Baseball clock

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Is this, among other rule tweaks and changes worth the 23 minutes to cut time off the games? I don't care how much money players make. It's added pressure to the psyche and ability to force restrictions and changes compared to last season when you didn't face as much change.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Any gambling angles connected to the pitch clock?

Faster-paced games in minor league baseball last season did not produce significantly lower-scoring games.
The shift rule should have a bigger impact than the clock.

In the long run, it will be better for the game. Teams were moving the start times up to 6:30 because they took so long. When the games are 3.5+ hours, they don’t make the late night news or the morning paper.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Is this, among other rule tweaks and changes worth the 23 minutes to cut time off the games? I don't care how much money players make. It's added pressure to the psyche and ability to force restrictions and changes compared to last season when you didn't face as much change.
The only added pressure hitters fade now is they can’t scratch their nuts after every pitch.

Valuist

EOG Master
The shift rule should have a bigger impact than the clock.

In the long run, it will be better for the game. Teams were moving the start times up to 6:30 because they took so long. When the games are 3.5+ hours, they don’t make the late night news or the morning paper.

You'd think outlawing shifts would add length to the games, as it should result in more hits.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
You'd think outlawing shifts would add length to the games, as it should result in more hits.
The shift will have a bigger impact on the quality of the game, not necessarily the time of it. People don’t mind the length of the game if it’s well-played with a good pace.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Lulz. I switched to the MLB channel to check out pitch clock and it took 2 pithes for a time violation. Click.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I posted my opinion of this noncents. But if I accept the clock, at least preserve what's left of the history and integrity. Instead of messing around with balls and strikes - warning 1st time, ejection 2nd time. Resets every at bat for both pitcher and hitter. That's enough of a deterrent and doesn't touch the sacred pitch count.

Heim

EOG Master
When a clock was talked about a few years ago, there was evidence that less recovery time for pitchers would lead to more arm injuries.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Yes indeed. Yes indeed. These fucking idiots have taken something that wasn't broken and created something that is broken.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Keep this in mind as we are about to enter WW3. This is not the same country that won the the first 2 world wars. It's baseball in this thread but it is the same all the way up to the White House. Eventually we will pay the Nick Price for incompetent, corrupt leaders. Eventually is now.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
And the American people are not the same. Hard as Lenny Dykstra nails then. 160 genders and mirco transgressions now. Couldn't handle a bad Kung Flu virus. Just wait until there is a new Dwaft Queen of millennials.

Last edited:

Dell Dude

EOG Master
We have 1 advantage or mutually assured stalement checkmate and that's nuclear weapons and that is not exactly winning when everybody is dead. Regular war, we the Big 10 low seed that gets bounced in the 1st round by a cupcake from the Wacky conference.

MrTop

EOG Master
sports books said they had to change the rules cause the books were getting killed on 1st half bets

lol

Valuist

EOG Master
When a clock was talked about a few years ago, there was evidence that less recovery time for pitchers would lead to more arm injuries.

I believe. But analytics tells us all players are interchangeable commodities. Use them up and throw them away.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I believe. But analytics tells us all players are interchangeable commodities. Use them up and throw them away.
I hardly think that a slight and only slight return to the way pitchers pitched for 100 yrs is the end of the world.

blueline

EOG Master
Any gambling angles connected to the pitch clock?

Faster-paced games in minor league baseball last season did not produce significantly lower-scoring games.

Heard a piece of a discussion on vsin a couple of fays ago....flame-throwers are expected to be affected...loss of velocity.

Valuist

EOG Master
Heard a piece of a discussion on vsin a couple of fays ago....flame-throwers are expected to be affected...loss of velocity.

That can only be an improvement for the game. Less strikeouts, less walks, less foul balls. Don't try to throw 100 every pitch.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I haven’t heard this. Was there a problem last year with the minor leaguers?

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Long term it is damaging to pitchers. Short term they can fuck batters with quick pitches and we just saw it. As I understand it, the batters have a shorter clock to be ready.

Last edited:

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Guilty please note. I don't give a shit. Do whatever you want. Have twanny day where the players, umps, announcers, ground crew, concession workers and fans dress in drag. Do whatever you want. The money has been on the dresser since inter league play.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
This will not work. Baseball is not going to become the national pastime again. So it's not whether but what they do next. Much like the Ukraine proxy war with Russia, MLB is drawing dead.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
I haven’t heard this. Was there a problem last year with the minor leaguers?

It's impossible to quantify with one season. You need years and years of cause and effect data to make a accurate assessment.

The report I read was from renowned orthos and physicians.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
That's it! Rahmbo stuck it! Now you grade it, JK! Now you grade it! Win #97 and +2000!

Jon Rahm +2000
LEADER AFTER ROUND 1
TOTAL WAGER $15.00
TOTAL PAYOUT $315.00
PLACED: 3/2/2023 7:18AM MST

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It's impossible to quantify with one season. You need years and years of cause and effect data to make a accurate assessment.

The report I read was from renowned orthos and physicians.
Basically they are treated like RB’s in football now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
............Sorry but I didn't understand what the batter did wrong, someone please explain, thx

Home plate umpire deemed the batter was not ready (alert to the pitcher) at the eight-second mark on the clock.

That's a pitch-clock violation and good for an automatic strike.

In this case, on a 3-2 count, the pitch-clock strike ended the at-bat and the inning.

This is baseball in 2023.