All-Time Favorite Jockey....

Heim

EOG Master
Laffit Pincay. Hall of Fame Jockey but still never mentioned in the same breath as Day, Shoemaker or Bailey. I never got a bad ride from him & horse was always in position to win. Moreover, never heard rumblings about suspicious rides like Stevens or Solis. I mention this because I see so many bad rides now.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Heim;n7457593 said:
Laffit Pincay. Hall of Fame Jockey but still never mentioned in the same breath as Day, Shoemaker or Bailey. I never got a bad ride from him & horse was always in position to win. Moreover, never heard rumblings about suspicious rides like Stevens or Solis. I mention this because I see so many bad rides now.

There isn't a person alive who thinks Day is better than Pincay. Pincay is top 5, Day is like top 20. Pincay gets tons of respect.

Best jockey I ever saw at the wire, if his horse had the lead at the 1/16th pole, that was all she wrote.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Viejo Dinosaur;n7457601 said:
Start the poll in Chicago.....hahahahaha

I know a lot of people who don't even like Pat Day because of his too patient rides. He wasn't labeled Pat "ALL DAY" for nothing.

I don't trust anything in Chicago VD. lol

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
nobody also knowing European flat racing would have 75% votes for the great Pincay they would spread between Lester Piggott, Pincay and Shoe. all incredible
then a small gap to Eddie Arcaro.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The power of Pincay.

He rarely seemed to lose in deep stretch when locked in a head-and-head duel.

Day was too cute for me.

His goal to win by the narrowest margins often cost him.

Day liked to win without "sucking the lemon dry" so the owner/trainer would have plenty of horse for subsequent races.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
American-born jocks have a big edge over their Latin counterparts when schmoozing big-money owners and influential trainers.

EOG's resident sociologist Railbird to enter the conversation in 3, 2, 1...

Valuist

EOG Master
Pincay and Day is an apples and oranges comparison. Pincay was a slasher and Day was a "hands" rider. Both were great. Some small minded people believe if one doesn't toil in LA or NY, they must suck. Very small minded thought process.

BTW, Day was not a "Chicago rider". He primarily rode in Kentucky and Arkansas. He rode some at Arlington but also in New York in the late 70s.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Valuist;n7458373 said:
Pincay and Day is an apples and oranges comparison. Pincay was a slasher and Day was a "hands" rider. Both were great. Some small minded people believe if one doesn't toil in LA or NY, they must suck. Very small minded thought process.

BTW, Day was not a "Chicago rider". He primarily rode in Kentucky and Arkansas. He rode some at Arlington but also in New York in the late 70s.

Day holds the North American record. Summer of 1989 he won 8 of 9 races over a very sloppy track at Arlington Park. I was there that afternoon like most afternoons during the summer of 1989.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Gabe;n7457620 said:
P. Val if he wasn't on the shit. Would have been the best of all time.

I have heard this from a few serious horseplayers. Especially getting horses out of the gate. With that said I think he's overrated.

I'd take a clean and sober Garrett Gomez "GoGo" over a clean P. VAL.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was at Churchill Downs in early May of 1992 when Pat Day broke his Derby losing streak (0-for-9) when aboard Lil E Tee at odds of 17/1.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Valuist made a good point about Day when talking about his soft hands and finesse style.

And in reference to Gabe's comment on addicts, Day overcame alcoholism, if memory serves.

He's now addicted to Christ.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
P VAL could make a 99/1 shot hit the board . Never seen a jock move up a horse like he did . His horses would be ahead 2 lengths out of the gate and he was fearless.

Go go absolutely an all time great and the main reason zenyatta didn’t end up without a loss . His ride on blame was perfect . Go go did not lose photos. Guy was amazing at the wire.

Pval and GOGO

pure talents , god given talent. Both could have broke any record they wanted .

AlCapony

EOG Member
For me it's Chris McCarron all the way. He rode home several winners for me including back to back BC Classics aboard Tiznow in 2000 and 2001. Capped off some great bets those days.

Gabe

Horse racing expert
Eddie D,
Best rider of all time on closers. His timing was second to none!!!

McCarron,
Superior turf rider, great on front-runners and probably the smartest jockey of all time.

Cordero/Pincay
Great strong jockeys who were impossible to pass in the stretch. Most jockeys today looked up to these two in particular.

Valuist

EOG Master
Bigrunner;n7458495 said:
Day holds the North American record. Summer of 1989 he won 8 of 9 races over a very sloppy track at Arlington Park. I was there that afternoon like most afternoons during the summer of 1989.

I was there myself quite often in 1989, just after they rebuilt the track. I remember seeing a first time starter named Unbridled break his maiden at AP. He would go on to win the KY Derby and Breeders Cup Classic in 1990 and somehow lost the Horse of the Year to Criminal Type. THAT was criminal.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Valuist;n7458592 said:
I was there myself quite often in 1989, just after they rebuilt the track. I remember seeing a first time starter named Unbridled break his maiden at AP. He would go on to win the KY Derby and Breeders Cup Classic in 1990 and somehow lost the Horse of the Year to Criminal Type. THAT was criminal.

Unbridled 10 ½-length victory in his career debut

only Kentucky Derby starter and obviously winner to race at Canterbury Downs in Minnesota where his trainer also had horses and state his owner was from, which he did as a 2 year old taking second.....

Valuist

EOG Master
trytrytry;n7458599 said:
Unbridled 10 ½-length victory in his career debut

only Kentucky Derby starter and obviously winner to race at Canterbury Downs in Minnesota where his trainer also had horses and state his owner was from, which he did as a 2 year old taking second.....

Carl Nafzger. Then to show it wasn't a fluke, he wins the Derby a second time seventeen years later with Street Sense.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Favourites, no, however goat were Arcaro, Shoemaker, and Bailey.
Of the jockeys I’ve seen live, Bailey, Cordero and Hawley.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Valuist;n7458608 said:
Carl Nafzger. Then to show it wasn't a fluke, he wins the Derby a second time seventeen years later with Street Sense.

Carl Nafzger will always be linked to Unbridled owner Francis Genter. Ms. Genter was almost blind and Nafzger would narrate Unbridled's race and winning move to her. The scene is very touching and a classic in the annals of Kentucky Derby history. Video attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpb1CC82B4I

I know VD will love this video.

P.S. Craig Perret was the jockey.