Japan vs. Cuba

peteep

EOG Addicted
I am really enjoying this tournament. Besides the USA, the other teams I have watched seem to be playing with a lot of pride and heart. Also a treat to watch the Asian players. Not a hefty bunch but they get the job done.

sharky99

EOG Dedicated
In the 6th now, Japan 6 Cuba 3

Have also enjoyed watching the different teams and styles of play. Was strange to see Canada up 8-0 on the US early on in the tourney game and eventually taking that game 8-6, kind of a miracle on grass of sorts north of the border

dirty

EOG Master
peteep said:
I am really enjoying this tournament. Besides the USA, the other teams I have watched seem to be playing with a lot of pride and heart. Also a treat to watch the Asian players. Not a hefty bunch but they get the job done.

They play Baseball the way it is supposed to be played....Not a Base at a time like we do here in America...If you want to show your Kids how to play Baseball or Basketball....use the Asians or Carribean in Bases and the European in Baskets..and you will get how to play Fundamentally....

dirty said:
They play Baseball the way it is supposed to be played....Not a Base at a time like we do here in America...If you want to show your Kids how to play Baseball or Basketball....use the Asians or Carribean in Bases and the European in Baskets..and you will get how to play Fundamentally....

I'd think a base at a time would be the way to go as far as fundamentally when the opposite seems to be the HR which the US team was all about for the most part.

dirty

EOG Master
jakethompson said:
I'd think a base at a time would be the way to go as far as fundamentally when the opposite seems to be the HR which the US team was all about for the most part.

Totally Opposite

Base to base Bases is what we play here in America now......up until the late 80's we played the same

Base to Base Baseball:

is what we play in the US...Every hit we get you expect the Guy to get one base...Speed is taken from the Game. You don't play for the Hit and Run Situation, you don't steal a Base on Certain Defensive lapse Counts...you just depend on the Guy at the plate to push the Runners around.....some times he does....But Most times he doesn't....You have to Manufacture the Bases and the Runs you get

Baseball as it is to be played (short Version)

you play like the Far east did...You do what it takes to get on Base....Once on Base it is the Guy Behind you's job to move you ahead...Whether it be a bunt or Hitting to the other side or taking a Pitch to the Head, ass, or wherever.....you do your Job Then be done with it....But if you get oh Ahead of him....you try to Get over.....(SB)

You always have to hit Behind the Runner....Bottom line.....That is It...for me if you can't do that then you are Cut.....

YOu have to do the Fundamentals to Survive in life.....and Bases will tell you about it....:+thumbs-2

dirty

EOG Master
How many teams nowadays utilize the Hit an run

how many Utilize the steal as a Weapon????? Noone

nowasays if you steal 50 bases you are the man......shit used to under 70 you Sucked

Pitchers have gotten better at pick off moves. Carl Crawford and especially Joey Gathright are faster than Ricky was in his hayday but they can't approach his numbers. The game's changed. I don't think that guys just don't realize the value of the steal anymore; more to the fact that it's harder to take off than back in the day.

dirty

EOG Master
jakethompson said:
Pitchers have gotten better at pick off moves. Carl Crawford and especially Joey Gathright are faster than Ricky was in his hayday but they can't approach his numbers. The game's changed. I don't think that guys just don't realize the value of the steal anymore; more to the fact that it's harder to take off than back in the day.

Stealing Bases does have alot to do with speed....you don't have to be fast to steal Bases.....and just becuase you are Fast doesn't mean you can steal Bases...

It is Just a Feel you have and it is nothing noone can explain....you know when you can make it.....But Managers and Coaches that teach Baseball now take this Sixth Sense away from Kids and players.......I used to run like a deer..(in know it is hard to believe.).....I ran a 47 40 yard dash and in Bases we run the 60 yard dash and i used to run a 6.59.....I held the Freshman stolen base record at my College....Then they Turned me into a pitcher becaue I couldn't hit.

Stealing second is pretty much a jump you get on the pitcher and the Coach calls it....But stealing 3rd......is all feel...I could steal 3rd base standing up most times if I wanted.....But you slide just for respect.....it is just a rythem you get with the pitcher and what is going on in the game.....Hard to Explain unless you are out there....

I am sure it is the same at the ML level when the catchers have the better throwdown times.....Becuase you don't steal on the catcher...it is the pitcher...It is all in the Jump you get....No matter how good the Catcher is he has no chance if the pitcher doesn't hold you close.....

dirty said:
Stealing Bases does have alot to do with speed....you don't have to be fast to steal Bases.....and just becuase you are Fast doesn't mean you can steal Bases...

It is Just a Feel you have and it is nothing noone can explain....you know when you can make it.....But Managers and Coaches that teach Baseball now take this Sixth Sense away from Kids and players.......I used to run like a deer..(in know it is hard to believe.).....I ran a 47 40 yard dash and in Bases we run the 60 yard dash and i used to run a 6.59.....I held the Freshman stolen base record at my College....Then they Turned me into a pitcher becaue I couldn't hit.

Stealing second is pretty much a jump you get on the pitcher and the Coach calls it....But stealing 3rd......is all feel...I could steal 3rd base standing up most times if I wanted.....But you slide just for respect.....it is just a rythem you get with the pitcher and what is going on in the game.....Hard to Explain unless you are out there....

I am sure it is the same at the ML level when the catchers have the better throwdown times.....Becuase you don't steal on the catcher...it is the pitcher...It is all in the Jump you get....No matter how good the Catcher is he has no chance if the pitcher doesn't hold you close.....

Good thoughts and I agree with you on some parts. I was nowhere near the fastest guy on any baseball teams I played on but I got great jumps and could sense when to go. I might have been average fast but I could go (and still can, hell, I'm only 22).

Then again, I don't think the relation of that ability to the major league level has anything to do with anything.

It was a different era and I think Billy Beane has shown that a good eye and solid hitting will get you further than anything. Stealing bases is statistically a bad idea in manufacturing runs. I am a "Money Ball" guy and you can't argue with what Beane has done in Oakland.

Anyway, it's bedtime. Although I understand what you are talking about as far as stealing bases, it's different at the Major League level and stolen bases have little to do with run production. If you don't believe me, check the runs for the teams that stole a ton last season.

dirty

EOG Master
Counterpoint.....Check the runs the Braves scored in the early 90's when Otis "Thriller" Nixon was there and the Cards and Mets of the 80's when Vince Coleman was at the top....:cheers