Baseball play for Opening Night (Mar 30)

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated
The Opening Night game between the Dodgers and Padres is a nice spot for a play, i think. The pitching matchup is pretty close to even here with Ryu vs. Cashner, and the offenses are pretty equal as well (perhaps a slight edge to the Dodgers). That gives the home-field Padres a slight edge in the game, and it's probably a bigger edge than it ordinarily might be, with Dodgers pitcher Ryu dealing with a toe injury since making his last start in Australia last week (he actually had to go to the doctor and have part of his toenail removed just a few days ago). And of course, the Dodgers are also coming off that long-ass flight back from Australia, so they might still be a little bit drained from that. Matt Kemp not playing yet either.

However, despite what i think is an edge to the Padres here, the game opened at a coin-flip price, and will likely be drifting to the Dodgers' side throughout the day (because they're a big public team, and perhaps also because they're already 2-0 this year (their most recent win coming with tonight's pitcher Ryu on the mound).

So let's play the Padres (Cashner) -103 vs. the Dodgers (Ryu).

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Re: Baseball play for Opening Night (Mar 30)

Yep, very similar to my thinking as well.

Duke, Dallas, Dodgers.......the big 3 DDD's of squares everywhere.

Not a complete list of Pauly Public's favorite teams but a good start.

mighty maron

EOG Dedicated

The Opening Night game between the Dodgers and Padres is a nice spot for a play, i think. The pitching matchup is pretty close to even here with Ryu vs. Cashner, and the offenses are pretty equal as well (perhaps a slight edge to the Dodgers). That gives the home-field Padres a slight edge in the game, and it's probably a bigger edge than it ordinarily might be, with Dodgers pitcher Ryu dealing with a toe injury since making his last start in Australia last week (he actually had to go to the doctor and have part of his toenail removed just a few days ago). And of course, the Dodgers are also coming off that long-ass flight back from Australia, so they might still be a little bit drained from that. Matt Kemp not playing yet either.

However, despite what i think is an edge to the Padres here, the game opened at a coin-flip price, and will likely be drifting to the Dodgers' side throughout the day (because they're a big public team, and perhaps also because they're already 2-0 this year (their most recent win coming with tonight's pitcher Ryu on the mound).

So let's play the Padres (Cashner) -103 vs. the Dodgers (Ryu).

RYU threw in the bullpen to test the foot...he says he is good to go...

The key is how the Dodgers will approach Cashner this time around...Crawford and Puig have been free swinging against him and each have 3k's against him. Cashner was finally healthy for an entire season last year. Now with all that film on him, can the Dodgers adjust in keep their bats in check.

Padres were injured last year and are sting somewhat dinged up going into this one.

GL in your selection...I went the opposite way and got the Dodgers -105 with RYU listed yesterday

ballsy

EOG Enthusiast

Total is 6 1/2. I like the under but the vig is higher on the over. That's good for me. Might wait till later this evening. I see this total going possible 7 or at worst 6 1/2 -130 over.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

Cashner came on strong at the end of last season..I like the wager 12io4j2w90

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

I have no play but if you like SD I think you'll get a better number closer to game time. Very unlikely money comes against the Dodgers.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

I have no play but if you like SD I think you'll get a better number closer to game time. Very unlikely money comes against the Dodgers.

Agreed. I did mention in the write-up that i expected the line to drift towards the Dodgers' side throughout the day.

Btw, i just saw stat this tweeted out by ESPN's Buster Olney: Tonight's starter Cashner had the 7th-best home era in the majors last year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/year/2013/split/33/order/false/minip/60

Bet10heinekens

EOG Veteran

You might need a complete game by Ryu if you're backing the Dodgers. The bullpen got rocked in Australia

I know it was 1 game, but yikes

LA DODGERS - Bullpen Pitching Statistics
ERA WHIP IP R ER H HR BB SO W-L SV BSV Pct.
All Games 7.11 2.212 6.3 5 5 6 1 8 6 0-0 1 0 100%
Road Games 7.11 2.212 6.3 5 5 6 1 8 6 0-0 1 0 100%