Let public decide, not government.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Can’t ban everything you don’t like.

Let public decide, not government.

Hello ADC.

A crowd of 31,000-plus enjoyed yesterday's action at Del Mar.

More than $18 million was wagered on the Opening Day card.

Protesters held signs that read, "You bet. They die."

Yikes!

Most horse people I know love their horses.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Freak training accident killed two horses this morning at Del Mar.

Del Mar said the accident occurred near the six-furlong pole when Charge A Bunch, trained by Carla Gaines, threw his rider, Geovanni Franco, and turned sharply. It collided with another horse, Carson Valley, who was completing a four-furlong workout for Baffert and jockey Assael Espinoza.

Source: USA Today

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Freak training accident killed two horses this morning at Del Mar.

Del Mar said the accident occurred near the six-furlong pole when Charge A Bunch, trained by Carla Gaines, threw his rider, Geovanni Franco, and turned sharply. It collided with another horse, Carson Valley, who was completing a four-furlong workout for Baffert and jockey Assael Espinoza.

Source: USA Today

Thanks for clarifying JK....Rail just throws stuff out there recklessly.....

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
JK thats a freak accident?? It was an accident yes as in not intentional and there were some out of control things that happened after Carla was thrown.
but these two deaths were more like a potential situation that could be avoided. Two healthy horses both die, better staging of works, timing, less works in company, works are like some giant free for all at the track, more info in the ears of the riders for a loose horse. Im not saying horses cant collide and die ever even in some random field but this is not what in industry would call a freak accident or act of God sort of accident. That is actually somewhat controllable and even predictable for that matter with the processes they have doing daily.

the freak accident is the horses all out and a bone goes, nothing at all you can do there unless some preexisting condition was known about and horse was run into the ground anyway.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Just curious, why are the lives of horses so much more important than all the other ones? Billions of animals are used and killed yearly, and they dont die well, horses are used for racing, if a few die racing how is that different?

alldaycapper

EOG Veteran
Hello ADC.

A crowd of 31,000-plus enjoyed yesterday's action at Del Mar.

More than $18 million was wagered on the Opening Day card.

Protesters held signs that read, "You bet. They die."

Yikes!

Most horse people I know love their horses.

I was there JK. Lightest opening day crowd I’ve ever seen. It felt more like a wake than a party.

Protesters actually had horse flesh outside. Doug O’Neill took exception and confronted them. Country gets stranger by the day.

Hope all is well.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
These protesters are extreme and relentless.

I credit O'Neill for confronting them.

He said the protesters were scaring kids.

Bringing real horseflesh to the racetrack?

Wow!

All I want to do is the bet the early Pick 5.

Valuist

EOG Master
Hollendorfer will win that court battle vs Santa Anita and its important he does.

He had something like 1 breakdown in 575 races over 3 years before this year and this was nothing more than a publicity stunt by Stronach Group.

Last edited by a moderator:

E$

EOG Dedicated
I agree with Railbird on this one (wow, I wasn’t sure I could actually type that.)

With all the stuff our government won’t allow, I don’t understand how this is ok. I feel the same way about UFC.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
Hollendorfer will win that court battle vs Santa Anita and its important he does.

He had something like 1 breakdown in 575 races over 3 years before this year and this was nothing more than a publicity stunt by Stronach Group.

But it’s okay that he drugs his horses? Cmon.., I’m on pace to put 7 figures into the handle this year.. I love the sport and horses.. but even I’ll admit the sport is dirty and many trainers cheat. Including him.

Valuist

EOG Master
PETA losing steam with Hollendorfer, who can race in New York. They have a new target: the CEO of Jimmy Johns.