What does it take to move a line?

Vivaldi

EOG Addicted
There's liberal movement with openers and I don't believe it takes much to achieve it. How much would it take to move a line when there's copious amount of action already dictating the market? How much would it take to cause ample movement?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: What does it take to move a line?

In theory, a limit bet should move the line, but I know the answer is not that simple. I've never worked behind the counter, so I'll count on others to provide a better answer. Good question.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

A limit bet is a good answer (except from a lifetime loser)

A bet from a beard trying to beat the number is another situation...

size matters when speaking of the out with thousands of customers..as they can do things differently when they know they will get action on othe

respect first-if u know he is sharp u move on him even if u only give him 500 a game...some guys get multiple point moves esp on totals....and on baseball can be a 10 cent move easy for hot or sharp guys. especially for outs that arent on the screen (don best) as they get hit first by syndicates cause they cant see eachother so the syndicates get down there first lines wont move at multiple books when they get hit, again cause they arent on a service so they get it all at once, then the on screen outs get hit and the world moves...a lot of on screen outs monitor some offscreen outs that have sharps to be ahead of the curve....

dollars second-big bets can get a move too

pinnacle seems to move on anything cause they have enough action to get the buybacks...smaller shops dont always get the buybacks so have to be a little more selective...and why it is tough for small shops to follow pinny

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Smaller shops have to move the line a little more than the big shops such as CRIS or Pinny....those big shops will always get a buyback on the other side...that's why the big shops will not get hurt in a middle as much as the smaller shops will...

rainbow

EOG Master

For me this is a no brainer, I'm not going to move a line on someone that I don't RESPECT PERIOD... I'm not in this BUSINESS to FEED WISEGUYS, and as far as MIDDLES goes I think a BIG SHOP LOSES way more on a game if a number falls compared to a small shop, small shops don't get hit at as many times because they are too busy dry moving their games, dry moving gets hit way less, its not even close..... WISEGUYS are going to have to earn their money with me. so many books move the lines off the WRONG PEOPLE........... One thing for sure about me is that I do know WISEGUYS, you can't teach someone to know this business well, you either have it or you don't....

rainbow

EOG Master

In theory, a limit bet should move the line, but I know the answer is not that simple. I've never worked behind the counter, so I'll count on others to provide a better answer. Good question.
It doesn't matter how many digits a square bets me, I'm not moving the line off of him.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

this question comes up alot. here's the answer. a book with deep pockets like pinny or the place i used to work--never moves on money. if bernardoincr bets 50,000 no one in their right mind should move off a number. but the wise guys have limits on sides and totals depending on sports, and when they bet their limit-bang!!! line moves...
so if they have 50,000 on side a, bet wise guy comes in and bets 2000 on side b- line will move in fav or of side b-fuck bernardoincr's bet.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

a guy that bets a $100 a game could move a line if he is a sharp.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

It is a great thread! I interpreted Vivaldi's question as to how much money does it take to manipulate the marketplace, i.e. move the Lakers from 7 to 7 1/2, , etc. Obviously, there would be a huge difference based on the importance of the game - square side? - big name pitcher, etc., etc.

My personal question would be if bookmakers can spot a false move from big time sharps? I guess if the manipulator does it on a regular basis the cat may be out of the bag! LOL

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

difference between sharp guy and wise guy. but if i give say bw's syndicate 2000 a side in bases and he bets me a dime on a game, it is not a move. so to answer the 100 dollar question, i would say, it is not a line move. a wise guy would not make the effort to call a book if his limit was only 100. they are given orders and must get down 10's of thousands of dollars before some outs bet a screen book and the lines move.

High Times

EOG Master

It is a great thread! I interpreted Vivaldi's question as to how much money does it take to manipulate the marketplace, i.e. move the Lakers from 7 to 7 1/2, , etc. Obviously, there would be a huge difference based on the importance of the game - square side? - big name pitcher, etc., etc.

My personal question would be if bookmakers can spot a false move from big time sharps? I guess if the manipulator does it on a regular basis the cat may be out of the bag! LOL

The bookmakers have no clue how to spot a false line move. That's why sometimes they trust a $100 dollar bettor who always seems to know the lines moves and will move "auto" when any limit bettors bets no matter what they bet.

The bookmakers don't have enough balls to stay at a numbers when someone sharper than them makes a bet. That's why they are bookmakers and the bettors are bettors.

And the more money bet on an event obviously makes the lines harder to move after the openers have been bet into place.

A moron can move a regular hockey season total 10 cents just by betting the games at a couple certain books because the rest of the bookmakers (followers too) move off the screen.

They are too easy.

Heim

EOG Master

One thing I've learned over the years......the 'public' does not move numbers.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

A ton of books just like giving money away when they move lines incorrectly....

Wondering how Rainbow determines who is sharp and who is square?

rainbow

EOG Master

The bookmakers have no clue how to spot a false line move. That's why sometimes they trust a $100 dollar bettor who always seems to know the lines moves and will move "auto" when any limit bettors bets no matter what they bet.

The bookmakers don't have enough balls to stay at a numbers when someone sharper than them makes a bet. That's why they are bookmakers and the bettors are bettors.

And the more money bet on an event obviously makes the lines harder to move after the openers have been bet into place.

A moron can move a regular hockey season total 10 cents just by betting the games at a couple certain books because the rest of the bookmakers (followers too) move off the screen.

They are too easy.
When your Mama was changing your Diapers I was in this BUISNESS, I catered to WISEGUYS for over 20yrs, and I know practically all of them, I can't count on both of my hands how many BEARDS I caught betting me.

rainbow

EOG Master

Bucky, I know several guys that MANIPULATE the OVERNIGHT LINES..... its real SIMPLE to do when the MAJORITY BOOKS don't open till 11am EST the following day, it doesn't take much MONEY to do it........

rainbow

EOG Master

difference between sharp guy and wise guy. but if i give say bw's syndicate 2000 a side in bases and he bets me a dime on a game, it is not a move. so to answer the 100 dollar question, i would say, it is not a line move. a wise guy would not make the effort to call a book if his limit was only 100. they are given orders and must get down 10's of thousands of dollars before some outs bet a screen book and the lines move.
You would be SURPRIZED how many times they NEVER even hit the SCREEN, they bet REAL SMALL BETS on the INTERNET, they do it all doing the FOOTBALL and the HOOPS............

rainbow

EOG Master

I am indebted to the EOG posters. I commend you for the sharp responses.

Is this true? Would the sharp not bet more than $100?
WITHOUT a DOUBT they bet more than $100.00 on a game, but they will take whatever a book will give them, I can remember many years ago they were betting me $200.00 on NBA TOTALS..........

Mouth

EOG Enthusiast

15 years ago I was at some Vegas book and bet $500 on an NFL Exhibition game. I made my bet and next thing I know they changed the line half a point in the way I bet the game. That made me feel great to know some nobody like me moved the line. I ended up winning my bet, too. I once made a $3,000 bet during the NCAA Tourney and thought I would move the line but did not.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Rainbow knows his stuff. Good to have him here- same for VD and the others. I have a lot to learn.

High Times

EOG Master

When your Mama was changing your Diapers I was in this BUISNESS, I catered to WISEGUYS for over 20yrs, and I know practically all of them, I can't count on both of my hands how many BEARDS I caught betting me.

Doesn't make you sharp at all though.

I was moving lines 20 years ago and that would have made you one of those clueless bookmakers. They were all over the place and getting used like a cheap whore.

And if you catered to wiseguys like you claimed why would these wiseguys need beards to bet into your book? That doesn't make sense at all if they had no problem getting down without the beards.

What one is it?

You can claim anything you want

Doesn't make it true

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Guys like Steak Tartar, ZZCream, Willy Loman, and myself were moving lines before the internet came along...the net has made others think that it was an easy job....

It was a battle during the old days and the linesmakers mentioned won most of the time...and they have battle scars to prove it...LOL

The internet just makes it easier to book...but at the same time we didn't have to deal with props or many halftimes...but it was a bitch trying to keep up with the money coming in over the phones...helped to have a good number of American clerks working for you....nowadays American clerks are like dinosaurs, they hardly exist...

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Ask Larry from DELMAR or Spiro do I move off of SQUARE MONEY, and ask them both how good I know WISEGUYS........

Knowing the wise guys doesn't give you the ability to move lines...there are a lot more factors involved....12io4j2w90

rainbow

EOG Master

Guys like Steak Tartar, ZZCream, Willy Loman, and myself were moving lines before the internet came along...the net has made others think that it was an easy job....

It was a battle during the old days and the linesmakers mentioned won most of the time...and they have battle scars to prove it...LOL

The internet just makes it easier to book...but at the same time we didn't have to deal with props or many halftimes...but it was a bitch trying to keep up with the money coming in over the phones...helped to have a good number of American clerks working for you....nowadays American clerks are like dinosaurs, they hardly exist...
To be EXACT 35YRS I've been moving lines, only 20yrs offshore without no breaks in between, like I said ask people that know this INDUSTRY, they will tell you how good I am at moving lines, if you can move lines with WISEGUYS, you can mov lines for anyone, I don't need no DONBEST SCREEN, I did it for too many years before it ever existed, ask people that have been around they will tell you how SHARP I am..... Iwish I had what GRANDE and CRIS gives away to WISEGUYS at POST, I don't FEED WISEGUYS PERIOD..

rainbow

EOG Master

I would like to see all these suppose to be BOOKMAKERS MOVE LINES WITHOUT A SCREEN, THE MONEYLINE, 1ST HALFS, QUARTER LINES, ITS SO MANY SUPPOSE TO BE BOOKIES THAT COPY DIRECTLY OFF THE SCREEN, I'VE NEVER DID IT MY ENTIRE LIFE, ITS USED FOR A guide line only for me,my mind was made for this BUSINESS, I HAVE A PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY WHICH HELPS OUT TREMENDOUSLY IN THIS BUSINESS... I COULDN'T TEACH PEOPLE WHAT I KNOW ABOUT THIS BUSINESS, BECAUSE YOU EITHER HAVE IT OR YOU DON'T.........:cheers

rainbow

EOG Master

Knowing the wise guys doesn't give you the ability to move lines...there are a lot more factors involved....12io4j2w90
What move factors do you know? oh my GOD, Did I hear that right? they are all AUTOMACTIC if YOU KNOW THE BUSINESS.... :+clueless

rainbow

EOG Master

Ask LARRY from DELMAR how SHARP I am, and than ask SPIRO, see what they tell you about me moving LINES for ANYONE PERIOD......... :+waving-5

rainbow

EOG Master

If Ken was still with us, he could really tell you how SHARP I am, so many games I told him last year that were PHONY and guess who came in and bet the backside? the one and only BW, you can't teach that to a BOOKIE...

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

To be EXACT 35YRS I've been moving lines, only 20yrs offshore without no breaks in between, like I said ask people that know this INDUSTRY, they will tell you how good I am at moving lines, if you can move lines with WISEGUYS, you can mov lines for anyone, I don't need no DONBEST SCREEN, I did it for too many years before it ever existed, ask people that have been around they will tell you how SHARP I am..... Iwish I had what GRANDE and CRIS gives away to WISEGUYS at POST, I don't FEED WISEGUYS PERIOD..

Still waiting to hear the line that you have personally told me over a hundred times...

"I forgot more about this business than you will ever know, I am the top linesmover in offshore and nobody can touch me":+textinb3

rainbow

EOG Master

Still waiting to hear the line that you have personally told me over a hundred times...

"I forgot more about this business than you will ever know, I am the top linesmover in offshore and nobody can touch me":+textinb3
I hate to say it, you know NOTHING about me in this BUSINESS, and yes I am ALOT SHARPER THAN YOU WILL EVER BE IN THIS BUSINESS, JUST ASK AROUND AND YOU WILL GET ALL THE ANSWERS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ME IN THIS BUSINESS...........

High Times

EOG Master

I hate to say it, you know NOTHING about me in this BUSINESS, and yes I am ALOT SHARPER THAN YOU WILL EVER BE IN THIS BUSINESS, JUST ASK AROUND AND YOU WILL GET ALL THE ANSWERS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ME IN THIS BUSINESS...........

I know everyone in this busniness too over the last 30 years and there are very few who know the business like you claim to know this business.

And I doubt you are 1 of them, but if you like telling people how good you are then

good for you.

No way could you impress me as I know who the sharpest of the sharps are and mostly all of them are bettors. Anybody can react to the bettors no matter how sharp they are. That is nothing special.

Winning gambling as a player is special.

rainbow

EOG Master

I know everyone in this busniness too over the last 30 years and there are very few who know the business like you claim to know this business.

And I doubt you are 1 of them, but if you like telling people how good you are then

good for you.

No way could you impress me as I know who the sharpest of the sharps are and mostly all of them are bettors. Anybody can react to the bettors no matter how sharp they are. That is nothing special.

Winning gambling as a player is special.
I could CARELESS if you BELIEVE me or not, remember one thing you NEVER get nowhere in life when you LIE about yourself... I'm not here to IMPRESS you about what I know about this BUSINESS... I speak the TRUTH PERIOD.....