Words used by announcers to describe a "meaningless" score at the end of a game

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
With the popularity of in-game wagering exploding, every point matters to someone somewhere.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
NO ONE can forget Jim Nantz and...............................................

Perhaps more commonly, there are those who still curse Chris Duhon for a banking in a 40-foot 3-pointer at the buzzer of a 2004 Final Four loss to Connecticut. Play-by-play man Jim Nantz infamously declared, “it doesn’t matter,” oblivious to the fact that millions of dollars had changed hands with the shot leading to Duke covering the 2-point spread in a 79-78 loss.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
"Renegade bucket to add to the stat sheet"
"That score beared some significance for some, although doesn't have an impact on the victor of the contest" (Buck)

jimmythegreek

"We're well into extensive garbage time, though I'm sure those for those extra-cirricular interests outside the final outcome remain well tuned in. (Marv)

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The first six posts in this thread all could have, easily, been in one post. Why make six posts when one would do just fine?

Someone should educate basketball announcers how often end of game fouling keeps totals bettors on the edge of their seat doing crazy math in their heads. That stuff has pissed me off so many times I rarely watch the end of games anymore.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Someone should educate basketball announcers how often end of game fouling keeps totals bettors on the edge of their seat doing crazy math in their heads. That stuff has pissed me off so many times I rarely watch the end of games anymore.

I wish basketball box scores would include the score of the game with two minutes left and one minute remaining.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Yowza!

Love the long-range heaves from NBA players.

It shows their freakish strength and athletic ability.

The common man would not come close with those shots and yet NBA players usually give it a good go.

WNBA players, by the way, have little or no chance from beyond midcourt.

Yowza!

The common man would not come close with those shots and yet NBA players usually give it a good go.

You can see that from watching free throws. Most of us commoners need to put some effort into them, the pros its nothing more than flicking the wrists and flexing the elbows.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
The first six posts in this thread all could have, easily, been in one post. Why make six posts when one would do just fine?

JK, is working hard to get to 100K posts. i liked it. Kind of gave it some drama as to the next word. then again i am easily amused.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
NO ONE can forget Jim Nantz and...............................................

Perhaps more commonly, there are those who still curse Chris Duhon for a banking in a 40-foot 3-pointer at the buzzer of a 2004 Final Four loss to Connecticut. Play-by-play man Jim Nantz infamously declared, “it doesn’t matter,” oblivious to the fact that millions of dollars had changed hands with the shot leading to Duke covering the 2-point spread in a 79-78 loss.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab...uconn-duke-chris-duhon-15-years-darren-rovell

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Yowza!

NBA guys hate taking these shots.

It kills their FG% and it seems that many have bonuses based on shooting percentages.

That's why you will see a guy take an extra dribble to make sure his attempt is going to be after the buzzer.

If he makes it he gets on sportscenter but his fg % stays the same.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Brent Musberger and Al Michaels were the first to coyly hint at the betting relevance of meaningless last-second blowout scoring.

"That shot may or may not have mattered to some folks" was Al Michaels' line.

jimmythegreek

Not like these bench warmers are going to be in the top 10 in any respective categories. They'd just prefer to crack the stat sheet. Look at Portland last night. Trailed by 20-30 points almost all night but the reserves actually competed when they got their minutes so you can appreciate who put in the effort on the score sheet even in window dressing time.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
This is an all-time classic. Love the fact even Cris Collinsworth knows why the last play of this game was not so "meaningless"