Baseball clock

railbird

EOG Master
should start 0-1 that would speed up game, make fences 500 feet, more triples and inside park hrs, exciting baseball, 360 ft dingers are boring

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
We lose one of my favorite parts of the game: A pitcher's ability/inability to dictate tempo.

A clock doesn't belong at the ballpark.

A much better fix to shorten the length of a game is to shorten the length of the commercial breaks.

After all, the entire three-hour baseball broadcast has become an infomercial.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Yankees feature sponsors for every part of the game including the first pitch, the last pitch and every 3-2 pitch.

Baseball broadcasts should be restricted by a pitch count.

Heim

EOG Master
How about getting rid of the 7th inning stretch, a president stood up once and suddenly it became a tradition!?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
How about getting rid of the 7th inning stretch, a president stood up once and suddenly it became a tradition!?
That doesn’t take any extra time. Actually a much better flow with the pitch clock. I thought it was great when the minor leagues tried it.

MrTop

EOG Master
baseball is doing quite well. No reason to fix it. Attendance could be a little better. No reason to panic. Best year was 2007. Not far off from it now. Baseball could use the yankees winning it 3-4 years in a row then the haters come out more.

Bushay

NHL Expert
They're getting the bugs out before the season starts. Just an exhibition game. Many end in ties anyways.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A two-strike strikeout.

Or a pitch clock strikeout.

This will take some time to fully synthesize.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
There's a feature of the new rules where baseball managers can essentially decline a violation, similar to a football coach declining a penalty.

These new rules will take a period of adjustment for both participants and spectators.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Seriously though- just get in the box and stop playing with yourself.

I pitched in slow pitch softball for years. The ball is coming in underhand!!!!

These clowns would take forever to get in the box and get ready.

No one gives a shit if your pants are hemmed right and your batting glove looks good, just get up and hit the f******* meatball!

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Funny thing is- me and my mom went to see the Las Vegas 51's at Cashman stadium back in 2015. At that time, they were experimenting with the pitch clock. I think it was 20-25 seconds.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Instead of the familiar "Play ball" call from the home plate umpire, we could hear "Hurry up and pitch."

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
baseball is doing quite well. No reason to fix it. Attendance could be a little better. No reason to panic. Best year was 2007. Not far off from it now. Baseball could use the yankees winning it 3-4 years in a row then the haters come out more.
Of course it's alive and well. JK still won't tell us how much he's paying Manfred to keep the runner on second rule in extra innings after the latter for the past few years originally initiated to drop it.

Money talks.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I like the pitch clock, I could see some adjustments in the time however, instead of 20 seconds, maybe 25, perhaps letting it go up to 30 in the 8th and 9 th innings, etc.

When I was a kid growing up in the chicago suburbs I would run home to watch the end of the cubs game, I would get home at 3:15 and it wasn't that rare for the game to be over(started at 1:05 back then i think).

Valuist

EOG Master
It's all about the 3 outcomes approach and obsession with pitch velocity and batting power. Baseball did it to themselves and the analytics crowd's obsession with the 2 factors has created longer, more boring games. Baseball in the 70s and 80s was such a better game than what they have now. We shouldn't have to create rules to have a pitch clock, or outlaw shifts. Want to beat shifts? Stop trying to hit every pitch 450 feet. Use the whole field. Really not rocket science. Learn to pitch to contact. I understand some relievers NEED to get strikeouts in certain situations. But why is it important for starting pitchers to get 10 strikeouts? It just piles up the pitch counts.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Theo Epstein spent a decade taking advantage of the MLB rule book.

And now he'll spend the next decade closing all the loopholes.

jimmythegreek

You want to cut time off the games, you want to insert a pit h clock, extra runner on base to start extra innings. Relief pitcher needs to pitch to at least 3 batters. The only thing I see really not affecting this too much is the intentional walk. But don't mind me while the uppers try to shorten games, taking away value from fans who watch and attend the games. Whatever little integrity is left continues to fly out the window.

jimmythegreek

There's a feature of the new rules where baseball managers can essentially decline a violation, similar to a football coach declining a penalty.

These new rules will take a period of adjustment for both participants and spectators.
Pinstripes on chest protectors. What a fashion statement and concept.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Heard an interesting comment about the pitch clock today.

The clock could negatively affect hitters more than pitchers.

Leaguewide batting averages last season were .243.

That was the lowest mark since 1968, later dubbed "The Year of the Pitcher."

In 1969, MLB lowered the mound from 15 inches to 10 inches.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
The new rules, which also limit the number of times a pitcher can throw to first base, have helped cut more than 20 minutes from spring training games through the first weekend, dropping from an average of 3 hours, 1 minute last spring to 2:39.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Any gambling angles connected to the pitch clock?

Faster-paced games in minor league baseball last season did not produce significantly lower-scoring games.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Love the fact batters cant waste time either, nothing I hate more than watching a batter take a pitch(he did nothing but stand there) and then walk across the plate and all the way around the ump and then stands behind the batters box and preens before stepping back in.