Chet Coppock dead @ 70

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
OUCH! Hate to hear this. No idea about any details but to die in a car crash is hard to take.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
OUCH! Hate to hear this. No idea about any details but to die in a car crash is hard to take.
He was a legend in Chicago sports, basically their George Michael (sports machine fame). He was the first host of sports talk radio in Chicago that I remember. Kind of pompous but his contributions were major back in the late 70s to now.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Loved FW's comparison between Coppock and George Michael.

I still remember one of Coppock's headlines during the baseball strike of 1994: No runs, no hits, no baseball.

He was a showman and one of the first "look-at-me" sportscasters.

Last edited:

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
I think Chet use to tout on Feist morning show.

NBC sports anchor for Chicago (WMAQ) in 70's/80's too.

Was first talk radio for sports BEFORE WSCR (the Score) started around 92, and before sports radio became mainstream.

Heim

EOG Master
Wayne Allyn Root@RealWayneRoot

I’m devastated. One of my great buddies has died. Chet was a Chicago sports legend. One of a kind. The host of my WinningEDGE national tv show for many years. We had a blast in vegas every Wednesday. I miss you already Big Chet. #legend

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I think Chet use to tout on Feist morning show.

NBC sports anchor for Chicago (WMAQ) in 70's/80's too.

Was first talk radio for sports BEFORE WSCR (the Score) started around 92, and before sports radio became mainstream.
I forgot about him going tout.

The only sports radio in the 80’s was his show and The Sportswriters.

kane

EOG master
I forgot about him going tout.

The only sports radio in the 80’s was his show and The Sportswriters.

I used to enjoy that show, Rick Tellander, Bill Jauss, and I can't recall the other two guys, one of them was an old timer who was always chomping on a cigar

skinny

EOG Addicted
I used to enjoy that show, Rick Tellander, Bill Jauss, and I can't recall the other two guys, one of them was an old timer who was always chomping on a cigar
I think it was called the sports reporters with Mike lupica, John saunders and a couple others.

howid

EOG Dedicated
caught many wlup broadcasts across the lake in ontario back in the day... coppock followed steve and gary.

in the morning, jonathan brandmeier.

awesome lineup.

kane

EOG master
I think it was called the sports reporters with Mike lupica, John saunders and a couple others.

The show I'm thinking of was different, it was based out of Chicago, I know the one you're talking about, but I'm thinking of a different one

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Bill Gleason and Ben Bentley were two of the other personalities featured on the Chicago edition of "The Sportswriters."

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One broadcaster in Chicago mocked Coppock by calling him "Chet Chit Chat."

Coppock laughed all the way to the bank.

gravy

EOG Addicted
I remember listening to him on AM 1000 in Chicago on a clear night picking him up on the radio sad to hear the news

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Chet/Wayne on Winning Edge. I knew Chet was associated w/ Wayne's group. Couldn't remember if Chet actually touted...or was just the host:

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Kane, here's a clip. Sports Writers on TV was really a generation ahead of the shit-storm that ESPN (and others) are shoving down our throats. Note how irreverent the commentary is. I WISH I could find the episode w/ Gene Siskel on as a guest:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My favorite feature of The Sports Writers on TV: I believe they would keep talking through the commercial breaks so it was basically one hourlong conversation.

ChiTownJoe

EOG Dedicated
I would always catch the Sportswriters on TV, good memories. That show and watching Mike Paradise go over the Hawthorne/Maywood/Sportsman Harness races replays weren't missed too often in the mid 80's.

JK, I think they would have that typewriter sound effect and the guys would keep rambling into the commercial break, but then the commercials would play. Then they would come back from commercials and the guys would still be talking. At least that is how I remember the show going.

DotPark

EOG Addicted
As a Boston guy The Sportwriters was shown on cable here 25 years ago.... It was a fantastic show.
Coppock also hosted another show where he interviewed a sports celeb and took phone calls on the air from viewers across the country. I really enjoyed his interview style and his approach.
He had a classic line, "your dime your dance floor." to callers. He was smooth.
Very sad

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good memories, DotPark.

Coppock also wrote five books and I believe one of the books had a working title of something like, "Your Dime, My Dance Floor."

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Listened to Les Grobstein the other night to hear his thoughts on the passing of Chet Coppock.

Grobstein hosts an overnight show on WSCR-670AM.

Hard to believe, Grobstein met Coppock in the early 1970's.

They knew one another for 48 years.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
"Grobber" is more of an historian than a shrewd observer.

Chicago sports trivia buff.

Last edited:

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
I didn't know that much about Coopock's career having grown up and lived my entire life in Houston, Texas. The guy had quite a career except for the maybe 5 year stint pimping for slime ball Wayne Root.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I didn't know that much about Coopock's career having grown up and lived my entire life in Houston, Texas. The guy had quite a career except for the maybe 5 year stint pimping for slime ball Wayne Root.

A definite blemish on Coppock's résumé.

boston massacre

EOG Master

Hosting Wayne Root's Show.

That's how I knew of him.

National T.V. on Root's Show.

Other than that, never heard of him.