Who loses more: Ed Oliver or Major Applewhite?

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
What about the dozen or so other players who are sitting? You would take all of them off your draft board?

If you want to know my opinion on the other dozen then start a thread about it.

Oliver? Correct, he wouldn't play for me.

You better get used to it, cause it's only going to get worse, more and more kids won't want to risk an injury playing for free when they're about to become a millionaire.

It doesn't affect me in the least Kane..... my interest will go about as far as it did here, an opinion on a posting board.

And yes, I agree it will become more and more prevalent as we go on.....

Society is as soft today as it's ever been, only makes sense it extends to all other areas including the football field.

Go look up Jaylon Smith and Jake Butt, both of them played in meaningless games and both hurt their draft status due to an injury, these kids are making sound business decisions.

Fear is a horrible tool in which to carve out a future. The whole thing is just so random to me......

If you add in all the NFL players that ever played and made a list of those who had a career ending injury in a bowl game the number would be miniscule.

If your school doesn't go to a bowl game, why not sit out the last regular game of the year?

Wouldn't that make sense or is there something special about a bowl game? You can blow a knee in either one.

In fact might be a good idea not to cross a street your senior season too if you have NFL talent. Or get in a car? Or lift weights.....

Hell just stay in bed until draft day, if you're going to play it safe you might as well go all out.

Sure some will pussy out and there will be those who agree with it, that's an opinion and it's their right to one......

But to me there is nothing smart about being afraid. If you're afraid to play find a new career, that would be better than protecting your draft status.

I played football and about the surest way to get hurt on the field was by playing scared. If you're scared buy a pet and go to the dog park on Sunday instead.

We move on.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
A better rule going forward for these players is not to let them on the field.

Correct. Let alone standing on the sidelines with the team wearing school colors and shoving rules up the university's ass.

You deserve to be in the stands or the press box, not down on the field with those warriors.

I said from jump street, there is a right and wrong way to do something, Oliver chose the wrong way.

I'm glad they called his punk ass out and embarrassed him.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Exactly! A coach gets a better offer from another school and he's gone, happens a lot this time of year, but god forbid a kid sit out a meaningless game to keep from injuring himself, and potentially costing himself a lot of money.

If by "meaningless" you mean he's not getting paid then every single game he's played in his entire life is meaningless up until he makes it to the NFL.

If a career ending injury has you hysterical you'd be better served blowing a tuba in band or something.....

That way you can at least walk on healthy at an NFL camp and have a chance to make it. Right?

That's what I would do if I was that petrified of being hurt. My GOD man, pick a career where that pink taco between your legs won't hurt you.

We move on.........

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Great line from McIrish.

Not that I'm necessarily a religious person but at some point maybe it isn't meant to be?

You play all the way from pee-wee to HS, from there to college , and then after a 4 year career the very last game of your senior season you sit out to prevent injury?

Rail is right, I don't care if you go to the NFL or not that bowl game is one you will never forget. The trip, the last time with the men you played the game with......

And you chose to wave the white flag and surrender in fear of being hurt? Wow!

Yes, it's their right, I just disagree. I'd hate to be lined up next to him at the next level with his contract up, is he going to play all out or protect himself and get me hurt instead?

The number of players in the NFL that made it safely through the last game of their college career should be very soothing for talented players going to the next level.

Live life to protect yourself from outliers? Not much of a life....

I'm dead serious when I say you probably should look at a new career.

I used to play pick up hoops with the Tampa Bay Bandits, not NFL but professional football players,. to a man all of them said they didn't think about injuries during, before or after games.

To have young kids growing up groomed on protecting themselves and being safe I can't wait to see what the game is like in 25 years.....

No wonder they're already wearing skirts on Sunday.

kane

EOG master
Nick Bosa of OSU got injured early this year and only played in three games, after he got healthy he decided to sit out the rest of the season, some have him projected as the first player picked in the draft, here's a quote from his brother who plays for the Chargers. "You have to understand that this is a business and he has to take care of himself, do what's smart for him. If anyone had the opportunity to hit the lottery tomorrow, would anyone risk that? He has that opportunity."

Pat, I understand where you're coming from, and you make some valid points, but the bottom line is college football is a big business and coaches make choices that they feel are what's best for them by leaving for a higher paying job, and the kids are now making those type of choices by not potentially ruining a big pay day. Of course the number of athletes that get hurt in their last game is slim, but it is something that does happen, and I'll never blame any of them for doing what they feel is best for their career long term. It's a controversial issue and I can see things from both sides, but I'll never blame a kid for hanging on to that lottery ticket and not risk losing it

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
One thing I find laughable by the people who think the education is enough payment - you tell Saban that you cant make it to class because of a mandatory lab. That scholarship is worthless if you can't use it in a field that makes you a productive citizen after football. The world has enough personal trainers. Also that scholarship costs the school nothing.

kane

EOG master
Justin Herbert and Will Grier are expected to go high in the draft, Herbert might be the first QB taken, Herbert is playing in his team's bowl and Grier isn't, I can respect both of their choices. We all saw what happened to McKenzie Milton, if something like that happens to Herbert, it's like having a lottery ticket and losing it, all that money gone in an instant, but it's his choice to make, hopefully nothing like that happens, but he is taking a risk by playing.

Olivers season reminds me of Clowneys JR season. It wouldn't surprise me to see Oliver have a similar career of underachieving

That is not the Alabama way. Football is a religion in that state. Kid that sat out if healthy, would fear for his life.

It won't happen for a long time but if Bama were to play in a lower tiered bowl they'd have 80% of their draft eligible roster sitting out. It's not a Bama issue it's an issue of players suiting up for a game with major implications

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It won't happen for a long time but if Bama were to play in a lower tiered bowl they'd have 80% of their draft eligible roster sitting out. It's not a Bama issue it's an issue of players suiting up for a game with major implications
This. I remember people saying no one will every leave Duke early also, now they all do.

kane

EOG master
We know Oliver won't be returning to Houston, the question now is will Applewhite, after today's embarrassment

kane

EOG master
Some offensive lineman for Michigan said he's sitting out to get ready for the draft, that's 4 starters sitting out their game against Fla. At this point I'm starting to wonder if the team even wants to play, that beatdown in Columbus might have taken the heart out of them

Some offensive lineman for Michigan said he's sitting out to get ready for the draft, that's 4 starters sitting out their game against Fla. At this point I'm starting to wonder if the team even wants to play, that beatdown in Columbus might have taken the heart out of them

Excellent point on the OSU game-think you may be right