BOLD Prediction -- The YANKEES will win at least 110 games this year!

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: BOLD Prediction -- The YANKEES will win at least 110 games this year!

SHAVEN, MORE IMPORTANT......HOWS KRISTEN DOING.......

I agree the Yanks will be great this year.. 110 is a little high. But I believe their division got weaker. Boston is making a mistake moving Papelbon to a starter role. Their bullpen will blow many games. O's have no pitching. TB is TB. Toronto had a great year last year. Frank Thomas is over the hill. He sold his soul for one last good year last year. I would not be surprised at all if we find out that he was on something last year and now his body is going to start falling apart.

I put the Yanks about about 100 wins. I agree with Mo's analysis of the starters but the yanks will also win many high scoring games where the middle relief and bullpen get the wins. You don't need 3 20 game winners. They might have 2 20 game winners though. Wang and either Mussina/Pettite.

YOU YANKEE FANS ARE REALLY OUT OF YOUR MIND!!

WANG/PETTITE/MUSSINA!! Will do well to win 45 games between the 3 of them!! and thats if WANG wins 18. You guys are living in the past!! Those last two will be lucky if they make 25 starts!!!:finger004

munson15

I want winners...

Madman, I was a season ticket holder in '77, drove over 2 hours each way to see over 40 games that year, so you presume correctly!:cheers

I just know that the pitching has not improved sufficiently to put them over 100 wins. Pettitte had a 4.20 ERA in the National League last year. I don't think we're getting the Pettitte of 2003 or earlier. To me, he replaces Johnson, who at least took the ball all year.

Who knows what, if anything, we get out of Igawa or Pavano? The '96-'00 teams were primarily pitching-defense type clubs, the rotisserie-style offense we've been assembling ever since hasn't worked in October. Remember when they'd be in the Series back then and they had no top 10 guys in HR's or RBI? Those teams moved runners, didn't give any runs away, and pitched lights out.

Remember the saying they had then "get him over, get him in?" Never would you see them leaving runners at 3rd w/ less than 2 outs, they were the masters of the cheap run, the tack-on score, etc. I don't see that in these power-laden teams of the last few years.

I do believe that Cashman is trying to get back to that style of ball, and that's why he's trading aging stars for multiple young arms. I'll be watching many of those guys from the 2nd row here at AAA this year. I'm excited about our future, but I don't see us simply slugging our way to 110 wins. Keep in mind, the difference in our forecasts is about a win every 2 weeks, so you might be right anyway. I wouldn't bet on it, but I hope you're right!

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

kristen's doing great Devil... had a very nice Valentine's night last night.. I'll post the pics... haha...

Tony- should be a great Boston-Yanks season.. Both teams have lots of question marks... 2nd basemen Pedroia is going to kill you guys....

The RED SOX are alot better than last season!!!

2006:
1. crisp
2. lorettaa
3. ortiz
4. manny
5. yyouk
6. nixon
7. lowell
8. varitek
9. gonzo

2007:
1. lugo
2. youk
3. ortiz
4. manny
5. drew
6. lowell
7. varitek
8. crisp
9. pedrioa imo has a chance to be the rookie of the year!! if Dice K doesn't blow it up!! and he may!!

The pitching is a TON better on paper [which is all anyone has right now] and don't be surprised if PAP is the closer, if LESTER is as healthy as he looks!!

I don't really care about the yankees!! But I know for a fact the RED SOX are better!!! :houra

110 games in what year? 2007? smokin crack again?

kristen's doing great Devil... had a very nice Valentine's night last night.. I'll post the pics... haha...

Tony- should be a great Boston-Yanks season.. Both teams have lots of question marks... 2nd basemen Pedroia is going to kill you guys....

I agree about the season!!

But I have a bet on Pedroia to be the rookie of the year!!

He is a hard nosed kid with alot of pop!! and above avg glove!! I have been following this guys and he is the perfect fit!!!:cheers

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Madman, I was a season ticket holder in '77, drove over 2 hours each way to see over 40 games that year, so you presume correctly!:cheers

I just know that the pitching has not improved sufficiently to put them over 100 wins. Pettitte had a 4.20 ERA in the National League last year. I don't think we're getting the Pettitte of 2003 or earlier. To me, he replaces Johnson, who at least took the ball all year.

Who knows what, if anything, we get out of Igawa or Pavano? The '96-'00 teams were primarily pitching-defense type clubs, the rotisserie-style offense we've been assembling ever since hasn't worked in October. Remember when they'd be in the Series back then and they had no top 10 guys in HR's or RBI? Those teams moved runners, didn't give any runs away, and pitched lights out.

Remember the saying they had then "get him over, get him in?" Never would you see them leaving runners at 3rd w/ less than 2 outs, they were the masters of the cheap run, the tack-on score, etc. I don't see that in these power-laden teams of the last few years.

I do believe that Cashman is trying to get back to that style of ball, and that's why he's trading aging stars for multiple young arms. I'll be watching many of those guys from the 2nd row here at AAA this year. I'm excited about our future, but I don't see us simply slugging our way to 110 wins. Keep in mind, the difference in our forecasts is about a win every 2 weeks, so you might be right anyway. I wouldn't bet on it, but I hope you're right!

Great stuff Munson!

But look at the Yankees lineup...They only have 2 legit 30+ homer guys. The rest are OBP guys.

Damon
Jeter
Abreu
Matsui
Cano

These are 15-25 homer guys who are solid on the bases and all play the game real hard.

Giambi and Arod are the only sluggers (though I wouldnt say Arod is just a slugger)

I think they will score alot of runs this year the old fashion way. Hitting and running. Always gettuing guys home from 3rd. Remember last yr they played 70% of the season without Matsui, Sheffield, and Cano.

This isnt the slugging Yankees. If you go thru all teams in the AL you will see more home run threats on other rosters.

I like this years team makeup. 110 games baby!

Oh and by the way....Pettitte never pitched to a low ERA.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

110 games in what year? 2007? smokin crack again?

Is this the most outlandish prediction you have ever seen? Its not impossible. And I think it will happen.

Topflight

EOG Addicted

But its so damn addictive :houra

How many do you think they will win?

Probably somewhere in the high 90's. The East have 3 competitive teams (NY, Boston, Toronto) as opposed to previous years when it was just NY or Boston for the division title. The bullpen isn't what it was and Wang isn't a lock to win anywhere close to 20 games. 162 game seasons have a way of dropping surprises when least you expect it.

munson15

I want winners...

Your point on Pettitte's ERA is well-taken, I'm actually more concerned that he'll be on the DL long enough to force us into using lesser pitchers which will cost some W's.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Probably somewhere in the high 90's. The East have 3 competitive teams (NY, Boston, Toronto) as opposed to previous years when it was just NY or Boston for the division title. The bullpen isn't what it was and Wang isn't a lock to win anywhere close to 20 games. 162 game seasons have a way of dropping surprises when least you expect it.

Tornto and Boston were both strong last year and The Yankees managed to still win 97 games without Matsui and Sheffield for most of the season and without Cano for 40 games. And dont forget that Arod 2 mos slump. I think they will be better this year, especially healthier.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Your point on Pettitte's ERA is well-taken, I'm actually more concerned that he'll be on the DL long enough to force us into using lesser pitchers which will cost some W's.

Pettitte always had stints on the DL with the Yankees. Back then they had capable replacements. Now I am not so sure. Hopefully Pavano can show us something. Maybe Hughes will be this years Jered Weaver.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Madcapper- agree with your last statement.. 97 wins... Sheffield, Matsui out most of the season.. Pitching staff was in shambles ALL season.. This year's staff is much stronger and you have everyone healthy. Abreu starting out the year with the team. They will be very strong this year. Yanks-Phillies series...

munson15

I want winners...

They want Hughes to stay in Scranton all year and not exceed 180 innings. He's a real gem, and they're going to treat him like one. He's so young they're still building his endurance for a full season, so I don't see him in NY in '07 unless he's unhittable in AAA, or circumstances are dire.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Madcapper- agree with your last statement.. 97 wins... Sheffield, Matsui out most of the season.. Pitching staff was in shambles ALL season.. This year's staff is much stronger and you have everyone healthy. Abreu starting out the year with the team. They will be very strong this year. Yanks-Phillies series...

You're coming around now, my friend. How does it feel? :)

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

They want Hughes to stay in Scranton all year and not exceed 180 innings. He's a real gem, and they're going to treat him like one. He's so young they're still building his endurance for a full season, so I don't see him in NY in '07 unless he's unhittable in AAA, or circumstances are dire.

I have a funny feeling he will be pitching in the Bronx by June!

If not him...then Clemens.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

yeah, I've been high on them for this season for awhile.. To get 110 you basically have to win every 3 games series 2-1... Figure they will sweep lots of series as well. The amount of pitches this lineup will see will get them into the other team's bullpen very fast. Then its bad news for other teams.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

yeah, I've been high on them for this season for awhile.. To get 110 you basically have to win every 3 games series 2-1... Figure they will sweep lots of series as well. The amount of pitches this lineup will see will get them into the other team's bullpen very fast. Then its bad news for other teams.

How true is that! YESSS!

1. Damon (sees pitches)
2. Jeter (sees pitches)
3. Abreu (sees millions of pitches) I love him!
4. Arod (eh not so much)
5. Giambi (sees tons of pitches)
6. Matsui (sees pitches)

top 6 in that lineup can wear pitchers out..

Oh and yea by the way...Cano a .342 batter last year will be batting 9th probably!

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

yanks also have Mientkiewciz to steal the ball from the last play of this upcoming World Series... that's nice...

Not to mention the good karma surrounding the honoring of Corey Lidle...

munson15

I want winners...

Guys, I still have to disagree. The way to 110 wins or close to it, is solid starting pitching nearly every game. There are going to be games that they fall way behind, this will cost games.

And in October, they face better pitchers who don't fall behind in counts. They need to learn how to win 2-1 games again.

Back to the topic of 110 wins, what good does that do if we don't wear the crown? It's been 7 years, the Boss isn't getting any younger, and the last time we won it all, the season log was 87-74.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Guys, I still have to disagree. The way to 110 wins or close to it, is solid starting pitching nearly every game. There are going to be games that they fall way behind, this will cost games.

And in October, they face better pitchers who don't fall behind in counts. They need to learn how to win 2-1 games again.

Back to the topic of 110 wins, what good does that do if we don't wear the crown? It's been 7 years, the Boss isn't getting any younger, and the last time we won it all, the season log was 87-74.

Obviously as a fan I'll take 85 wins and w World Series. But I want to have an exciting day by day thing going on as well. I think they can pull off 110.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

yanks also have Mientkiewciz to steal the ball from the last play of this upcoming World Series... that's nice...

Not to mention the good karma surrounding the honoring of Corey Lidle...

Dougie will help def in the late innings.

karma? I will believe when I see.

More Karma from Johnson leaving than from anything else.

munson15

I want winners...

After sitting in the Stadium on October 20, 2004, I'm afraid I've fallen into the trap of WS or bust. The regular season feels like the preliminary fight, w/ the playoffs being the main event. It's nice to watch them on YES when they're beating Cleveland in July, but beating the Red Sox, and winning it all, is the only thing that will get that taste out of my mouth. That night, and that whole week after being up 3-0, was the worst baseball feeling of my life.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

After sitting in the Stadium on October 20, 2004, I'm afraid I've fallen into the trap of WS or bust. The regular season feels like the preliminary fight, w/ the playoffs being the main event. It's nice to watch them on YES when they're beating Cleveland in July, but beating the Red Sox, and winning it all, is the only thing that will get that taste out of my mouth. That night, and that whole week after being up 3-0, was the worst baseball feeling of my life.

I agree. I couldnt watch ESPN or listen to sports radio.

That was terrible. But for some reason 2001 was worse. Just the fact that it was the best World Series I have ever seen and been too, only to blow game 7 like that.

2003 hurt like hell too. Yankees should have swept Florida! Wells and Weaver killed them!

munson15

I want winners...

Were you at the Brosius game or the Tino game in '01?

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

2001 was worse.. Left work early yetserday because of the snow and was watching 2001 Game 7 on ESPN classic.. Was almost sick to my stomach watching that crap 9th inning... That damn Womack and then the broken bat bloop over the drawn in infield.. horrible...

munson15

I want winners...

Brosius, and the guy who I went with was at BOTH! Drove from Scranton both nights, he had no voice from the night before!

munson15

I want winners...

Shaven, Brosius says the fact that Mo didn't go for 2 on the bunt play was the key to the inning.

munson15

I want winners...

I'm sorry, memory's getting hazy, Brosius held the ball, when he should have gotten 2, right? You just saw it, help me out here!

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

I blame it all on Torre. He screwed up bringing the infield in with a man on 1st and 3rd and slow man Luis Gonzalez up. All we needed was a DP to get out of it. And what happens. Jeter comes in. Gonzo hits a sure bloop out to where Jeter usually plays but because hes playing in it goes over his head. D-Backs win! He should have left the infield back and play for the D.

Oh and Rivera's huge mental error on a sure GIDP didnt help things either.

DAMN!

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

1st and 2nd no outs.... Jay Bell comes up and bunts right back to Rivera.. Rivera throws to 3rd. Brosius had time to go to 1st for a double play since it was a fast play and Jay Bell is a slow runner. He held it instead. Some people say Rivera should have gone to 2nd base and tried to turn 2. Personally I think he was right going to 3rd. You can still get 2. But if you don't you still leave the tying run off of third. If they got 2, Womack still ties it on a single. But the infield would not have been in on Gonzalez's bloop and Jeter catches it. The ball landed in the infield dirt. So, we would have gone extra innings...

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

madcapper- it was 1 out and the bases loaded... womack got a double and then Counsell got hit. I like wwhat Torre did. Rivera gets a lot of broken bat infield grounders which they might not turn 2 on.. Had to bring it in.. The Rivera throw away on the first bunt was the killer....

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks, I still feel (even though I couldn't remember who did what) that THAT was the biggest regret they had, not getting 2 outs on what was a terrible bunt, and the usually heady Brosius not making a play he sould have.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Another killer was their bats.. In the 7th, yanks were down 1-0.. They tied it on 3 straight hits.. Had 1st and 2nd no outs and didn't get any more runs... Posada can't bunt so he swung away and popped out instead of moving the runners up.. That was a killer...

munson15

I want winners...

No question, but I gotta admit, '01 and '03 were MUCH easier on the brain than '04 since Boston wasn't involved. The other mitigating factors for me were that I had just seen the most exciting WS game (the Brosius HR game) of my life, it couldn't be considered ALL bad.

Also, I traveled to Oakland (season ticket holder since'95) for a Monday night pummeling of the Broncos on Nov. 5, so flying home on the plane, I couldn't get angry over game 7 because I had seen 2 fantastic sporting events within a couple of days, and "New York, New York" was still playing in my head at full volume!

munson15

I want winners...

And 2003 wasn't a total loss in my mind because I had attended the Aaron Boone game! Before we left 161st St. that night, people already had T-shirts on that said "Babe, Bucky, Buckner, BOONE!" I guess magic marker under the shirt they were already wearing.:houra So even though the WS was a blown opportunity, you could take solace in the 1918 shit, and torturing them some more.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Damn Munson.. you are lucky.. I was at Game 6 the night before the Boone game... I was all psyched that I was at the game that would put the yanks in the world series and they lost... Then the Boone game was the next night.

munson15

I want winners...

All right, being that this IS a gambling forum, and in the intereests of full disclosure, I also must divulge that a small reason I found 2004 to be the worst Yankee postseason failure for me was that I lost NINE dimes on the outcome!!:doh1