Football clock management

choslamshe

EOG Master
Watching games all weekend, it once again became apparent at how bad the majority of teams are at understanding "best practice" around clock management. You would think at this level there may even be professionals assigned to teams making sure they understand that in certain scenarios there are do's and don't's associated with how time is managed.

Off the top of my head, yesterday between the Bucs and Panthers, TB was up 1 score with about 4 minutes left, they had managed a first down and on their ensuing series, Brady is snapping the ball with 12 and 13 seconds left on consecutive plays.

Understanding that teams/players want to keep a certain flow to rhythm, cadence, etc., teams with the lead intentionally are keeping minutes on the clock for their opposition due what appears to be a lack of situational awareness.

Or maybe its just me....

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching games all weekend, it once again became apparent at how bad the majority of teams are at understanding "best practice" around clock management. You would think at this level there may even be professionals assigned to teams making sure they understand that in certain scenarios there are do's and don't's associated with how time is managed.

Off the top of my head, yesterday between the Bucs and Panthers, TB was up 1 score with about 4 minutes left, they had managed a first down and on their ensuing series, Brady is snapping the ball with 12 and 13 seconds left on consecutive plays.

Understanding that teams/players want to keep a certain flow to rhythm, cadence, etc., teams with the lead intentionally are keeping minutes on the clock for their opposition due what appears to be a lack of situational awareness.

Or maybe its just me....

This stuff drives a lot of people nuts. Teams hire consultants to talk to them about this during the offseason and even in season, but on game day with everyone responsible for everything else it doesn't get listened to. They should hire someone to be on the sidelines who has been involved in Arena football coaching, those guys know clock management and end game strategy to the expert level. Simple stuff like when to run the ball, when to throw sideline patterns, when to use the middle of the field are all basic strategy moves every team should be using.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
ComptrBob could sit at home and help all 32 NFL teams with clock management.

Of course, his Pinnacle account no longer could be active.