TOP 5 Running Backs in NFL History

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
You might want to take into account:

1. Team Success
2. Personal Stats

Who would be in your top 5? Try to list them in order.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated
Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
O.J. Simpson
Emmitt Smith
John Riggins

I could make a case for Gail Sayers and Bo Jackson due to sheer talent. But their careers were cut too short.

mofome

Banned
LT? lmao

Brown
Sanders
Payton
smith
McElhenny

sayers also returned kicks, over 30 yards per return

:cheers

IN ORDER

JIM BROWN
BARRY SANDERS
WALTER PAYTON
Emmitt Smith
EARL CAMPBELL

Franco due to the team success aspect Barry may be too high for the same reason.

LT does things that other backs only dream about.

He's been in the league for five years now and every year has 1500 yards rushing along with 500 receiving and ends up with around 20 TDs every season.

How many backs in NFL history can say that?

Plus, the guy is only 27. He's hitting his freakin prime now.

I guess you dont remember how Faulk dominated and won a SB and appeared in 2, he was an all purpose back as well and probably did more

youre just plain wrong here

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Forget team success, Barry was the best ever no matter how you look at it......

(These player comparisons always get lots of debate, lol)

Romanowski said:
I guess you dont remember how Faulk dominated and won a SB and appeared in 2, he was an all purpose back as well and probably did more

youre just plain wrong here

Faulk did alot of the same things but I think LT has quite a bit more potential. Faulk was hurt in his prime and never really got back. LT has never really been injured... LT is gonna own alot of records before all is said and done.

jakethompson said:
Faulk did alot of the same things but I think LT has quite a bit more potential. Faulk was hurt in his prime and never really got back. LT has never really been injured... LT is gonna own alot of records before all is said and done.

Faulk's best rushing year ever was 1381. He's had 12 seasons.

LT has done better than that in 3 of his 5 years.

Faulk developed into an excellent pass catcher but over his first four years, LT and Faulk are very close there as well.

Faulk's best rushing TD total was 18 and then 11. LT went for 18 last year and the only time he's ever been below 11 was his rookie year when he only ran 10 in.

LT, although he is 7 years behind Faulk in terms of completed seasons, is only 5000 rushing yards behind him.

I like LT as the better back now and definately the better back when all is said and done.

Tomlinson attended college at TCU, where he starred at running back, he wore number 5. He was a Heisman Trophy finalist as a senior, and completed his college career with 5,263 rushing yards, ranking sixth in NCAA Division I history. He still holds NCAA records for most rushing yards in a single game (406).

Tomlinson has an NFL record 80 touchdowns in his first five seasons.

Romanowski said:
Lets put Reggie Bush in the top 5 All time too

Alright guy. Than tell me why LT doesn't deserve to be on the list. He's done more in his first five seasons than most backs do over an NFL career and is on track to break rushing records left and right. To top it all off, he's never really been injured AND he is one of the best pass-catching RBs the NFL has ever seen.

I think LT is great, but his teams havent had much success, and I think Faulk has done more. I dont think neither belong in the top 5 all time, maybe LT will when its said and done

Romanowski said:
I think LT is great, but his teams havent had much success, and I think Faulk has done more. I dont think neither belong in the top 5 all time, maybe LT will when its said and done

Alright good enough for me. I just think that what LT has done in 5 seasons may be the best first five seasons of anyone all-time. Plus, I don't see a ton of great RBs that do what LT does.

Either way, good luck on your plays today. PS, ESPN just put out a story that Faulk is having another surgery and may retire.

vinividivinci

EOG Addicted
1. Jim Brown

2. Barry Sanders

3. Walter Payton

4. Earl Campbell

5. Tony Dorsett

Old Timers:

Hopalong Cassidy
Red Grange
Paul Hornung
Jim Taylor

VVV

I am stunned that this many people think Sanders was better than Payton. Sanders led his team to ONE playoff win. Also has ONE playoff TD, and a playoff game with (-1) rushing.

Payton, besides rushing, won a Super Bowl, threw for eight career TD, a supurb blocker, and led the NFC in kickoff return avg his rookie year.

How I rate the top-10:

Brown
Payton
Sayers
Emmitt
Sanders
M Allen
Craig
Faulk
Alexander
Dickerson

jakethompson said:
Alright good enough for me. I just think that what LT has done in 5 seasons may be the best first five seasons of anyone all-time. Plus, I don't see a ton of great RBs that do what LT does.

Either way, good luck on your plays today. PS, ESPN just put out a story that Faulk is having another surgery and may retire.

Haven't looked it up, but Alexander's first 5 years are right there with LT.

Hache Man said:
Forget team success, Barry was the best ever no matter how you look at it......

(These player comparisons always get lots of debate, lol)

Shrink needs to put Hache on Post-review.

I must be getting old with all the Sanders love here.

MadCapper said:
Where would CURTIS MARTIN rank?

I tried to find a spot with him and Bettis in my top 10, but I wouldn't know who to drop. I think Campbell and OJ are better than both of them and just missed. Martin and Bettis were very steady/consistant RB's for their career.

Jagermeister said:
Haven't looked it up, but Alexander's first 5 years are right there with LT.

Alexander is probably close but Shaun can't catch a pass. That's the main knock on him where I'd put LT over him.

CHALKbreaker

EOG Dedicated
Re: TOP 5 Running Backs in NFL History

1: BARRY SANDERS
2: JIM BROWN
3: WALTER PAYTON
4: GAIL SAYERS
5: RED GRANGE

Hmm still no LT votes yet... I figured I'd get at least a few of ya to jump on the bandwagon.

dirty

EOG Master

Hmm still no LT votes yet... I figured I'd get at least a few of ya to jump on the bandwagon.

why his career is not over... and if he were to get a career ending injury now he would not go down as the best ever. Hell People now can argue that Alexander and Barber are as good as Him... Do I believe they are...NO...but a case can be made