THE NEW "JURY DUTY" SCAM

dirty

EOG Master
A Nuze reader wrote about an interesting new scam out there ... a scam designed to get you to tell someone your Social Security number and other private info. Here's how it works. You get a phone call form someone identifying themselves as clerk of the local county court, or some similar position. You are told that a warrant has been issued for your arrest because you failed to show up for jury duty. You, of course, respond that you didn't know that you have been called for jury duty, and that there must be some mistake. The scammer then agrees that there might have been a mistake, and tells you that they can straighten things out if you will just give them the correct spelling of your name and your Social Security number. Sometimes they may ask for a credit card number just to verify your identification. Believe it or not, there is no shortage of Americans who will fall for this and hand over any information the phony clerk of the court asks for. After all, there's a warrant out for your arrest!

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated
New scams all the time. I am not worried about myself, but I constantly have to tell my mother in law never never give out any information over the phone.