TIME FOR A CIVIL DEBATE...FIRST ISSUE...ABORTION

Re: TIME FOR A CIVIL DEBATE...FIRST ISSUE...ABORTION

This is a difficult issue to deal with because the opposite sides won't or can't acknowledge that the other side's position does have some merit. The more strident amongst the pro-choice side will not admit that aborting a fetus at or past seven months involves a serious ethical and moral dilemma, as that fetus is very nearly a person to any reasonable observer.
The the more radical amongst the anti-choice crowd can't or won't acknowledge that in the early stages of pregnancy, we are dealing with nothing more than a clump of tissue that has the possibility of becoming a person at some point in the future. Additionally, many, including myself, suspect the motives of some of the anti-choice crowd; I believe that some are actually using the issue to dis-empower women; after all, if one can assert governmental control over a woman's reproductive system, it is much easier to relegate that woman to a more subservient position vis-a-vis men. I also believe that another component of the anti-choice crowd do not like modern society's moral position regarding sexuality; and that by forcing women to carry all pregnancies to full term, promiscuity can somehow be curtailed.
My suspicions regarding the motives set forth above--that some of the anti-choice crowd care little about the life of the fetus, and have other agendas--is supported by the fact that some of that crowd cares little about human life in other situations.
With all that being said, I think the most workable position is one loosely based on the trimester system as described in Roe. Thus, in the first six months, abortion on demand, no questions asked whatsoever. At month seven, abortion only in the case of incest, rape, or to preserve the health of the mother. At months eight and nine, only in the case of incest, rape, or to save the life of the mother.
Another argument in preserving the legality of abortion is the fact that it will never go away, no matter how severe the penalty is. Were it to be outlawed, we would merely be creating another class of criminals. We have the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world; we don't need to feed the monster by creating another class of people to lock up.
Additionally, the specter of girls dying in alleys with bloody coathangers nearby has a basis in historical fact; I do not want the government causing a return to such a spectacle in my name.
I realize that I might have strayed from my usual Libertarian-constitutional stance of keep your government out of my business, but I have this nagging thought that the more developed fetus of months seven, eight and nine might be far enough along to deserve some form of legal protection; though pure viability of the fetus is not controlling in my opinion.
On a somewhat tangential note, I think the continued right to abortion is more strongly supported by an equal protection argument, rather than the right to privacy argument. Justice Ginsburg's dissent this week in Carhart eloquently sets forth the equal protection position, which may be more palatable to those who consider themselves strict constitutional constructionists.

<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">

completely ludicrous comments..lumping all together and that is nuts..

your views oh how you stand are your choice but you cannot seriously say all anti abortion people want to blow up clinics
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
The anti abortion crowd is full of it. They will kill doctors and nurses
to stop an abortion. Thats real smart.
I could go on but it would just make your case even weaker.
There is not one statement in any thread where I said all anti abortion
people want to blow up clinics.
I said that they kill doctors and nurses that applies to the group but
only the individuals that actually do the deal are charged. But yet
when the killers & bombers go on trial you find the anti abortion
supporters at the trial showing support.
That just never will make sense and you can't logically defend it.

4625 you have again proven to be one of the few intelligent and rational beings in this forum. you and a few others are the reason i stick around.

but a question for you - morals aside, isn't it more a question of whether we want our prisons more crowded and our streets less safe?
repeal abortion and that's exactly what we have.

and you made a great point that most don't realize about our per capita imprisonment rates. if all the germans, russians, arabs, etc that we are brainwashed into thinking are so rotten that we have to destroy them and we are so good as a people then why do we have more "criminals" than any other country?
i thought only those nasty ay-rabs wanted to do bad things lol.

Thanks, MM. One reason that we have so many "criminals" is that we have so many laws. As I've stated before, every time a legislative body meets, it produces more criminal laws. When you create more criminal laws, you necessarily create more "criminals." This trend is exacerbated by our politicians who are looking for a sound bite reflecting how "tuff on crime" they are, which is an easy target for votes.
I really don't foresee in the near term any serious legal impediments to abortion availability for a pregnancy that is less than six months along. Contrary to what the thumpers want to believe, a very strong majority of Americans favor a woman's right to abortion early in the pregnancy. The last figure that I saw was approximately 68% in favor of.
What this means in effect is that even if Roe is reversed, the issue returns to the state legislatures, where the majority I mentioned above will be able to pass laws allowing abortion. I'm not too sure that the relationship between unwanted children--who would otherwise have been aborted--and an increase in crime as they come of age, is one that is direct enough to be objectively shown. I haven't read the book that you mentioned, however.

dirty

EOG Master

This is a difficult issue to deal with because the opposite sides won't or can't acknowledge that the other side's position does have some merit. The more strident amongst the pro-choice side will not admit that aborting a fetus at or past seven months involves a serious ethical and moral dilemma, as that fetus is very nearly a person to any reasonable observer.
The the more radical amongst the anti-choice crowd can't or won't acknowledge that in the early stages of pregnancy, we are dealing with nothing more than a clump of tissue that has the possibility of becoming a person at some point in the future. Additionally, many, including myself, suspect the motives of some of the anti-choice crowd; I believe that some are actually using the issue to dis-empower women; after all, if one can assert governmental control over a woman's reproductive system, it is much easier to relegate that woman to a more subservient position vis-a-vis men. I also believe that another component of the anti-choice crowd do not like modern society's moral position regarding sexuality; and that by forcing women to carry all pregnancies to full term, promiscuity can somehow be curtailed.
My suspicions regarding the motives set forth above--that some of the anti-choice crowd care little about the life of the fetus, and have other agendas--is supported by the fact that some of that crowd cares little about human life in other situations.
With all that being said, I think the most workable position is one loosely based on the trimester system as described in Roe. Thus, in the first six months, abortion on demand, no questions asked whatsoever. At month seven, abortion only in the case of incest, rape, or to preserve the health of the mother. At months eight and nine, only in the case of incest, rape, or to save the life of the mother.
Another argument in preserving the legality of abortion is the fact that it will never go away, no matter how severe the penalty is. Were it to be outlawed, we would merely be creating another class of criminals. We have the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world; we don't need to feed the monster by creating another class of people to lock up.
Additionally, the specter of girls dying in alleys with bloody coathangers nearby has a basis in historical fact; I do not want the government causing a return to such a spectacle in my name.
I realize that I might have strayed from my usual Libertarian-constitutional stance of keep your government out of my business, but I have this nagging thought that the more developed fetus of months seven, eight and nine might be far enough along to deserve some form of legal protection; though pure viability of the fetus is not controlling in my opinion.
On a somewhat tangential note, I think the continued right to abortion is more strongly supported by an equal protection argument, rather than the right to privacy argument. Justice Ginsburg's dissent this week in Carhart eloquently sets forth the equal protection position, which may be more palatable to those who consider themselves strict constitutional constructionists.

Thanks, MM. One reason that we have so many "criminals" is that we have so many laws. As I've stated before, every time a legislative body meets, it produces more criminal laws. When you create more criminal laws, you necessarily create more "criminals." This trend is exacerbated by our politicians who are looking for a sound bite reflecting how "tuff on crime" they are, which is an easy target for votes.
I really don't foresee in the near term any serious legal impediments to abortion availability for a pregnancy that is less than six months along. Contrary to what the thumpers want to believe, a very strong majority of Americans favor a woman's right to abortion early in the pregnancy. The last figure that I saw was approximately 68% in favor of.
What this means in effect is that even if Roe is reversed, the issue returns to the state legislatures, where the majority I mentioned above will be able to pass laws allowing abortion. I'm not too sure that the relationship between unwanted children--who would otherwise have been aborted--and an increase in crime as they come of age, is one that is direct enough to be objectively shown. I haven't read the book that you mentioned, however.

2 very good posts... I am a Libertarian as well, but a Fiscal Conservative, which all Libertarians should be if they want less Government and More Individual and State Freedoms. I am socially Liberal. To each their own. A woman has the right to choose, but I believe it has to be in the first TriMester unless The woman's Health is in Danger or the Baby is in Danger. We have seen many times where emergency C-Sections have been performed on babies 5-6 months old who have survived and had healthy lives. I believe anything after the 3rd Month you get into a situation where with today's Medical Advances that they can make it in a Incubator while their Lungs develop.

99% of all people I do believe know they are pregnant by the end of the first Trimester.

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I am sure that people on both sides have agendas but not the MAJORITY.
I am also against those people that blow up abortion clinics or shoot the doctors and nurses....they should be punished as well.....

my point is...many people use abortion as a emergency birth control....in fact I would say 90"% of abortions are just that....people make a mistake...get pregnant and don't want the responsibility....why not give it up for adoption...tens of thousands on waiting lists to adopt children but no children to adopt...

no one wants to be able to tell women what to do with their bodies except some radicals...my stance would be that I am protecting the unborn child and looking out for its best interests since the mother cannot.

simply put IMHO....Abortion in Murder
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">

simply put IMHO....Abortion in Murder
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Unfortunately, and no matter how fervently we wish it weren't so, life is often not simple. . . .

dirty

EOG Master

I understand there are People on waiting lists to adopt, and it is not because of the lack of Children. It is because of all the damn Government Regulations and the cost of being approved to adopt. My aunt and Uncle can't have kids, so they went the adoption route. It cost them 4 years and $15k to be able to get their One son. Only people with Money can adopt. That is why Foster Homes are Chock full of Kids that no one can have. It is not because the people don't want them, it is government policies.

I understand you have to have background checks, and all that good stuff so Pedophiles and shit don't get the kids, but comeon. Most of these people are good hardworking folks and my Uncle told me that they told him over Half of the people that apply don't get approved, or drop out because of the lengthy Bullshit process. You have to show making so much a year, been at the same job so long, etc.... total waste of time, MOney and resources while those kids have to live in Foster Homes

exactly dirty.
the pro-lifers always want to point out the waiting lists for adoption and how families have to go to china or elsewhere out of the country for kids.
that is a result of a barbaric government system that would rather see kids in crony-run foster homes or crony-run individual homes.
the lady that lived kitty-corner to me had 8 (eight!) kids and was getting paid something like $600/month for each. those kids were being neglected and she was a nutjob who only got the "privilege" of raising them because her ex was in charge of them and would rather pay her alimony out of government funds than his own pocket.

i only found this stuff out because it was amazing to me that she could have eight perfectly decent children while better families (imho) had to wait years just for one and had to PAY rather than receive money for it.

dirty

EOG Master

YOu got it Mike. The Government will pay each Foster Family up to $800 a kid if they are on a approved Foster List. They don't give a damn. My Mom used to work the the Gainesville Citizens Advocacy and helped find troubled and disabled Kids homes, and disabled Adults jobs and dealt with complaints. She was #2 in charge there for 5 years and finally quit because ONce these kids got in these Homes there was little that could be done. GCA was a Non Profit Group and when they dealt with Government Agencies they were shut out because the Government didn't want outside companies to get involved. Almost impossible to help these families and get anything done

dirty

EOG Master

Also Mathew, my Nephew that they adopted is 9 (or soon to be) now, and it took them almost 5 years to get approved. They were in their early 40's when they got approved and started getting the ball rolling while still trying while they were both in their Mid 30's. It is not a Process you just wake up and decide you want to go down the the Foster home or get on a list for newborns and pick them up when they are born. It is a time consuming bullshit lengthy process. And why is it that you have to make $60k a year or whatever it is now to be able to adopt. Why can't a family making $45 a year with good finances Etc not be good parents. Where do you draw the line and why the hell should the government even be involved in the process of deciding who will be a good parent. Money does not make you a good parent. I know Great parents where both of them only make $20k a year ($40k Combined). It is about Love and caring not making $100k

The Devil

EOG Master

Forgiveness only comes from God. If I repent to God and ask forgiveness, He surely forgives.

Checkout the difference between Islam and Christianity
Islam Cracks The Code

ZZ, ABORTED FETUSES, IF THEY HAVE A SOUL WOULD GO TO LIMBO....

JAY CAN YOU GIVE ME A PHONE NUMBER FOR GOD THAT I CAN USE......SEEMS YOU TALK TO HIM.........TELL ME JAY, DO YOU GET ANSWERS DIRECTLY OR SOMETHING ON A YOUTUBE???

"JAY??? THIS IS GOD......I MADE A YOUTUBE FOR YOU, WATCH IT AND SEE I FORGAVE YOUR SINS........

The Devil

EOG Master

I CAN AGREE WITH A LOT OF WHAT WAS SAID....AS FAR AS ALLOWING ABORTIONS FOR THE FIRST 3-4 MONTHS.......AFTER THAT IT PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED.......

AND FOR THOSE THAT DON'T KNOW....3 OF MY 6 GRANDKIDS WERE ADOPTED AT BIRTH......AND POSSIBLY I WOULDN'T HAVE ONE OF THOSE PRECIOUS GEMS.......BUT I STILL FEEL THE MOTHER THAT DOES THE CARRYING SHOULD HAVE SOME KIND OF CHOICE......

Seems like the forum opinions roughly reflect the American electorate. It looks like representatives from across the political spectrum here believe that women should have an unfettered choice during early term of the pregnancy, with increasing unease with abortion as the pregnancy enters the middle and late term. There are of course a few outliers here, what with the abortion = murder thingy, but that also reflects American society at large.

Last edited:

world traveler

EOG Addicted

i say keep roe v. wade on the books not because i necessarily agree with abortion but that i think it a procedure that needs to be tightly regulated. History shows time and time again that outright banning of a once legal practice does not stop it, it just forces it underground. Now, regardless of your position on abortion i think we can all agree that an abortion done in a clinic under regulated guidelines is way better than any back ally doc with a suspended license.
Additionally i am not so convinced that just because a man doesn't carry the baby therefore he forfeits his rights as to the future of the fetus. The girl didn't get pregnant by herself, sure she gives birth by herself but the conception take two to tango therefore i feel that we men do in fact have a right to have our opinion heard.

jay28

EOG Dedicated

U.S. Teenage Pregnancy Rate Drops For 10th Straight Year<!--mstheme-->

Note: These are the most current (2/19/04) statistics available (there is a considerable delay with the collection of Abortion Statistics.)

In 2000, 83.6 in 1,000 women aged 15-19 became pregnant-a 28% decline from 1990, when the teenage pregnancy rate reached a high of 116.9 per 1,000 women. Declines also took place among all racial and ethnic groups and in every state in 2000. The teenage birth and abortion rates also declined between 1990 and 2000. (Pregnancies are calculated as the sum of births, miscarriages (including stillbirths) and abortions.) Teenage pregnancy rates in 2000 varied widely by state, ranging from 42 pregnancies per 1,000 women aged 15-19 in North Dakota to 113 per 1,000 in Nevada. The rate in the District of Columbia was 128 per 1,000. Declines also occurred among adolescents in all racial and ethnic groups. The pregnancy rate among black women aged 15-19 declined 32% between 1990 and 2000 to 153 per 1,000 women; among white teenagers it declined 28% to 71 per 1,000. The rate among Hispanic teenagers fell 15% from 1992-2000 (following a brief increase from 1990-1992) to 139 per 1,000. Previous research suggests that both declines in sexual activity and increased use of more effective contraceptives are responsible for the continued declines in teenage pregnancy. One report found that about 25% of the decline in teenage pregnancy between 1988 and 1995 was due to decreased sexual activity, while 75% was due to more effective contraceptive practice.

source: The Alan Guttmacher Institute, February 19, 2004

Number of Abortions Performed in the United States <!--mstheme-->

<center><!--mstheme--> <table border="0" cellpadding="2" width="470"> <tbody><tr> <td width="464"><!--mstheme--> (AGI) (CDC)
1973 744,600 615,831
1974 898,600 763,476
1975 1,034,200 854,853
1976 1,179,300 988,267
1977 1,316,700 1,079,430
1978 1,409,600 1,157,776
1979 1,497,700 1,251,921
1980 1,553,900 1,297,606
1981 1,577,300 1,300,760
1982 1,573,900 1,303,980
1983 1,575,000 1,268,987
1984 1,577,200 1,333,521
1985 1,588,600 1,328,570
1986 1,574,000 1,328,112
1987 1,559,100 1,353,671
1988 1,590,800 1,371,285
1989 1,566,900 1,396,658
1990 1,608,600 1,429,577
1991 1,556,500 1,388,937
1992 1,528,900 1.359,145
1993 1,500,000 1,330,414
1994 1,431,000 1,267,415
1995 1,363,690 1,210,883
1996 1,365,730 1,221,585
1997 1,365,730 1,186,039
1998 1,365,730 884,273*
1999 1,365,730 861,789*
2000 1,312,990 857,475**
2001 1,303,000& 853,485**
2002 1,293,000&
2003 1,293,000&&
2004 1,293,000&&
</td></tr></tbody></table></center>​

Abortion Statistics by U.S. State, Race, Age and Worldwide Statistics

jay28

EOG Dedicated

Abortions per state<!--mstheme-->

<small>(AP) - Number of abortions per state in 1996, with the rate per 1,000 women: </small>
<center><!--mstheme--><table border="0" cellpadding="2" width="437"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="232"><!--mstheme-->
  • <small>Alabama 13,826, 14</small>
  • <small>Alaska 2,139, 15 </small>
  • <small>Arizona 11,016, 11 </small>
  • <small>Arkansas 5,882, 11 </small>
  • <small>California 280,180, 39 </small>
  • <small>Colorado 9,710, 11 </small>
  • <small>Connecticut 14,094, 20 </small>
  • <small>Delaware 4,482, 26 </small>
  • <small>District of Columbia 13,674, NA </small>
  • <small>Florida 80,040, 27 </small>
  • <small>Georgia 35,790, 20 </small>
  • <small>Hawaii 4,916, 19 </small>
  • <small>Idaho 1,022, 4 </small>
  • <small>Illinois 53,613, 20 </small>
  • <small>Indiana 13,341, 10 </small>
  • <small>Iowa 7,602, 12 </small>
  • <small>Kansas 10,685, 19 </small>
  • <small>Kentucky 7,000, 8 </small>
  • <small>Louisiana 11,865, 12 </small>
  • <small>Maine 2,615, 9 </small>
  • <small>Maryland 12,363, 10 </small>
  • <small>Massachusetts 29,293, 21 </small>
  • <small>Michigan 30,208, 14 </small>
  • <small>Minnesota 14,193, 13 </small>
  • <small>Mississippi 4,206, 7 </small>
  • <small>Missouri 11,629, 10 </small>
<!--mstheme-->
</td> <td valign="top" width="193"><!--mstheme-->
  • <small>Montana 2,763, 15</small>
  • <small>Nebraska 5,214, 14 </small>
  • <small>Nevada 6,965, 20 </small>
  • <small>New Hampshire 2,300, 8 </small>
  • <small>New Jersey 31,860, 18 </small>
  • <small>New Mexico 5,033, 13 </small>
  • <small>New York 152,991, 37 </small>
  • <small>North Carolina 33,554, 20 </small>
  • <small>North Dakota 1,291, 9 </small>
  • <small>Ohio 36,530, 15 </small>
  • <small>Oklahoma 6,769, 10 </small>
  • <small>Oregon 13,767, 20 </small>
  • <small>Pennsylvania 38,004, 15 </small>
  • <small>Rhode Island 5,437, 24 </small>
  • <small>South Carolina 9,326, 11 </small>
  • <small>South Dakota 901, 6 </small>
  • <small>Tennessee 17,989, 15 </small>
  • <small>Texas 91,470, 21 </small>
  • <small>Utah 3,639, 8 </small>
  • <small>Vermont 2,139, 16 </small>
  • <small>Virginia 25,770, 16 </small>
  • <small>Washington 26,138, 21 </small>
  • <small>West Virginia 2,470, 6 </small>
  • <small>Wisconsin 13,673, 12 </small>
  • <small>Wyoming 208, 2 </small>
  • <small>Total 1,221,585, 20 </small>
</td></tr></tbody></table></center>​

jay28

EOG Dedicated

Compare to the value above, 32,101 is nothing. Abortion should only be allowed for rape victims.

Rape and abortion

According to a major study:
The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year. ? A total 32.4% of these victims did not discover they were pregnant until they had already entered the second trimester; 32.2% opted to keep the infant whereas 50% underwent abortion and 5.9% placed the infant for adoption; an additional 11.8% had spontaneous abortion.​