Who has played sports against current or past professionals?

Guy I used to work with used to hoop it up with Steve Nash all the time.

Back in high school I played with Ben Grieve (played for Tampa Bay, still bouncing around trying to make a name for himself somewhere) and had a bunt single and 2K's against Kerry Wood. That's my claim to fame :)

homedog

EOG Enthusiast
Played with/against:

Bo Jackson
Emmit Smith
Thurman Thomas
Barry Sanders
Brett Farve
Bobby Humprheys
Brian Mitchell
Derrick Thomas

just to name a few.

played pickup basetball with william "the refrigerator" perry in 1992. he dunked on me. yes, believe it or not, that fat tub of shit could dunk. he was fat but, his legs were solid muscle.

The Devil

EOG Master
Doubled off Rick Wise in a fantasy sports week about ten years ago.......Guess we were both in our late 40's..............

Played golf with Willie Mays, Pete Rose, Lee Trevino, Paul Hornung, LT, Eddie Arcaro and a few dozen others over the years....

blue edwards said:
played pickup basetball with william "the refrigerator" perry in 1992. he dunked on me. yes, believe it or not, that fat tub of shit could dunk. he was fat but, his legs were solid muscle.

That is hard to belive who would of thought his feet could ever leave the ground

homedog said:
Played with/against:

Bo Jackson
Emmit Smith
Thurman Thomas
Barry Sanders
Brett Farve
Bobby Humprheys
Brian Mitchell
Derrick Thomas

just to name a few.

Never heard of them

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Best I can do is I coached a kid in Little League from his age 10-12 who later ended up playing in MLB and was traded STRAIGHT UP for Eckersley when he went from A's to Cards. i KNEW he was something special and we would have won the championship the last year except he could only pitch 5 innings and the game was 7 innings long and those 2 innings were our downfall even though we lost in extra innings

AK

Paul Pierce when he and KU would scrimage against Washburn U in Topeka kansas.. Guy is a beast.

Our HS team played against Calbert Cheaney in my sophomore year. I only got to play late in the game when we were down by 25, Cheaney was already on the bench by then after scoring about 30 points. Damn, that guy could shoot the basketball!!

pags11

EOG Dedicated
played against Toby Hall in Junior College (caught for Devil Rays, played at American River College)...played against Jason Lane in J.C. (Santa Rosa CC)...also against Kip Wells when he was at Baylor...Braden Looper when he was at Wichita St...

I've played jai-alai against professional, and future pro's, but it was like 20 + years ago. I was about good enough to be a scab player if the real players where to strike again, but too young when they did.

I played with numerous amateurs that made the pro ranks in CT, but not stars, guys like Bucci, Yogi,Cruz, Auggie, etc. Cruz is a cop last I knew.

No money playing jai-alai, even for a journeyman type player, it's a 5-figure salary, not like baseball pitcher that gets millions for mediocrity.

dirty

EOG Master
Damnit....I had a long one written up and went to MLB to see if someone was still with the Phillies or traded and the damn thing froze my computer up....:frustrate

I will not write it again now....too pissed and too much to do.....will update later..:+frustrat

dirty said:
Damnit....I had a long one written up and went to MLB to see if someone was still with the Phillies or traded and the damn thing froze my computer up....:frustrate

I will not write it again now....too pissed and too much to do.....will update later..:+frustrat

who was it Dirty

dirty

EOG Master
I played against a few and coached a couple and coached against Numerous....

Coached with Jody Davis, Cris Carpenter, PHil Niekro as they all live here now....Not Jody during the season he is coaching The Cubs Class A team http://www.eog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13660&highlight=JOdy+Davis

I am lucky here as North GA is a Hotbed for Bases...and Baskets.....

I played against Dale Davis of the pistons, and Frank Thomas of the A's to name a couple....

I will rewrite the damn thing this evening.....It was a long SOB....got to start Grading contests now....:cheers

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I played a little scrimmage in the gym with Blair Kiel back in HS. The guy wasn't a great pro QB but I know he could about break your when hand trying to catch balls he threw.

dirty said:
I played against a few and coached a couple and coached against Numerous....

Coached with Jody Davis, Cris Carpenter, PHil Niekro as they all live here now....Not Jody during the season he is coaching The Cubs Class A team http://www.eog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13660&highlight=JOdy+Davis

I am lucky here as North GA is a Hotbed for Bases...and Baskets.....

I played against Dale Davis of the pistons, and Frank Thomas of the A's to name a couple....

I will rewrite the damn thing this evening.....It was a long SOB....got to start Grading contests now....:cheers

Was Frank Thomas a jerk when you played against him Dirty

dirty

EOG Master
Nah...he was a senior and I was a Freshman.....He was almost as big as he is now.....he was playing first and I went in to Pinch run for a guy (in college at that time we had courtesy runners for the catcher's in Non conf games to speed them up) and He was just a Monster...Here I was a 6' 175 pound Frosh and here he was 6'7" 245 pounds....Dugout said they couldn't even see me when I was on the base getting my sign.....He was a good Guy the couple times I was on first talking and stuff....Just a Normal guy.....he is from columbus, GA so he is a Jawja boy....But what you should have seen is the Exhibition he put on in BP....Unfriggin Real......our field was an old Minor league park Built in 1906 and is sitll being used to this day By local Teams....It was 330' down the lines, 390 in the Alleys and 430' in Center.....He was hitting them over the Lights with a Black Magic Easton Bat....

This plaque is located at Thomas L. Bell Memorial Ballpark in Americus, GA and mentions the fact that Mr. Bell hired Joe Jackson to be his field manager for the 1923 season. Thomas Bell park is one of the oldest wooden stadium ball parks in the United States.............it's something to see if you're ever in Americus. I was still playing when this dedication took place and was coaching a American Legion team when we had the ceremony. Some of his family was there...Very Nostalgic...

dirty

EOG Master
The Americus Pastime<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

In 1923 Shoeless Joe Jackson drifted through Americus, a hired gun with a bat named Black Betsy at his side. Quick and powerful, a phantom in flannels, Jackson was one of the infamous Black Sox, a dark star playing in an outlaw league. He spent five weeks with Americus, led the club to the South Georgia League championship, then was spirited away to Waycross to finish the season with the Atlantic Coastline railroad team.<o:p></o:p>
"It was one of those rare, magic moments in time, a league that lasted one season, and the great Shoeless Joe Jackson was part of it," says John Bell, Americus native and author of Shoeless Summer, the story of Jackson's stint with the unnamed Americus team.<o:p></o:p>
Jackson was banned for life from organized ball, along with seven other Chicago White Sox teammates, for conspiring to throw the 1919 World Series. He spent the remainder of his playing career in outlaw leagues, outside the jurisdiction of organized ball.<o:p></o:p>
Signed to a contract by field manager Tom Bell, a local jeweler and optician, Jackson's heroics in leading Americus to its only professional sports championship is the most famous chapter in the city's long history of pro ball. The newest chapter is also being written by an outlaw league (they're called independent leagues these days). Members of the Americus Arrows, one of six clubs in the new Southeastern League of Professional Baseball, don't share Jackson's infamy --- or his star power.<o:p></o:p>
"These guys, they're playing for love of the game, and this is their stage," says Rob Boyce, the Americus general manager. "These are guys who, for some reason, have slipped through the cracks of pro ball. This is their chance."
It must be for love of the game, especially with team salary caps well under $100,000.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Independent league baseball is what Minor League Baseball used to be before it became a mammoth merchandizing corporation, subservient to the major leagues. Independent leagues started sprouting again in earnest over the past 10 to 15 years, many of them one-year wonders like the old South Georgia League or the All-American Association (AAA), which barely survived last season. Some of the surviving teams from that league formed the Southeastern League. <o:p></o:p>
The Arrows are actually owned by the group that owns the Montgomery Wings, one of the AAA survivors. Other teams in the league are the Baton Rouge River Bats, Ozark Patriots, Pensacola Pelicans and Selma Cloverleafs.<o:p></o:p>
The Arrows are the first pro team in Americus since the Rebels of the Georgia-Florida League left town in 1951, the year Shoeless Joe died. They play in a ballpark that first opened midseason in 1938.<o:p></o:p>
"I hit the home run that almost broke the ballclub," says Ed Hartness, a member of the 1938 Americus squad who lives in Kennesaw and will be the featured speaker at the Georgia Minor League Baseball Reunion, Aug.16-17 in Moultrie. "Our business manager got the bright idea to give away season passes to any fan who picked the guy who hit the first home run in the new park. Well, I was leading the league in home runs at the time, so naturally a bunch of people picked me."
A lot of folks saw free baseball that summer in Americus. For four bucks, they can see pro baseball again in the same place Hartness christened with his bat in 1938.<o:p></o:p>
They can see local stars like Travis and Toby Rush, and Riley Israel. They can see former major league star Omar Moreno Sr. managing the team, and his son Omar Jr. playing for the team. They can see former Atlanta Brave Ivan Murrell coaching the hitters and Ali Cepeda, son of Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda, working miracles in center field.<o:p></o:p>
"I can close my eyes and still see it," says Rob Boyce, the Americus GM, recalling the Arrows' home opener on June 5, a 7-2 win over the Ozark Patriots. "I can see Ali --- I can see him throwing a strike home --- throwing the runner out! --- from deepest center field. Amazing." --- Jerry Grillo<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>http://www.georgiatrend.com/site/page1092.html</o:p>

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Played with & against Tom "Flash" Gordon, former New Mexico State & Baltimore Ravens RB Chris Barnes, & former FSU pitcher Gary Painter, who he and I also played with on Gordon's Avon Park high school team who was representing our district in state play. They had some injuries and rules allowed them to pick up players from any other team in the district to replace them.

Barnes starred at New Mexico State before being drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the 5th round. He had the talent, but slipped down the wrong path by hanging with the wrong people. Mostly played basketball with him growing up. Guy was dunking any way he desired in 8th grade!

Still see Gordon a couple times per year as we help organize, play with, & against a flag football league he helps sponsor....