United States Military running requirements

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Males ages 17-21 must be able to run two miles in no more than 16 minutes and 36 seconds.

Are you fit enough to fulfill the requirement?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In high school I could run a 6 minute mile, ran cross-country 2.2 miles in 16 minutes, and I was a slug.

A six-minute mile, love it.

The popular standard, from everything I read, is an eight-minute mile.

Of course, a four-minute mile was the goal of elite runners in the 1950's.

Roger Bannister was the first to break the four-minute mark in 1954.

The current world record for a mile is 3:43.13 set by one of Railbird's friends, Hicham El Guerrouj of Morrocco, in 1999.

i thought you needed your parents john hancock to get in at 17

it was 2 miles every age 3x a week.

the seals did 10 miles 4x week - 6x week

lifeguards did 100 miles in an hour

Heim

EOG Master
Males ages 17-21 must be able to run two miles in no more than 16 minutes and 36 seconds.

Are you fit enough to fulfill the requirement?

The one year I played college basketball, that was the team requirement too before practice started in November. It's not as easy as it sounds. Go on a treadmill and set the mph for a 8 minute mile......pretty good pace for one lap around the track let alone eight for two miles.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The one year I played college basketball, that was the team requirement too before practice started in November. It's not as easy as it sounds. Go on a treadmill and set the mph for a 8 minute mile......pretty good pace for one lap around the track let alone eight for two miles.

I just sprinted 220 yards in about 45 seconds.

Don't laugh.

Now to do it seven more times without stopping.

That's a six-minute mile.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Not many people play organized basketball after high school.

A tip of the cap to HEIM.

as a 18 yr old pitcher at santa ana college i ran a 4 44 mile, 2nd place behind mike shawabe 4 43, mike had a very short mlb career with detroit tigers

Heim

EOG Master
as a 18 yr old pitcher at santa ana college i ran a 4 44 mile, 2nd place behind mike shawabe 4 43, mike had a very short mlb career with detroit tigers

No fucken way....the top times in the state back then were 4.23. And these were guys like Eric Hulst at Laguna Beach, all-time greats in the county.
lol you are within 150 yards of guys like that in a race. Please stop.

I`m sure that military requirement is running shoes. Ideal running conditions.-----Then it`s hoped you can cover 2 miles in 40 minutes, field conditions. Carrying equipment.

ComptrBob has calves the size of cantaloupes.

Could have been a drug runner at some point in time.

i was watching TV one time and Arnold Schwarzenegger was on. He said that he put implants in his calves to compete in body building . He also said people are born with calves. I have no idea if what he is said was true or was he just saying it to the crowd.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No fucken way....the top times in the state back then were 4.23. And these were guys like Eric Hulst at Laguna Beach, all-time greats in the county.
lol you are within 150 yards of guys like that in a race. Please stop.

Heim, it's the Internet.

No fact-checking here.

all the pitchers in highschool ran 4 miles every mon,wed and friday morning at 6am. on santa ana river trail. i could sprint a mile back then.