OT: Car accidents

mofome

Banned
Who here has been in one? Your fault?

Many people here make fun of the fact that I don't drive. When I was 10 I was in a very bad car accident with my mom. It was her fault, she just smashed into the back of someone else, she still has nerve damage to her back from it, and i banged up my head pretty badly.

About 5 years later my girlfriend in hs killed someone in a car accident. She was on her way to school, stopped paying attention, and crashed into someone. She ended up dropping out and her life was never the same, much less were the lives of everyone in that family.

The accident today was shocking to hear at first, but we all know these things happen a lot. That kind of power is the reason I can't stand driving; These reasons I have mentioned.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere
Re: OT: Car accidents

Been in several. Couple of minor ones...someone slid through a 4 way stop on ice and hit my door. Had someone do a lanechange into my drivers door another time.

Ran out of gas on the interstate...removed the gas cap to see if I could get something to drop down enough to make it half a mile to the gas station, heard a noise so dove back in the car as the chevy stepside hit the back of my car and went down the side taking off the drivers side door. Broken ribs from diving onto the shifter knob.

My buds and I were all drunk and decided to go out to some country roads. Had the only sober one drive my lifted blazer, he swerved for a rabbit at 45 and started fish tailing...went sideways off the gravel road and took a nose dive into an embankment. Broken wrist from bracing myself.

Rolled my mustang at 110 when drunk. 5 inch gash down right leg from e-brake ripping it open.

Haven't been in one for about 4 years though.

texansfan

EOG Master

I'd say that the biggest percentage of auto accidents would be "driver inattention." People doing anything and everything but paying attention to driving.

diogee

I'd say that the biggest percentage of auto accidents would be "driver inattention." People doing anything and everything but paying attention to driving.
Very true...people always texting, talking on the phone, messing with radio, looking through cd's, zoned out making plans for the day, or reaching for something on the floor or backseat.

I was in 3-4 all minor ones. The most important factor is speed. If u are going 25 mph and actually realize something is gonna happen and hit the brakes then on impact u are going 10 or so and it's laughable at the impact.

Also been in one 70 mph on the highway when a tractor trailer cut me off. But i realize it and braked. So he only clipped the front end of my car. If he squashed my whole car into the guard rail, i might not be here 2day.

My bud diatchi spaces out at the wheel all the time. And laughs about spacing out like it's funny. When i get the call saying he's in the hospital from accidents i will be 0% surprised

Very true...people always texting, talking on the phone, messing with radio, looking through cd's, zoned out making plans for the day, or reaching for something on the floor or backseat.

I have yet to see a lady without being on the phone. They seem to be more likely to get in the fender benders for being on the phone and shit.

Some lady hit my car in the fucking parking lot when it was parked :doh1

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Haven't been in 1 yet, but I've avoided several. I consider myself a good driver, strictly because I have a fear of driving. I remain focused because of that fear. I don't want my life to end in a car.

texansfan

EOG Master

Here's something that a lot of people don't know.

If someone is going to hit you it's almost better to let them. You cannot avoid an accident and then proceed to cause one, you will be found at fault the majority of times.

I've always found that strange since it's a natural reaction to try and avoid an accident.

It's almost impossible to not get into an accident every 10-15 years, if you drive much.

I didn't know you didn't drive, Mo !

kid44

EOG Dedicated

From someone that pulls 10,000lbs behind them daily for work you have to be DEFENSIVE. Expect the unexpected. Driving is a privilege and way to many people in this cyber world are inattentive. Look at cars that pass you going the other way and count how many are on the phone. 6 out of 10 is my average.

If in rush time look how many drastic moves people make to get 3 cars ahead. Does not make sense to me. Better safe than sorry.

Its only logic.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I avoided a bad accident once, and ever since that day I've always done whatever I could to stay attentive while driving. I was going 45 on a busy street by my house and the guy next to me just started switching lanes while I was in the next one. I swerved up into the gas station and out the other exit to avoid him. Scary, scary scary shit.

Here's something that a lot of people don't know.

If someone is going to hit you it's almost better to let them. You cannot avoid an accident and then proceed to cause one, you will be found at fault the majority of times.

I've always found that strange since it's a natural reaction to try and avoid an accident.

makes sense, unless you are on a motorcycle.

texansfan

EOG Master

I would never ride a motorcycle here in Houston, way too many cars and people that aren't paying attention. Plus, it's too damn hot in the summer.

mofome

Banned

It's almost impossible to not get into an accident every 10-15 years, if you drive much.

I didn't know you didn't drive, Mo !

I have driven many times, but almost always out of necessity. taking mom to the hospital or picking up drunk friends who i couldnt let drive.

From someone that pulls 10,000lbs behind them daily for work you have to be DEFENSIVE. Expect the unexpected. Driving is a privilege and way to many people in this cyber world are inattentive. Look at cars that pass you going the other way and count how many are on the phone. 6 out of 10 is my average.

If in rush time look how many drastic moves people make to get 3 cars ahead. Does not make sense to me. Better safe than sorry.

Its only logic.

yeah, i don't do phone talks anymore. Sometimes i would be on the phone and wouldn't remember my last 5 min of driving. If something ran out in front of me, i wouldn't be attentive enough to stop since i was concentrating on phones

Blondie

EOG Master

Worst one was when I was 18. I was driving along a country road on the way to college. As I went around a sharp curve, a UPS truck came around approaching me. I swerved to miss him, caught on loose gravel, and went airborne off the side of the road.

I then landed, rolled three times, once over a guard rail that had already been hit a few weeks before.

Walked away that day with minor scratches... ( I would have went to school with broken bones if I had to considering the other option was going home with my dad :hung)

Two days later I could barely move as I had messed up my lower back :(

diogee

Back injuries are the worst...was out drinking and being retarded one night shooting jack rabbits with the .22, back window on the friends Bronco rolled down so I was shooting from the roof. Gun jammed up so I wasn't bracing myself and my bud swerved the miss a rock and over the tailgate I went. Landed on my neck and tweaked my back...living hell for the next few weeks any time I would move. Had to lift my legs with my hands to get out of the car. :hangt

diogee

Used to back in the days of high school. Not a whole lot to do in Wyo as a youngster...surprising the amount of ladies that like to go out drinking and shoot shit.

texansfan

EOG Master

Used to back in the days of high school. Not a whole lot to do in Wyo as a youngster...surprising the amount of ladies that like to go out drinking and shoot shit.

The ladies in Wyoming like to shoot at shit? Strange...

Smoke a joint instead of leaning over to hit that bong. :thumbsup

they were weird ass accidents too...

my first was like a week after i got my car...went to autozone w/ a buddy to get some crap for my car and it was kinda dark out...when we were pulling out of the parking lot he was following me and i drove over this curb (it looked like the curb wasnt even there and you could drive straight through to this gas station)...i roll over the curb and natural instinct makes me throw it in reverse real fast to get back over it...turns out my buddy boxed me in and i backed into him

my second was on the way to school...we use to all meet up before and go get breakfast and all that crap...one day it was rainy and we were like 6 cars deep and i was the caboose...the dude in the front was changing cd's and didnt see a car turning so he swerved out of the way and everybody else slammed on their breaks...turns out my brakes werent as great as everybody elses!

the 3rd was legit though...i was turning left from a neighborhood on a busy 6 lane road which took forever...i kept looking both ways for like 5 mins and no openings so i waited until there was an opening in the lanes closest to me and gunned it...turns out another guy was turning left into the neighborhood and pulled into the turning lane right when the gap came open

pass me the J!

diogee

The ladies in Wyoming like to shoot at shit? Strange...
Yeah quite a few of them do...a lot of others just go along for the off-roading and drinking. Strange bunch of people we are in Wyoming.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Worst one was when I was 18. I was driving along a country road on the way to college. As I went around a sharp curve, a UPS truck came around approaching me. I swerved to miss him, caught on loose gravel, and went airborne off the side of the road.

I then landed, rolled three times, once over a guard rail that had already been hit a few weeks before.

Walked away that day with minor scratches... ( I would have went to school with broken bones if I had to considering the other option was going home with my dad :hung)

Women drivers... You forgot the part about you were putting makeup on and writing a letter to your friend (didn't have phones back then)

:+textinb3

Hope your back got better. Back problems are no joke.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The only car crash i was in where i actually got physically jarred was like 20 years ago. i was leaving the parking lot of a racetrack in Florida when an old man in a renta car T boned me. It happened so quick i don't even know if it was totally his fault or totally my fault. Anyway, they had this scam thing going on and a young kid who worked for a towing company was there in a jiffy. He came up to me...looked at me and saw that i was a young guy just like him....then he saw the old man and said to me "dont worry i'll take care of you". Anyway, he told the cop that it was the old man's fault (as the cop was writing down everything he said. I was thinking, "man, this must be some kind of insurance kick back thingy going on here...i was just glad the guy was on my side with this one, if he wanted to side with the old guy, i coulda been fucked"

The bright light of the story was that the car i was driving was a car that was purchased 3 years earlier for 2,500. I literally put 30000+ miles on that baby and when the insurance got done with it, they appraised the car at 3500! So, the guy's insurance company gave us a grand more than what we originally paid for it and i got to drive the thing around for 3 years. Can't beat that.

I think my head hit the roof and the car spun a 180, but didn't flip over. Nothing serious, i wasn't hospitalized or anything, just kind of got away with being shaken up.

texansfan

EOG Master

I'm not so sure that would work in most accidents today. You can tell by looking at the car, skid marks (if any), and other factors to determine whose usually at fault.

It drives me crazy when cars get into a little fender bender and they leave their vehicles in the street blocking traffic. If the vehicles are driveable move the damn things.

These insurance scams they have going on today usually have both drivers involved.

Mo, I barely ever drive. Just to work and back, really. I get HORRIBLE driving anxiety to the point where I've had to pull over for fear I was going to pass out. People make fun of me too. :+comfort+

My mom crashes cars like it's her job. Poor thing. Somehow it always ends up being faulted to her even though there was nothing she could do.

I've been in a couple with her. One really bad one (Mom was pretty messed up, but I was fine) and one that was pretty scary, but the guy just got out of his car, yelled for a minute and drove away. That was fine by us...she hit him.

I've been in at least a dozen accidents, but only two while I was driving. Both of those were just fender benders. One was my fault, the other one wasn't.

I lost a friend in an accident. Another friend killed someone and spent a year in jail. My current BF told me a terrible story about flipping one of his cars going 80 in the rain because the crazy bitch he was dating told him to slow down but he didn't listen, so she screamed "Oh, so you have a death wish?" and yanked the wheel. Her friend in the back seat was pretty hurt. Lucky for me, he made it out without any major injuries.

So yeah, car accidents are a big fear of mine...but it doesn't stop me from driving like a total asshole when I'm behind the wheel. It's kill or be killed around here...which is why I make my BF drive me everywhere.

Anywho, I'm terrified of driving. RI, MA and CT drivers are the WORST.

Oh and I swear one of these days I'm gonna put my foot through someone's floor while pumping my "passenger break". Driving like an asshole has always been a deal-breaker for me in relationships. Even my current BF was close to getting the boot when we first started dating.

J

joeybagadonuts

Who here has been in one? Your fault?

Many people here make fun of the fact that I don't drive. When I was 10 I was in a very bad car accident with my mom. It was her fault, she just smashed into the back of someone else, she still has nerve damage to her back from it, and i banged up my head pretty badly.

About 5 years later my girlfriend in hs killed someone in a car accident. She was on her way to school, stopped paying attention, and crashed into someone. She ended up dropping out and her life was never the same, much less were the lives of everyone in that family.

The accident today was shocking to hear at first, but we all know these things happen a lot. That kind of power is the reason I can't stand driving; These reasons I have mentioned.

Mo,

I know the feeling. I myself did not get my drivers license till I was 18 due to an accident that I got into as a young child.

When I was about 10, my sister, 8, and my brother 5, we were all in one of my dad's work trucks ( old bench seat chevy) coming back from breakfast. My dad attempts to take a left at a semi-blind corner that has a light. He waits till the light turns red, and starts to turn. A guy plowed through the red light and sent us spinning and flipped the truck on it's side. Everyone in my family escaped with minor injuries but I feared driving a long period of time. The paramedics were in shock that none of hurts were seriously hurt/dead. Luckily we live in a small community where peopled stopped and helped us and got the guys license plate (he was drunk and fled the scene)

I still avoid that corner to this day and I happen to live a few blocks from it.

Once I did get my license I got an SUV to feel safe, after a few years of driving on my own, I finally became comfortable and eventually starting really enjoying driving. When I turned 25 I decided to buy my first sports car (500 SL Mercedes with an AMG kit for car people). I drove it 130+mph and started really getting a rush out of driving fast, about a month after I got the car, I got hit, in the rain, on the freeway and basically totaled the car, I got a serious concussion and was in the hospital from my head hitting the windshield (my own fault for not wearing my seat belt.

Needless to say, I do NOT drive fast, nor crazy anymore as I realized I survived 2 accidents that I probably should have died in. I also refuse to drive with people who do not pay attention when they drive or are asian.

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

If you can get by without a car- GREAT- I envy people that can walk almost any where they need to go. Fucking terrible expense.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Oh and I swear one of these days I'm gonna put my foot through someone's floor while pumping my "passenger break". Driving like an asshole has always been a deal-breaker for me in relationships. Even my current BF was close to getting the boot when we first started dating.

you always been more of the backseat type of girl then the drivers seat:finger004

Mo,

I know the feeling. I myself did not get my drivers license till I was 18 due to an accident that I got into as a young child.

When I was about 10, my sister, 8, and my brother 5, we were all in one of my dad's work trucks ( old bench seat chevy) coming back from breakfast. My dad attempts to take a left at a semi-blind corner that has a light. He waits till the light turns red, and starts to turn. A guy plowed through the red light and sent us spinning and flipped the truck on it's side. Everyone in my family escaped with minor injuries but I feared driving a long period of time. The paramedics were in shock that none of hurts were seriously hurt/dead. Luckily we live in a small community where peopled stopped and helped us and got the guys license plate (he was drunk and fled the scene)

I still avoid that corner to this day and I happen to live a few blocks from it.

Once I did get my license I got an SUV to feel safe, after a few years of driving on my own, I finally became comfortable and eventually starting really enjoying driving. When I turned 25 I decided to buy my first sports car (500 SL Mercedes with an AMG kit for car people). I drove it 130+mph and started really getting a rush out of driving fast, about a month after I got the car, I got hit, in the rain, on the freeway and basically totaled the car, I got a serious concussion and was in the hospital from my head hitting the windshield (my own fault for not wearing my seat belt.

Needless to say, I do NOT drive fast, nor crazy anymore as I realized I survived 2 accidents that I probably should have died in. I also refuse to drive with people who do not pay attention when they drive or are asian.

I got a trans am with a 350 cubic inch V8 small block

Not even sure if i went over 100 in it. With the people on the highway who cut ya off or go 2 mph in the passing lane. Going that fast reaction time is cut way too short. Not to mention getting clocked at 100+ by the cops isn't a good thing.

The rush is good. But sometimes common sense is >