My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Gamble judiciously.

Success in the sports betting arena is contingent on good judgment.

Learning from experience is important, researching relevant information is critical and projecting a team's performance in the context of its best and worst efforts is a must.

In the end, sports handicappers must weigh all variables and circumstances, then ultimately select the correct betting action.

It's all about making successful decisions.

Whether a gambler contemplates for days or places a wager in a split-second, the goal is to feel no regret about the bet.

When I'm at my best, the plays come leaping off the screen and I'm content with the outcome, win or lose.

My highest-yielding investments arrive from wagering decisions which are made quickly.

See the price and act accordingly.

Is the favorite priced too high or too low?

Is the total priced too high or too low?

Be aggressive with your bankroll when riding a winning streak and exercise caution during down times.

Sports betting is a streaky business and here's why: When gamblers are doing the right thing, winning begets winning.

Wagers are placed and winning opinions are confirmed in two or three hours with positive outcomes.

Think of a golfer or bowler or tennis player who gets in a groove with his or her mechanics.

Everything comes naturally, nothing is forced and positive results are achieved.

The confident gambler, armed with a sharp opinion, is able to outperform his fellow gamblers and the house advantage.

Beating fellow gamblers to attractive pointspreads is one of the keys to overcoming the house edge (4.54%) in the world of 11-10.

Alternatively, the struggling handicapper is unsure of his opinions and starts to second-guess every decision, especially the losing ones.

The gambler then fails to show poise, reduced to guessing between Team A or Team B, and displays panic when faced with a shrinking bankroll.

Don't be that guy.

ARMY STRONG: The best bet I made last week took place in the annual Army-Navy game.

Because I was late to the party when sports books opened the total at 44 and quickly adjusted downward to 40, I investigated markets other than the game total.

Missing key numbers of 41, 43 and 44 did not thrill me.

Over the last 12 meetings (now 13 and counting), the Army-Navy game failed to reach the posted total.

I was confident Army's improving defense would stone a Navy offense that struggled most of the season without a quality quarterback.

(Where have you gone, Keenan Reynolds?)

Army's defense was the only squad all season to hold Oklahoma to fewer than 30 points in a 28-21 overtime loss to the Sooners.

I wavered among three wagering options.

Betting Army on the money line (-250 or thereabouts) was the most probable winner, but I was worried by Navy's 14-game winning streak from 2002-2015.

I also considered betting Navy's team total under 16.5 (-110) though I feared a fluke touchdown with such a low number.

In hindsight, I should have let my hands go (a boxing term applicable to the gambling arena) and bet both of the above positions.

Instead, I passed on making a wager before kickoff, largely because of indecisiveness.

However, live wagering is always available on high-profile events and many times, it offers better opportunities for the shrewd observer.

Case in point: Army scored the game's first touchdown on a five-play, 82-yard drive that came less than three minutes into the contest.

The quick touchdown drive confirmed my pregame beliefs on Army's dominance and I wanted desperately to leverage my strong opinions on the game.

The in-game total was suddenly changed from 38.5 to 44.5, a six-point adjustment that looked unjustified for three reasons: 1) The favorite scored, 2) The first points of the game must be scored at some point and 3) The wiseguy money, which depressed the total from 44 to as low as 38 before kickoff, must be respected.

Much to my delight, the game flowed exactly as I thought.

A scoreless second quarter was followed by a third quarter that saw Army kick a field goal on its opening drive of the half, a drive which lasted more than eight minutes and gave the Black Knights a 10-0 lead heading into the final quarter.

Final score: Army 17 Navy 10, a result which did not thrill bookmakers who bounced above and below the key pointspread number of 7 throughout the week.

Arturo O'Connor, a veteran of the sports betting wars, declared the result "horrific" for the house.

O'Connor, whose Eye On Gaming screen name is Viejo Dinosaur, currently works for the respected sports book Grande, headquartered in the Dominican Republic.

On the subject of valued EOG contributors, allow me to give an assist on my successful in-game wager to Las Vegas-based sports bettor Alan Denkenson, who once told me the secret to finding value with in-game wagering.

Dink said, "You must be willing to bet AGAINST what just happened in the game."

MONDAY'S BEST BET....Play 529 Miami Heat +6.5 (-110) over the Los Angeles Lakers.

Spoelstra over Walton.

A quick rematch for the Heat after losing at home to the Lakers, 113-97, on November 18.

Dwyane Wade and Goran Dragic did not play in the 16-point home loss.

LeBron went off for 51 points in his return to American Airlines Arena.

Both teams will be playing short-handed with Miami's Hassan Whiteside and possibly Josh Richardson to miss the game while Brandon Ingram is still nursing a sprained ankle for Los Angeles.

The Lakers ship in from Memphis after a Saturday night game.

The Heat played the Clippers at Staples Center on Saturday night and posted an impressive 23-point win over their listless hosts.

Miami's crafty point guard Goran Dragic (rest) sat out Saturday night's game but he should be available tonight.

Miami is essentially playing a road game with no travel.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Great analysis of a gambler JK on what should and should not be done....

What a bad bet on the total of the Army/Navy game I made...I saw the 39.5 and I instantly went with the over without blinking....tough for me to see a college game so low and pass....

Not a big fan of trends, but they sure have to be respected....just look at the NE/Miami game yesterday..NE seems to have trouble in Miami every year....

Researching relevant information.......as JK wisely said is important.....

FISHHEAD

EOG Master
COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

BAINES in the HOF and DWIGHT EVANS off the ballot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPS- EVANS .840 BAINES .820

HR'S EVANS 385 BAINES 384

RUNS EVANS 1470 BAINES 1299

EVANS EIGHT GOLD GLOVES and one of the greatest defensive right-fielders of ALLTIME!!

BAINES majority of games played as a DH

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Good write up JK.....from the bowling perspective, I can vouch for what you're saying, when you get into a zone, you can do no wrong!

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Good write up JK.....from the bowling perspective, I can vouch for what you're saying, when you get into a zone, you can do no wrong!

+1.

I was the dictionary definition of a "streak shooter" in my basketball playing days.

Some hardcore math guys in the sports betting world claim that the whole concept of "hot and cold" is a myth, and that it all can be attributed to variance.

While that certainly holds true with regard to most gambling concepts, IMHO it does not when it comes to betting on outcomes of games played by human beings.

I remember the hot streaks... I knew the ball was going in BEFORE it left my hand.

And the cold... well, yeah, LOL,

Sounds like mrbowling300 can relate.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I bet I was one of the very few that had over 39.5 and 41.....lol

Just a very bad wager...

It happens.

The more you play, the more it happens.

High-volume guys are going to run into plenty of dead sides.

Army threw the fewest passes of any college football team this season.

Feels like the clock never stops when they have the ball.

Hard to believe, Army held the ball for more than 44 minutes in its near-upset of Oklahoma.

Studying the Army-Houston bowl game now.

Right now, it's Army -3 or pass.

The total at 67 is interesting.

It's the highest total in an Army game this season.

Houston's star defensive player Ed Oliver will not be playing, nor will starting quarterback D'Eriq King who is out with a season-ending injury suffered against Tulane.

Researching Houston freshman quarterback Clayton Tune right now.

Army doesn't beat itself.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!

BAINES in the HOF and DWIGHT EVANS off the ballot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OPS- EVANS .840 BAINES .820

HR'S EVANS 385 BAINES 384

RUNS EVANS 1470 BAINES 1299

EVANS EIGHT GOLD GLOVES and one of the greatest defensive right-fielders of ALLTIME!!

BAINES majority of games played as a DH

Thanks for checking in, FISH.

Baines isn't a Hall-of-Famer in my book.

Nor is Evans.

I'd have a much tighter rein on who gets in and who doesn't.

Only the game's greats would make my Hall.

If there was any debate about induction, I would vote no.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Muscle memory sports lead to streaky performance.

Seems like when you get locked in, you can do no wrong, as you wrote.

Likewise, when your mechanics go sideways, you can struggle for a long time.

MLB pitcher Randy Johnson was a zero until he mastered his mechanics.

A lot of things went wrong for Johnson early in his career (7-13 with an ERA of 4.82 in 1989) because his unusual height messed with his ability to repeat his delivery.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
+1.

I was the dictionary definition of a "streak shooter" in my basketball playing days.

Some hardcore math guys in the sports betting world claim that the whole concept of "hot and cold" is a myth, and that it all can be attributed to variance.

While that certainly holds true with regard to most gambling concepts, IMHO it does not when it comes to betting on outcomes of games played by human beings.

I remember the hot streaks... I knew the ball was going in BEFORE it left my hand.

And the cold... well, yeah, LOL,

Sounds like mrbowling300 can relate.

Thanks for your input, EJD.

I don't believe in "hot dice" at the craps table but I do believe in performance cycles for athletes and race horses.

One angle I like to play in this regard is to BET AGAINST an underdog after a big effort.

Seems like those kind of teams have a hard time following up a huge performance.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Veterans Committee kissed in Baines.

The writers ignored him most years with his support among the writers peaking at 6.1%.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Just read that Jerry Reinsdorf was on the committee that elected Baines.

Reinsdorf lobbied other members of the committee ("Today's Game Era") to vote for Baines.

Red challenge flag thrown.

Valuist

EOG Master
Just read that Jerry Reinsdorf was on the committee that elected Baines.

Reinsdorf lobbied other members of the committee ("Today's Game Era") to vote for Baines.

Red challenge flag thrown.

Tony LaRussa was on the committee as well. While most think of LaRussa as a manager of the Cardinals and A's, he was Baines' manager the first 5 years or so of his career.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I saw that but failed to write it.

And something tells me former players Ozzie Smith and Joe Morgan backed Baines.

And if committee member Tim Kurkjian had his way, no player under consideration would ever get rejected.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I can’t recall a single standout moment for Baines or L Smith. They were both stat compilers to me. The D Evans exclusion really is mind boggling. He could win games with his bat and glove, and did for a very long time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for checking in, WACO.

Good news tonight at Staples Center: Josh Richardson, Miami's leading scorer, is now listed probable.

I don't mind Hassan Whiteside's absence.

Of course, no Brandon Ingram for the Lakers.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
ARMY'S Defense is no joke, giving up 18 points a game. They held Oklahoma scoreless in the 2nd half (lost in OT), and held Buffalo, who averages 36 a game, to 13 points.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ARMY'S Defense is no joke, giving up 18 points a game. They held Oklahoma scoreless in the 2nd half (lost in OT), and held Buffalo, who averages 36 a game, to 13 points.

Aided by Army's ball control offense, of course.

Handicappers need to consider the critical relationship between a team's offense and a team's defense.

Heim

EOG Master
MONDAY'S BEST BET....Play 529 Miami Heat +6.5 (-110) over the Los Angeles Lakers.

Good read on game. Questionable Richardson hit a big 3 late to help your cause. Nice to see UNLV product Derrick Jones contributing with 14 rebounds. Never thought he'd make it.

Screw Andrews

EOG Dedicated
Nice Monday read as usual......

Best advice in wagering....when you're winning stack up.....when you're losing back up.....