FairWarning: My friend in Michigan

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
says he will be allowed to remain on unemployment if they pass a new extension even though his benefit year is ending next week. He was a cook at a restaurant and got fired eventually.

He owes me some cash and said he will pay me back once he gets extra money from this, I know he is kinda struggling but I don't want to make things more uneasy for him. I'm just interested in your thoughts on will this guy actually be allowed to remain on unemployment more than a year? If he is then I'm under the impression he will get an extra $400 a week? I think it might be time to get my cash, no?

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
I would rephrase the thread title. At first I thought you were implying that FairWarning himself owed you money, but I believe you're just routing the question through him because he is a Michigan resident, correct?

(and I believe that FW works, at least tangentially, in the restaurant business as well.)

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Correct. He doesn't owe me money. I was just asking because he is familiar with the business, unemployment and he's in Michigan.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Define 'some", and he should have been on a payment plan long ago before the next stimulus bill is voted on. You could only have so much sympathy for those who sleep on their debts or make excuses.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I know Jimmy. I'm started to feel that way. I know he can't be on the brink of homelessness. He is still on unemployment getting money.

So I will need to push the issue and not have as much sympathy anymore. He does have a kid though. He owes around $1500.

mr merlin

EOG Master
The extra money has already been reduced to $300 in the stimulus bill, also he's going to get the $1400 check right - perhaps several if he has a family? Never let things just slide, say fine, you cant pay it all back, what kind of payments can you afford? You gotta get something or it's unlikely you ever will.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
says he will be allowed to remain on unemployment if they pass a new extension even though his benefit year is ending next week. He was a cook at a restaurant and got fired eventually.

He owes me some cash and said he will pay me back once he gets extra money from this, I know he is kinda struggling but I don't want to make things more uneasy for him. I'm just interested in your thoughts on will this guy actually be allowed to remain on unemployment more than a year? If he is then I'm under the impression he will get an extra $400 a week? I think it might be time to get my cash, no?
The extra $400/week is based on the $1.9 trillion Stimilus package passing. I think it will last thru September. I guess he can game the system and get cash jobs while collecting unemployment. Eventually he will have to show he's looking for a job so he can still get benefits (unless its waived with the pandemic). Curious if he lives in my area (berrien county) - restaurants are always looking for cooks, and restaurants are opening to 50% today.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
The extra money has already been reduced to $300 in the stimulus bill, also he's going to get the $1400 check right - perhaps several if he has a family? Never let things just slide, say fine, you cant pay it all back, what kind of payments can you afford? You gotta get something or it's unlikely you ever will.
I do agree with this, even if its $25-50 a month.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
The extra $400/week is based on the $1.9 trillion Stimilus package passing. I think it will last thru September. I guess he can game the system and get cash jobs while collecting unemployment. Eventually he will have to show he's looking for a job so he can still get benefits (unless its waived with the pandemic). Curious if he lives in my area (berrien county) - restaurants are always looking for cooks, and restaurants are opening to 50% today.
Originally the $400 was supposed to last through the end of August. I know the Senate today is trying to stage a 'compromise' proposing the extended unemployment to $300, which is whrre it's at during this current stimulus, but extending the benefit time frame through the end of September.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Originally the $400 was supposed to last through the end of August. I know the Senate today is trying to stage a 'compromise' proposing the extended unemployment to $300, which is whrre it's at during this current stimulus, but extending the benefit time frame through the end of September.
It seems like the numbers keep changing on this. Of course everyone needs help in my area, but too many want to sit it out, knowing the additional funding is coming. It's too bad, because you can really make bank this summer. People really want to get out, even if its just for a weekend.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
It's been 45 days. Who hasn't played one round of golf? Who doesn't own golf resorts? What a difference Cancel Culture makes. For the good.

Last edited:

lap18

EOG Dedicated
It's been 45 days. Who hasn't played one round of golf? Who doesn't own golf resorts? What a difference Cancel Culture makes. For the good.
I know I'm paying 50 cents more a gallon for gas already. Prices of gas immediately up when the senile old fuck stopped the pipeline.