Best professional sports coach to never win a championship

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember growing up and hearing about manager Gene Mauch winning a lot of games but never winning a pennant, let alone a World Series.

Great coaches to never win a ring?

railbird

EOG Master
Re: Best professional sports coach to never win a championship

Sam Wyche who had successful heart transplant surgery today

brians

EOG Dedicated

From my lifetime ... Jerry Sloan & Marv Levy

Heim

EOG Master

I remember growing up and hearing about manager Gene Mauch winning a lot of games but never winning a pennant, let alone a World Series.

Great coaches to never win a ring?

.483 winning percentage.....yikes!

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Bud Grant

I remember his tough stances on braving the cold outdoors in Minneapolis.

In hindsight, maybe some gloves and hand warmers would have been the way to go.

Heim

EOG Master

Marv Levy. 4 AFC Championships nothing to sneer at.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

.483 winning percentage.....yikes!

How did Gene Mauch get so much love from the writers and broadcasters of the time?

He managed for nearly three decades.

Mauch loved "small ball" and he's credited by some for creating the now-popular "double-switch."

kane

EOG master

Sam Wyche who had successful heart transplant surgery today

Sam Wyche? no chance, for his career the guy was 84-107, good for a .440 winning percentage, in his 12 year coaching career he made the playoffs twice

brians

EOG Dedicated

Schottenheimer? Reeves?

If I had to choose one, it would be Marv Levy

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted

John, I immediately thought of Gene Mauch when you posed the queston. He literally taught me baseball watching and listening to Phillies games. It appears that Mauch invented the double switch and he certainly perfected it. Mauch moved the Phillies bullpen from left to right field so that the bullpen coach could determine whether a ball was going to hit the right field "Spite Fence" and wave a towel to assist the base runner and base coaches if that was the case. One Sunday doubleheader I watched Mauch race out of the dugout to require the Dodgers to remove laboring starting pitcher Joe Moeller on the second visit to the mound that inning. There was nobody warming up. Mauch's weakness was that he tended to over-manage in crucial situations, but he was playing with a relatively weak hand talent wise. Mauch certainly belongs in the Hall for his contributions to game, despite a losing record and no championships, instead of the relatively dim-witted Walter Alston who had great talent and ownership patience.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Buck Showalter

The D-backs won after Showalter left and so too did the New York Yankees.

Some claim Buck set the foundation, others claim he was the force holding back his teams.

I prefer the former explanation.

Buck has won the AL Manager of the Year award three times with three different teams (Yanks in '94, Rangers in '04 and Orioles in '14).

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

John, I immediately thought of Gene Mauch when you posed the queston. He literally taught me baseball watching and listening to Phillies games. It appears that Mauch invented the double switch and he certainly perfected it. Mauch moved the Phillies bullpen from left to right field so that the bullpen coach could determine whether a ball was going to hit the right field "Spite Fence" and wave a towel to assist the base runner and base coaches if that was the case. One Sunday doubleheader I watched Mauch race out of the dugout to require the Dodgers to remove laboring starting pitcher Joe Moeller on the second visit to the mound that inning. There was nobody warming up. Mauch's weakness was that he tended to over-manage in crucial situations, but he was playing with a relatively weak hand talent wise. Mauch certainly belongs in the Hall for his contributions to game, despite a losing record and no championships, instead of the relatively dim-witted Walter Alston who had great talent and ownership patience.

Thanks for your insight, Don.

kane

EOG master

Some claim Buck set the foundation, others claim he was the force holding back his teams.

Buck has won the AL Manager of the Year award three times with three different teams (Yanks in '94, Rangers in '04 and Orioles in '14).

That's pretty impressive, and check out the O's record in the years leading up to him getting hired, and their record since he's been there. I agree with you, I would go with the setting the foundation

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

I remember his tough stances on braving the cold outdoors in Minneapolis.

In hindsight, maybe some gloves and hand warmers would have been the way to go.
we did not lose too many home playoff games

the dallas game in 77 they cheated on that Hail Mary

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated

Marty Schott. You could see the guy visibly wilt in the playoffs, playing not to lose, as opposed to the regular season playing to win:

Marty Schottenheimer
[TABLE="width: 497"]

[TH="colspan: 2, align: center"][/TH]

[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]Head coaching record[/TD]

Regular season:

200–126–1 (.613)

Postseason:

6–13 (.316)

[/TABLE]

railbird

EOG Master

its not all about W-L record, its about what coach does w given talent

railbird

EOG Master

my juco baseball coach is winningest juco coach of all time with 800 win pct, he went and coached A ball a year and went 27-71 40 games out of 1st, some get exposed without talent edge

El Chapo

Banned

3 near misses.

The epic collapse of the '64 Phillies and 2 deciding-game losses in the ALCS.

Lost in 5 in '82 (after leading 2-0 in the Series) and 7 in '86 (blew a 3-1 Series lead and lost Game 5 in Anaheim after taking a 5-2 lead into the 9th, the game that he was on the top step of the dugout, one strike away from the WS before Donnie Moore surrendered a backbreaking 2-out 2 run hr).

3 near misses.

kane

EOG master

3 near misses.

The epic collapse of the '64 Phillies and 2 deciding-game losses in the ALCS.

Lost in 5 in '82 (after leading 2-0 in the Series) and 7 in '86 (blew a 3-1 Series lead and lost Game 5 in Anaheim after taking a 5-2 lead into the 9th, the game that he was on the top step of the dugout, one strike away from the WS before Donnie Moore surrendered a backbreaking 2-out 2 run hr).

3 near misses.

I remember that HR, Dave Henderson I believe hit it, then Donnie Moore killed himself

Valuist

EOG Master

Showalter is a top 5 manager in MLB.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

How did Gene Mauch get so much love from the writers and broadcasters of the time?

He managed for nearly three decades.

Mauch loved "small ball" and he's credited by some for creating the now-popular "double-switch."

Gene Mauch ruined my childhood.....especially in 1964.....

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

Tom Thibodeau is on track until he does,and Jeff Van Gundy bailed out before he did...