JIM NANCE ON TIGERS CURSING

The Devil

EOG Master
If you're ever around Jim Nantz and there's a live microphone on hand, here's a tip: Don't swear.

In an appearance on a New York sports talk radio show Monday, Nantz, CBS' lead announcer on its golf telecasts, upbraided Tiger Woods for cursing during Saturday's third-round telecasts.

"If I would have said what he said on the air, I would be fired," said Nantz, while appearing on WFAN's Mike Francesa Show.

Nantz took umbrage at Woods for saying "You suck" to himself, as well as uttering a one-word phrase generally considered to be sacrilegious.

"Guess what? Phil Mickelson had a camera in his face all weekend," said Nantz. "Did you ever hear him come close to approaching that? He didn't hit every shot exactly the way he wanted. Have you ever heard Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicklaus use that kind of language?"

Nantz said that Woods had used coarser language than that during tour stops, but was "disappointed" in his slip given that Woods had pledged during prior interviews and press conferences to refrain from outbursts of either exuberance or anger.

"I can't say anything I want when I'm on a live broadcast," said Nantz. "Tiger's not the only guy who's got a camera in his face all day long. But he is the only one in the field who said he wasn't going to do that any more."

The normally placid Nantz allowed his voice to rise during a four-minute segment of his chat with Francesa as he chastised Woods for uttering vulgarities within the hearing of the gallery.

"Moreover, how about the father and son who are standing right there by the tee?" said Nantz. "How about the hundreds of people who are around that tee who hear that? How about the hundreds of letters I've gotten through the years from people who have been outraged at the language they've heard there and have written me and said, 'Why don't you guys ever say something about that?' "

Nantz also sharply criticized USA Today sports media columnist Michael Hiestand for characterizing Woods' use of the sacrilegious phrase as "mild," though he didn't refer to Hiestand by name.

"It was disappointing to see the broadcast open up on Saturday that way, and I didn't take it as mild, OK?" said Nantz. "It might have been mild to him (Hiestand), but I would like if I uttered the same word, I would like the same guy to write that that was mild language on my part, instead of asking for me to resign or be fired."

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: JIM NANCE ON TIGERS CURSING

Is Nantz on drugs? If I would have said what he did on air? You're a fucking announcer you dumb fuck, you're job is to TALK while Tigers is too play. Holy shit, how could he even say something so stupid?

By the way, anyone who has ever played golf should understand why Tiger swears on the golf course. I have no issues with him doing what he does. It works for him and he's emotional; it's part of what makes him great.

I can't believe Nantz could even compare what he is doing to what Tiger is doing with a straight face.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

"Moreover, how about the father and son who are standing right there by the tee?"

I have a simple response to this question.

Fuck them.

JD_

EOG Veteran

They hate him 'cause they ain't him. Simple as that. Even with all the drama.

Gimme a break. You would think Tiger went on an expletive laden tirade, telling children by the tee to go fvck themselves. Besides...since when did anyone give a damn about what Jim Nantz had to say? He has the TV persona of a retarded ostrich.

Apple

Banned

I havent been paying attention to this at all, what did swear word did Tiger say?

Sorry for my ignorance..

I havent been paying attention to this at all, what did swear word did Tiger say?

Sorry for my ignorance..
He yelled "you suck!" after hooking his first shot during one of the holes on Saturday. Whoop dee frickin' doo.

Nance is a classy guy, because he spoke only of what Tiger did then.

He barely mentioned the promise Tiger made to stop those outbursts. Which if he had wanted to he could have blasted him for.

Nance is a legend, and at this point has MUCH more credibilty that Tiger Woods has, especially if this stuff continues and any of the other tabloiod trash stories have any truth in them.

roach23

Banned

Nance is just grumpy cause his wife is talking half of all his $$$ cause of his divorce.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Nance is a classy guy, because he spoke only of what Tiger did then.

He barely mentioned the promise Tiger made to stop those outbursts. Which if he had wanted to he could have blasted him for.

Nance is a legend, and at this point has MUCH more credibilty that Tiger Woods has, especially if this stuff continues and any of the other tabloiod trash stories have any truth in them.
Who said anything about credibility. This is just another blow hard for the networks making his name bigger by rubbing his nose in something that isn't news worthy.

Tiger has played golf that for years and he's the greatest golfer alive. Nantz, maybe you shouldn't bore us to death. Maybe Tiger is swearing because he's listening to you in his ear and wants to kill himself because of how boring you are.

Apple

Banned

you suck is a swear word???

I always thought Nance was an overrated tight ass, but now I really can't stand him..

"you suck" is a swear word?? OMG this world is becoming a big fat pυssy.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He admitted to taking a younger lover (eww), but that it didn't matter much because his marriage was already "dead."

Weird, Nantz cheated on his wife too; so there goes wantitall's credibility argument. Whoops.

roach23

Banned

Who said anything about credibility. This is just another blow hard for the networks making his name bigger by rubbing his nose in something that isn't news worthy.

Tiger has played golf that for years and he's the greatest golfer alive. Nantz, maybe you shouldn't bore us to death. Maybe Tiger is swearing because he's listening to you in his ear and wants to kill himself because of how boring you are.

I agree with some of what you're saying but I don't think Jim Nantz needs to make a bigger name for himself.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I agree with some of what you're saying but I don't think Jim Nantz needs to make a bigger name for himself.
Yeah, probably true because I'm not sure if you can get much bigger than that load is in the broadcasting world, for some reason.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

that would have been some what funny but you cant laugh at your own joke.

posting 101

:LMAO

see..... gay

Yours wasn't funny before the laughing guy, though. You laughed at something that wasn't funny, so gay indeed. :thumbsup

Well I guess it could have been better for nance to lambast tiger for infidelity and then say that he himself had done it as well but was serial about it.

Pretty obvious the mentality of people here and pretty easy to see the ESPN era boys compared to people who know what Nance has done. And will continue to do. I would buy Nances futures right now before Tiger Woods futures thats for sure.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Well I guess it could have been better for nance to lambast tiger for infidelity and then say that he himself had done it as well but was serial about it.

Pretty obvious the mentality of people here and pretty easy to see the ESPN era boys compared to people who know what Nance has done. And will continue to do. I would buy Nances futures right now before Tiger Woods futures thats for sure.
1. You'd be an idiot to buy an announcers futures ahead of the greatest golfer alive, LOL.

2. You can't even spell his fucking name right. :doh1

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Now we got a guy comparing what Nantz has done to what Tiger has done. Holy shit, it doesn't get better than this.

They have both committed infidelity and scarred their families.
They both are heavily involved in charities but Tiger has way more money and has done way more for people
They both are ranked highly among their peers in their profession, but one guy makes a living talking about the other guy; seems like one couldn't survive with out out the other, but golf was around before announcing. Mr. Voice of reason.

railbird

EOG Master

Tiger uses Gods name in vain every duck hook, he is offensive to Christians. Tiger has no class at all. Nickalaus,Palmer, Mickelson dont do that stuff. Golf is a gentlemans game.

arent you the same idiot that said that UNC teams was the best team you ever saw play college basketball? That says it all I guess.

But that is the point, Nantz would have a job whether tiger played golf or not, feel free tolook up the other things he does that doesnt involve golf. And if Tiger was gone he would still be there and Tiger would be out ruining his life even further.

Since you are so into NCAA hoops you might be interested to know he announces that as well.

Opinions are opinions and Nantz is entitled to his, I also have an idea many more people agree with him than don't, and that is why Tiger despite his big comeback wont be getting nay new endorsement deals anytime soon.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Tiger uses Gods name in vain every duck hook, he is offensive to Christians. Tiger has no class at all. Nickalaus,Palmer, Mickelson dont do that stuff. Golf is a gentlemans game.
Don't think a guy who's not Christian really gives a fuck about what they think of him.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

arent you the same idiot that said that UNC teams was the best team you ever saw play college basketball? That says it all I guess.

But that is the point, Nantz would have a job whether tiger played golf or not, feel free tolook up the other things he does that doesnt involve golf. And if Tiger was gone he would still be there and Tiger would be out ruining his life even further.

Since you are so into NCAA hoops you might be interested to know he announces that as well.

Opinions are opinions and Nantz is entitled to his, I also have an idea many more people agree with him than don't, and that is why Tiger despite his big comeback wont be getting nay new endorsement deals anytime soon.
This has what to do with the topic at hand exactly?

He announces NCAA Hoops too? What? Crazy stuff, I never knew. :doh1

Tiger has sworn on the golf course for years, it's his place of work. When he gets frustrated, he can curse as he pleases because it's a free fucking country and he's working. When I get frustrated at work, I curse, when I get frustrated playing sports, I curse, because I'm human and get angry. If you expect him to follow some bullshit "gentlemen rules" that were put in place when Black people were only allowed to clean the balls (some gentlemen they were huh?) then so be it.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Being critical of Tigers on course antics is a joke. These guys should be kissing Tigers feet. He has made that tour so much money it's not even funny. He has put money in Nantz pocket with his "antics" as you call it and Nantz wants to take the high road?

People swear, get over it.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Timely can you stop posting for 2 minutes to let us all read something worthwhile

Thanks pal

Ole Jim better watch it or he will have to do even more mobile TV commercials to get money or write an awful book....again

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

pro athletes and amateur athletes who play individual sports like tennis and golf are more hard on themselves. nantz is a fucking childish idiot who doesn't 'get it." any competitive athlete pro or not will curse at himself during a match for hitting a bad shot at a bad time. quite natural.

This has what to do with the topic at hand exactly?

He announces NCAA Hoops too? What? Crazy stuff, I never knew. :doh1

Tiger has sworn on the golf course for years, it's his place of work. When he gets frustrated, he can curse as he pleases because it's a free fucking country and he's working. When I get frustrated at work, I curse, when I get frustrated playing sports, I curse, because I'm human and get angry. If you expect him to follow some bullshit "gentlemen rules" that were put in place when Black people were only allowed to clean the balls (some gentlemen they were huh?) then so be it.

What that section you highlighted means that you either arent old enough or arent educated enough or a little bit of both to form a valid opinion on pretty much anything. You can have an opion that is everyone's right, but it definitely questions the validity.

And the fact that you state you can openly swear at work says plenty about your lot in life and what type of job you qualify for. Because most jobs, in fact any with any sort of career aspect to them dont allow that stupidity.

Fell free to defend Tiger Woods all you want, he is a disingenous meglomaniac that wouldnt know remorse if it kicked him in the nuts. Nor do I think he is capable of making any sort of ethical decsion despite his media frenzy the past few weeks to the contrary. This guy has said more and smiled more and thanked more guys in the past 10 days than he has his entire career.

Can't judge anyone, and should always give people the benefit of the doubt. But with common sense you shold be able to smell bullshit when you hear it. And the fact that it was throughout the tournament on just about every shot he took that he didnt like, shows he hasnt made a single step, and doesnt look like he is even trying ot change that aspect.

Hey, I couldnt care less, but dont stand there with tears in your eyes telling me youre going to change. especially about the swearing and 'emotion' peopel really didnt car about that, but now thathe has said it and continues to do it they surely do. If not they wouldnt be talking about it. they would all be over talking to Jim Carrey and his foolishness.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

What that section you highlighted means that you either arent old enough or arent educated enough or a little bit of both to form a valid opinion on pretty much anything. You can have an opion that is everyone's right, but it definitely questions the validity.

And the fact that you state you can openly swear at work says plenty about your lot in life and what type of job you qualify for. Because most jobs, in fact any with any sort of career aspect to them dont allow that stupidity.

Fell free to defend Tiger Woods all you want, he is a disingenous meglomaniac that wouldnt know remorse if it kicked him in the nuts. Nor do I think he is capable of making any sort of ethical decsion despite his media frenzy the past few weeks to the contrary. This guy has said more and smiled more and thanked more guys in the past 10 days than he has his entire career.

Can't judge anyone, and should always give people the benefit of the doubt. But with common sense you shold be able to smell bullshit when you hear it. And the fact that it was throughout the tournament on just about every shot he took that he didnt like, shows he hasnt made a single step, and doesnt look like he is even trying ot change that aspect.

Hey, I couldnt care less, but dont stand there with tears in your eyes telling me youre going to change. especially about the swearing and 'emotion' peopel really didnt car about that, but now thathe has said it and continues to do it they surely do. If not they wouldnt be talking about it. they would all be over talking to Jim Carrey and his foolishness.
Are you kidding? :+clueless

I've watched my dad tell a fellow partner to get the fuck out of his office.

I've seen every Major Leaguer, NBA, NFL and NHL player swear out of frustration, so please explain to me why the PGA should be different? Roddick curses out chair people.

People don't swear in good work places.... :LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Oh, and people love when Tiger gets overly zealous after great moments, but that is possible because he gets so emotionally attached to the good and bad moments; you can't ask him to do one, and not the other.

Could you imagine if some lawyer or doctor came home and told you they were fired because they swore? ::LMAO:: Priceless shit.

tripp

EOG Master

Nantz is one of the best announcers there is and he is entitled to his opinion on the matter. Not a big deal.

My opinion is let the players say what they want and if certain parents deem it inappropriate for their children just don't bring them along. Easy solution.

Tiger had promised to cut out the swearing and all that, but it's an instinctive thing that is EXTREMELY difficult to stop. If anyone here has played golf you know the game can be very frustrating when you aren't playing as well as you expect to. Tiger isn't thinking about it when the words come out after a bad shot, they just fly. It happens.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

tiger looks real bad here imo and i like tiger....this was what, 5 days after he said he was going to clean up the language? screaming "god damnit!" at the top of your voice has no place on tv if you ask me, regardless of religious beliefs

munson15

I want winners...

He yelled "you suck!" after hooking his first shot during one of the holes on Saturday. Whoop dee frickin' doo.
He actually said, "Tiger Woods, you suck....god damn it!" I remember because I was surprised he didn't put a sock in it after he made a point to say he would be more restrained. On Sunday, there was another audible obscenity.:doh1

Well, if cursing is such an outrage, why doesn't CBS televise their events on a 10 second tape delay to ensure no one ever dares curse? They WANT the controversy, it generates ratings. Here we are talking fvcking golf on a Wednesday just because of it.