Off Topic: Help with Yellow Jackets

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
No, this has nothing to do with Georgia Tech.
I bought a house a ways back. About six weeks ago, I noticed a very large Yellow Jackets' nest above the back door just under the roof.
I called every pest removal service within fifty miles (I live in possibly the most remote part of the country), and they said they were all booked up.
Then I bought the spray, but it didn't seem to work coupled with not being able to get close enough to the nest. Then I tried a store bought trap baited with chicken and a banana peel. Still not working.
Can anyone help?

kane

EOG master
My advice would be to stay away from your back door, and wait until you can get a professional to take care of it, I wouldn't be messing around with a hornets nest

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
Had a Wasp problem,a nest under the back porch. Was told to mix a soap detergent(like dawn or tide) with water and soak the nest. Also told to do it at night because they don't see and react at night. The soap I was told would kill them by peeling their skin. I used a big plastic pale,,protected myself with heavy clothes and jacket, and splashed the mixture as far away as I could while getting the nest,and ran like hell.

Last edited:

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
My advice would be to stay away from your back door, and wait until you can get a professional to take care of it, I wouldn't be messing around with a hornets nest
Yeah, but that's off the table. By the time they could even come out, it'll be winter, and the problem will be gone.
Also, Sue the Dog could stung, and that's unacceptable.

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Had a Wasp problem,a nest under the back porch. Was told to mix a soap detergent(like dawn or tide) with water and soak the nest. Also told to do it at night because they don't see and react at night. The soap I was told would kill them by peeling their skin. I used a big plastic pale,,protected myself with heavy clothes and jacket, and splashed the mixture as far away as I could while getting the nest,and ran like hell.

I'll try anything at this point. Thanks.

howid

EOG Dedicated
best way is to wait until night so they're all present and accounted for and spray Raid, empty the can.

if any are still there afterwards, wait until the next night and do it again, they will all be gassed eventually.

forget about the liquid detergent, they recover from it in no time.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Hey Bozo- stick your head in there and get a better look. JK move this shit, has nothing to do with sports. Poor guy just wants some attention. Where does it end?

I used a pole saw and attached a can of spray with hose clamps and used the pulley system to trigger the spray.Worked like a charm

railbird

EOG Master
I used a pole saw and attached a can of spray with hose clamps and used the pulley system to trigger the spray.Worked like a charm
yes i did it that way too similar. can of pesticide from home depot, use gardening gloves and a leather jacket just in case a rouge one escapes the pesticide foam.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
best way is to wait until night so they're all present and accounted for and spray Raid, empty the can.

if any are still there afterwards, wait until the next night and do it again, they will all be gassed eventually.

forget about the liquid detergent, they recover from it in no time.
doing this dusk or later is the key.