Missouri retires Derrick Chievous' #3 during halftime of the Kentucky game . . .

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
while Bradley transfer and now former MIzzou walk on Ronnie Suggs wears number #3 during the game.

Suggs apparently "channels" Chievous, leading the Tigers in scoring for the game (13 points) during their late 2nd half surge for the back door cover while trailing @ halftime 41-23. Final score 66-58 (common closing number 11.5).

Amazingly, turnover prone Missouri had less than Kentucky -- MU-12, UK-14 -- but still lost a game that never really was close. Missouri did close to within 6 points very late in the game, before Kentucky ended up winning by 8 points.

Chievous played for Missouri from 1984-1988 under Norm Stewart.

More from Anne Rogers Special to St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Derrick Chievous: (slightly edited by yours truly)

Seldom-seen Derrick Chievous relishes Mizzou jersey retirement
  • By Anne Rogers Special to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Former Missouri All-American Derrick Chievous, right, watches as his No. 3 jersey is presented in the rafters at Mizzou Arena on Tuesday, alongside athletics director Jim Sterk. Photo by Anne Rogers.

[COLUMBIA, MO. • When Derrick Chievous first stepped off the plane from New York in 1984, he said he felt like an alien in Columbia.

His colorful personality and scoring ability helped reenergize Norm Stewart’s program, and his ever-present Band-Aid, which gave him the nickname Band-Aid Man, made him stand out among other players.

Thirty-five years later, he’s no longer an alien. Columbia is his home.

And the number 3 that he wore from 1984-1988 now permanently hangs in the rafters of Mizzou Arena after his retirement ceremony Tuesday.

“The things they did and the things I said, people looked at me like, ‘This dude,’” Chievous said. “So for them to open their hearts and homes to me, it’s been a blessing. I had told somebody that when I chose a school, I wasn’t going back to New York, so I had to find somewhere I could live. Set up shop. I was blessed to meet so many people who are a part of my life. I live here, and not a lot of people know that I live here. It’s a beautiful place to still be yourself and help the community but be like a solar eclipse. Seldom seen.” (editors note: I really like this turn of phrase. I'll have to use it my self.)

Mizzou’s current players warmed up in white jersey-shirts, with the old-school “Missouri,” complete with the big gold M, splashed across the front (The type worn when Chievous played). On the back was “Chievous” and the number 3. But Chievous, always with a New York Yankees hat on ( he's from Jamaica, New York), wore a different shirt. It had a picture of Mizzou legend John Brown, who was one of Stewart’s first big-time recruits and played for the Tigers from 1971-1973. MU will retire Brown’s No. 50 soon, too. “When greatness moves in silence,” was written on the front of the shirt.

I told (Brown), I said, ‘Man, let me honor you,’” Chievous said.

Chievous’ has a hard time moving past his team’s postseason failures. Mizzou lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament each of his final three seasons.

(But he spoke) to Martin’s team (despite misgivings due to his post season failures), and he gave reassurance that the Tigers (12-12, 3-9) would figure things out.
“He’s going to get everything right, man, with the product on the floor to actually get the fans back here to see something exciting,” Chievous said.]

My closing thought paraphrasing Anne Rogers:

Finally, 31 years after he played his final game in 1988, Missouri’s all-time leading scorer, The Band Aid Man, Derrick Chievous, has his number 3 hanging alongside the program’s other storied numbers in the rafters of Mizzou Arena. (Chievous played in the Hearnes Center.) However, it's not clear whether Suggs continues wearing number 3 for the rest of the season.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kentucky up 18 at the break, wins by 8.

I'm always leery of double-digit favorites this time of season.

The two bets that worked: Kentucky first half and Missouri second half.

I never lose after the game is over.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
And, surprisingly, a Missouri game bet, after a pathetic first half.

However, Missouri does play Kentucky well in Columbia in terms of the point spread, I believe, covering three of the last four at home, winning last seasons home game vs UK outright for their first ever win over Kentucky.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No need for Calipari to crack the whip.

Earlier this month, he half-jokingly hinted he did not want his team to play too well and peak too soon.

I remember a game several years ago when Calipari said to a sideline reporter at halftime of a UK game, "I hope we lose."