WNBA 2020

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Players and staff from 11 of the 12 WNBA teams will arrive today at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

The Indiana Fever are set to arrive this Friday.

Let's go.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Seven of 137 players have tested positive for coronavirus.

Tests were conducted last week.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Cambage not playing for Vegas effective ends any chance they may have had to win it all

Chiney Ogwumike not playing for LA massively HELPS them because the clubhouse cancer she is will no longer be there. She should be very thankful she has an ESPN paycheck to count on or else her life would be completely different

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good call, Wink.

Las Vegas not only loses Cambage but also Kelsey Plum (Achilles) this season.

One other note: Connecticut knew what it was doing when they traded Chiney in 2019.

Never liked her game.

Nneka, on the other hand, is a star.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Winky was spot-on by fading the talents of Katie Lou Samuelson.

The Chicago Sky wasted the fourth overall pick of the 2019 WNBA Draft on Katie Lou.

Credit the Sky, however.

They auto-corrected by trading Samuelson and next season's first-round draft pick to the Dallas Wings for underrated Azura Stevens.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Winky was spot-on by fading the talents of Katie Lou Samuelson.

The Chicago Sky wasted the fourth overall pick of the 2019 WNBA Draft on Katie Lou.

Credit the Sky, however.

They auto-corrected by trading Samuelson and next season's first-round draft pick to the Dallas Wings for underrated Azura Stevens.

I got to see her in HS. She dominated weak teams but failed to show up against top-notch teams. She also travels EVERY SINGLE TIME she shoots. Next time she shoots watch her take a "bunny hop". THAT IS TRAVELLING! I did the Mater Dei Girls scrimmages her Jr and Sr years. I lost track of the number of times I called her for taking the bunny hop. I know it was at least 5 times. Her father (who I saw play for us at CSUF) was so mad I could see the veins in his neck bulging with anger. "Lou" has never been on the court for her HS/College team winning any kind of title. She would have been her Freshman year when UConn went undefeated but she missed the game with a foot injury.

I actually think she might have a good season this year. Her older sister (by 2 years) Karlie is on the team and I think that will greatly help her out. Especially in the bubble. I root for her but root for her and she will do well are 2 different things.

Sky was stupid taking her #4 and passing on her UConn teammate Napheesa Collier. Collier is an beast! She is tough, phsyical and not afraid to go down low and mix it up. Lou is tall but has no muscle. She is an attractive tall blonde. She could very easily be a model. She is toilet paper soft. Sky drafted her to try and replace EDD. Both Lou and EDD and tall, Blonde and White. The similarity ends there. EDD will reach down your throat, rip your heart out and eat it in front of you. Katie Lou will try and reach down your throat but have you slap it away and then she will cry. Getting a 1st round pick back for Katie Lou - great deal for Chicago. Getting a "Ham Sandwich" would have been good (Just NO Mayo - Mayo doesn't have any place on a sandwich. Or burger. Or ANYTHING)

It wouldn't shock me if Washington went B2B although don't forget about the Champs one year earlier. If Stewart really is healthy I can see them being right there at the end. Sue Bird doesn't have many miles left in the tank but she should be able to give it one last go

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good handicap again, Wink.

I love Napheesa Collier.

She makes everyone around her better.

Washington back-to-back?

Hmmm....

The absence of Kristi Toliver (traded to L.A.) will hurt the Mystics.

However, Washington will boast the best frontline in the WNBA.

Shades of Bird, McHale and Parish with Delle Donne, Meesseman and Charles.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Laimbeer needs to whip his bitches into shape. no i in team.

Laimbeer's gone soft over the past few seasons.

I liked his hard-ass approach when he led the Detroit Shock to three titles (2003, 2006 and 2008) over six seasons.

Like Geno Auriemma, Laimbeer treats his ladies like men and the tough girls survive and thrive under that tough leadership.

Heim

EOG Master
Good call, Wink.

Las Vegas not only loses Cambage but also Kelsey Plum (Achilles) this season.

One other note: Connecticut knew what it was doing when they traded Chiney in 2019.

Never liked her game.

Nneka, on the other hand, is a star.

Plum is addition by subtraction.....hard to believe she's all-time leading scorer in college female hoops.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Left-handed gunner.

She did perform well in the 2019 WNBA postseason.

The Achilles injury will be difficult to overcome though her game is not really based on great athleticism.

My least-favorite Las Vegas guard is Jackie Young.

Both Plum and Young were the top overall picks in their respective drafts.

Plum went #1 in 2017 and Young went #1 in 2019.

Two extremely weak draft classes.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The defending WNBA champs could be short-handed for a second straight season.

Last season, Seattle played without Sue Bird and Breanna Stewart.

WNBA champions have not repeated in the league since the 2002 season.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
The Delle Donne issue is huge for the league. I don't think she's opting out if she's not more susceptible to catching Covid with Lyme. They're forcing her to play just to save from paying her if she was health exempt!?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
The Delle Donne issue is huge for the league. I don't think she's opting out if she's not more susceptible to catching Covid with Lyme. They're forcing her to play just to save from paying her if she was health exempt!?

Looks like Mystics ownership got tired of all of the well-deserved criticism they were getting and said they will pay her salary. That salary is about $250,000. That is seat cushion money for Ted Leonsis. She is the best player in the league. No arguing that. Knowing how little it costs them and the crap they have been getting and would have gotten it is the right move to make.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Took a cheap flight from Las Vegas to Tampa to check out the scene in Bradenton, Florida.

I expect to find some winning WNBA sides this coming weekend.

Already lean to Indiana over Washington on the first day of the season.

Anything more than 6 points is a take.

railbird

EOG Master
Took a cheap flight from Las Vegas to Tampa to check out the scene in Bradenton, Florida.

I expect to find some winning WNBA sides this coming weekend.

Already lean to Indiana over Washington on the first day of the season.

Anything more than 6 points is a take.
Can u sneak into the bubble?

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Looks like Mystics ownership got tired of all of the well-deserved criticism they were getting and said they will pay her salary. That salary is about $250,000. That is seat cushion money for Ted Leonsis. She is the best player in the league. No arguing that. Knowing how little it costs them and the crap they have been getting and would have gotten it is the right move to make.

I wonder why there aren't more female owners in this league.

Plenty of women have "F-U" money to get in on this cash cow.

This would seem like the "movement" would be pushing for more female owners and pressing for this change.

I wonder why this isn't happening.

I only see that the Atlanta Dream is the only all-female ownership group in the league. Is this correct today?

#FollowTheMoney

choslamshe

EOG Master
JK and everyone else. What do you like from these player props for this Sat's slate?

Points are as follows:

Point = 1 point
Rebound = 1.2 points
Assist = 1.5 points
Block = 3 points
Steal = 3 points
Turnover = -1 point

Natasha Howard
Storm - F
Jul 25 at 11:00AM ET vs New York
Proj Score:

Sabrina Ionescu
Liberty - G
Jul 25 at 11:00AM ET vs Seattle
Proj Score:

Jewell Loyd
Storm - G
Jul 25 at 11:00AM ET vs New York
Proj Score:

Amanda Zahui B
Liberty - C
Jul 25 at 11:00AM ET vs Seattle
Proj Score:

Nneka Ogwumike
Sparks - F
Jul 25 at 02:00PM ET vs Phoenix
Proj Score:

Brittney Griner
Mercury - C
Jul 25 at 02:00PM ET vs Los Angeles
Proj Score:

Candace Parker
Sparks - F
Proj Score:

Skylar Diggins-Smith
Mercury - G
Proj Score:

Chelsea Gray
Sparks - G
Proj Score:

Diana Taurasi
Mercury - G
Proj Score:

Ariel Atkins
Mystics - G
Jul 25 at 04:00PM ET vs Indiana
Proj Score:

Erica Wheeler
Fever - G
Jul 25 at 04:00PM ET vs Washington
Proj Score:

Leilani Mitchell
Mystics - G
Proj Score:

Candice Dupree
Fever - F
Proj Score:

Emma Meesseman
Mystics - F
Proj Score:

Kelsey Mitchell
Fever - G
Proj Score:

choslamshe

EOG Master
With Elena out, Messeman seems like an easy over if she can find a way to must 2-3 steals/blocks. Sheer volume of shots taken for her in this game should get her there....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With Elena out, Messeman seems like an easy over if she can find a way to must 2-3 steals/blocks. Sheer volume of shots taken for her in this game should get her there....

As a gambler, I've never focused on individual stats in team games.

In trying to dope out pointspread winners over the years, I usually think about team accomplishments, not individual stats.

One fear of betting any prop OVER is playing time/fitness levels in these crazy times.

I'll be focused on the ladies' fitness over the opening weekend.

Most will be in excellent shape but there will be some sloppy players (think Rachel Banham or Stephanie Dolson) who struggle with their weight.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I wonder why there aren't more female owners in this league.

Plenty of women have "F-U" money to get in on this cash cow.

This would seem like the "movement" would be pushing for more female owners and pressing for this change.

I wonder why this isn't happening.

I only see that the Atlanta Dream is the only all-female ownership group in the league. Is this correct today?

#FollowTheMoney

Good point, Sporty.

Where's Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Billie Jean King, Serena Williams, Gloria Allred, Lisa Bloom and dare I say, Hillary Clinton?

And where are the black female head coaches in the WNBA?

There are 12 jobs in the WNBA and not one black female head coach.

Don't get me wrong.

I believe in the best man (or woman) for the job, regardless of skin color.

But you would think with the WNBA's progressive positions, they would at least practice what they preach.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Can u sneak into the bubble?

Back in Bradenton early next week.

No success yet in breaking into the bubble.

Currently in Daytona Beach near Daytona International Speedway.

Huge complex considered hallowed grounds by auto racing enthusiasts.

Interestingly, HBCU's Bethune-Cookman not far away.

Last edited:

choslamshe

EOG Master
I'm excited to see Ionescu's debut. Think she will emerge as a star.

That said, it is likely going to be a very ugly debut for her team against the lone powerhouse in the Storm. Everyone is healthy, so much depth at all positions.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The WNBA did it right.

Bird v Ionescu to open the season.

If Bird doesn't get the best of Ionescu this season, she never will.

Like Cho, I love Ionescu's game.

She's a smart point guard who competes hard.

Hard to bet against her.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Interesting quote from Sue Bird on the Bradenton bubble, compliments of the Orlando Sentinel:

“The bubble is part summer camp, mixed in with the Olympic village, playing overseas and an AAU tournament with a little bit of college life thrown in,” Bird said in a phone interview.

choslamshe

EOG Master
OMG Storm open up as only 5.5 favorites. WTF are they thinking?

I expected it to open up closer to DD and then move beyond that.

WNBA GOY first game slated in the season hahhahaha.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
OMG Storm open up as only 5.5 favorites. WTF are they thinking?

I expected it to open up closer to DD and then move beyond that.

WNBA GOY first game slated in the season hahhahaha.

The Liberty took money in some WNBA future-book pools, too.

Ionescu could be really good.

Seven rookies on the Liberty make for an interesting experiment.

New head coach as well.