OFF TOPIC: If You Have $3000 To Spend On A Plasma TV Which Is The Best?

I was wondering too, after seeing the wall mounted flat screen at the JW Marriott (MIAmi), the wifey is begging me to get one.

MCP said:
get a DLP

do you know how much raidation the plasmas give off???

Very Funny

Not sure but I believe I am immune to radiation now :rolleyes:

Are the DLPs thin and can be hung on the wall?

G

MCP

they are thin...but i havent seen one u can hang on the wall.. they take up little space so i dont see the difference unless you just are doing it for looks and so you can say "i have a plasma"

BTW, I'm not joking about the radiation.. do a search on it.. it is bad.

5teamparlay said:
I was also wondering how hard these TV's are to mount on the wall?

I saw the wall mounting kit and its about $150 and looks fairly easy to do. Probably need a stud finder and a drill along with a level.

peteep

EOG Addicted
If you only have $3000 to spend, get DLP or LCD. A top quality plasma is gonna run more than that.

PSUONE

EOG Veteran
It looks like they have a 40 Sony for around $3k.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=prodinfo_pic1 vAlign=top> </TD><TD class=prodinfo_content vAlign=top>Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-V40XBR1 40" LCD TV

(16:9, 1366x768, HDTV - SKU: KDLV40XBR1) Price Range: $2,448.00 - $3,499.99 from 27 Sellers
Description: With so many unknown companies struggling to claim a piece of the flat-panel TV business, rest assured that you can still count on advanced design and superior picture quality from Sony's XBR TVs. And the 40" KDL-V40XBR1 is Sony's top-of-th.... Read More
Description: With so many unknown companies struggling to claim a piece of the flat-panel TV business, rest assured that you can still count on advanced design and superior picture quality from Sony's XBR TVs. And the 40" KDL-V40XBR1 is Sony's top-of-the-line flat-panel LCD HDTV. This screen's high resolution gives images lifelike clarity and detail. This is also one of Sony's first LCDs to employ a "wide color gamut" backlight. It delivers more natural skin tones and more accurate overall color. The effortless beauty of high-definition pictures is addictive, but since we don't live in a 24/7 HDTV world yet, you'll probably still be watching some regular (non-HD) programs for at least the following few years. Sony's powerful Wega Engine digital video processing circuitry "upconverts" standard signals for a smoother, more natural look. The future-ready set of audio/video connections includes HD-compatible component video and HDMI for your advanced video gear, plus a standard computer input. A high-speed USB input gives you an easy way to connect your digital camera for a brilliant slideshow. Sony's streamlined Wega Gate on-screen menu system provides easy access to the most-used features and adjustments. Minimize

</TD><TD class=prodinfo_community>User Reviews
(17 Reviews)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

New (27 Sellers from $2,448.00) </SPAN>
<!-- Price Comparison Header --><!-- END Price Comparison Header --><!-- BEGIN MAIN PRICING TABLE --><TABLE class=price_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=price_table_head><TD> </TD><TD class=pt_ah>Seller</TD><TD>Price</TD><TD>Tax & Shipping</TD><TD>Availability</TD><TD class=pt_bh>Seller Rating</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,999.00</TD><TD vAlign=top rowSpan=28><FORM action=http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/cookie_zip.php><INPUT type=hidden value=11657781 name=masterid><INPUT type=hidden name=prsrt><INPUT type=hidden name=blsrt><INPUT type=hidden name=pid><INPUT type=hidden value=n name=qlty> <INPUT maxLength=5 size=8 name=form_zip_code> <INPUT type=submit value=Go>(Enter Zip Code)

</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
3456 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,999.00</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
20 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,499.99</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
1731 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,794.95</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
417 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,795.00</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
440 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$3,499.99</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
826 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,580.00</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
4972 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,888.00</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
3876 Reviews</TD></TR><TR><TD class=pt_shop></TD><TD class=pt_a>
Merchant Info </TD><TD>$2,749.00</TD><TD>In Stock</TD><TD class=pt_b>
3792 Reviews</TD></TR></FORM></TBODY></TABLE>

1) The picture quality lessening over the years it totally overblown. By the time you put enough hours on this thing for the picture to start suffering it will be 2020 and you'll have some new technology :)

2) www.cnet.com

I see far too many people just buying these TV's off of size and what's available in the store. Take a few hours and do the research and get one with excellent picture quality. My buddy just bought a $2000 HD set and the picture looks like absolute crap. All "HD's" aren't the same. Go to CNET.com and look at the highest rated ones to see which ones truly give you the best picture.

Slight Favorite

EOG Addicted
LCD or DLP, just because they are less susceptible to burned-in images. Some of the manufacturers are addressing this issue with the newer plasmas but it won't happen to the others.

pags11

EOG Dedicated
as slight favorite points out, there are some problems with plasmas (especially at high altitudes)...I went with a 56 inch Panasonic LCD Flatscreen...I have it at work for all of my customers (and for us..lol)...I think I go the floor model for $2300 before tax, it was listed at about $2900 at the time I got it...

If you're going to buy a plasma, take into account the TRANSPORTATION issue. Plasmas have to be moved sitting straight up when being moved...if they aren't, the plasma will shift or something and the TV will be ruined.

I'm sure you can get movers to do it for you, but if you plan on moving or anything, it's definitely something to consider.

I'd personally go with a LCD(got one a few months ago, absolutely love it)...but if you want a bigger TV, go with a DLP.

kelp0027

EOG Dedicated

..i thought plasmas did not handle the movement of baseballs very well: blurring; and to some extent footballs..

just what i heard..

gl

:+thumbs-2

If I had $3000 to spend on a TV I would put it all on the 76ers today...

Then I would have $5700 to spend on a TV :D

Brock

EOG Dedicated
I hered the life of a plsma TV is five or six years.
Just some thing I hered don't know for sure. With
your money that shoud be no big deal.