The Thucydides Trap: Are the U.S. and China Headed for War?

MrTop

EOG Master
In 12 of 16 past cases in which a rising power has confronted a ruling power, the result has been bloodshed.

1596066017807.png

But why? What do the two sides have to fight over? What territories do they contest? Much like the Cold War, this is made for a proxy war where you do have two sides face off over territory or resources with the two sides supplying the proxies. Maybe a fight over Taiwan, but I don't see the US really stepping up to defend Taiwan unless they get the rest of the world to join them in a coalition. And right now we got Mr. No Friends Necessary burning bridges with every coalition we had.

When you get away from the rhetoric I see little reason for the two sides to have an armed fight. Economic battles and trying to buy off allies very well could happen, but nothing that suggests armies engaging.

MrTop

EOG Master
But why? What do the two sides have to fight over? What territories do they contest? Much like the Cold War, this is made for a proxy war where you do have two sides face off over territory or resources with the two sides supplying the proxies. Maybe a fight over Taiwan, but I don't see the US really stepping up to defend Taiwan unless they get the rest of the world to join them in a coalition. And right now we got Mr. No Friends Necessary burning bridges with every coalition we had.

When you get away from the rhetoric I see little reason for the two sides to have an armed fight. Economic battles and trying to buy off allies very well could happen, but nothing that suggests armies engaging.

south china sea has oil... there is a trade choke point near the south china sea... they will put up a blockade then an easy pass to make ships pay to go thru.. philippines took china to international court... they won... china still does not honor the court ruling .... there would be a naval fight at sea... if it gets bigger ..maybe nukes. US Navy does not know if they can win in south china sea.

MrTop

EOG Master
THE THREAD WAS SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE OTHER AREA.... WHEN IT WENT THRU..... i DON'T KNOW HOW TO MOVE IT...

PLEASE DON'T CRY