American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

Re: American Idol 2009- Season 8 Thread and Discussion

I give up as for whatever reason I can no longer transfer documents from my writing program on to here via cut and paste. Just as well and will save me some time in the future. Sorry for those few that wanted to read it, others can certainly do just as well.

I'm not going to type in the whole thing, so here are some quick notes and highlights:

Tonight's review had a legal theme as each contestant was being brought up on charges to see Judge Doberman (with apologies to Judge Wapner of course.

Kris was arrested for a misdemeanor radar violation, coming in under the radar.

Allison was brought up on gang charges with the immortal line of her saying "hey esse, you got some smokes homes?". Later she was given a continuance to next week on her shoplifting of a carton of cigarettes charges.

Matt was found guilty of not upholding standards of decency. He was sentence to twenty years at a piano bar and this week's history lesson was in his review as we touched on Napoleon's exile to Elba from the Sixth Coalition (at least you can learn something in my crappy reviews).

Danny was arrarigned on charges of impersonating an entertainers. It was the viewers that suffered though as they were sentenced to yet another week of DeadWife Gorkey.

And in this week's shocker former Idol winner David Cook brought up copyright infringement charges on Adam Lambert for stealing his shtick of (ironically) stealing others obscure covers. There was a feather boa and soap-dropping reference hidden within as well.

Finally we had to execute Dawg, durr, and drunk for crimes against humanity and impersonating judges.

PO,
I'm going to have to strongly disagree. There is one good theater performer, a few church singers, and a Friday night at the bar or two performer in the mix here but it is otherwise completely lacking in singing talent.

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 2.4 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Five....five singer.....five singers ? hour long! It's time for the Fab 5, otherwise known as the Final Five for American Idol 2009. The theme this week? Standards from the Rat Pack, otherwise known as ?Who???? to the contestants. Probably just as well, as the Rat Pack wouldn't be caught dead anywhere close to this contest. That's okay, because when we all think Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, who doesn't think ? Jamie Foxx???? Ugh. Well, here we go:

1. Danny Gokey (4) ? ?Come Rain Come Shine?. Danny comes out with a fresh, clean look and his voice is the same way as he leads off his version. Of course he can't help himself as about halfway through he pulls the mike off and starts going all Gokey on us ? but oddly enough he pulls it off. It worked, and the up-tempo and the style actually fit him as well as the look. Putting him right before Adam hurts him slightly, but that was the best he has been in several weeks and it is about time he stepped up.
  2. Adam Lambert (5) ? ?Feeling Good? to close the show. The full pimp treatment was in effect (anyone else see a Freddie Mercury type entrance there?). He tried to bring the Show Tune element to it along with the Miami Vice-esque outfit. Pure indulgence with him getting to the big note. It was not his best performance, but is there any doubt that he's going to be in the Finals? Move along....
  3. Allison Iraheta (2) ? ?Someone to Watch Over Me.? Somewhere between smoky and sultry you will find this strong performance. Something along the lines of Michelle Pfeiffer in the Fabulous Baker Boys, she gave a classic Big Band front singer from the 50s meets woman on the piano lounge performer style. Very well done and her voice and style (and gender) will make her stand out tonight.
  4. Kris Allen (1) ? ?The Way You Look Tonight? leads off the night, and while it is a quality, solid rendition I felt like I was stuck in an elevator. Then again, these songs are Muzak ready, aren't they? Well, this wasn't very current but what can you expect on a terrible theme. As for the last note ? um, no. Not so hot. One word for me ? forgettable. Randy, really, stop drinking from Paula's beverage cup. Kara ? diction? Really? Do I need to spell out the joke? Simon, ?Wet?? ?Cocker Spaniel for a walk??
  5. Matt Giraud (3) ? "My Funny Valentine?. Nothing funny, nothing to write home about. I don't get the love for this guy, and isn't it time for him to depart at this point? Pitchy was a good description as everything between the higher portions he sang had an annoying twang to it. Either you like it or you don't, and I didn't. Congrats on making it this far Matt, but that should be the end. What on Earth did Simon hear?

Bottom 3: Kris, Matt and Allison. Shocking, I know. Hopefully the popular voting gets it right and dismisses Matt tonight.

Who's leaving (or at least should be): Matt.

Wynn

EOG Enthusiast

Adam has great vocals but I can't get rid of that image of him sashaying down the stairs in that white suit. He's just too theatrical and too effeminate for my taste.

Greendoberman, this season has had the best singers of any season from what I have heard from others

i 2nd this. by far the most impressive season i have seen. 3 legit stars imo (Allison, Gokey, Adam)

thought tonight was the best show i have seen since i started watching idol

i hope Allison doesn't get voted out. I have a feeling she is safe since she should have the female vote on lock down. bottom 2 David, and Kris. See ya David

allison doesnt have the charisma. remember people....simon says. people follow simon. allison will be packing next week. anyone know where i can play this?

btw, my matt g play is hanging in there...:) but i'm very afraid of kris beating matt. :(

Apple

Banned

Think Adam and Danny were by far the best tonight..

I'd like to get down on Matt going home tomorrow.. I think he is gone, if the odds are right I will get down on this.

roach23

Banned

Order of best to worst today:

Gokey
Gay Lambert
Allison
Kris
Matt

PO,
I've asked you once to keep your immature comments out of this thread. I don't see why I need to do it again. Stay on topic or get out and that is the last time I will say it nicely.

Gyno,
Try not to add fuel to the fire. Leave it alone and let PO make himself look foolish.

Back to topic.

BCTTWR

EOG Dedicated

IDENTITY, Allison is now +470 to get eliminated & Matt is +350 to be safe.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Get Em KRIS. And take out GayBoy too :thumbsup

Not surprised no one wants to buy Gokeys music. Guy is a fat useless douche.

Did iTunes reveal ?American Idol? final two?

Performances by Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, are popular downloads

<SCRIPT>getCSS("3053751")</SCRIPT><LINK href="/default.ashx/id/3053751/" type=text/css rel=stylesheet itxtvisited="1"><SCRIPT></SCRIPT><TABLE class=boxH_3053751 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=boxHI_3053751 width="1%" itxtvisited="1"> </TD><TD class=boxHC_3053751 noWrap width=* itxtvisited="1">Slideshow
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=boxB_3053751 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD itxtvisited="1">
<INPUT class="mbox w77" onmouseover="swapbtn(this, 1)" title=Launch onclick="javascript:SSOpen2('30242300');" onmouseout="swapbtn(this, 0)" type=button value=Launch itxtvisited="1">
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=boxBI_3053751 itxtvisited="1"> ?Idol?s? final 5
At the conclusion of disco week, only five contestants remained standing on ?American Idol.?
more photos
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<SCRIPT>getCSS("3053751")</SCRIPT>

By Kate Ward
updated 2 hours, 44 minutes ago<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633766305483800000');</SCRIPT>

A supposed glitch on iTunes last week revealed that Adam Lambert and Kris Allen are the most downloaded contestants of ?American Idol's? season 8.
More specifically, six songs by Lambert crack the top 10 of an Idol-themed chart on iTunes, while three Allen performances appear on the list.
It's a controversial revelation ? considering how ?Idol's? producers try to keep sales numbers secret to avoid letting each contestant's popularity be known ? but more so because Idol's producers fans were anticipating an Lambert-Danny Gokey showdown in the finals. (Calls to iTunes have not yet been returned.)
<HR noShade SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1">advertisement | <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>dap('&PG=NBCSML&AP=1089','300','250');</SCRIPT>
<HR noShade SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1">

To be fair, Gokey still made an appearance on the top 10 chart ? his "Endless Love" nabbed the No. 9 slot ? but is there any surprise that Kris' performances are more popular among contemporary consumers? (Even I couldn't resist downloading several of his tunes, like "To Make You Feel My Love" and "Ain't No Sunshine.")

But more importantly, these iTunes stats make me wonder why the judges continue to push for an Lambert-Gokey final two, when Allen is supposedly a bigger draw on the charts. Isn't the goal of Idol to find a future chart-topper ? la Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry?

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

But more importantly, these iTunes stats make me wonder why the judges continue to push for an Lambert-Gokey final two, when Allen is supposedly a bigger draw on the charts. Isn't the goal of Idol to find a future chart-topper ? la Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry?

Answer: They're stupid.

PO69

EOG Master

I seriously doubt that he was really in the bottom 2. It just creates more drama throughout the week with people thinking that Adam was close to leaving

JeffEaglz

EOG Enthusiast

I seriously doubt that he was really in the bottom 2. It just creates more drama throughout the week with people thinking that Adam was close to leaving
What, manipulation? Nooooo.......

Adam will now get more sympathy votes for next week, bolstering his run towards the finals.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

On one hand, you could argue they did this on purpose so Adam gets more votes as they like him best and want him to win.

Another option is they know he has been struggling week to week to be the top vote getter, and it is not sure at all he is going to win, and that is why they have been pushing him hard every week. They have been pushing/pimping because he is their top choice to win and he needs help.

dialidol did not think much was seperating 1 from 5 this week.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

bookies thought Bo Bice should be favored over Carrie and had Daughtry at ridiculously low odds for about 8 weeks before he got kicked out. They have been very wrong before.....

ballwonder

EOG Master

Dont forget to vote tonight if you are still in the contest. Down to 4 and would be safe to assume either Kris or Allison are going....

Another rumor:

Adam- Knocking on Heaven's Door.

Accident at dress rehearsal, cancelled. Will go live with no dress rehearsal.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Gokey was horrible

Was thinking the same thing, I think between him and Kris they may be in trouble this week. Tough choice almost as if Gokey was alot worse than Kris......but you gotta wonder if it comes down to votes in a popularity contest that keeps Gokey around for a big final show down......which has been thought out for a while now.

roach23

Banned

That new judge is a turd.

"Gay Lamert...you....are...a...rock...GODDDDDDDDD!!!!"

Her outfit was horrendous as well.

roach23

Banned

Was thinking the same thing, I think between him and Kris they may be in trouble this week. Tough choice almost as if Gokey was alot worse than Kris......but you gotta wonder if it comes down to votes in a popularity contest that keeps Gokey around for a big final show down......which has been thought out for a while now.

Kris and Allison weren't good either. But I think Allison's duet with Gay Lambert was good.

And sadly, as much as i can't stand him, Gay Lambert was clearly the best this week.

Allison's performance today was mediocre at best.

Best for worst this week for me:

Gay Lambert
Allison
Kris
Gokey

Quick summary of the show as it's not worth a longer article:

Adam- same old shit, screams, curls lip, repeats. Was best of night and he is a showman though.

Allison- brilliant verses, screamed some on chorus. Still the best musical (read non-theater) talent on the show. Could be in trouble with her small fan base.

Kris- better than I thought as Beatles was poor choice. Still pretty forgettable though. Good guitar playing, not exactly in his comfort zone. Decent may not be enough.

Danny- utterly epically fantastically horrible. That may have been the worst performance of the season and that is saying alot when you include Stevie Wright and Casey Carlson. It was shittastically bad with a bullet. I get a strange feeling he'll be first in votes though. If so, that would be wrong. Honestly, I was hoping a weather bulletin or Obama press conference would break out during his performance.

Kara the fucking **** says "You should have sang some early Aerosmith like 'Cryin' or 'Crazy'".

WTF, not only is she a stupid dumb whore but she has zero musical knowledge as well. Go write another Katharine McPhee song about toes you stupid bitch.

roach23

Banned

Kara the fucking **** says "You should have sang some early Aerosmith like 'Cryin' or 'Crazy'".

WTF, not only is she a stupid dumb whore but she has zero musical knowledge as well. Go write another Katharine McPhee song about toes you stupid bitch.

She's a dumbass. She's really horrible. She never says anything where you think "good point".

PO69

EOG Master

I hope that Danny Gokey gets the boot tomorrow, but probably Allison gets axed I guess