EOG's Grand Challenge presented by BetDSI (Railbird is our December contestant)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Rules:

1. Contestant will post 30 plays in 30 days (one play per day) starting the first of the month.
  2. Games must be played within a 30-day time frame.
  3. Major North American team sports only: NFL, NCAAF, NHL, NBA, NCAAB, MLB, MLS, CFL and WNBA.
  4. Full-game sides and totals -110 or LOWER.
  5. Contestants are graded against Pinnacle numbers at the time of post.
  6. Must hit 60% or better to be declared a winner of the $1,000 prize.
  7. Cannot play both sides of the same game.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
2021 Grand Challenge contestants:

January - Viejo Dinosaur

February - Texed

March - NowshesmyRuca

April - Trytrytry

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I don't like the guy but if he sticks to just west coast college basketball games......he is a lock to win this.

If he steps outside the western time zone......no chance.

Handicapping the handicapper.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
RAILBIRD is not perfect and he'd be the first to say so.

We all could use more empathy in our lives.

More precisely, UNBOUNDED empathy.

One of Barack Obama's great lines during his presidency: "Our country's empathy deficit is greater than our federal deficit."

P.S. - I'm asking EOG contributor BOMZEE for forgiveness after citing a Barack Obama quote.

I once corrected a BOMZEE contribution here at EOG when BOMZEE wrote "obama."

I reflexively capitalized the "O" in BOMZEE's "obama."

The usually mild-mannered BOMZEE eviscerated me shortly thereafter with several biting comments not fit for print.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
EOG GC has had 98 contestants plus 2 who had aborted tries with 17 successes. Rail is the 101st to start the challenge.

Rail had produced no >=60% months, but has a profit in all of his 3 tries, going a collective 46-36-6, +8.2u (56.1%) and several of his game losses were by failure to submit a pick in the daily format.

Good luck Rail.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
EOG GC has had 98 contestants plus 2 who had aborted tries with 17 successes. Rail is the 101st to start the challenge.

Rail had produced no >=60% months, but has a profit in all of his 3 tries, going a collective 46-36-6, +8.2u (56.1%) and several of his game losses were by failure to submit a pick in the daily format.

Good luck Rail.

Here's hoping Viejo Dinosaur reads the above contribution.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I would love to do this but under the pathetic guidelines set forth I have no desire to do this. Telling someone that hitting 60% and winning around 4.8 units is better than hitting 50% and winning (say) 8 units is a joke and no place but here is that seen as being better. I know things will never change which is why this entire thing is a debacle.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Here's hoping Viejo Dinosaur reads the above contribution.

I read it....that’s why it is difficult to win the contest....but who would pass to win free money?
That’s why Rail has had four shots...18-12 is not easy....you wouldn’t see guys lining up to win 1000 if you had to put up 100 bucks....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I would love to do this but under the pathetic guidelines set forth I have no desire to do this. Telling someone that hitting 60% and winning around 4.8 units is better than hitting 50% and winning (say) 8 units is a joke and no place but here is that seen as being better. I know things will never change which is why this entire thing is a debacle.

"Debacle" feels a little strong, Wink.

After all, it's a free contest/promotion supported by BetDSI.

A mark of 18 wins and 12 losses from 30 selections is an easy-to-remember task compared to profits of 4.8 units where underdog prices of 2/1 or better would be submitted in desperation over the final few days of competition.

I like the term of the event (monthly), the frequency of the selections (daily) and the degree of difficulty in winning the event (17%).

What's more, the name of the event (EOG's Grand Challenge) is catchy.

Last edited:

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
"Debacle" feels a little strong, Wink.

After all, it's a free contest/promotion supported by BetDSI.

A mark of 18 wins and 12 losses from 30 selections is an easy-to-remember task compared to profits of 4.8 units where underdog prices of 2/1 or better would be submitted in desperation over the final few days of competition.

I like the term of the event (monthly), the frequency of the selections (daily) and the difficulty of winning the event (17%).

What's more, the name of the event (EOG's Grand Challenge) is catchy.

The actual term I wanted to use was: Farce

An -110 play theoretically has a 50/50 chance of cashing
A +200 play has a 33% chance of cashing
A +150 play has a 40% chance of cashing

If people are willing to take a shot at a play with a lesser chance of cashing they should be rewarded for it. Put a limit of +200 or +300 on dog plays if you are worried about someone down near the end of the month hoping to hit a long shot and win this

I stand by what I said. THIS is the ONLY place where 4.8 units is seen as being better than winning more than that

Last edited by a moderator:

railbird

EOG Master
The actual term I wanted to use was: Farce

An -110 play theoretically has a 50/50 chance of cashing
A +200 play has a 33% chance of cashing
A +150 play has a 40% chance of cashing

If people are willing to take a shot at a play with a lesser chance of cashing they should be rewarded for it. Put a limit of +200 or +300 on dog plays if you are worried about someone down near the end of the month hoping to hit a long shot and win this

I stand by what I said. THIS is the ONLY place where 4.8 units is seen as being better than winning more than that
underdogs ml's were allowed in the eog octagon, you never wanted to participate.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
Bullshit. You don’t want the scrutiny. It’s ok the spotlight heat isn’t for everyone. It’s a free contest that you pick apart cause you lack balls.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
Lol wut? It's a free roll Sling Blade

ouch

EOG Dedicated
When three of my favorite EOG guys (AA, Jas, and Toby) slam you in consecutive posts, it is time to go full Michigan and wave the white flag.