Del Mar 2019

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Opening day for the 36-day meet is Wednesday, July 17.

Closing day is Monday, September 2 (Labor Day).

Wednesday's card will feature 10 races with first post of 2:00 p.m. PT.

Del Mar plans to maintain a five-day racing week from Wednesdays through Sundays with six days of racing on the final week.

Only five Grade I races this meet (Saratoga will present 18 Grade I races) with the $1 million Pacific Classic on Saturday, August 17 serving as the signature race of the meet.

Last edited:

waco

EOG Dedicated
I will be there on the 27th. We got a table outside near the finish line. $150 and no food or drink included!! But I feel I’m at the OSCARS watching all these beautiful women!! The only thing I can’t do at this track is pick a winner. It’s a tough track to handicap but looking forward to my yearly trip!!

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
Was it last year that for like the entire opening 3-4 days, whichever horse had the highest last-out Beyer won the race? Maybe two years ago.

blueline

EOG Master
on the DMR overnight if someone comes from SoCal or out of state to the NoCal sale at PLN and spends at least 3500 they get a 500 travel allowance

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
more than 2 hours to post already 51K in the pick 5 pool

The enthusiasm for early Pick 5 pools with reduced takeouts is great to see.

Now if the racetracks would give us at least one decent field size in the five-race sequence.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The enthusiasm for early Pick 5 pools with reduced takeouts is great to see.

Now if the racetracks would give us at least one decent field size in the five-race sequence.

For whatever its worth, Race #5 today at Delmar has 12 entries and 2 also eligibles, and seems to be a wild scramble (before scratches).

Also, the other four races with smaller fields appear to have many ways to go.

Knock yourself out. If you can bomb in some higher odds horses you might get a nice payday.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Twenty-six horses are entered over Del Mar's first four races today.

Del Mar conspires against the best bet in racing, a Pick 5 wager with a 14% takeout.

Go to Del Mar's website and try to find the racetrack's takeout rates.

I quit looking after a 15-minute search.

Tsk tsk.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Meantime, racetracks promote a Rainbow or Jackpot Pick 6 with an effective daily takeout of 60-70%.

It's the worst bet at the track until mandatory payout day arrives.

Ugh.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for the heads-up.

See you in August.

I will invite my friend, David Dineen, to join us for lunch or dinner.

David is now working at the University of Nevada.

Take care of yourself and your family, Bob.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
It was good to hear Trevor Denman's voice again.

But where was his signature line ("There's the roar from the crowd...") on Opening Day at Del Mar?

Julius won the opener by 11 1/4 lengths.

Bejarano provided strong urging at the eighth pole and then took hold of the horse late.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Looks like Del Mar is not going to display the odds of the horses as they break from the gate.

Instead, they will show the running order using the little chicklets at the bottom of the screen and then once the final odds are available (about 20 seconds after the horses break from the gate) the closing odds are displayed below each horse's chicklet.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Attendance was 31,276.

Last year's Opening Day crowd was 33,112.

All-sources handle on Wednesday was more than $14.8 million.

The best number from Opening Day: Zero horse fatalities.

Eighty-eight horses competed, incident-free.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Clear the Mine nailed Ted W in deep stretch to win Wednesday's third race in a desperate finish.

The favorite beat the second choice by a neck.

Chalk, chalk, chalk in the meet's first three races.

The 50-cent Pick 3 paid $8.50.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Second choice wins the fourth race.

Getting bored watching the replays.

One quick thought: I assume it's a safe time to claim a horse in southern California because there are so many safeguards now in place to guarantee the soundness of horses in action.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The three biggest betting pools of the day: Late Pick 4 (847K), Early Pick 5 (802K) and Late Pick 5 (771K).

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The two mandatory payout days for the Jackpot Pick 6 are August 17 and September 2.

That's Pacific Classic Day and of course Closing Day.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Photo finish in the Oceanside Stakes goes to the John Sadler-trained Jasikan with Flavien Prat aboard.

1563438958609.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
A formful Opening Day at Del Mar.

Favorites won seven of the day's 10 races with second choices accounting for two races and a 6/1 shot winning the other event.