The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple hours!

nsane

EOG Enthusiast
Re: The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple hours!

My dad was already a drunk when my mom merried him, I just don't thin she realized it. Five years down the road she was fed up. That's what happened.

I don't think we're understanding each other here. I know that for someone to make that change, they have to want to. I'm not saying that all us kids standing together say "Daddy, get sober for us" is what made him enter rehab. But I do feel that my mom divorcing him is one of the things that made him see he needed to change...and he needed help. He had already gone through one divorce, so maybe it was the possibility of losing another family that scared him into taking a closer look at himself. The way he tells it now, if he were single, he probably would have kept drinking much longer. It was the realization of: "Maybe it's not them...it's me. This is the second family to kick me out." that really got his attention. To be completely honest, I was too young to remember most of his alchoholism and too sheltered to see the rest. My family, I'm discovering, had the lovely habit or "protecting" me from everything when I was a kid. In fact, one of my first memories n the topic was going to his rehab to feed the ducks. I didn't know until I was about 15 that the memory was from the pond at his rehab center. When I would talk about it, my mom would just say: "Yeah, that time you fed the ducks at daddy's old apartment?" Nice, huh?

Anywho, sorry if I offended. It wasn't my intention. I've been around addiction quite a bit and have seen just about every outcome...but other than cigarettes, I cannot speak from personal experience. Keep up the good work! 91023i2ndw;l
no offense taken and no offense intended swede..sometimes in AA meetings it's like a knock down drag out and outsiders would be shocked at the language used,and that is exactly why it works.to thine own self be true..my 1st 2 AA meetings i left because they would not accept the fact that the wife,kids,job,stress,my neighbors sucked,etc were the cause of my drinkin,hehehe..i went back because i was tired of livin like that, my way was not workin and had'nt for many years.the same guys who told me i was full of shit are now my buddies..."keep the continue"

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

If you're an alcoholic, than your brain tells you (alcohol) is your friend. Doesn't matter if that statement is true or false. What matters is what your brain says. Of course, the friend stays around forever and causes you problems at least possibly. So do "real, sober people". The difference is clear to me.
What's that commercial that used to say..." a mind is a terrible thing to waste". Which mind is that?
We are all different with different beliefs and on and on.....keep the continue.
:LMAO
whoson1st, while i was still drinklin i knew from the bottom of my heart that i had to drink....lookin back i see that nothin could have been farther from the truth....i learned that if you force yourself to do the next right thing every day one day you"ll wake up and do the next right thing and not even think about it....it was'nt easy but that is what happened to me....."keep the continue"

betedge

EOG Member
Re: The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple days!

Re: The Shrink hits 3 years sober in a couple days!

Thanks...

Ironically, I was asked to be the speaker tonight at a meeting and just got back...

If I can manage to stay sober just a few more hours tonight, it will be 3 years on February 3rd, since I last had a drink or a mood altering drug...

Nonethless, I am still fucking crazy...:blink:
congrat's shrink. Hit 6 yrs last dec myself. one day at a time my friend....

edge

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

whoson1st, while i was still drinklin i knew from the bottom of my heart that i had to drink....lookin back i see that nothin could have been farther from the truth....i learned that if you force yourself to do the next right thing every day one day you"ll wake up and do the next right thing and not even think about it....it was'nt easy but that is what happened to me....."keep the continue"

Let me say this. Do you think today the same things you did at 15 years old? (No-I'll answer for you) How about at 30 years old? 40yrs old? 50 yrs old? etc... you get my drift here?
My dad once said..."a man is a fool to drink before 40 and a fool if he doesn't after 40".

nsane

EOG Enthusiast

Let me say this. Do you think today the same things you did at 15 years old? (No-I'll answer for you) How about at 30 years old? 40yrs old? 50 yrs old? etc... you get my drift here?
My dad once said..."a man is a fool to drink before 40 and a fool if he doesn't after 40".
you make a good point but i'm not sure chronological age has much to do with it..it's obvious to me now that i was immature (emotionally) and needed to grow up....in other words take responsibility for my actions and stop being a fkn victim....no matter what has happened in yer life feelin sorry for yerself just does not work..what a different feeling to realize that i'm the captain of my own ship...denial is a mfer.thats my experience....."keep the continue'

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

aa anit for those that need it
aa aint even for those that want it
aa is for those that do it
--------------