The next "BIG THING" at Santa Anita

blueline

EOG Master
from Vic Stauffer

NOTE** You’re going to start seeing me use the new apprentice J C Diaz in many of my exotics even if current form doesn’t necessarily warrant it. I think he’s the next BIG THING in the Southern Cal riding colony. Tony Matos, who made Evin Roman leading rider at Santa Anita a few meets back, has his book. He’s already into some very important barns and IMO, the sky is the limit. You wouldn’t think 7 lbs. on a 1000-pound animal would make much of a difference. For some reason, especially when a bug boy gets hot, it’s remarkable how much of an impact it does have. We’re getting in on the ground floor with this kid. I’m sure he’s going to be the goods

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
JC Diaz.

Got it.

Wasn't there a Juvenal Diaz on the Chicago circuit back in the day?

Remember him riding Sportsman's Park bull ring, Hawthorne, and Arlington Park. Was top jock at Sportsman's and Hawthorne when the big boys would all move to Florida/Hot Springs in the winter.

blueline

EOG Master
Juvenal was known for " dropping anchor" out of the gate...last i heard of him he was pinhooking in florida

a story from Vic;s pick site

RACE 7 Since this race is tragic non-winners of two for $12,500, I thought I’d tell you two stories about one of my favorite people, Kathy Walsh a.k.a. “Mrs. Doubtfire”. Don’t let that name confuse you, she’s one tough broad. The first story is, when she had to change stable foreman. She had a guy working for her named Ricky Agarie, who would later go on to be Carla Gaines’ longtime assistant. Trainers trust their foreman or assistant trainers to set out feed and medication for dinner the night before. One afternoon, Ricky gave a horse a full dose of Bute the evening before he was supposed to run, necessitating a late scratch. Kathy wasn’t really pleased so she punched him out. My second Kathy Walsh story involves me, Joel Rosario and my wife Tina, as well as steward Scott Cheney. When I had Rosario’s book, Kathy asked me to ride a horse for her in a maiden $32,000 claiming race at Hollywood Park.

When the horse came onto the track, I knew we werein trouble because she looked like she didn’t weigh as much as I do, and Rosario’s feet were dragging on the ground. For some reason unbeknownst to me, the public made her 6/5. She was just barely nipped by 16 lengths, in a salty 5th place finish. I could hear Kathy screaming at Rosario, even before I could see her coming out from underneath the grandstand. Joel was looking up at me like “what do I do, what do I do”?

So, he scampers into the jocks room before she can get her claws into him. Fast-forward to making plans for all of us to have dinner in El Segundo. I was the only person who knew where the restaurant was, so I had to try to coordinate directions for everybody in three different cars. Sure enough, about five minutes later, here comes the call from Kathy Walsh. I figured what the heck, go ahead and take my medicine now, and listen to her screams. So, I answered the phone and here it came: “You call that jockey a leading rider? That was the worst damn ride I’ve ever seen! Don’t you ever come by my barn again!” I said Cathy hang on, just hold it for a second, and I’ll be right back”.

So, I switched over to Tina and told her she was going to have to figure out where the restaurant was herself, because I had a screaming idiot, banshee Kathy Walsh on the other line. After a bit of a pause, here’s Kathy’s voice saying “Victor, it’s meeee, Kathy… I’m still on the line!” When I saw her the next morning, she had already told about 10 people in the kitchen what had happened, and we all got a big laugh out of it. We’ve been close friends ever since

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Some funny lines by Vic.

Great use of the word "banshee."

I also liked Vic's use of sarcasm when he wrote the horse "was just barely nipped by 16 lengths."

blueline

EOG Master
I dont follow anyones picks but I enjoy reading his pick package he posts after the card is finished. I like the stories and other tidbits...its not the typical tout 2nd off the layoff stuff

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Love free recaps.

And a great way for Vic to spread his work to the masses.

Loved to listen to Jeff Siegel handicap the SoCal races on a recorded message from Handicapper's Report in the 1980's and '90's.

Useful way to learn more about the game.

Valuist

EOG Master
JC Diaz.

Got it.

Wasn't there a Juvenal Diaz on the Chicago circuit back in the day?

They used to say a horse got "Juvied" if he burned money due to a poor start that may have not been accidental. But when he was all out, he was pretty good.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
His ride last week on 2/10 on “Swirling” was dangerous as hell and deserved him a punch in the face from the other jockeys. Also from me cause I had the second and third place finishers

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
They used to say a horse got "Juvied" if he burned money due to a poor start that may have not been accidental. But when he was all out, he was pretty good.

I think Diaz rode Meadowlake when he broke maiden and won by like 25 lengths at Hawthorne when the Arlington plant was being rebuilt.

Mr. Pink

EOG Veteran
JC brought home a $25 horse at Gulfstream R10 today

POS # Horse Win Place Show

7 Braver Then We Are $25.00 $8.00 $5.60
1 Passionate Hachi $2.80 $2.40
2 Best Thunder $7.40