Mods...simple question regarding private messages

Timetopay

EOG Master
Re: Mods...simple question regarding private messages

Nah. Dirty had told me a while back they can see them. Blondie says no but not sure why Dirty would make that up...

WVU

EOG Master

he just told me the same, however EOG did not have pms while he was working here

mofome

Banned

yeah dirty doesnt know shit because he wasnt here when we added pms.

i dont think anyone can read pms. I have never looked to see if you can; I only know how to do the most basic things in the back.

ballwonder

EOG Master

PM's are not visible here. I know on some forums you can have an add on where you can view pm's. However, pm's are not viewable here. If any forum is viewing pm's that is an extreme privacy issue imo. If I am a forum member and my pm's are being read, adios.

no way they are private. maybe private from the public, but not the mod's, or at least not across the street they aren't. if they were private i would never have been put on PR

WVU

EOG Master

OK. Thanks Mo and Ball. It would be pretty shitty if mods on these forums were reading pms.

ballwonder

EOG Master

The only thing we are able to do is see how many pm's one has, that is all. So for example my limit on pm's is 1,000. If I had total 775 pm's it would show my name with 775 pm's, thats it.

mofome

Banned

no way they are private. maybe private from the public, but not the mod's, or at least not across the street they aren't. if they were private i would never have been put on PR

If I say something is true here, its true here.

mofome

Banned

OK. Thanks Mo and Ball. It would be pretty shitty if mods on these forums were reading pms.

If a mod gives a rats ass about reading other peoples pms all day they should just turn on entertainment tv and get their drama fill there.

I know sbr has a feature that flags pms that contain key words. eog, rx, mofo, shrink, wilheim, sell things like that would come up and they would read them. seems fair enough, dont want people ghosting and promoting other sites on pm.

ballwonder

EOG Master

100 percent agree and I can assure you if that was the case I wouldnt be participating at any site that would be doing that.

If I say something is true here, its true here.

fair enough. i was just speaking of past experiences. i believe you would keep that private, and i know i keep all my stuff private.

mofome

Banned

fair enough. i was just speaking of past experiences. i believe you would keep that private, and i know i keep all my stuff private.

If someone asks a question it will be answered honestly. Aint no one perfect, but we can always be honest and do our best. If someone offered me $10000000 to try and read your pms right now I would be out of luck.

If someone asks a question it will be answered honestly. Aint no one perfect, but we can always be honest and do our best. If someone offered me $10000000 to try and read your pms right now I would be out of luck.

didn't mean to imply that's how you do things over here.

Blondie

EOG Master

atleast without saying they have that capability

The capabilities are out there in many forms.

Some sites have it set up so that keywords will be flagged, other sites give moderators the ability to log in as any poster, and on and on.

However, we rely on the posters to let us know when someone is soliciting via private message.

My theory is this.

If I can read someone else's pm's then someone else can read mine.

I would rather take a chance on having someone solicit than wonder if someone else besides the intended recipient is reading my private messages. (especially the PMS venting ones :hangt)

ballwonder

EOG Master

Some sites have it set up so that keywords will be flagged, other sites give moderators the ability to log in as any poster, and on and on.

However, we rely on the posters to let us know when someone is soliciting via private message.

My theory is this.

I would rather take a chance on having someone solicit than wonder if someone else besides the intended recipient is reading my private messages. (especially the PMS venting ones :hangt)[/quote]

These are bad man, really bad.

My theory is this.

I would rather take a chance on having someone solicit than wonder if someone else besides the intended recipient is reading my private messages. (especially the PMS venting ones :hangt)

That is not correct. You can set up the VB to have people have certain accesses. I personally don't think they are very private, but that is only my opinion. Been on the backside of a forum and know the VB's very well and can tell you that only the top techie at a forum can know what VB hacks are installed and what they do.

Blondie

EOG Master

I understand that STB

and I can still honestly say that we do not have this ability. :)

Apple

Banned

Proves what a piece of shit operation SBR is, they read PMs daily..

Timetopay

EOG Master

Damn youre fast.........I didnt bother to see fck face was joking around but that henny homo always is.

you say it aint being done i believe it aint being done.

end of story for me

12io4j2w90

mofome

Banned

That is not correct. You can set up the VB to have people have certain accesses. I personally don't think they are very private, but that is only my opinion. Been on the backside of a forum and know the VB's very well and can tell you that only the top techie at a forum can know what VB hacks are installed and what they do.

so then you think I am lying?

:+clueless

This is something I've been a little curious about.

Many moons ago I ran a forum that had private messages and I was able to read them by digging around in the site's files. I was able to access the files because I had total access to every file on the site and I was the one who installed the forum itself.

Moderators didn't have the ability to access anything except the moderator functions and so on, but the guy who actually owns the account(s) that the site is hosted on could see anything and everything he wants. The private messages files were not encrypted in a database, but instead they were buried various text files.

So, now I'm curious about it. I'm currently uploading a vBulletin 3.8.1 to a host and will poke around and see if I can read and PMs. Will report back..

mofome

Banned

Good people calling the mods liars.

:shoot:

Blondie

EOG Master

This is something I've been a little curious about.

Many moons ago I ran a forum that had private messages and I was able to read them by digging around in the site's files. I was able to access the files because I had total access to every file on the site and I was the one who installed the forum itself.

Moderators didn't have the ability to access anything except the moderator functions and so on, but the guy who actually owns the account(s) that the site is hosted on could see anything and everything he wants. The private messages files were not encrypted in a database, but instead they were buried various text files.

So, now I'm curious about it. I'm currently uploading a vBulletin 3.8.1 to a host and will poke around and see if I can read and PMs. Will report back..

I would not be surprised if it can be done that way however the only people with that kind of access would be myself, Shrink, and the techies. (that I know of)

I personally have no desire to go to that effort, Shrink can never remember the password to the superadmin account, and the techies could more than likely give a shit less who is pm ing who on this site.

I would not be surprised if it can be done that way however the only people with that kind of access would be myself, Shrink, and the techies. (that I know of)

I personally have no desire to go to that effort, Shrink can never remember the password to the superadmin account, and the techies could more than likely give a shit less who is pm ing who on this site.

Yeah, I hear you blondie. I don't mean to suggest anyone here would bother to read the files, but little puzzles like this catch my attention and I just have to know exactly how to do it. I consider it a proof of concept type challenge!

I said that is not true and I was SPEAKING TO BLONDIE. Where in this thread did I speak to MOFOME? WHERE???????? Not once did I say shit to Mo.

so then you think I am lying?

:+clueless

EXCUSE ME SIR. Where in the fuck did I say you were lying? WHERE? ANYWHERE? FUCKIN A. Even BLONDIE, BY THE WAY WHO I WAS SPEAKING TO, realized what I said was true. Her intelligence on the tech side is neck and neck with mine and she understands what I mean when I'm speaking about. UNLIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE.

Good people calling the mods liars.

:shoot:

Can you point me in the direction of these posters, cause I haven't seen any in this thread? Thank you for your time.

mofome

Banned

I said that is not true and I was SPEAKING TO BLONDIE. Where in this thread did I speak to MOFOME? WHERE???????? Not once did I say shit to Mo.

EXCUSE ME SIR. Where in the fuck did I say you were lying? WHERE? ANYWHERE? FUCKIN A. Even BLONDIE, BY THE WAY WHO I WAS SPEAKING TO, realized what I said was true. Her intelligence on the tech side is neck and neck with mine and she understands what I mean when I'm speaking about. UNLIKE SOME OTHER PEOPLE.

Can you point me in the direction of these posters, cause I haven't seen any in this thread? Thank you for your time.

Simmer yourself down, hot shot. You were told that no one reads the PMs. You then said that you dont think they are very private. End of story.

:thumbsup

IF YOUR AFRAID THERE NOT PRIVATE AND YOU WANT TO TELL

SOMEONE SOMETHING,EMAIL THEM12io4j2w90