Colts wide receiver Marvin Harrison participated in practice after missing the last nine games with a knee injury. Dungy said early in the week he may know more about the likelihood of Harrison playing against Tennessee on Friday.

Safety Antoine Bethea returned to practice after missing two games with a knee injury and fullback Luke Lawton and defensive end Josh Thomas returned after missing practice Wednesday with an illness.

The Colts on Thursday released their second injury report of the week, with linebacker Gary Brackett (team decision), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (rib), offensive tackle Ryan Diem (knee), wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (foot), cornerback Kelvin Hayden (illness), cornerback Tim Jennings (concussion), defensive end Robert Mathis (knee), defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock (groin), defensive back Keiwan Ratliff (hamstring), safety Bob Sanders (team decision) and tight end Ben Utecht (shoulder) listed as not participating in practice.

The General

So, who is on the Colt wagon here? Do you want to see a repeat? I never did so I doubt non Colt fans want it either.

The General

Eight-time Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison returned to practice with the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday after missing 10 games.

Harrison took part in a full practice Thursday and may be available for limited work against Tennessee on Sunday night.

Harrison has not played since Oct. 22 because of a left knee injury. The lingering injury that he suffered against Denver on Sept. 30 has forced Harrison to miss 10 games this season, the last nine in a row. It has been unclear whether Harrison would play again this season.

"We would like for Marvin to be able to go and get some playing time in. That's our hope. We'll see if it materializes," coach Tony Dungy said earlier this week.

Whether Harrison plays Sunday may dictate how many snaps Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning gets. On Monday, Dungy said if Harrison played this week he might keep Manning in the game longer to work on their timing.

Offensive tackle Ryan Diem (knee) sat out Thursday's workout and is not expected to play this week. Also sitting out were middle linebacker Gary Brackett (team decision), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (rib), wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (foot), cornerback Kelvin Hayden (illness), cornerback Tim Jennings (concussion), defensive end Robert Mathis (knees), defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock (groin), cornerback Keiwan Ratliff (hamstring), safety Bob Sanders (team decision), and tight end Ben Utecht (shoulder).

Brackett, Sanders and Hayden are all expected to start against Tennessee.

Safety Antoine Bethea (knee), running back Luke Lawton (illness) and defensive end Josh Thomas (illness) all returned to practice and also could play against the Titans.

Receiver Marvin Harrison returns to practice with Colts after missing 10 games - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders has signed a five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Colts that includes $20 million in guaranteed money, according to NFL sources. The contract makes Sanders the highest-paid safety in the NFL. Sanders, whose playoff performance sparked the Colts on their run to a Super Bowl victory last season, would have been an unrestricted free agent after this season.

by Chris Mortensen

abc7chicago.com: Sources: Colts make Sanders highest-paid safety 12/28/07

husker

EOG Addicted

great news! the colts will easily be under the cap next year.

The General

Game Day: Titans at Colts.

KICKOFF: Sunday, 8:15 ET

TV: NBC, Al Michaels, John Madden

SERIES: 27th meeting. Colts lead the series, 15-11. The Colts won the most recent meeting, 22-20 in Nashville on Sept. 16. Indianapolis has won eight of the last nine and hasn't lost to Tennessee at the RCA Dome since 2002.

KEYS TO THE GAME: Win and they're in the playoffs, lose and they're out. With that prospect facing the Titans, they need RB LenDale White to be effective against a defense that will throw SS Bob Sanders at run support (as long as he's in the game) with little fear of Tennessee's passing game. The Titans want to play keep away, and most important, keep it close until the Colts have made wholesale changes to their backups on both sides. ... The Titans have been as effective as any opponent in slowing the Colts' offense ? an average of 17.7 points the past three meetings ? by keeping the passing game in front of them. Whether it's Peyton Manning or Jim Sorgi under center, the Titans want to generate pressure and force the ball to be thrown quickly. Expect Indy to stick largely to the ground to shorten the game as much as possible.

KEY INJURIES: Titans: White (knee) has missed some practice time but will play; C Kevin Mawae (calf) and CB Nick Harper (groin) are uncertain; DT Albert Haynesworth (hamstring) will play. Colts: WR Marvin Harrison (knee) and RT Ryan Diem (knee) have a chance to get a few snaps; DT Raheem Brock (rib) and S Antoine Bethea (knee) are among those who could be rested.

FAST FACTS: Titans coach Jeff Fisher passed George Allen for 27th in NFL history with 119 career wins. ... Colts WR Reggie Wayne has set career highs with 92 receptions for 1,423 yards.

Scout.com: Game Day: Titans at Colts

The General

Tennessee 16, Indianapolis 10

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Kerry Collins waited all season to prove his value in Tennessee. The Titans wouldn't have been celebrating Sunday night without him.

Collins rescued his teammates in the most precarious circumstances, leading them to three straight second-half field goals in relief of injured Vince Young and helping Tennessee rally for a 16-10 win at Indianapolis that drew cheers from Nashville and moans from Cleveland.

"Now that I'm older and have been around for a while, I appreciate these things more," said Collins, who turned 35 Sunday. "I told the younger guys to savor it. In my second year, we went to the NFC championship game, I thought we would be going every year, but that didn't happen."

The final piece of the AFC playoff picture came down to the final game on the final weekend of the regular season. Tennessee had to win to make the postseason for the first time since 2003, while an Indy win would have sent the Browns to the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

Inside the RCA Dome, you could almost hear the groans coming from the shores of Lake Erie when Peyton Manning traded his helmet for a headset early in the second quarter. To the Browns' chagrin, that was how the Colts chose to play.

While Tennessee welcomed the transition from Manning to Jim Sorgi, the Titans were forced into making one of their own when Young flopped down midway through the third quarter with an apparent right quadriceps injury. Young said he hurt it in the first half, then was reinjured in the third quarter.

Enter Collins, who had thrown 69 passes all season and had barely moved off the sideline since Oct. 21.

The veteran backup was efficient, not flashy.

He finished the drive Young started by setting up Rob Bironas for a 40-yard field goal to tie the score, then led the Titans (10-6) on a 58-yard scoring march that gave Bironas a 54-yard attempt. Bironas, who had beaten Indy last December in Nashville with a 60-yarder, curled the kick perfectly inside the right goal post to give Tennessee a 13-10 lead and then sealed it with a 33-yard field goal with 2:56 to go.

Coach Jeff Fisher said he would wait until midweek to decide which quarterback plays next Sunday at San Diego. But Collins provided enough against the Colts' backups to end the Titans' playoff drought.

While Colts coach Tony Dungy treated the game as a playoff tuneup, he expected more.

"It was disappointing in a lot of ways," Dungy said. "We really wanted to get that 14th win. We got a lot of things done, we just didn't quite get the score the way we wanted it."

The game plan was simply to let the offense get a little work, the defense to show it could hold up against a mobile quarterback like Young, and a few players to hit personal milestones.

It didn't take long to accomplish all three.

Manning entered the game needing 55 yards to extend his NFL record for most 4,000-yard seasons to eight. He did that in one series.

Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne needed eight catches to become the second player in franchise history with 100 receptions in a season. It took two series to reach that mark. And Wayne left on the third series after netting the 71 yards receiving he needed to pass Randy Moss for the league title.

Manning was 14-of-16 for 95 yards. Wayne caught 12 passes for 87 yards, giving him 104 receptions and a league-high 1,510 yards this season. Dungy hugged Wayne when he finally left the field.

"Reggie's just going to be featured in this offense," Manning said. "It wasn't necessarily anything intentional. With (Anthony) Gonzalez out and Marvin (Harrison) still not playing, Devin (Aromashodu) making his first start, obviously you're going to look to Reggie Wayne. It's just kind of the way it worked out."

Without their usual offensive stars, the Colts weren't themselves.

Adam Vinatieri made a 37-yard field goal early in the second quarter, and Jim Sorgi threw a 3-yard TD pass to Craphonso Thorpe after the Colts recovered a fumble at the Tennessee 30.

That was it for Indy, which put five starters including Harrison on the inactive list before the game.

Tennessee wasn't much better until Collins entered.

After Chris Brown's 8-yard TD run on the opening drive, Tennessee's offense bogged down and didn't get it going until Collins came in. He finished the first drive and led the Titans to field goals on the next two to series to turn the game -- and put Tennessee in the playoffs.

"That's why Kerry is where Kerry is," Fisher said. "He's one play away from playing. He's played an awful lot of ball, being a backup in this league is harder than starting."

Notes: Indy ended a 10-game home winning streak against AFC South opponents. ... Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth left briefly in the first half after reinjuring his right hamstring, and linebacker Keith Bulluck left late in the game with an undisclosed injury. ... Justin Gage had seven catches for 104 yards to lead the Titans. ... Indy lost its final regular-season game in the RCA Dome. Next year it will move to Lucas Oil Stadium.

NFL - Tennessee Titans/Indianapolis Colts Recap Sunday December 30, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports

The General

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspscbrdbg height=18>Scores and Schedule</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=3 height=18> Regular Season</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 9/6</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New Orleans</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 41-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 22-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 30-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Denver</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/7</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tampa Bay</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 33-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> bye</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Mon 10/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 29-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/28</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Carolina</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/4</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New England</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 20-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/11</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at San Diego</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 21-23</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/18</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Kansas City</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 13-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 11/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Atlanta</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-13</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/2</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 28-25</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/9</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Baltimore</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 44-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Oakland</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 21-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-15</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 10-16</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The General

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspscbrdbg height=18>AFC South Standings</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD width="46%" height=18><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD><TD class=yspdetailttl width="20%">W-L-T</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl width="14%">PF</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl width="20%">PA</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores> y-Indianapolis</TD><TD class=yspscores>13-3-0</TD><TD class=yspscores>450</TD><TD class=yspscores>262</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores> x-Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores>11-5-0</TD><TD class=yspscores>411</TD><TD class=yspscores>304</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores> x-Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores>10-6-0</TD><TD class=yspscores>301</TD><TD class=yspscores>297</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores> Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores>8-8-0</TD><TD class=yspscores>379</TD><TD class=yspscores>384</TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspscores colSpan=4 height=18> Complete Standings</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=yspscbrdbg><TD class=ysptblhdr height=18> Team Stats (Game averages)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl width="29%" height=18> </TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="13%">Pts</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="19%">Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="19%">Pass</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="19%">Rush</TD><TD width="1%"> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores> Offense</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>28.1</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>358.7</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>252.1</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>106.6</TD><TD width="1%"> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores> Defense</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16.4</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>279.7</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>172.8</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>106.9</TD><TD width="1%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=yspscbrdbg><TD class=ysptblhdr height=18> Individual Leaders</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl width="38%" height=18> Passing</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="13%">Comp</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="15%">Att</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="18%">Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right width="15%">TD</TD><TD width="1%"> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores height=15> P. Manning</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>337</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>515</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>4040</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>31</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=5 height=3><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl height=18> Rushing</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Rush</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Y/G</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>TD</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores> J. Addai</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>261</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1072</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>71.5</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>12</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores> K. Keith</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>121</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>533</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>33.3</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>3</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=5 height=3><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl height=15> Receiving</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Rec</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Yds</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>Y/G</TD><TD class=yspdetailttl align=right>TD</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores> R. Wayne</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>104</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1510</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>94.4</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>10</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores> D. Clark</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>58</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>616</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>41.1</TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>11</TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=5 height=3><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspscores colSpan=5 height=15> Complete Team Statistics</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The General

Regular Season Defense:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=middle><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left height=18>Team</TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>G </TD><TD></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg7 align=right>Pts/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Yds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>RushYds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>PassYds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Int </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>IntTD </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>FFum </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>DefTD </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Tack </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>PD </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Sack </TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Indianapolis Colts</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>16.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>279.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>106.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>172.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>22 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>749 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>64 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>28.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Pittsburgh Steelers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>16.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>266.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>89.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>176.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>11 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>21 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>607 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>76 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>36.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Tampa Bay Buccaneers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>16.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>278.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>107.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>170.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>24 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>711 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>68 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>33.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>New England Patriots</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>17.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>288.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>98.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>190.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>649 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>75 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>47.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>17.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>320.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>107.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>213.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>30 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>735 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>94 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>42.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>18.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>313.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>102.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>210.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>10 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>671 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>73 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>36.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Seattle Seahawks</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>18.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>321.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>102.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>219.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>20 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>21 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>703 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>77 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>45.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Tennessee Titans</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>18.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>291.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>92.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>199.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>22 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>15 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>686 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>89 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>40.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Philadelphia Eagles</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>18.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>311.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>95.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>215.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>11 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>10 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>654 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>63 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>37.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Jacksonville Jaguars</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>19.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>313.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>100.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>213.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>20 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>13 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>671 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>66 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>37.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Washington Redskins</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>19.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>305.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>91.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>214.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>14 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>17 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>698 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>84 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>33.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Regular Season Offense:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1 align=middle><TD class=yspdetailttl align=left height=18>Team</TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>G </TD><TD></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg7 align=right>Pts/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Yds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>PassYds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>RushYds/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>1stD/G </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>3rdM </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>3rdD% </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>4thM </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>4thD% </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Pen </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>PYds </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>TOP </TD><TD></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>New England Patriots</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>36.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>411.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>295.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>115.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>24.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>92 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>48.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>15 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>71.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>78 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>690 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>32:35 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Dallas Cowboys</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>28.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>365.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>256.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>109.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>20.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>84 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>42.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>10 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>71.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>104 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>815 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>30:33 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Indianapolis Colts</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>28.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>358.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>252.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>106.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>22.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>100 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>49.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>60.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>67 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>515 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>29:49 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Green Bay Packers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>27.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>370.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>270.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>99.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>86 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>42.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>45.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>113 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1006 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>30:19 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>San Diego Chargers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>25.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>315.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>187.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>127.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>17.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>84 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>39.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>60.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>94 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>761 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>30:03 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Jacksonville Jaguars</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>25.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>357.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>208.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>149.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>20.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>100 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>45.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>57.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>76 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>594 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>32:07 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>25.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>344.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>254.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>90.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>75 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>36.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>12 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>85.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>137 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>1128 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>30:39 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Cleveland Browns</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>25.1 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>351.3 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>232.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>118.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>19.7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>86 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>42.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>40.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>114 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>868 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>29:30 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Pittsburgh Steelers</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>24.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>327.4 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>191.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>135.5 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>18.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>103 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>46.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>7 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>53.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>80 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>651 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>33:28 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 align=middle><TD class=yspscores align=left>Seattle Seahawks</TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>16 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=ysptblclbg6 align=right>24.6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>348.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>247.8 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>101.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>20.2 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>75 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>35.0 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>6 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>42.9 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>59 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>428 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD><TD class=yspscores align=right>29:59 </TD><TD class=yspscores></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The General

Colts begin title defense with better defense than '06.

Indianapolis heard the complaints for years: The defenders were too small, too soft, too devoid of high-priced talent to become an elite unit.

Now the Colts have the evidence to prove everyone wrong.

Indy heads into the playoffs next week with a defense that ranks third in the NFL overall, second against the pass and, most surprisingly, holding the title of league's best in points allowed.

"I was a little surprised by it myself when I got the stats and saw we led the league in points allowed," coach Tony Dungy said Monday. "I think that's one thing that's hard for people to envision, us as a defensive football team. People have always thought of us an offensive team."

Indianapolis (13-3), of course, is best known for scoring points by the dozens, something that hasn't changed this season. Only the record-setting Patriots and Dallas Cowboys, the NFC's top seed, scored more points in 2007.

Yet no team allowed fewer points than the Colts' 262.

While the Colts may never be mentioned in the same breath as Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay, teams with long-established reputations as aggressive, ball-hawking defenses, this has clearly been Indy's best defense under Dungy.

Only one team, San Diego (48), has forced more turnovers this season. Indy has 37 and its 22 interceptions is the franchise's highest total since 23 in 1979.

Indy has improved dramatically against the run, too, trimming last year's horrendous average of 5.3 yards per carry to a respectable 3.8.

It has one of the league's frontrunners for defensive player of the year in Bob Sanders, and has achieved those numbers despite playing with a lineup decimated by injuries and defections.

Most figured the Colts would regress after losing three Super Bowl starters -- linebacker Cato June and cornerbacks Nick Harper and Jason David -- in free agency. Then came season-ending injuries to defensive tackle Anthony McFarland in August and linebacker Rob Morris in September.

So when three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney, the 2004 sacks champion, went down with a season-ending foot injury in mid-November, the Colts' defensive resurgence was supposed to be doomed.

That didn't happen. They still haven't allowed more than 25 points in any game this season and have held nine opponents to 16 points or fewer.

"It probably didn't hurt us as much as people thought," Dungy said. "But these guys really don't worry about that. The guys who have gone in there have done well, and hustle and energy can make up for a lot of things."

Everywhere the Colts looked, they found replacements.

They filled McFarland's void with undrafted free agent Ed Johnson. They filled Morris' spot with the previously untested Tyjuan Hagler. They replaced Freeney with unheralded Josh Thomas, and despite losing 55 games to injuries from their projected lineup in August, the Colts have continued to pressure quarterbacks, create chaos and keep opponents out of the end zone.

Sixteen players have recorded at lest half a sack, 10 have an interception and five -- linebackers Gary Brackett and Freddy Keiaho, cornerbacks Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson and Sanders -- all have topped 100 tackles.

Most impressive is that Indy played its last three games with a completely refurbished defensive line, one that was missing all of its original projected starters.

"Our offensive staff has gotten a lot of kudos, but I think you have to give our defensive staff some credit, too," Dungy said. "Especially when you look at what we did with a lot of injuries and not a lot of household names, other than Bob Sanders."

The good news for Indy is bad news for the rest of the league: This defense could get even better in the playoffs.

Speedy defensive end Robert Mathis (two sprained knees), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (ribs) and safety Antoine Bethea (knee) are all expected to play Jan. 13 when the Colts face San Diego, Pittsburgh or Jacksonville.

And once again, Dungy knows Indy's fate may rest in the hands of the defense.

"I think this is the best we've played since I've been here," he said. "I thought the '05 team was the best. But we've been a lot sharper and we've played physical, and our guys play hard and that's a big part of the game."

Colts begin title defense with better defense than '06 - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

A Weekly Conversation with Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy.

Question: A 16-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans on Sunday. You were disappointed with the loss, but there were some good things to come out of it, were there not?

Answer: We didn't get that win and we had an opportunity to do that. But there were a lot of positive things, a lot of good things, that came out of it. We got accomplished what we wanted to short of getting the win. So, all in all, we were pleased with the game and really pleased with the season.

Q: Speaking to the media on Monday, you took a moment to sort of put the regular season in perspective. Is this the time you do that with the team, sort of analyze the season and put things in perspective before moving on to the postseason?

A: We usually do. We always talk about the four phases - training camp, then the preseason games, the regular-season games and the playoffs. You do evaluate each one. I thought the first three parts were good. I liked our focus in training camp, the way we came to work. We got a lot of good things done in the preseason games. We found some good players. You just felt like we were going to have a good year. We put together a seven-game winning streak and a six-game winning streak during the season. The three games we lost, we had shots to win all three. It was much like the year before when we had one game ? the Jacksonville game ? that we were really out of, but the other games we had a chance to win. I liked the way we improved. I thought we progressed as the year went on. It will be a chance to sit down with the team on Wednesday to say, 'Here?s what we did well. Here?s where we?re sitting. Now, when we come back to work in earnest the following Monday there will be eight teams left.?

Q: That?s a positive about the bye, isn?t it? You have a chance to take a breath and reset things . . .

A: You get a chance to do that with the bye, where otherwise ? especially if you?re playing on Saturday ? you?re just plugging everything in today and when the team comes in tomorrow, you go to work.

Q: And there?s no question in your mind you like the bye. You never hear a coach say, ?I don?t want the bye.?

A: You?d love to keep playing if you?re guaranteed to win and not get anybody hurt. But those are the two dangers of playing the game ? that you might lose, No. 1. And No. 2, if you win, you may get people hurt. When we played in the first round a couple of years ago (2004), we had a great game against Denver and (defensive end) Robert Mathis gets hurt in the fourth quarter when the game is 41-14 or something like that. We didn?t have Robert going up to New England, then you have other guys who are less than 100 percent. Winning and keeping that momentum is great and that?s what you would like to do, but there is danger every time you play a game. It happens, and you certainly have much more of a risk of losing players every time you play a game. That?s what makes the NFL great: there are no guarantees you?re going to win that game. You have to beat everybody to get to your ultimate goal of the Super Bowl, but certainly if you only have to beat two of them, it?s easier than beating three.

Q: Does it matter to you who you play in the divisional round? Do you watch this weekend thinking matchups, or does that matter?

A: You really have to look at it thinking, ?Whatever happens, happens.? You have to take the mindset in the playoffs that you may have to beat any one of the 11 teams that are still in it ? whether you have to beat this one this week or this one next week. I don?t think you can go into it feeling that way. Ours is, ?Let?s find out who it is. Let?s try to dissect their weaknesses and go to work.?

Q: What about this regular season has surprised you?

A: I think I?ve been pleasantly surprised by the number of guys who have contributed that we probably wouldn?t have thought in June would be major contributors. I?m watching the San Diego game (a 23-21 Colts loss in November) now and (rookie cornerback) Dante Hughes is in there. He hasn?t been here for a while now (having been placed on injured reserve). (Second-year cornerback) T.J. Rushing played. That?s the way it has been. (Linebacker) Rob Morris (and defensive tackle) Anthony ?Booger? McFarland (have missed time). Dante Hughes was our nickel back. He goes out and other guys come in and play those roles. Different guys come on. (Rookie defensive tackles) Quinn Pitcock and Keyunta Dawson are playing more in the rotation. That has been good to see, that those guys have developed and gotten better and we?ve gotten to the point where you?re winning.

Q: Have you ever been around a team with this much ability to do that? It?s really become the theme of the season for this bunch . . .

A: They haven?t really worried about who isn?t in there. That?s a good trait to have.

Q: It?s one thing for a coach to talk about that. It?s another for a team to embrace it the way this one has . . .

A: It is. We?ve had experience with that. You show them situations. We?re in Buffalo (in 2003) and (then-rookie wide receiver) Aaron Moorehead is playing. You have different guys playing. You show them you can have success and you do have success and those guys come through. It just makes it that much easier when you?ve done it before. Doing it again is not as

much of a problem. You practice that way and preach that way. This team has. They?ve taken that mindset.

Q: Earlier, when you discussed the season, you included the Tennessee game with the two other losses even though the loss Sunday to the Titans had no playoff ramifications. You see them all the same way, don?t you?

A: That?s one of the things I think our team has done a good job of the last six years, is focusing in on every game and putting what we have to do separately. Whether it?s a preseason game or a postseason game, we have things we want to accomplish and ways you can win. Whether it?s Tennessee, which didn?t have playoff implications; whether it?s San Diego, where you don?t have a bunch of your starters; or, whether it?s New England, which everybody said was the game of the year ? you treat them all the same way. You have things you want to accomplish. If you approach it that way, I think it just makes for more consistency. That?s what I think our team does well.

Q: How big is the difference in the importance you place on practice and the amount that most people outside of football place on it? You?re a big believer that practice is a huge, huge factor . . .

A: As people talk about rest and what you do with players (entering the postseason), I think you could rest them all in the (late-season) game if you could practice well. It?s just hard to do that. That?s where it becomes, ?Keeping momentum.? It?s not necessarily winning those games. That?s a big part of it, going out and playing well. But keeping yourself sharp is as important. When you practice well, you probably are going to play well. If you practice poorly or aren?t able to practice over a long stretch, your play gets worse. I think that?s one of the advantages we had in Tampa. We had great practices at the end of the year because of weather. Because of our indoor facility here, and the way we do things and the way our guys practice, you can continue to improve later on in the year. The only way to improve is to practice well.

Q: Most people wouldn?t realize teams get better during the season. But you firmly see it . . .

A: You really do. One of the places where injuries hit you ? especially in the situation we?ve had; where we have guys injured, but not injured enough to go on IR ? is you don?t have enough guys to practice well. We had a stretch in there for a few weeks where we were practicing with 37, 38 guys. You have to cut back. Guys are playing without practicing. You can?t get as much done and it shows up in your play. It?s the little fine points, the little details.

Q: When you talk about health entering the postseason, is this week as important to get little injuries better as much as major ones?

A: I think it will be. We had eight or nine guys who couldn?t play in the game (Sunday). If we had to practice (Tuesday) to get ready for a Saturday game, we would limit a lot of those guys and say, ?Hey, if we scale back, they?ll be able to play.? So, you go in and have scaled-down practice, play the game and hopefully, you win. If you do, you?re in the same boat the next week. Now, we can say, ?You know what? We can sit these guys out, anybody who?s not 100 percent. We won?t practice them at all.? We sit those guys out. Hopefully, they come back a week from Wednesday and they can really practice. They get three great practices in and you?re much better than having scaled-down practices or saying, ?We?ve got to have walkthroughs,? or having to have no pads because we have 15 guys who we really can?t afford to get in contact. So, it does help, I think.

Q: How do you feel, overall, heading into the playoffs?

A: I like where we?re sitting. I think we?re playing better football than we were playing in mid-November and December last year. That?s always a good feeling. But it?s a tough six teams (in the AFC). We have two teams (Jacksonville and Tennessee) we know real well who are good teams from our division. We have San Diego, which has beaten us and New England, which has beaten us. There?s Pittsburgh, which we don?t know that well. You have good football teams. In the AFC, it has been that way the last few years. We were the No. 1 seed a couple of years ago and didn?t make it. The No. 1 and No. 2 seed lost last year. We were a good football team in ?05 and San Diego and Baltimore were good teams last year. It?s just deep, deep fields and good teams from one through six.

Q: How much of a factor is experience for you going in? There are guys on this roster who have played nearly an entire regular season?s worth of games in the postseason in their careers. How much does that help sort of block out the noise, the predications and the analysis?

A: That part really does help. You have enough guys who have been in that they understand that it?s how you play. We?ve been in as the team no one thought could go to Kansas City and win. We?ve been a team that?s the favorite. We?ve been in all of those slots. We?ve been talked about. We?ve been under the radar. We?ve been the favorite. We?ve been heavy underdogs. So, we?ve done enough of those where we know it doesn?t matter. It?s how you play. We?ve come back from 18 down in playoff games and we?ve lost 41-0 in playoff games. That, I think, is a big factor ? having guys being able to explain that to the young guys. But more than anything having your leaders just be the guys who have been there and know what to expect and know that it?s all about performance and not really about expectations.

--www.colts.com

The General

Colts Will Worry About Second-Round Opponent Next Week, Manning Says.

The time to worry about next week, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning figures, is just that. Next week.

That's when the Colts will know their AFC Divisional Playoff opponent.

For now, the Colts (13-3) ? the No. 2 seed in the AFC and the five-time defending AFC South Champions -- will spend the week doing things teams do during bye weeks.

They will rest. They will try to get healthy.

And they will prepare a bit. But only a bit.

Mostly, Manning said, the Colts will do what they do whenever they have a few days to practice without intense focus on an upcoming opponent.

They will try to improve.

?That?s where we are right now,? Manning said Wednesday shortly after the first of two bye-week practices for the Colts at their Indianapolis practice facility this week.

?We?re using this week to get better. We?ll find out who we?re playing Sunday night, and we?ll deal with that next week.?

The Colts, because of their status as the AFC?s No. 2 seed, will be off during the first round of the NFL playoffs this weekend, during which the Colts? opponent for their AFC Divisional Playoff game on January 13 at the RCA Dome at 1 p.m. will be determined.

The Colts? second-round scenario is as follows:

? If No. 3 seed San Diego (11-5) beats No. 6 seed Tennessee in San Diego, Cal., on Sunday at 4:30 p.m., the Colts will play San Diego in the divisional round.

? If Tennessee wins, the Colts will play host to the winner of the Saturday night game between No. 4 seed Pittsburgh (10-6) and No. 5 seed Jacksonville (11-5).

The Colts beat Jacksonville, the second-place team in the AFC South, twice during the regular season ? 29-7 in Jacksonville on October 22 and 28-25 in Indianapolis on December 2. Indianapolis lost at San Diego, 23-21, on November 11, a game the Colts trailed 23-0 before a second-half rally.

The Colts did not play Pittsburgh this season. The Steelers are the only AFC playoff team Indianapolis did not play this season.

The Colts will spend some time working on 3-4 defenses this week, Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy, because the Steelers and the Chargers each play that scheme. And because all three teams feature two-back offensive sets, Dungy said some work will be done in that area.

But beyond that, Dungy said little will be done in terms of focused game-planning.

?You really just try to stay sharp and work on fundamentals and not overburden the guys with specifics,? Dungy said, ?You really don?t know who you?re going to play. To put in a game plan and really talk specifics and work on this and then have to throw it out and start over on Monday . . . to me, it?s better

off not getting into that.

?You just really practice some things you know are going to help you over the course of the next four weeks, hopefully and try to stay sharp.?

Said Colts tight end Dallas Clark, ?It?s really a case where it?s really good for us ? just to get guys another week of health and just another week of rest. There?s a good chance it?s going to be a 3-4 defense, so it?s a good week to kind of look at that and what we?re going to do.

?It?s something we don?t see every day and no one in our division plays it, so we don?t see it in our division. You can still stay in a rhythm and not have a game.?

The Colts? status as the No. 2 seed gives them the advantage of a bye ? a week to rest injured players ? but Manning said recent history shows a high seed and a week off guarantees nothing. Only one team ? the 2003 New England Patriots ? has won a Super Bowl as the No. 1 seed since 1999. Since that season, Super Bowls have been won by the No. 2 seed three times (New England, 2001; Tampa Bay, 2002; New England, 2004), the No. 4 seed (Baltimore, 2000), the No. 1 seed (New England, 2003), the No. 6 seed (Pittsburgh, 2005) and the No. 3 seed (Indianapolis, 2006).

?It?s a good position to be in, but as has been proven the last couple of years, the seedings kind of go out the window once you get in the playoffs,? Manning said. ?It?s whoever?s playing the best at the right time. We are glad to be playing at home at least one more time.?

Manning said the focus for the Colts this week is on practice, and fundamentals. Basically, he said, this week is about focusing on the day to day, something he said is a strength of the team and one that enabled it to win 13 games a season after winning its first Super Bowl in 36 years.

?This year has been uncharted territory for most of us,? Manning said. ?We?ve broken through some of the stereotypes of what was thought that you can and cannot do after winning it. One thing we have done every year is we?ve put the season behind us. This team does a good job living in the present, year to year, week to week.

?No one really talks about what happened last year or the year before. No one?s talking about next year.?

Gary Brackett, the Colts? middle linebacker and defensive captain said he sees little difference in the team?s approach this season with a bye week compared to last season, when the Colts beat the Kansas City Chiefs, 23-8, in a wild-card round game six days after the regular-season finale.

?I think it?s going to be the same type of atmosphere,? Brackett said. ?Obviously, guys are very excited. It?s a playoff atmosphere ? win or go home. From that regard, I think everyone?s going to be out there ready and willing to take care of business.?

The General

<TABLE class=yspnavbg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=6 height=6><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD><TD rowSpan=2> </TD><TD noWrap width=5 rowSpan=2><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD><TD width="100%">Indianapolis Colts
13-3-0, 1st AFC South</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right><FORM name=select_team><SCRIPT language=javascript>function go() { selected_index = document.select_team.team.selectedIndex; window.location.href = document.select_team.team.options[selected_index].value;}</SCRIPT> </FORM></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=2 height=33></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Injuries
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=yspscbrdbg><TD class=ysptblhdr width="36%" height=18> Player</TD><TD class=ysptblhdr width="22%">Status</TD><TD class=ysptblhdr width="47%">Injury</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> R. Brock DT</TD><TD>Out</TD><TD>Rib</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> R. Diem T</TD><TD>Out</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> A. Bethea S</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> A. Gonzalez WR</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Foot</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> M. Harrison WR</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> T. Jennings CB</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Concussion</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> R. Mathis DE</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> Q. Pitcock DT</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Groin</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> K. Ratliff CB</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Hamstring</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> B. Utecht TE</TD><TD>Questionable</TD><TD>Shoulder</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> K. Hayden CB</TD><TD>Probable</TD><TD>Illness</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> L. Lawton RB</TD><TD>Probable</TD><TD>Illness</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> J. Thomas DE</TD><TD>Probable</TD><TD>Illness</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Injured Reserve</TD></TR><TR class=yspscbrdbg><TD class=ysptblhdr width="36%" height=18> Player</TD><TD class=ysptblhdr width="22%">Status</TD><TD class=ysptblhdr width="47%">Injury</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> M. Seidman TE</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> A. McFarland DT</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Torn patella</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> K. O'Neil LB</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Hernia</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> R. Morris LB</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Knee</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> R. Hall WR</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Shoulder</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> D. Freeney DE</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Left foot</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> V. Worsley LB</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Foot</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> A. Moorehead WR</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Back</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD> D. Hughes CB</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Shoulder</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1 vAlign=top><TD> D. Federkeil T</TD><TD>IR</TD><TD>Concussion</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Indianapolis Colts - Injuries - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Darrell Reid?s Hits Bring to Focus Contributions on Special Teams.

In this case, a hit was more than a hit.

As it turned out, this was hit to be replayed, relived, reviewed, discussed and joked about around the Colts ? even by Head Coach Tony Dungy ? throughout the last several days.

At the very least, it made Darrell Reid?s week.

?There?s been some attention,? Reid said with a wide smile this week as the AFC South Champion Colts (13-3) held a pair of bye-week practices as they began preparing for their AFC Divisional Playoff game Sunday, January 13, at 1 p.m. at the RCA Dome.

And then some.

The hit came last Sunday night, a play on which Reid ? a third-year defensive tackle ? showed again why he has emerged this season as one of the NFL?s top special teams players. Reid barreled down the RCA Dome turf, brushed past a pair of would-be blockers and met Chris Henry, a running back for the Tennessee Titans. Reid hit Henry. Hard. Real hard.

Bone-crushingly, frighteningly hard.

?One of the best I?ve seen,? Dungy called the hit.

Dungy and Colts President Bill Polian each expressed surprise later that Henry maintained possession.

?Once he got through the block, it was dead on target there,? Polian said.

The play turned Reid into something of a mini-celebrity this past week around the Colts? practice facility. Media crowded around his locker on Sunday night and again on Wednesday.

So heightened was Reid?s profile that Dungy made mention of it when players returned to the first of the week?s two practices.

?I was teasing him today,? Dungy said Wednesday. ?I said I was surprised he was back. I was thinking maybe he?d retired and become a TV celebrity.?

Reid said he hardly minded the attention ? or the teasing.

?I?ll take it,? Reid said, smiling. ?If it keeps me in the league, keeps me on the Colts, I?ll take it, definitely.?

Dungy added seriously, ?It was a special play and you like to see those guys get a little bit of time like that.?

In Reid?s case, it was limelight on a player who in three seasons has developed into one of the Colts? most reliable reserves, as well as one of their top special teams players.

Reid signed with the Colts as a free agent from the University of Minnesota shortly after the April 2005 NFL Draft. He made the team as a reserve lineman, and said this week he soon realized playing time on the defensive line wouldn?t come easily ? or quickly.

Midway through that season, he approached special teams coach Russ Purnell.

?I was active some games as a rookie and inactive other games,? Reid said. ?I just asked the special teams coach, ?Try me out. See what I can do out there.? He did and it worked out.?

When it did, the Colts suddenly had a relatively unique special teams player ? a defensive tackle covering kickoffs, and doing so with rare speed and athleticism for a player of his size (6-feet-2, 288 pounds).

Reid played eight games as a rookie, starting one, and made three special teams tackles. Last season, he played extensively, playing in 15 games as a reserve and finishing second on the team ? just behind linebacker Rob Morris ? with 19 special teams tackles.

This season, while playing in 16 games as a reserve defensive lineman, Reid has continued to emerge as a force on special teams. He has played tackle and end this season, starting at end in the season finale, and he has a half a sack and five quarterback pressures.

He leads the Colts with a career-high 22 special teams tackles, seven

more than anyone else on the roster.

?He?s a guy who can run pretty well for a defensive lineman,? Dungy said. ?He just brings a mindset of, ?I?m going to run down there and run through people.? He?s a difficult matchup to block. He is athletic enough to adjust and make some plays on those coverage units. He?s been very, very good.?

Reid?s hit on Henry was his second such play in as many weeks. The week before, in the Colts? victory over the Houston Texans, he had a crowd-silencing hit on a kickoff return, a play that was among three tackles on kickoffs and one on punts in that game.

Reid that week was named the AFC?s Special Teams Player of the Week, and although many players prefer not to play special teams, Reid said with him, that?s hardly the case.

?I don?t mind it,? he said. ?If it wasn?t for special teams, I don?t know if I?d still be around here. That?s what?s kind of kept me around here. We have a great defensive line, so it?s tough to go in there and get plays. We have (defensive end) Dwight Freeney, (defensive tackle Anthony) ?Booger? McFarland, Raheem Brock . . . It?s tough to get snaps.

?In special teams, you know you?re going to get in and it?s effort and intensity.?

And once in a while, Reid said, a chance may come for a memorable hit. When it does, he said, it?s a feeling unmatched ? and nearly indescribable.

?That, ooohh of the crowd ? it?s a silent, ?ooohh,? if that makes sense,?? Reid said. ?The dome will be rocking, and then they show that replay. Everybody?s silent and then it?s, ?ooohh.? It?s a great feeling. It gets me hyped up.?

This past Sunday?s ?oooh?? was a special one, and not just because of the impact and force of the hit. The Titans double-teamed Reid most of the game, and did so on the hit on Henry.

?I guess I saw the Houston film and said, ?We?re not going to let this guy get free this week,??? Reid said, ?but the young guys have been doing a great job running the last couple of weeks and making the returns cut back right into me.?

On Sunday, when Henry cut back, the result was a play that Dungy saw once live, and once on replay, then opted not to view again.

?You never want to see someone get hit like that,? Dungy said. ?After that, I didn?t want to look at it again.?

Reid said the way he figures it, it?s his job to make such hits, and that he has improved and become more consistent doing so can be attributed at least partially to do the desire to do so.

?I think I?ve become more of a student of the game,? Reid said. ?Watching more film, week in and week out, just knowing other teams, knowing their returns ? it just makes you that much better knowing who has a chance to block you.

?I want us as a unit to play better, especially going into the playoffs. It?d be nice if we could play a lot better than we played most of the season.?

And Reid said he wants to continue to be a part of that effort, a desire he said he has had since he was a rookie and noticed Colts? defensive end Robert Mathis ? already one of the NFL?s top pass rushers ? playing and excelling on special teams.

?It?s attitude and intensity,? Reid said. ?When I came in to the league, I used to watch Robert Mathis. When I first got here, he was a special teams player and a third-down rusher. On special teams, he was always making plays.

?I?m not as fast as Rob, but I tried to watch him and see what he did out there and the attitude he brought to special teams. Watching guys like him and Rob Morris, I tried to bring the energy and attitude they had.?

The General

Colts' top draft could be key piece in playoff run

Anthony Gonzalez walked into his first NFL training camp with bright eyes and big hopes.

Then his head started spinning.

The rigors of learning Indy's extensive playbook, the no-huddle offense and, of course, all those uncanny audibles Peyton Manning makes was frustrating -- even to a self-proclaimed fast learner.

But in the past two months, Gonzalez has settled in and settled down, emerging as an increasingly important cog in the Colts' offense and becoming a vital part in what the Super Bowl champions hope is a playoff run to defend their title.

"Anytime you do the same thing for 16 weeks, you start to get more comfortable," Gonzalez said. "For me, personally, it just took some time to get comfortable with this offense and like I tell everyone, I've still got a lot of work to do."

At first glance, Gonzalez considered Indy (13-3) a glamorous situation.

He relished the thought of making big plays, scoring touchdowns, playing with two Pro Bowl receivers and catching passes from a two-time league MVP. Not to mention playing with a Super Bowl team. What receiver wouldn't like the script?

But the reality is that slow starts have always been part of the learning curve for Indy's receivers.

Marvin Harrison caught only 59 passes in the first season Tom Moore took over as offensive coordinator before reeling off four straight 100-catch seasons. Part of the explanation then was that it was also Manning's rookie season.

Two-time Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne caught 27 passes as a rookie and 49 in his second season, before breaking out in his third year. And tight end Dallas Clark had 29 catches in his first NFL season, in 2003, before a leg injury cost him the final six games.

The common thread was that all three were first-round picks, like Gonzalez, who seemed destined to follow a similar trajectory after catching 15 passes for 207 yards and no touchdowns in his first 10 games.

Everything changed Thanksgiving night, when Gonzalez caught six passes for 105 yards at Atlanta.

Suddenly, his season got a jump start. During the next four games, he caught 16 passes for 264 yards and three TDs, producing a second 100-yard game and suddenly emerging as a solid fill-in for the injured Harrison.

"Probably the toughest thing for me was not a football thing," he said. "I was still getting used to the lifestyle, living in the city, all the things that most people struggle with when they take a new job."

The Colts drafted Gonzalez to add a slot receiver after releasing the oft-injured Brandon Stokley, and to find a potential replacement for Harrison, now 35.

But when Harrison went down with a left knee injury in September, Gonzalez was forced into action and the early results were mixed. He caught seven passes for 71 yards when Harrison missed the Tampa Bay game, then caught just two passes over the next three games including a touchdown pass that was ripped away by New England.

That's when the Colts decided to start giving Gonzalez the expanded version of the offense by letting him line up outside more frequently.

It worked.

"I think his biggest strides have been learning the entire offense and how he fits in it," coach Tony Dungy said. "A lot of that came when he started moving around. That's what he's really done is learned the whole thing and become a lot more relaxed."

Gonzalez's playoff debut could change the equation again.

If Harrison returns for next week's divisional-round game, as expected, Gonzalez will likely find himself back in the slot where the Colts think he can cause matchup problems for opponents and give Manning yet another capable outlet in the receiving game.

Given his recent play, the experience and knowledge he's gained and the comfort level he's finally achieved, it could be just what the Colts need to win another title.

Or at least help Gonzalez continue to master his craft.

"The feedback hasn't changed," he said. "Peyton has always given me a lot of feedback and told me things I needed to know. What's hard is that I know what it takes to be successful consistently, and that's what I have to continue to get better at."

Colts' top draft could be key piece in playoff run - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Polian deals with present, also keeps eye on future.

The pursuit of another Vince Lombardi Trophy to place alongside the one they captured last February begins in earnest Monday when the Indianapolis Colts return from a three-day weekend to their West 56th Street headquarters.

But while coach Tony Dungy and his players will focus solely on next Sunday's playoff opener, Bill Polian isn't allowed such narrow vision.

The present is paramount, but the future beckons.

"In this job, you have to do two things,'' said Polian, the Colts' president since 1998. "You have to be in the present and deal with whatever issues the present roster and exigencies tomorrow's game bring, and then you have to worry about what the composition of the roster's going to be next year and the year after that.''

Most important in the long term is keeping key players under contract. That has proven increasingly difficult amid salary rules designed to promote parity, but Polian has proven a master.

He made his latest move in late December by locking up Pro Bowl safety Bob Sanders through the 2012 season. The cost: $37.5 million, including approximately $20 million guaranteed. During the summer, the team made career sack leader Dwight Freeney the highest-paid defensive player in league history with a six-year, $72 million contract that included more than $30 million in guarantees.

The importance of finalizing Sanders' deal can't be overstated. It effectively ensured that another front-line player who will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end -- tight end Dallas Clark -- will remain with the team in 2008. That's because if a long-term deal can't be reached, the Colts will resort to Plan B: the franchise tag. For Clark, that would be a one-year contract worth more than $4.5 million.

"One way or the other; either by a contract or via the franchise tag,'' Polian said. "Our preference would be via contract.''

Polian added discussions with Neil Cornrich, Clark's agent, haven't been very promising, "but those things can change.''

Three other players who will start in next Sunday's postseason opener also will be unrestricted free agents after the season: guards Jake Scott and Ryan Lilja and defensive end Josh Thomas.

"I'm not certain we can sign everybody when it's all said and done,'' Polian said. "The odds are not great that you can, but we're going to try.''

The Colts suffered several free agent losses after last season's Super Bowl, notably starting cornerbacks Nick Harper and Jason David, running back Dominic Rhodes, linebacker Cato June and safety Mike Doss.

Yet despite those and previous such departures, Polian and his staff have been adept at identifying players critical to the growth of the team and re-signing them before they hit the free agent market. Examples include quarterback Peyton Manning, receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, offensive tackle Ryan Diem, center Jeff Saturday, defensive linemen Raheem Brock and Robert Mathis, linebacker Gary Brackett, Freeney and Sanders.

"You like to see the organization you're playing for have the commitment to being a contender every single year,'' Manning said. "I hope that continues.

"There are plenty of players you hope they keep.''

Manning's salary-cap number will increase from $8.2 million this year to more than $18 million in 2008, when the NFL's salary cap increases from $109 million to $116 million. Although the Colts could use some bookkeeping measures to lower Manning's cap hit, "that's not a high-priority item,'' according to Polian. "We can carry him (at that figure).''

One player under contract whose future is uncertain is Anthony "Booger'' McFarland. The veteran defensive tackle suffered a season-ending patella tendon injury during training camp and will count $6.85 million against the '08 cap.

Considering the development of several young defensive linemen, it's conceivable the team would terminate McFarland's contract.

Polian deals with present, also keeps eye on future | IndyStar.com

The General

Dallas Clark will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He might get the Colts' franchise tag.

--www.indystar.com

The General

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers is too inconsistent and too inexperienced to lead San Diego past the Colts in the AFC playoffs, writes Steve Silverman.

Chargers don’t have the juice to beat the Colts

Rivers too inconsistent to ensure San Diego matches Indy’s talent

There is joy in Mudville ... um … San Diego. The Chargers have won a playoff game.

For the first time since their improbable 1994 run to the Super Bowl, the Chargers have won a playoff game. That team had Stan “The Man” Humphries at quarterback and Natrone Means at running back. This team has Philip Rivers and LaDainian Tomlinson leading the way.

And now, they face the Colts.

With a 23-21 victory over Indianapolis earlier this season, the Chargers should feel confident. But unless Rivers gets a dose of maturity and inherits a big-league arm in the next seven days, the Chargers will once again see their season come to a brutal end.

The Chargers’ wild-card win over Tennessee was no thing of beauty. They merely outlasted the undermanned Titans. The real Chargers got blanked in the first half. The scatter-armed Rivers did a good job of getting upset with teammates who may or may not have run the correct routes, but he failed to deliver the ball with the kind of zip that will be needed to beat the Colts.

Rivers’ numbers were respectable, and he some decent throws in the second half when the Chargers were able to finally get going, but that is just not going to work against the Colts.

Especially the rested Colts.

Indianapolis should be able to get all the kinks out of their system against the Chargers in order to get ready for Round 2 against the Patriots. Don’t let any of the well-rehearsed players in New England and Indianapolis tell you they are not looking forward to meeting in the AFC Championship. That's what ultimately weighs on their minds.

Both teams could lose by making mistakes, but neither will get outplayed in their divisional games.

That’s not really a knock on the Chargers or the Jaguars. Indianapolis and New England are simply more talented, more experienced and more dominant.

The Chargers had a much better chance of reaching the promised land a year ago, when they had homefield advantage over the Patriots and Marty Schottenheimer at head coach. However, New England found a way to win on the road — on a team didn’t have Randy Moss, Wes Welker or Adalius Thomas.

And the Colts have nearly as many weapons as the Patriots. Peyton Manning has a 4-game postseason winning streak. Not only does he have Reggie Wayne coming off his best season (104 catches for 1,510 yards and 10 TDs), Manning’s favorite receiver should be back. Marvin Harrison hasn’t played since a mid-October win at Jacksonville because of a bruised knee, but should be ready to go. Throw in tight ends Dallas Clark and Ben Utecht, along with rookie wideout Anthony Gonzalez and Manning has six reliable targets.

They're almost as good on the ground.

Running back Joseph Addai punched out 1,072 yards and 12 touchdowns despite missing one game and sitting out most of the final two games. He can take the pressure off Manning and the passing game. The Chargers are vulnerable in that area, ranking 17th in yards allowed per rush.

The Chargers shouldn't count on Manning repeating his 6-interception meltdown he had against them in mid-November. Indianapolis was coming off its titanic matchup with New England, and Manning's mindset will be different for this game.

The Colts have the embarrassing loss to the Chargers burned into their minds. Manning will come out firing and the Colts will be able to move the ball on a San Diego defense that is not perfect.

The Chargers may lead the league with 48 forced turnovers, but their safeties, Marlon McCree and Clinton Hart, are a step slow in coverage and late-arriving on running plays. Missed tackles are often the result.

Conversely, the Colts will not cower when they take the field against Tomlinson. The Colts were third in the league in run defense. The Titans focused their defense on stopping Tomlinson and held him to 42 yards. The Colts may be able to come close to matching that figure.

What about tight end Antonio Gates, who suffered a badly sprained big toe against Tennessee? Even if he can line up against the Colts, he won’t be able to push off and get up the seam quickly. That puts added pressure on Rivers, which doesn't bode well for San Diego.

Chargers coach Norv Turner is a decent strategist, but he lacks some of the other necessities when it comes to being great, such as inspiring his players. It wasn’t in Washington or Oakland and there’s nothing to indicate that it has gotten any better in San Diego.

Tony Dungy has no such weakness. He's guided the Colts to an NFL title last season, won at least 12 games in five straight seasons, and built the Tampa Bay team that Jon Gruden guided to Super Bowl XXXVII.

The Colts are too strong, too healthy and are playing at home. They won’t let their opportunity to punch their ticket to New England slip through their grasp.

Opinion: Chargers don?€™t have enough to top Colts - NFL - MSNBC.com

The General

Colts safety Bob Sanders wins NFL Defensive Player award

Bob Sanders wants to redefine the role of NFL safeties.

He thinks they should cover receivers deep, lock up tight ends and running backs in man-to-man coverage, be versatile enough to play in nickel packages, stuff the run, and, yes, still carry that old, big-hitting label.

A few more seasons like 2007 could turn Sanders into the league's newest trendsetter.

On Monday, Sanders was rewarded for his do-it-all style by becoming the first Colts' player to earn the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award.

"I think the league is beginning to recognize that safeties are very important to a good defense," Sanders said. "I think I'm only the fourth safety to ever win this award, and it's an awesome feeling to be in Ed Reed's shoes."

Reed, the 2004 honoree, was the last safety to win the award, and Sanders and Reed are the only safeties to win it since Seattle's Kenny Easley in 1984. Miami's Dick Anderson also won the award in 1973.

The voting wasn't close.

Less than two weeks after becoming the league's highest-paid safety, Sanders received 31 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the NFL, easily outdistancing Seattle end Patrick Kerney and Tennessee tackle Albert Haynesworth. Kerney and Haynesworth each got four votes.

Sanders established career-highs in tackles (132), sacks (3 1/2 ) and interceptions (two) and became the uncontested leader in Indy's impressive defensive turnaround when three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney went down with a season-ending foot injury in mid-November.

As opponents found out, Sanders never slowed down.

"He is a lot like Donnie Shell and John Lynch," coach Tony Dungy said, referring to two safeties he knew from his days in Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. "But he (Sanders) is a 4.4 guy with that striking ability, and that's rare to find."

While most think of Sanders' jaw-jarring hits, his impact is of a different sort in Indy.

In 2006, when he missed 12 regular-season games because of injuries, the Colts allowed a league-high 5.3 yards per carry. When he returned for the playoffs, nobody could run on Indy.

Sanders returned this year with a Super Bowl ring and determined to play in all 16 games, something he had never done in his previous three NFL seasons. He nearly made it -- missing one game with bruised ribs -- and prompting joking fans to suggest the Colts shouldn't play him until the playoffs.

But Sanders, nicknamed "The Eraser" by Dungy because of his ability to cover up teammates' mistakes, found himself in a new role. The Colts moved him closer to the line of scrimmage this season, and he helped Indy finish ranked No. 3 overall in defense, No. 2 against the pass and No. 1 in points allowed (262). Opponents' rushing averages also dropped to 3.8 yards.

Those numbers, combined with Sanders' continual highlights, gave the Colts' often overlooked defense a new identity.

"We're no longer the no-name Colts defense," middle linebacker Gary Brackett joked. "He's a game-changer. But his presence gives us a comfort level, knowing he's going to be back there to clean up for us."

There was a time, however, Sanders wanted to be the league's hardest-hitting running back.

He grew up in Pennsylvania idolizing Barry Sanders and still dreamed of playing running back until his sophomore season at Iowa. It was then, after earning all-Big Ten honors, Sanders convinced himself he was better-suited to playing defense.

And now the muscular 5-foot-8, 206-pound safety wants to show everyone he can do more than hit.

"It's still a work in progress, and I think there's a lot left out there for safeties to do," he said. "I think a safety has to be a guy who can do everything anywhere on the field. ... I want to be that guy and I want to help other guys realize they can do everything."

Also receiving votes were defensive back Antonio Cromartie of San Diego with three; linebackers Mike Vrabel of New England and DeMarcus Ware of Dallas (2); and cornerback Ronde Barber of Tampa Bay, linebacker James Harrison of Pittsburgh, rookie linebacker Patrick Willis of San Francisco, and end Mario Williams of Houston, each with one vote.

Last year's winner was Miami defensive end Jason Taylor.

Sanders' selection came as a surprise to some with the Colts, a franchise better known for scoring points than playing physical defense.

"To me, that's probably the biggest statement because the national perception is that we're an offensive team," Dungy said. "I thought for someone to win it on this team, it would take a big, big impact just to be considered."

Big impact? Sounds like a job for Sanders.

"I think I'm beginning to show flashes here and there of what I can do," he said. "I can play man-to-man, I can go up and make a play on the ball, I'm making plays at the line of scrimmage or behind the line of scrimmage and I didn't blitz a lot but when I did, I got there. I want to show everyone that's how you can play safety in this league."

Colts safety Bob Sanders wins NFL Defensive Player award - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Colts ready to face familiar foe, turn tables on Chargers

The Indianapolis Colts pride themselves on consistency.

But when they play San Diego, they usually look like somebody else. The scoring efficiency drops, the mistakes compound and the lapses have created some forgettable moments.

It's a trend Indy must change Sunday if it hopes to defend its Super Bowl title.

"I think they've definitely had our number the last couple of times we played them, but I don't think that will be the case Sunday," middle linebacker Gary Brackett said.

Of all the nondivision teams, other than New England, the Colts (13-3) may know the Chargers better than anybody. Sunday's divisional-round playoff game marks the fourth meeting between these teams since 2004, with San Diego holding a 2-1 edge.

And it doesn't take a genius to figure out a winning formula: Stop LaDainian Tomlinson, block Shawne Merriman and figure out how to make plays against San Diego's stingy defense.

Recently, the script has been problematic.

In December 2005, San Diego's last visit to the RCA Dome, the Colts were 13-0 and trying to maintain their quest for perfection. The Chargers (12-5) relentlessly pressured two-time league MVP Peyton Manning and used a long touchdown run from Michael Turner to seal a 26-17 victory.

Indy returned to San Diego in November, and the result was worse. Manning, nicknamed Perfect Peyton by former Chargers quarterback Ryan Leaf, threw a franchise-record six interceptions, Darren Sproles returned a punt and a kickoff for a touchdown in the first quarter and Mr. Clutch, Adam Vinatieri, pushed a 29-yard field goal wide right with 1:31 left. San Diego 23, Indy 21.

Of course, one reason for the Colts' poor play two months ago was because they weren't themselves. Receivers Marvin Harrison and Anthony Gonzalez, tight end Dallas Clark, left tackle Tony Ugoh and linebackers Freddy Keiaho and Tyjuan Hagler were all out with injuries.

Indy also lost three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney and right tackle Ryan Diem during the game because of injuries. All but Freeney, who is on injured reserve after having foot surgery, are expected to play on Sunday.

But the Colts understand that having a full cast does not necessarily mean they'll be heading to their third AFC championship game since 2003.

"Not at all," Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday said when asked if injuries alone explained the loss. "Look we turned the ball over, we gave up touchdowns on special teams, we gave up a lot of things that game. We've got to play better than that this week."

What's the problem?

Some contend that Indy struggles against 3-4 defenses, which the Chargers use heavily. The track record against other 3-4 teams, such as New England and Pittsburgh, adds credibility to the premise.

The Patriots and Steelers eliminated Indy from the playoffs in 2003, 2004 and 2005, and the Colts have lost 10 of their past 11 against the Steelers and are 3-5 against the Pats since Tony Dungy arrived in 2002.

Dungy, however, does not believe its merely the defensive front that causes problems.

"I don't know that we've had trouble with the 3-4, we've had trouble with teams that play the 3-4 who have good players and can have four guys come in at any time without having to blitz and still be in man coverage," Dungy said. "There are a lot of variations of it, and it can cause you problems."

Which is one reason the Colts spent part of their bye week cramming.

Dungy wanted his team to focus on basics last week without wasting time preparing for three possible opponents, but made part of the lesson a refresher course on the basics of playing the 3-4.

"If you look at the teams we've lost to in the past, some of them have been 3-4 teams, and they aren't going to change when they come in here," Saturday said. "But I always think it's the personnel and we know them pretty well."

The extra time may help them contend with more than just Merriman and Shaun Phillips, too, because a win could set up a rematch with New England.

But given the matchups, and the Colts' recent struggles against San Diego, Indy knows it will require more than a little fine-tuning to get ready this week.

"We played poorly in all phases the last game and we fought in the second half," Brackett said. "If it proved anything, it's that we have to start fast and that's what we want to do Sunday."

Colts ready to face familiar foe, turn tables on Chargers - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The General

Chargers' next opponent: Indianapolis Colts (13-3, AFC South champions).

In more ways than one, the Colts team the Chargers will see Sunday in Indianapolis will not be the same one they beat in November at Qualcomm Stadium. All teams change throughout the season, of course, but that night the Colts were extremely shorthanded, with six front-line players sitting out and two more starters leaving during the game.

Of those eight, however, all but defensive end Dwight Freeney (injured reserve) are expected to practice today and play Sunday. That includes wide receiver Marvin Harrison, who has missed 11 of the past 12 games, along with No. 3 receiver Anthony Gonzalez, tight end Dallas Clark, tackles Tony Ugoh and Ryan Diem and linebackers Tyjuan Hagler and Freddy Keiaho.

The defending Super Bowl champions were dominant through most of this season. The Colts outscored their opponents by nearly 200 points (450-262). No team allowed fewer points, and only the Pats and Cowboys scored more. Indy's defense also finished second in passing yards allowed (172.8 per game) and third in total yards allowed (279.7).
? JAY POSNER

FAMILIAR FACES

Linebacker Freddy Keiaho switched to defense from fullback at SDSU and was all-conference as a senior in 2005. Defensive ends coach John Teerlinck (1974-77) and running backs coach Gene Huey (1969) played for the Chargers. Defensive assistant Rod Perry (1997-2001) and offensive line coach Howard Mudd (1974-76) served as Chargers assistants.

INJURY REPORT

Fresh off a bye week, the Colts expect everyone to practice today except starting H-back Ben Utecht (shoulder). That includes WR Marvin Harrison, although it's easy to be skeptical about his participation until he's actually seen on the field.

LAST MEETING

The Chargers were held to a season-low 177 yards but pulled out a 23-21 win Nov. 11. Antonio Cromartie had three of the Chargers' six interceptions and Darren Sproles returned the opening kickoff and a first-quarter punt for TDs. The Colts had a chance to win, but Adam Vinatieri missed a 29-yard field-goal try with 1:31 left.

THREE PLAYERS TO WATCH

Peyton Manning: His numbers weren't otherworldly for once, but they were still pretty good, especially given the injury problems around him. Manning threw six interceptions at San Diego in November, but just eight in his other 15 games. He has eight TDs and 11 INTs in five career starts vs. the Chargers. The Colts are 7-6 in his postseason starts.

Bob Sanders: The fourth-year veteran strong safety just became the first Colts player to be voted NFL Defensive Player of the Year. He was second on the team in tackles, tied for second in sacks (3.5) and added two INTs. He will be a key if Indianapolis is going to shut down the Chargers' running game.

Reggie Wayne: This will be the first time since Week 6 that all the Colts' top receivers play in the same game. Wayne was the one guy there all along, and he led the league in receiving yardage (1,510), finished third in receptions (104) and tied for eighth in TDs (11). He had 140 yards in the first meeting vs. San Diego.

SERIES HISTORY

The Chargers are one of just two teams with more than one victory against the Colts in the past three seasons, having won at Indy in 2005 and at San Diego in November. (Tennessee is 2-4 vs. Indy in that span.) San Diego leads the overall series 14-9, including the only postseason meeting, a 35-20 Colts victory at Qualcomm Stadium in 1995. The Chargers are 8-3 at the RCA Dome.

DID YOU KNOW?

Manning and Tony Dungy have a 73-23 regular-season record together, a .760 winning percentage that ranks second all-time for quarterback-coach combos since the 1970 merger, just ahead of Ken Stabler and John Madden (60-19-1, .756). No. 1 on the list? Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, the combo the Chargers likely would have to beat next week if they upset the Colts. The New England duo is 86-24 (.782).

DID YOU HEAR?

?We turned the ball over, we gave up touchdowns on special teams, we gave up a lot of things that game. We've got to play better than that this week.? ? Colts center Jeff Saturday, saying injuries alone did not explain loss at San Diego

KEY STAT

The Chargers led the league in takeaways (48) and turnover margin (plus-24), thanks in part to the six interceptions of Manning in the first meeting. That was an aberration for both quarterback and team, however. Indy ranked second in takeaways (37) and turnover margin (plus-18), and during Dungy's six seasons, the Colts have the fewest giveaways (126) and the best turnover margin (plus-61) in the league.

PROJECTED STARTERS

OFFENSE

WR 87 Reggie Wayne

LT 67 Tony Ugoh

LG 65Ryan Lilja

C 63 Jeff Saturday

RG 73 Jake Scott

RT 71 Ryan Diem

TE 44 Dallas Clark

WR 88 Marvin Harrison

QB 18 Peyton Manning

H-B 81 Bryan Fletcher

RB 29 Joseph Addai

DEFENSE

LE 98 Robert Mathis

LT 79 Raheem Brock

RT 99 Ed Johnson

RE 91 Josh Thomas

SLB 56 Tyjuan Hagler

MLB 58 Gary Brackett

WLB 54 Freddy Keiaho

LCB 26 Kelvin Hayden

RCB 28 Marlin Jackson

SS 21 Bob Sanders

FS 41 Antoine Bethea

SPECIAL TEAMS

P 17 Hunter Smith

K 4 Adam Vinatieri

SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Colts have their big horses back in the stable

The General

Colts Revamped Secondary Shows More Physical Side

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 12:31 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS - Cornerbacks Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden have made the Indianapolis Colts more physical on defense.

They were question marks at the beginning of the season, when they were taking the place of departed Super Bowl starters Nick Harper and Jason David.

But the replacements are bigger, faster and more physical than Harper and David, and they've produced better results. Hayden ranks third on the team with 117 tackles; Jackson is fourth with 112. They've combined for four interceptions, 17 pass breakups and three forced fumbles.

The Colts are now second in the NFL in pass defense, and no quarterback has thrown for more than 260 yards against Indy this season, not even New England's Tom Brady.

The Colts play San Diego on Sunday in an AFC divisional game.

Lafayette, Indiana Weather, News, Sports and Entertainment WLFI.com News Channel 18, Its News Where You Live: Colts Revamped Secondary Shows More Physical Side

The General

Stop if you’ve heard this before: The Colts expect Marvin Harrison to be in the starting lineup Sunday when they open their postseason against San Diego. But they're guaranteeing nothing.

The team’s eight-time Pro Bowl receiver went through practice today, as did everyone else. Harrison missed 11 of the last 12 games after injuring his left knee Sept. 30 against Denver.

“I probably can’t say without any doubt that he’ll play because I thought that he might play the last week and it didn’t work out that way,’’ coach Tony Dungy said. “But he’s practicing. We’re planning on him starting, but we’ll see how it goes.’’

Harrison practiced in the days leading up to the regular-season finale with Tennessee, but was held out of the game after going through drills prior to the game.

Eight other players who missed the Titans game because of injury practiced Wednesday: offensive tackle Ryan Diem (knee), safety Antoine Bethea (knee), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (rib), defensive end Robert Mathis (defensive end), wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (foot), tight end Ben Utecht (shoulder), and cornerbacks Tim Jennings (concussion) and Keiwan Ratliff (hamstring).

“I think we will be as good health-wise as we’ve been in a long time,’’ Dungy said.

Marvin's in the lineup, but will he play? | IndyStar.com

The General

01.09 - 06:00 PM
PRACTING AND PREPARING
Colts eight-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Marvin Harrison practiced Wednesday and is expected to start against the San Diego Chargers in an AFC Divisional Playoff game Sunday, Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy said. Harrison has missed the last 10 games with a knee injury. ...MORE

Harrison will come back and not be in rhythm. :hung

If he is able to perform 10% what a good thing for Indy. Who ya gonna double up on now, Defense? Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Gonzalez, Fletcher, Utecht??

It has just been silent about Harrison around here. Tight lipped.

The General

We finish up another good season. Good football team. 4 keys to this season. Harrison, Glenn, Freeney and the offensive line, but that is what all teams face. The Colt offensive line should be better next year wit more growth. I expect another 11/12 wins. I am proud of em, but we have to give Manning the time to sit in the pocket. IMO, Peyton has had way to much pressure and we have to repair that, but the Colts have the capability to bounce back in 2008. We'll be playing in a brand new state of the art facilty.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspscbrdbg height=18>Scores and Schedule</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ysptblbdr2><TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=3 height=18> Regular Season</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 9/6</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New Orleans</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 41-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 22-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 30-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 9/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Denver</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/7</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tampa Bay</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 33-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> bye</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> </TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Mon 10/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 29-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 10/28</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Carolina</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-7</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/4</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> New England</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 20-24</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/11</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at San Diego</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 21-23</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 11/18</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Kansas City</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 13-10</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Thu 11/22</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Atlanta</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 31-13</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/2</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Jacksonville</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 28-25</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/9</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Baltimore</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 44-20</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/16</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> at Oakland</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 21-14</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/23</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Houston</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> W 38-15</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow2><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 12/30</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Tennessee</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 10-16</TD></TR><TR class=ysptblthbody1><TD class=yspdetailttl colSpan=3 height=18> Playoffs</TD></TR><TR class=ysprow1><TD class=yspscores noWrap> Sun 1/13</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> San Diego</TD><TD class=yspscores noWrap> L 24-28</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thanks for tuning in and good luck to the Giants, Packers, Patriots and Chargers. 4 deserving teams.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The General

Quiet Caldwell hopes to make smooth transition with Colts.

Jim Caldwell is the perfect transitional figure.

Quiet and unassuming, he lacks the big ego of most NFL head coaches. He rarely becomes rattled, has a life outside of football, and isn't prone to making power plays, even if he is ready to become an NFL head coach.

Sound familiar? It should. Caldwell's personality is a virtual carbon-copy of Tony Dungy, which is one reason the Indianapolis Colts designated Dungy's top assistant as their new head coach-in-waiting Monday.

"Without question, he was the person we felt was best qualified to succeed Tony," team president Bill Polian said in announcing the decision.

Caldwell couldn't have created a better script.

He gets to apprentice under one of his most trusted friends, Dungy, and with team officials, notably Polian and owner Jim Irsay. Someday, he has been assured, he will take over as coach of the only franchise in league history with three straight 7-0 starts and five straight seasons with at least 12 wins.

There's the added bonus of working with two-time league MVP Peyton Manning and 2007 NFL defensive player of the year Bob Sanders for many more years, as well has having most of the other Colts' key players -- Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney among them -- locked up with long-term contracts.

"It's not very often you get an opportunity to take over and be involved with an organization that has been as successful as this one," Caldwell said. "Typically, you go into a situation where you have to restructure, rebuild."

Had Caldwell gotten a head coaching job with Arizona, Atlanta or Baltimore, all teams that have interviewed him over the past year, that's precisely the predicament he would have faced.

Those who know Caldwell best, believe the transition will work because of Caldwell's disciplined nature.

"I think he's a lot like Tony," Colts receivers coach Clyde Christensen said. "He has a very quiet demeanor with a very funny personality. They're both men of few words, but they're great listeners and both have a certain playfulness about them."

Irsay and Polian saw the same traits, which was enough to persuade them to take a chance on Caldwell.

This season, Caldwell will become more involved in the team's decision-making by participating in salary cap meetings, draft consultations and the like. It does not mean, however, his vote will carry as much weight as, say, Dungy.

Clearly, there will be questions about Caldwell's limited head-coaching experience.

In eight seasons at Wake Forest, his only other head coaching job at the pro or college level, Caldwell was a dismal 26-63. He also lost 28-13 in the only Colts game he coached, while filling in for Dungy at Seattle in December 2005.

Of course, Wake Forest has hardly been a traditional college power, and the 2005 loss came during a week in which the Colts were emotionally reeling from the death of Dungy's 18-year-old son, James, and playing primarily backups after wrapping up the AFC's top seed.

If the Colts learned anything over Dungy's first six seasons, it's that hires are about more than wins and losses.

"We had an opening for a quarterbacks coach (in Tampa), and it took 15 minutes for me to figure out he was that special person," Dungy said. "I wanted him to come here with me in '02 when we came and he's just continued to grow. I think he's going to be a great leader for this organization at some point."

Manning and Dungy both offered strong endorsements for Caldwell when he was doing the interview rounds this month, and Manning's father, Archie, has raved about how much his son likes working with Caldwell.

That part of it is not expected to change in 2008.

"In terms of my duties, they will not change," Caldwell said. "I'm still going to be working with the quarterbacks like I've always done, and I'm certainly here to do anything that my boss asks me to do."

It's also unlikely the 53-year-old native of Beloit, Wis., will change his approach.

"I have a unique opportunity to learn from men that know this business inside and out," Caldwell said. "As a head coach, there's probably no better example in this country than the man I work for and support.

"It's going to be a real pleasure to hang around here for an extended period of time."

Quiet Caldwell hopes to make smooth transition with Colts - NFL - Yahoo! Sports