Nicklaus says Sunday charge available to only a few at Augusta

dirty

EOG Master
Associated Press
Published on: 03/14/06 Jack Nicklaus understands why Augusta National keeps lengthening its golf course. His fear is that it keeps eliminating the number of players with a realistic chance of winning the Masters.
Twice in the last five years, Augusta National has significantly strengthened the golf course with hopes of keeping it current, making today's player use the same clubs as players in years past.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- BEGIN Clickability "Most Popular" links --> MOST POPULAR STORIES

<!-- END Clickability "Most Popular" links --></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=170 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=170 bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=148>[FONT=arial, helvetica]EMAIL THIS[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]PRINT THIS[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]MOST POPULAR[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->Nicklaus won his sixth green jacket 20 years ago, hitting 1-iron into the par-5 15th for an eagle, shooting 31 on the back nine and closing with a 65 for a one-shot victory over Greg Norman and Tom Kite. On Tuesday, he discussed the last of his 18 professional majors, and he was asked whether a back-nine charge was still possible.
"I know what Augusta is trying to do," Nicklaus said. "Whether they've gone overboard, I'm not sure. But they've eliminated a lot of guys who are able to do that. Could Tiger (Woods) do that? Or Ernie Els? Or Vijay (Singh)? Yes. Could Mike Weir or Jose Maria (Olazabal) ? one of those guys of moderate length ? could they do that? Probably not. That's the change at Augusta I have a hard time with."
Augusta National first revamped the course for the 2002 Masters, adding nearly 300 yards. Tiger Woods won his third Masters that year by three shots over Retief Goosen. This time, the club strengthened six holes. Among the biggest changes were the par-3 fourth, lengthened by 40 yards to 245 yards; and the par-4 seventh, which was lengthened by 40 yards and now is 450 yards.
Nicklaus didn't mind the change at No. 4, saying it was always a 2-, 3- or 4-iron shot, and that's likely the club that will be used at this year's Masters.
"But No. 7? Wow," Nicklaus said. "I had dinner with Ernie the other night, and he played 4-iron and 7-iron. A 4-iron into that green? Ernie Els? What is Mike Weir playing, a 4-wood? That's the issues I've got."
Nicklaus was the premier power player of his time, and Woods already has won four green jackets. But sprinkled among the list of champions are moderate hitters such as Nick Faldo, Ben Crenshaw, Bernhard Langer and Hogan.
"I love Augusta. Don't get me wrong," Nicklaus said. "All I want is for Augusta to be Augusta, because it's such a great tournament. But when you take a golf course and limit the number of people that have the ability to win ... Their intention is not to do that. But they're doing that."

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned
GOOD STORY DIRTY I ENJOYED IT.JACK IS RIGHT THE POWER GAME IS RUINING GOLF.THESE F-CKING GUYS SHOULD BE FORCED TO HIT THE SAME CLUBS THE OLD PROS HIT AT EACH MAJOR EVENT THE PERSIMMON WOODS.I LOOK AT MY OWN GAME I AM CRUSHING THE BALL THESE DAYS WITH MY KING COBRA 460 OFFSET DRIVER WITH A 47 INCH CUSTOM SHAFT.I REMEMBER MARK OMEARA WAS ON THE GOLF CHANNEL ONE NIGHT AND HE WAS SHOWING WHAT HE HIT TO WIN THE MASTERS BACK BEFORE METAL WOODS HE TOOK OUT THOD WOOD HEADED DRIVER AND SLICED IT RIGHT INTO THE WOODS HE COULDNT HIT IT AT ALL.HE EVEN SAID THAT THE METAL WOODS TODAY HAVE MADE GOLF A MUCH EASIER GAME GUYS DONT EVEN WORK ON DRIVING ANYMORE THEY JUST HAVE TO WORK ON THERE SHORT GAME.

IN ALL THE MAJORS 4 TOURNAMENTS MAKE THE PROS USE PERSIMMON WOODS THEN WE WILL ELIMINATE THE 340 YARD DRIVES.THIS WILL ALLOW ALL PLAYERS A CHANCE TO WIN INCLUDING COREY PAVIN.COREY STILL HAS SHORT GAME BUT HE IS A SMALL HITTER AVERAGING JUST OVER 262 YARDS ON HIS DRIVES HELL I CAN OUTDRIVE HIM

dirty

EOG Master
Very good Post Beaner......Exactly My point when I say that Tiger is not better than Jack....What could Jack have done with today's equipment in his prime...Would Tiger still be Great back when Jack played...yes..he would just have to get used to hitting Persimmon...But the Question is ......How good would Jack have been

Instead of Changing the Courses...I think the USGA has to step up and Institue Rules that Differ from the Rest of the Nation....Kinda Like Bases....The rules are played the same (for the most part) in bases except the Bats used (their is some other differences But you get my point).....The everyday or NCAA Golfer or whoever can use the New Souped up Clubs....But when you get to Any Professional Tour...the hooters, Nationwide, etc... You have to use the same stuff as the Pros on the PGA just like the minor leaguer's do in Bases...It is the only way to stop it.....If not every Course will be Obsolete as Land will run out where these courses are Built...

I Learned to play on Persimmon Woods and It was night and day on Metal....I have a Set on Taylor Made 200 series irons (as I don't play alot anymore) but I have the 560 Series Woods.....10 Degree loft with a 46" shaft....

Used to Pros didn't have Customized Clubs....Bending the heads and to cover up deficiencies in thier swings, etc......