What happened to the 'REAL' oldtime Bookmakers ??

Sam Odom

EOG Master
I must be getting too old and showing my age.

Side A -3 (-145)
Side B +3 (+ 125)

Aint a way a book should book!:cocktail

Hitman26

EOG Veteran
Sammy did you even know that the ml was invented long before the point spread? The point spread was invented as a way to get good heavy action on large favorites and it quickly became the preferred way to bet all games.

Sam Odom

EOG Master
For the Kids:

College FB
Army -1100
Yale + 800

Just did not get the action (volume) the books wanted. BUT

Army -21.5 (-110)
Yale + 21.5 (-110)

Was the ticket!! A jewish kid came up with the pt spread.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Offshore books can get away with $.50 juice all the time. We want to bet and we take what we can get. Many do not line shop as they could and thus books can do it with profits in mind.

Best lines are -110 each way

That is real booking

Bowmans was the pioneer inflating juice and price gouging

Horseshoe

EOG Senior Member
Ah yes, the Minneapolis Line.

P.S. It just figures that it would be Brits to inflate taxation(Bowmans), and no I'm not necessarily in agreement with BTJ on the subject of his favorite horse(face)..but love the story of the Boston Tea Party.

Without Beantowners we'd probably all be eating scones, fish and chips, bangers and mash..and where would American Dentistry be??

You would probably see most books always use -110 if buying points wasn't an option. Old time books never offered it so it was a given everything was -110.

You can get that in Vegas...all you want.

I tried telling everyone that is the "right" way to book, but no one wanted to hear it. There is a 5 page thread about it somewhere.

Books gamble now. They offer these reduced holds THAT ARE CLEARLY NOT PROFITTABLE, to get action and volume. They have traded balancing action and keeping a decent hold with heavy volme and hoping to win more than they lose. For some it works I guess since they seem to be thriving. For others it is only a matter of time before they go belly up.

As I said, all you need now to be a book maker is the Donbest screen and about a half million dollars. Take what action you dare to take and lay off the rest. Of course you can gamble more if you don't mind slow paying or citing innocuous rules and no paying guys (everyone else does it). So being a book maker isn't nearly as difficult as people like to makeit out to be.

I have been told a million times I am clueless about that side of the counter. But in reality I probably know as much if not more than most guys running the low rent shops.

The bottomline everyone needs an angle, generally the first one they use is bonuses. The second one they use is reduced vig. Not very many hold those reduced vigs as a constant, because when they do they have a hard time competing.

wizofescazu

EOG Enthusiast
Most of the old time agents wont even give their players 3 with money attached..Its always a solid 3..They dont like it, their oldtimers dont understand it, and to me its price gouging anyway..

Scotty S

EOG Addicted
If history serves me right, beginning in the mid 30's Leo Hirschfield put out the Minnesota Line. He also had a publication called The Green Sheet. Charles McNeil, a Conn bm in the 40's was the first to use the point spread. Bill Dark, an old time LV bm, was the first to use totals. I remember the first price on anything other than the big 4 sports & boxing was the 72 Olympic bkb final between USA/USSR. That doesn't have to be the first but it's the first "prop" (?) I recall.....Scotty S

rainbow

EOG Master
Ari Gold said:
You would probably see most books always use -110 if buying points wasn't an option. Old time books never offered it so it was a given everything was -110.
100% CORRECT ANSWER.