My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kobe Bryant's memorial service at Staples Center starts this morning at 10:00.

Vanessa Bryant, Kobe's widow, wisely labeled the tribute "A Celebration of Life."

How else can you deal with the loss of a 41-year-old father of four, all daughters, who served as an inspiration to people around the world?

I feel for every person suffering from Kobe's sudden passing, except for Shaquille O'Neal.

In the wake of Kobe's death, the immature O'Neal has commanded others to better communicate with those you love.

Shaq's words ring hollow and obviously arrive too late.

His last conversation with Kobe came more than a year ago.

Shortly before the helicopter crash in Calabasas, Kobe exchanged text messages with O'Neal's pair of basketball-playing sons, Shareef and Shaqir, inviting them to train their bodies and improve their games at Mamba Sports Academy.

Ironically, Kobe had delivered a similar invitation to Papa Shaq about 20 years earlier.

O'Neal never accepted the invitation.

Kobe ended his NBA career with five championship titles and Shaq ultimately earned four rings, but O'Neal recently claimed, "If we had stayed together, we could have won 10 rings."

Shaq should revisit history to uncover the real truth.

Here's what a sober Shaquille O'Neal would have said and should have said, "Had I been as mature and dedicated and hard-working and competitive as Kobe Bryant, then we could have won 10 championship rings."

It was Shaq who disqualified himself from basketball glory by not staying true to his craft and instead labeling Kobe a "ball hog."

Shaq will continue to hurt emotionally until he undergoes an honest self-evaluation of his life and career.

After all, there's a reason Shaq competed for six NBA teams over 19 seasons while Kobe was a fan favorite during his entire 20-year career in a Laker uniform.

MY BATTLE CRY.....Tell me something I don't already know.

It's one of my favorite appeals to fellow gamblers, especially sports bettors with whom I'm meeting for the first time.

Eye On Gaming contributor MACAU delivered a pair of memorable lines, one from a gambler's perspective and the other from the standpoint of an experienced bookmaker.

MACAU is a no-nonsense gambler with connections to Bet365 who recently discussed his thoughts at a coffee shop near his home in Escazú Village.

MACAU said, "Too many gamblers bet into hard numbers."

As he continued to explain his theory, I avoided eye contact with MACAU, not wanting to get whistled for the foul.

"With the exception of injury information or dramatic changes in weather, do you really want to bet an NFL game in the minutes before kickoff?"

The Irish-bred MACAU also sounded the alarm for free-wheeling bookmakers, "Stop accepting limit wagers from your newest accounts on hard-to-price player propositions."

MACAU divulged, "The accounts may be new but the players behind the accounts are old pros."

ATHLETIC TIP.....It's my favorite piece of sporting advice at football, basketball, soccer and hockey arenas.

You are never more open than when you first catch the ball.

Sounds simple but you'd be surprised how many professional athletes violate this basic principle.

There's the NFL quarterback who holds the ball too long or the back-to-the-basket power forward who is a ball-stopper or the soccer player or hockey star who dominates the ball or puck.

Catch the ball or control the ball and be ready to act instantly.

Too many athletes, especially recreational ones, hesitate before they act and then it's too late.

YO-LEVEN.....The box score for last Saturday's college basketball game between Cal Baptist and lowly Chicago State at Jones Convocation Center listed an attendance mark of 368.

That's NOT the paid attendance.

I attended a men's basketball game last season at Chicago State and counted about 125 people in the stands, including former NBA player and New Mexico State alum Randy Brown.

NMSU defeated Chicago State, 92-58, as a 24.5-point road favorite.

The official NCAA box score, however, showed an attendance figure of 555 in an arena that holds 7,000.

Why the discrepancy?

No matter the official explanation -- distributed tickets versus paid tickets -- the state-funded school wants to avoid the embarrassment of a failed basketball program.

I don't blame them for being embarrassed.

But where's the integrity and transparency?

Illinois taxpayers deserve to see the balance sheet of an athletic department at a publicly-funded university.

And sports fans everywhere deserve player information that includes injury updates, academic progress reports and accurate height/weight measurements.

Little white lies mushroom into dark scandalous secrets like academic fraud or recruiting violations or possibly even point-spread manipulation.

Two simple questions: Why are the Cougars a full-fledged member of Division I basketball and why does Chicago State, located on the far south side of the city, compete in the Western Athletic Conference?

And a better question: Why did Illinois legislators earmark $7 million last November to fix repairs at the Jones Convocation Center, home of the Chicago State Cougars?

It's time to pull the plug on the struggling basketball program and not because the team has lost 29 straight conference games and the Cougars are 2-60 in WAC play over the past five seasons.

The primary reason to abolish the program came straight from the mouth of head basketball coach Lance Irvin.

In Saturday's 95-53 loss to Cal Baptist, CSU center Solomon Hunt scored a team-high 11 points, matching the total number of fans who paid for admission to watch the beatdown.

Eleven points for your leading scorer and 11 paying customers at the turnstile.

You can't make it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: E$

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Good stuff as always, JK.

This is a little personal, so forgive me it's too much..

Any regrets? I know a little of your background from reading various threads throughout the years.

Degree in English right? Or was it journalism?

Said screw it (kinda) and followed what you loved. Born gambler.

Now here we are years later. Still grinding. Any regrets?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Not at all, Sol.

I enjoy the gambling lifestyle and truly respect those who are able to earn a living without punching a clock or sucking up to a boss.

Like most of us, I've ridden the gambling roller-coaster, the ups and downs and everything in between.

If only I could win long-term...that's the dream.

Years ago, I remember asking a 90-year-old horseplayer at a Las Vegas race book, "Are you winning?"

He responded, "Not yet."

I later chuckled at the answer because it implied he had hope he might score sometime later in the day.

In truth, he was winning at age 90 because he was in the Gold Coast race book when most of his friends were six feet under.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Not at all, Sol.

I enjoy the gambling lifestyle and truly respect those who are able to earn a living without punching a clock or sucking up to a boss.

Like most of us, I've ridden the gambling roller-coaster, the ups and downs and everything in between.

If only I could win long-term...that's the dream.

Years ago, I remember asking a 90-year-old horseplayer at a Las Vegas race book, "Are you winning?"

He responded, "Not yet."

I later chuckled at the answer because it implied he had hope he might score sometime later in the day.

In truth, he was winning at age 90 because he was in the Gold Coast race book when most of his friends were six feet under.

Life is full of lessons. For us gamblers, we all could write a book about how many lessons we have learned. And most of them were the hard way. Where it hits you the hardest.

I learned mine early on. I know the game of football better than 99% of the posting community. Of course, that doesn't translate to picking the right side of a sharp line...

But that doesn't mean I didn't try it. And felt the pain. A few times.

The trip to Vegas that stung the old pocket book the most... Early 2000's. I'm only into my teaching/coaching career a few years at this point. I think my teaching salary at the time was 30k. Plus another 2k coaching stipend. Which equals pennies if you calculate time put into practice, games, watching film, etc.

Go to Vegas with the wife. It's football weekend. We are at Mandalay Bay. I bring up 1k in cash. Which is obviously a lot to us at the time. Long story short, that 1k ended up being 3.5k when it was said and done.

Towards the end of the story, I chased with a 1k bet. Sunday night football. I loved the Colts. I knew it was the right side. I'm down there in the book ready to make the bet. Having a beer chatting with this old timer. He talks me into the Colts 1h. Ravens @ Colts. Sunday night football. Ray Lewis vs Manning. I go up to the window and put it down on Indy 1h.

Was obviously a disaster. Colts didn't cover the -4 or whatever it was 1h. They were down at the half. And of course what even stung more? Indy blitzed them in the 2h. Won the game and easily covered the game spread.

That was a fun 4.5 hour drive back to PHX the next day. Knowing you just pissed away more than 10% of the annual income in 2 days.

I know football. I'm a football coach. And a damn good one. But it doesn't translate to the betting window.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was smiling while reading your contribution.

Nothing more frustrating than switching from a winning full-game bet to a losing first-half bet and then watching in horror as your team rallies from behind in the second half.

Long, quiet car rides are the worst.

Thanks for sharing, Sol.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
If you have not met MACAU then you are missing out on some very valuable gambling stories and info that you can use in your gambling adventures...have had the pleasure of listening to his ideas on gambling and booking....

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I still like first H bets. Especially basketball underdogs.
That is a good strategy. I had Cent Conn St on Friday night for the game +8.5. They were leading by 6 at half, got outscored 39-21 in the 2H, and a loser.

So much truth about Shaq. Much of it being the biggest guy on the court, he felt that he didn't have to work on his game. The best players have the combo of talent and getting the most from it. Kobe's drive and determination far exceeded Shaq's.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I agree with both FW and SOB.

The clever, tactical underdog in the first half is a solid play.

They can compete on "smarts" for 20 minutes but get overwhelmed physically over 40 minutes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The memorial service just ended at Staples Center.

So well done.

Uplifting.

I especially enjoyed the speeches of Rob Pelinka and Gino Auriemma.

Crying Michael Jordan, not so much.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Nicholson turns 83 in April.

He's been missing from Laker games since the team went in the tank after Kobe and before LeBron.

The 17-65 record in the 2015-16 season and the 26-56 mark the following season did not sit well with Jack.

#FrontRunner

waco

EOG Dedicated
They interviewed Jack on the phone on a sports show after Kobe died and he told some good stories about Kobe but he isn't in the best of health

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for checking in, WACO.

Just read an excerpt from Shaq's book.

Shaq once told Kobe he was "going to kill him."

The threat came after Kobe ratted out Shaq to troublemaking reporter Jim Gray,.

Kobe claimed Shaq was fat and out-of-shape.

Fitting in the selfish sports world that championship teammates ended up bitter rivals while winning three straight championships.

blueline

EOG Master
Chicago St not going to play road gamea at Seattle or Utah Valley due to coronavirya concerns.
UMKC also not playings uts game @Seattle

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Chicago St not going to play road gamea at Seattle or Utah Valley due to coronavirya concerns.
UMKC also not playings uts game @Seattle

Hmmm....

I assumed the Chicago State athletic department was broke.

Will they travel west next week to compete in the WAC Tournament at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One piece of good news for Chicago State: The Western Athletic Conference will label these games as "no contests," not losses for Chicago State.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Whats the line on a game between Chicago State and the city of Chicago high school basketball champs?

Hmmm....

Good question.

I don't follow high school hoops in Chicago but I saw Simeon play two years ago and they had one kid (Talen Horton-Tucker) go to Iowa State and another (Xavier Pinson) who went to Missouri.

The problem with high school teams are the underclassmen.

The 15 and 16-year-olds would have a hard time competing against 21 or 22-year-olds.