Are we really doing the right thing regarding Covid?

Valuist

EOG Master
Do you really believe people would have changed their votes because of this announcement? Most people were voting to kick Chump out of office, not for Biden or for a vaccine to arrive.

Would everyone? Of course not. But could 3,4 or 5% change their mind? Absolutely. I remember seeing election odds around this time last year; maybe it was early December. Trump was over a minus 200 betting favorite. 3.5% unemployment. So what happens? Rona strikes. Obviously it changed some people's minds, and considering the closeness of the vote in many swing states, it absolutely could've made a difference.

This announcement by Pfizer is beyond suspicious. Many of us felt the Rona would "mysteriously" fade away after the election. In the FIRST business day after the election has been declared, Pfizer drops this news. Pure coincidence? Surely you aren't that naive.

"“Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020..."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7450985/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-trials-caution-experts/

So no where near enough to vaccinate even the USA, let alone the planet, next year.

With that vaccine each person requires 2 doses.

"“Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021,” the company said (enough to vaccinate 650 million people as it is a double dose)."

mr merlin

EOG Master
"“Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020..."

https://globalnews.ca/news/7450985/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-trials-caution-experts/

So no where near enough to vaccinate even the USA, let alone the planet, next year.

With that vaccine each person requires 2 doses.

"“Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021,” the company said (enough to vaccinate 650 million people as it is a double dose)."
What about all the other vaccines...moderna, etc, are they chopped liver? They are only going to be trailing a few weeks behind pfizer.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
So, they must know by now / people can take the shot and not get sick from it. How long the antibodies last is apparently unknown?

But, given the emergency / what else needs to known? Miraculous vaccine around the corner does nothing for the large number of people getting sick currently.

They have a lot of doses ready to go / why not use them? Is it an all or nothing philosophy?

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Not to mention remember when Pittsburgh played Baltimore and I was going off on how its nearly impossible Humphrey couldnt have spread it to Pittsburgh... now look at them. Lol.

Its all a joke. Our testing is a joke. People in power are going to do whatever they want. We have no clue what we're doing man. Absolutely not a damn clue other than how to contain it.

What about all the other vaccines...moderna, etc, are they chopped liver? They are only going to be trailing a few weeks behind pfizer.

As of now there is no known proven effective vaccine. Nada. Zilch. None.

Of the 100 or so being tested and or developed, we'll see next year how many, if any, are available to be distributed worldwide & how much of the world population they will be able to vaccinate & to what degree of effectiveness.

mr merlin

EOG Master
So, they must know by now / people can take the shot and not get sick from it. How long the antibodies last is apparently unknown?

But, given the emergency / what else needs to known? Miraculous vaccine around the corner does nothing for the large number of people getting sick currently.

They have a lot of doses ready to go / why not use them? Is it an all or nothing philosophy?
Almost everyone with the virus right now, which is a million plus, will be free of it in 2-3 weeks. So they are a non factor. As soon as an effective vaccine is deployed, cases should begin dropping in the vaccinated groups. So if they start with the old, cases should rapidly(within a month) drop off among the old/nursing homes, etc.

mr merlin

EOG Master
As of now there is no known proven effective vaccine. Nada. Zilch. None.

Of the 100 or so being tested and or developed, we'll see next year how many, if any, are available to be distributed worldwide & how much of the world population they will be able to vaccinate & to what degree of effectiveness.
You just dont get it, china has their own vaccine, as does russia, with india prob following on, with the western nations using our vaccines, that is the world.

You just dont get it, china has their own vaccine, as does russia, with india prob following on, with the western nations using our vaccines, that is the world.

China lol. Russia lol. As I said, & i quote myself:

"As of now there is no known proven effective vaccine. Nada. Zilch. None."

"Of the 100 or so being tested and or developed, we'll see next year how many, if any, are available to be distributed worldwide & how much of the world population they will be able to vaccinate & to what degree of effectiveness."

Furthermore, there are issues with distributing vaccines & how long that will take, e.g.:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7454092/bonnie-henry-covid-19-vaccine-bc-challenges/

This story reminds me about how scientifically illiterate the media combined with a love of explosive headlines.

The problem is this is a statistical analysis, not a serological one.

The details.
39,000 people in their study have received the two doses, some the vaccine and some placebo.
Of those participants, they so far studied the first 94 people who were symptomatic (asymptomatic people were not tested)
Of those 94, it seems 85 or so were from the placebo group.

From what I understand, no participants were purposefully exposed to the virus 9an ethiocs no-no) so those infected would be from community transmission and this adds a significant extraneous variable into the data.

The correct headline would be "Of the symptomatic participants in Pfizer's study, only 10% were from the vaccine group". That's not exciting enough to draw clicks and doesn't help Pfizer increase its market share of vaccine pre-orders.

I'm still hopeful but the headline is more than a tad misleading.

https://terb.cc/xenforo/threads/pfizer-says-vaccine-trials-90-effective.729642/#post-6863522

mr merlin

EOG Master
Looks like Fauci is mad Biden left him off his covid team, he's now telling the truth, he said everyone who wants a vaccine should be able to get it by april.

On Tuesday’s broadcast of CNN’s “The Lead,” White House Coronavirus Task Force member Dr. Anthony Fauci stated that distribution of a coronavirus vaccine will “likely” begin next month and that he thinks people who are not high on the priority list to receive the vaccine are “going to get vaccinated within the first four months. I would say by April, you’ll be able to be vaccinated.”

Fauci said that dispensing the vaccine will “likely” start in December.

"Dr. Fauci says COVID-19 vaccine could be widely available by April"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11...9-vaccine-could-be-widely-available-by-april/

Could be. Might be. Maybe. I'm guessing. I don't know.

"The nation’s top infectious disease expert said Tuesday the Pfizer vaccine, which is reportedly more than 90% effective, could be available to everyone by April 2021. "

50 million doses divided by 2 makes 25 million available to "everyone", but only enough for a small percentage of Americans.

"According to reports, Pfizer’s vaccine still needs to be approved for emergency authorization by the Food and Drug Administration. If it is approved, the company intends to manufacture enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people by the end of this year.

"...“The one thing we were concerned about was that we have a lot of people in this country who may not want to get vaccinated right away,” Fauci said. “It may take well into the second or third quarters [of the year] to finally get people to be convinced to get vaccinated.”

mr merlin

EOG Master
"Dr. Fauci says COVID-19 vaccine could be widely available by April"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11...9-vaccine-could-be-widely-available-by-april/

Could be. Might be. Maybe. I'm guessing. I don't know.

"The nation’s top infectious disease expert said Tuesday the Pfizer vaccine, which is reportedly more than 90% effective, could be available to everyone by April 2021. "

50 million doses divided by 2 makes 25 million available to "everyone", but only enough for a small percentage of Americans.

"According to reports, Pfizer’s vaccine still needs to be approved for emergency authorization by the Food and Drug Administration. If it is approved, the company intends to manufacture enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people by the end of this year.

"...“The one thing we were concerned about was that we have a lot of people in this country who may not want to get vaccinated right away,” Fauci said. “It may take well into the second or third quarters [of the year] to finally get people to be convinced to get vaccinated.”
He didn't say "maybe it'll be available in april" , he said everyone who wants one will likely have received one by april - big difference, and 25 million people by year end is not a small %, it's about 1/6th of everyone who will ever get it.

And Pfizer is not "going to" produce it, they are already producing it, if approval comes in the next 2-3 weeks people will begin getting shots within 24 hrs.

He didn't say "maybe it'll be available in april" , he said everyone who wants one will likely have received one by april - big difference,

Something that is "likely" to occur is by definition something that "maybe" will occur or "maybe" will not occur.

Something that is "likely" to occur may have only a 51% chance of occurring, or have virtually a coin flip's chance of occurring.

That is just one expert's opinion who has been wrong before.

and 25 million people by year end is not a small %, it's about 1/6th of everyone who will ever get it.

It's a drop in the bucket compared to how many people need it globally.

C-19 is a universal problem for America, not just an America only problem.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Something that is "likely" to occur is by definition something that "maybe" will occur or "maybe" will not occur.

Something that is "likely" to occur may have only a 51% chance of occurring, or have virtually a coin flip's chance of occurring.

That is just one expert's opinion who has been wrong before.

It's a drop in the bucket compared to how many people need it globally.

C-19 is a universal problem for America, not just an America only problem.
The 50 million doses are mfg and paid for by us, they are for us, all of them. Why is that hard to understand?

Pretty much everyone who wants to get vaccinated will get it by april, 4-5 months from now. then we're done. Once 140 million people are vaccinated, to go along with the tens of millions that will already be immune, there will be no urgency to convince the non vaxers to get it, some will change their minds, some wont, it will not be important..

The 50 million doses are mfg and paid for by us, they are for us, all of them. Why is that hard to understand?

It's not. But, as has already been stated, that only gets 25 million Americans vaccinated.

Pretty much everyone who wants to get vaccinated will get it by april,

You have a crystal ball telling you that?

"The 10 Canadian COVID-19 vaccine efforts listed with WHO are unlikely to be ready by 2021":

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...that-doesnt-mean-canada-will-be-shut-out.html

Once 140 million people are vaccinated,

Nobody knows when, or even if, that will happen. There are presently no proven effective vaccines. Nil. Nada. Zilch.

There never has yet been a proven effective vaccine for - any - of the coronaviruses of past years.

to go along with the tens of millions that will already be immune,

It's unknown how long people are immune from infection after being infected. Some have already been reinfected. It may be necessary to have an annual C-19 vaccination. Just like the flu.

there will be no urgency to convince the non vaxers to get it, some will change their minds, some wont, it will not be important..

Not according to your source:

Furthermore:

"Health experts have warned that if enough people choose not to get a Covid-19 vaccine, it may keep the US from herd immunity against the coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/health/covid-19-vaccine-willingness-cnn-poll-wellness/index.html

Last edited:

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
It's a mess. Hospitals are filling back up again. Shut down inevitable. This is what happens when people think this is some game.

Maryland vs Ohio State called off.

We are back to square one. We have no idea. Time to go back to hardcore drinking.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
If Trump took this CoVid seriously back in March and worked with the health organizations and scientists, he would still be President.....no doubt in my mind....

I agree he would still be president. What I don’t agree with is the majority of countries did what you suggested and are still having major problems.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's not. But, as has already been stated, that only gets 25 million Americans vaccinated.

You have a crystal ball telling you that?

"The 10 Canadian COVID-19 vaccine efforts listed with WHO are unlikely to be ready by 2021":

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...that-doesnt-mean-canada-will-be-shut-out.html

Nobody knows when, or even if, that will happen. There are presently no proven effective vaccines. Nil. Nada. Zilch.

There never has yet been a proven effective vaccine for - any - of the coronaviruses of past years.

It's unknown how long people are immune from infection after being infected. Some have already been reinfected. It may be necessary to have an annual C-19 vaccination. Just like the flu.

Not according to your source:

Furthermore:

"Health experts have warned that if enough people choose not to get a Covid-19 vaccine, it may keep the US from herd immunity against the coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/health/covid-19-vaccine-willingness-cnn-poll-wellness/index.html
You seem obsessed with my comments, are you also upset that by the time Biden takes over(if he does) this surge will have long since passed? There will be no reason to shut down then.

mr merlin

EOG Master
It's a mess. Hospitals are filling back up again. Shut down inevitable. This is what happens when people think this is some game.

Maryland vs Ohio State called off.

We are back to square one. We have no idea. Time to go back to hardcore drinking.
Just got back from happy hour, the place was packed with no masks, no social distancing, unlike in the spring, people will not obey any stay at home order this time.

railbird

EOG Master
Im so thankfull to be living in a RED city led by a RED police chief and RED city council like TITO ORTIZ. So will never listen to the Communist Chinese party that runs the dem party

mr merlin

EOG Master
Jesus Merlin. All your posts pretty much failed this year. We will shut down again. The gig is up.
Who is we? Yea some states will shut down, and quite a few wont, just like last time. Our gov just announced that all business's can operate at 100%, said the simple fact is covid is not spreading in normal commerce. So while the bars and restaurants are facing restrictions, pretty much nothing else is.

railbird

EOG Master
secular scientists are way off. dr fauci is a mouthpiece not a scientist. He is like nate silver he is a bullshit narrative dealer.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Who is we? Yea some states will shut down, and quite a few wont, just like last time. Our gov just announced that all business's can operate at 100%, said the simple fact is covid is not spreading in normal commerce. So while the bars and restaurants are facing restrictions, pretty much nothing else is.
It will spread when people go north for deer hunting.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
But I do understand we are stuck between a rock and hard place. There's no way struggling businesses will cooperate and shut down without some sort of help. It's just not plausible to expect them to when livelihoods are on the line. I agree in this sense. A lot of families don't have the luxury of being well off.

This virus (whatever it is) destroyed the world. When you're well off and haven't been directly impacted by getting it or knowing somebody who did I can certainly see how one can downplay everything.

I don't understand for the life of me how McConnell can come out and say the economy is better when he knows that's only the case for some industries. Not to mention people with degrees and experience are lowering their standards and probably getting anything entry level.

Fuck all the games. Our founding fathers are absolutely rolling over in their graves. America is a melting pot of the entire world. I don't want to hear other countries input when it comes to this virus.

Valuist

EOG Master
Valuist thats not a fair comparison. You know it's not.

I just don't understand how little you value human life.

Who is the virus killing? The old and weak; those who likely would not be alive 4-5 years from now if there was no coronavirus. You protect the vulnerable. But you do not shut down the rest of society.