Should the Pats trade Brady?

I mean this Cassel kid has done a very nice job this season. They are already saying Brady might not be ready for next season and who knows how he will come back after the injury. You could fprob get two 1st round draft picks, a 3rd round and a back up QB as well as get younger.

They were debating this on ESPN, and it caught my eye. Billy B can win with anybody, and Cassel's devlopement is only going to get better each year. They could use those picks to get younger on defense. . .

Cassel is a free agent and if they franchised him they would be paying him 16 million to sit on the bench. So you can't keep both, and w/ all those complications coming w/ brady surgery, who know's how he will respond.

Its not that crazy to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

pioneer

EOG Dedicated
Re: should the pats trade brady?

I heard the same discussion on Mike and Mike this AM(actually Kuselias and Smith) and it makes sense if the Pats can get 2 first round draft picks for Brady.

Apple

Banned

Whats up my man, glad to see you here.. I think there is no chance Brady will be traded.

mofome

Banned

I should say, it depends on what you can get. I think the pats can win with just about anyone. Collins could put up huge numbers with the Pats. Their schemes are far ahead of the rest of the leagues.

I should say, it depends on what you can get. I think the pats can win with just about anyone. Collins could put up huge numbers with the Pats. Their schemes are far ahead of the rest of the leagues.

Does that mean brady = overrated if many people can succeed there?

ballwonder

EOG Master

Brady will not be traded and they will reward Matt with some type of offer to retain him. If you dont think Matt is happy with what he has going right now you gotta be nuts.

Personally, I hope they don't trade Brady. Maybe it's more of a heart feeling than a head feeling, but I feel that Brady deserves a chance to prove he can make a comeback. I wish we could keep both of them. Either one of them will bite us in the ass if they land in the wrong hands. And by "wrong" I mean "Jets". I have a feeling whomever the Pats trade, Manwienie with ALL over him.

The biggest issue is that Cassel is a free agent, and if you don't trade brady you get nothing for Cassel. Brady's value is at a peak right now, and I just think its defintely something to consider. . .

They would never trade brady to a team in their conference, don't worry bout that sweedy. . . happy holidays. . .

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

The biggest issue is that Cassel is a free agent, and if you don't trade brady you get nothing for Cassel. Brady's value is at a peak right now, and I just think its defintely something to consider. . .

They would never trade brady to a team in their conference, don't worry bout that sweedy. . . happy holidays. . .

Correct, Eric and Stephen mentioned that in their analysis this AM...but Chicago, Detroit, and Minn all may be interested. They also said that it was just not cost effective to keep both Brady and Cassel, so if one has to go, it only makes sense to trady Brady.

I know they wouldn't let Brady go there...I'm worried about Cassel signing with the Jets. Who knows if Farve will be back next year?

I just think everyone on the team plays better with Tom around. I'd hate to see him go. He's a great QB. Even if they trade him to the NFC...we could very well see him in a SB...and I don't know wnyone who wants to play a Super Bowl against that guy.

i'd be curious to see how he does w/o Bill B at the helm. I mean he was a backup at michigan and really didn't devlope until beli started pulling the strings. . .

The pats playcalling and gameplanning is so much advanced, belicheck could have 6-8 wins w/ the lions.

i'd be curious to see how he does w/o Bill B at the helm. I mean he was a backup at michigan and really didn't devlope until beli started pulling the strings. . .

The pats playcalling and gameplanning is so much advanced, belicheck could have 6-8 wins w/ the lions.

me2, would be a lot easier to see how good brady really is :cheers

Well, and who knows...after a few years with Bill, Cassel night be BETTER than Brady. Like I said in the other thread: Cassel has the ability to make plays running....Brady looks goofy as hell trying to run. I'd just hate to see him go. I feel like it would be bad karma to send him packing as soon as he has his first serious injury. If he comes back next year, they still have half a chance at seeing 19-0...as long as Moss stays put and remains positive.

Well, and who knows...after a few years with Bill, Cassel night be BETTER than Brady. Like I said in the other thread: Cassel has the ability to make plays running....Brady looks goofy as hell trying to run. I'd just hate to see him go. I feel like it would be bad karma to send him packing as soon as he has his first serious injury. If he comes back next year, they still have half a chance at seeing 19-0...as long as Moss stays put and remains positive.

:nono cassell sucks donkey dick

there is absolutely positively 0.0000000000000000000% chance the pats give cassel the nod over brady...there is no reason they should trade him...think about trading him...or even breathe the fact of trading him...

unless a team is willing to give up their 1st round picks for the next half decade...any speculation on trading brady is absolutely retarded

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

Without knowing the feasibility of doing so i.e. current contract obligations, market worth, demand or potential offers in return...it is unreasonable to give a definitive answer.

Having said that, I would certainly investigate moving him...making a decision based upon what was discovered.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

QD,
The Prophet just called you an idiot...I thought I ought to clarify that for you since discernment is not your strong suit!

QD,
The Prophet just called you an idiot...I thought I ought to clarify that for you since discernment is not your strong suit!

a wise man cant possibly believe a cassel lead pats team is anywhere as good as a brady lead pats team

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

a wise man cant possibly believe a cassel lead pats team is anywhere as good as a brady lead pats team

No one, wise or foolish, was discussing that. Let me try to crystallize the discussion since I watched it this AM....

No one knows what condition Brady will be in next year returning from surgery. A good indicator is Mcnabb, who had the same surgery a few years back and needed time to get back to his old self, some would say he has not yet returned to his pre-surgery form, but that's a different discussion.

They said it's a given that the Pats can't keep both Brady and Cassel(I don't know if that's true or not but their arguments made sense).

Assuming they can only keep one, then the trade value for Brady is much higher than it is for Cassel(I don't think they can get anything for him since he's going to be a free agent).

If some team outside their division/conference offers them 2 first round draft picks, the Pats would be foolish not to at least consider the trade.(another given is that the Pats are anything but foolish)

Maybe, just maybe, Brady is Brady because he plays for Belichick, not the other way around?

It was an interesting discussion between Kuselias and Smith, much more interesting than my feeble ability to restate it.

Here's how I see this...

If the Patriots did actually trade Tom Brady before the 2009 NFL draft, they would take a $10.3 million cap hit on the 2009 season. That is the salary and prorated signing bonus for Brady. Then they would have to turn around and give Cassel a big contract, somewhere in the Tony Romo range of about $6 million per year.

It makes much more economic sense for the Patriots to keep Tom Brady, with his very cap friendly contract, and let Matt Cassel seek his fortune from another team.

He's played well this season, far above any realistic expectations, but that, in no way, should be over reacted to and allow him to supplant a first ballot HOF QB that is, age wise, in the prime of his career.

Yes, I know that Brady could very well never be the same QB because of his knee, but he should, at the very least, be given the chance to prove himself once he is fit to resume football activities.

Trading Brady would be foolish.

Just in time for Christmas, The Dawg and I agree on something other than his wife being a wonderful woman! :houra

Just in time for Christmas, The Dawg and I agree on something other than his wife being a wonderful woman! :houra

Stupid is stupid no matter how much you try and rationalize it. Just because I don't like the team, doesn't mean I won't recognize a stupid idea when I see it.

I can almost see Scott Pioli sitting in his office, and Tom Brady laying in bed with Gisele, laughing at all of the armchair GM's and their trade fantasies.

texansfan

EOG Master

I know they wouldn't let Brady go there...I'm worried about Cassel signing with the Jets. Who knows if Farve will be back next year?

I just think everyone on the team plays better with Tom around. I'd hate to see him go. He's a great QB. Even if they trade him to the NFC...we could very well see him in a SB...and I don't know wnyone who wants to play a Super Bowl against that guy.

The NYG's come to mind for one.

Stupid is stupid no matter how much you try and rationalize it. Just because I don't like the team, doesn't mean I won't recognize a stupid idea when I see it.

I can almost see Scott Pioli sitting in his office, and Tom Brady laying in bed with Gisele, laughing at all of the armchair GM's and their trade fantasies.

:xmas5

Of course not, you asked who wants to play them and the Giants did quite well against them. That's all.

Yeahhh, but that also wasn't the best game for the Pats. I'm pretty sure the Giants wouldn't want to risk a ring against the Pats again. I'm not saying they'd be scared, but if given the choice, I don't think they'd choose the Pats...especially lead by Brady.

reanimator

EOG Addicted

Pats might not make the playoffs.

Right....and when's the last time you heard that with Brady as QB?

TB has too many credentials, too much raw talent, too much hardware, and is an embedded part of New England. He's also kept his pay in line with where the team needs it to be in order to bring in other great players. Last year he was the best the league had, and there's little reason to expect he'll be any different coming back from any injury.

texansfan

EOG Master

Yeahhh, but that also wasn't the best game for the Pats. I'm pretty sure the Giants wouldn't want to risk a ring against the Pats again. I'm not saying they'd be scared, but if given the choice, I don't think they'd choose the Pats...especially lead by Brady.

The Giants defense was the reason it wasn't the best game for Brady and the Pats. That Giants defense held the Pats to 14 points in a season where they were runnng up the score on most every team.

This is the NFL, teams aren't scared of another team. Now, an opponent might be better than them but they certainly aren't scared of them. The Giants were a better team that day as evidence by the final score. The Pats might have very well have won the next 4 games if the SB was a best of 7, but it isn't obviously.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Brady will not be traded and they will reward Matt with some type of offer to retain him. If you dont think Matt is happy with what he has going right now you gotta be nuts.

They can't keep Matt if they keep brady. Its one or the other.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Here's how I see this...

If the Patriots did actually trade Tom Brady before the 2009 NFL draft, they would take a $10.3 million cap hit on the 2009 season. That is the salary and prorated signing bonus for Brady. Then they would have to turn around and give Cassel a big contract, somewhere in the Tony Romo range of about $6 million per year.

It makes much more economic sense for the Patriots to keep Tom Brady, with his very cap friendly contract, and let Matt Cassel seek his fortune from another team.

He's played well this season, far above any realistic expectations, but that, in no way, should be over reacted to and allow him to supplant a first ballot HOF QB that is, age wise, in the prime of his career.

Yes, I know that Brady could very well never be the same QB because of his knee, but he should, at the very least, be given the chance to prove himself once he is fit to resume football activities.

Trading Brady would be foolish.

I don't know if any of that salary cap business is true or not; not that I don't believe you, Road Dawg, I'm just saying that aspect was not mentioned on the show this AM.

If that is true, it is very surprising that was not mentioned. I'm sure this will be discussed some more by the ESPN talking heads before we get to the draft.

When they let Adam V. go at the time they did, it made me feel they would let -anyone- go if it made financial/value sense.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

When they let Adam V. go at the time they did, it made me feel they would let -anyone- go if it made financial/value sense.

Exactly...SAS made the point that maybe it is Belichick who makes Brady look so good, not vice versa