Former track announcer Jason Beem talks about his gambling addiction

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/eye-on-gaming/former-track-announcer-jason-beem-battles-gambling-addiction

Jason Beem, former track announcer at Portland Meadows and River Downs, joined hosts John Kelly and Alan Dinkenson to discuss his current battle against a gambling addiction.

Beem (@BeemieAwards) has not made a wager since December 5, 2010 and must fight off the temptation to make another bet every single day.

Beem, a popular figure in the horse racing industry, offered a scouting report on track announcers employed across the country.

railbird

EOG Master
Re: Former track announcer Jason Beem talks about his gambling addiction

i went to a couple of meetings at chrystal cathedral back in late 80's. room 103,free cookies. Hi my name is Matt, I gambled and lost, so Im here, if I gambled and won, Id be somewhere else

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted

i went to a couple of meetings at chrystal cathedral back in late 80's. room 103,free cookies. Hi my name is Matt, I gambled and lost, so Im here, if I gambled and won, Id be somewhere else
I think gambling addiction has helped ruin horse racing. It took me 30 years to realize I couldn't beat standardbred racing. There are so many drivers, trainers, and owners who bet that it at least creates the perception of fixed races. A guy I worked with years ago was the cousin of Danny "Kosher Boys" Kramer who fixed races at Yonkers and I believe helped ruin the career of Hall of Fame Driver Herve Filion. The cousin told me Danny Boy paid, at the time, the largest civil fine in the history of New York State but avoided jail time. He should not have avoided jail time. Just recently, a female Hispanic groom was arrested at PARX for milk shaking horses. I assume she took the fall for bigger fish. Yet, folks still bet horses at Yonkers and PARX.

I seldom bet horses any more and generally do it with house money my wife gets because she bets with both fists. Can't convince her that horses are purse folly. Once in a while she gets lucky and I get a tax form.

miggytoddbest

EOG Dedicated

As an owner of thoroughbred horses under Lindy Stables for a number of years we won a decent number of races. All at bush track Great Lakes Downs.

Being 100% honest my trainer was in the 6 or 7 trainer "click" that if you were not in you would very very rarely win.

At small tracks, with small purses due to lack of slot revenue, everyone got their turn that was in "click". To keep owners happy so that trainers kept jobs. In Michigan it costs owners roughly $1300 per month per horse regardless whether a nickel claimer or an allowance horse.

My trainer never said outright "it's our turn" but who got mount, others in race etc gave pretty good indication as well as I made it clear I don't need to make money doing this but I am not losing money either.

I got out once it finally became clear that Michigan would never have slots at the track making purses where they need to be to actually make money.
Spent many hours after races in bar with jockeys and trainers and they are all pretty good at keeping mouths shut even when drinking but enough said to understand.

At the Saratoga's and other"big tracks" I have no insight into how up and up things are. But as a fair warning, if you play smaller tracks where same half a dozen trainers win 80% of the races you are more than likely playing into "boat races"

Heim

EOG Master

I don't think you're a true gambler unless you've experienced some of the ups and downs this track announcer has gone thru. I remember thinking why the hell would Art Schlichter pick Vegas to live with his addiction. But here you're so saturated with gamble it takes the gamble out of you....it's no longer a high but a chore.

Mr Wonderful

EOG Veteran

Talked with him a few times out at Portland Meadows and was always a pleasure to talk to, glad to see he's is doing well.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Hope to recruit Jason to the program in early December.

On December 5, he will be celebrating his sixth anniversary.

I give him high marks for honesty and bravery.

Scatana Fas

EOG Addicted

Not the only track announcer with a serious addiction problem. John Bothe comes immediately to mind.

blueline

EOG Master

Portland Meadows is on my list of tracks I want to get to

howid

EOG Dedicated

can also remember a local race caller, well known to employ runners, saying, ''if this horse wants to win he'd better get out now,'' kind of giving away who his money was on.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Not the only track announcer with a serious addiction problem. John Bothe comes immediately to mind.

I remember Bothe's story.

Bothe once replaced Phil Georgeff during one of Phil's contract disputes at Arlington Park in the late 70's/early 80's.

Mr Wonderful

EOG Veteran

Portland Meadows is on my list of tracks I want to get to

Don't know why anyone would want to visit the dump as we like to call it but if you're out this way I'll be glad to show you around.

begood1000

EOG Enthusiast

Listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/eye-on-gaming/former-track-announcer-jason-beem-battles-gambling-addiction

Jason Beem, former track announcer at Portland Meadows and River Downs, joined hosts John Kelly and Alan Dinkenson to discuss his current battle against a gambling addiction.

Beem (@BeemieAwards) has not made a wager since December 5, 2010 and must fight off the temptation to make another bet every single day.

Beem, a popular figure in the horse racing industry, offered a scouting report on track announcers employed across the country.

Great job John, and an excellent guest. This is one of the few men I would like to meet. He is a smart, humble man. Jason, if you want "action" consider the stock market. It is not as fast, and I think with your mind, you can find some edges.

Keep up the great work JK!

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted

Great job John, and an excellent guest. This is one of the few men I would like to meet. He is a smart, humble man. Jason, if you want "action" consider the stock market. It is not as fast, and I think with your mind, you can find some edges.

Keep up the great work JK!
Gets my vote as dumbest post of year!

blueline

EOG Master

I was able to scratch Fair Meadows Tulsa off the list a short time ago, PM is on the list

Bushay

NHL Expert

lol. damn....lets get back on track boys!

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate

I don't think you're a true gambler unless you've experienced some of the ups and downs this track announcer has gone thru. I remember thinking why the hell would Art Schlichter pick Vegas to live with his addiction. But here you're so saturated with gamble it takes the gamble out of you....it's no longer a high but a chore.
A chore for some,overload for others...

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated

I was friends with Howie Oil, who has been the Announcer at Monticello for over 30 years, when we were kids. I think Dink knew him also, or at least knew of him, as any Roosevelt Patron at the time did. He got his start by "calling" the races in the Grandstand at Roosevelt Raceway in the mid to late 70's, before each actual race. Fans use to gather around, and cheer or boo his calls, depending on who he called to win. He was a talented handicapper, as well as announcer. It was amazing to watch, and I've always admired the skill of memorizing all the different names, 10+ different times a day/night, and be as accurate as hell.

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated

Great article on Larry Lederman, the most entertaining Race Caller I've ever heard, and along with Jack E Lee, the best Harness Race caller I've ever heard.

08/24/2016 12:16PM
Lederman making the most of ‘borrowed time'

By Jim Dunleavy
[TABLE]

[TD="class: shareIcon1"][/TD]
[TD="class: shareIcon2"][/TD]
[TD="class: shareIcon3"][/TD]
[TD="class: shareIcon4"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: shareIcon11"]

[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Bill Denver/Equi-Photo
Larry Lederman (above) spent last week filling in for regular Monmouth Park announcer Frank Mirahmadi.

It was only fitting that Larry Lederman filled in at the microphone for Monmouth Park announcer Frank Mirahmadi when he was recovering from surgery last week. Mirahmadi and Lederman are longtime friends and have great respect for each other’s work. Also, for the last five years Lederman has been bravely dealing with his own serious health issues.
In April 2011, Lederman was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor after he collapsed and nearly died.
“I parked the car, got out, and fell over backwards,” Lederman said. “I thought I was having a heart attack. Nothing would work.”
Lederman said he was told he had two to 2 1/2 years to live, but last weekend at Monmouth, Lederman’s calls were full of the enthusiasm and humor that for decades have made him a favorite at East Coast tracks, both Thoroughbred and harness.
Lederman, 59, did standup comedy in New York during his early years, and in 1977, he won an announcing contest at Belmont Park. At the time, he was working for Daily Racing Form, charting races at various tracks.
Lederman went on to do lengthy announcing stints at Atlantic City Race Course, Freehold Raceway, and Garden State Park. This summer, he has filled in for Keith Jones at Parx Racing, John Curran at Delaware Park, and now at Monmouth.
His illness precludes him from working full time.
“Because of the heavy medication I take, I get tired during the afternoon,” Lederman said. “I’m restricted in what my doctor allows me to do. No planes. No long drives. No heat. If it’s over the mid-80s, I need to be inside. It’s all to keep pressure off my brain.”
Lederman said his tumor is dormant, but doctors have told him that if it “comes alive,” he will only have several months to live. In true Lederman style, he makes light of his predicament.
“I’ve been told I am living on borrowed time, but I must have a lot of credit,” he joked.
Lederman’s race calls are uniquely his own. Part irreverent street smack, part slapstick, they are loaded with information horseplayers want.
For example, nearing the stretch of Sunday’s sixth race, the lead changed hands just as several horses began to advance from off the pace, and Lederman described it this way: “It’s Tiz Twice now making a run for the lead and has it with a quarter-mile out, but the backfield’s in motion.”
It was obvious what Lederman meant, but who else would use football parlance to explain that situation?
“I try to be clever but not annoying,” Lederman said. “I try to make it exciting. I try to add to a good race and make it something to remember.
“Hopefully, I’m accurate and somewhat entertaining. After all, it is an entertaining sport. However, like anything else, there’s a time and place for everything, and I know when to play it straight.”
Mirahmadi, early in his career, would mix impressions into his race calls. He credits Lederman for blazing that trail.
“Larry is truly a legend in the business and invented the funny-type calls that I eventually got into myself in order to get my start,” Mirahmadi said.
Mirahmadi said he sought Lederman’s advice in advance of two important races he has called – American Pharoah’s Arkansas Derby win at Oaklawn Park and Hallowed Dreams’s record-tying 16th straight win at Louisiana Downs.
“Following American Pharoah’s Rebel romp, I asked Larry, ‘How can I say Victor Espinoza has never asked this horse the question?’ ” Mirahmadi said. “He came up with it in two seconds and said, ‘Everyone knows the answer,’ which is a simple but truly great way of conveying what I wanted to say. I used it when he won that way again in the Arkansas Derby.”
Lederman credits Jeff Gural, owner of the Meadowlands, as being “ultra-supportive” since he was diagnosed. He also has talked extensively with two California horsemen, Barry Abrams and the late Mike Mitchell.
“Barry Abrams helped me, I helped Mike Mitchell,” Lederman said. “Barry beat Stage 4 throat cancer – twice. I still talk to him every day.”
Lederman had to overcome another tragedy in 2014. His wife, Jodi, died suddenly, leaving him to be both “a mother and a father” to his daughter, who was 27 at the time.
“My wife died of sepsis after her intestines burst,” he said. “She came down the stairs and collapsed in my arms. I called 911. The next day, the hospital called and said, ‘You’d better get over here.’ ”
Despite all the rough times, Lederman isn’t bitter. And he certainly hasn’t given up. His race calls this past weekend were vibrant, seemingly demanding attention.
“I have to accept it. I have to have the right demeanor,” Lederman said. “When I had my seizure, I was close to dying. I’ve seen the bright light, and I heard the voice saying, ‘Larry it’s okay to give up.’ I consider myself to be lucky. I’m still alive.”

Mr. Met

EOG Addicted

Great article on Larry Lederman, the most entertaining Race Caller I've ever heard, and along with Jack E Lee, the best Harness Race caller I've ever heard.
]

Thank you for the article. Big Larry Lederman fan as well. I used to enjoy making the drive to Freehold in part to hear his calls.

The only announcer I know that would give out baseball scores and mix in shout outs to the on track patrons during the race call.

Johnny Knuckles

EOG Veteran

I'm willing to bet that there are a plethora of people who visit this site that also have a gambling problem, yet as it is with any compulsive gambler, people will only tell you publicly what they want you to know, and few if any, ever want to exhibit any sort of perceived weakness within them. I agree with Railbird, 99% of people who go to GA, go because they lost money gambling, not the other way around.

Anyone like a Jason Beem, has to realize that it's not gambling itself that is his real problem. Compulsive gambling is just a secondary issue. He might have some sort of a mental health issue with depression, anxiety, self esteem, and the gambling just compounds the problem.

I get back to the whole idea of shame and guilt. I'm going to assume most people who gamble, have some sort of a job, and we all work so hard for our money. I dont care who anyone is, the majority of us have at one time or another, pissed away paycheques due to gambling. And that in itself leads to a tremendous amount of shame and guilt, which leads to other issues like chronic drinking, or drug use, or adultery. Many compulsive gamblers are some of the worst people to be around, because they are also compulsive liars, deceitful to people around them as can be.

I took a beating in baseball earlier this summer. The worst summer I've had ever. Couldnt pick a winner if my life depended upon it, and my opinions were on full exhibit in these forums. The more you go cold, the more the EGO kicks in, that inner voice that says "I'm not a quitter". I eventually was forced to took an extended break, and now I have the patience and discipline that I've rarely had in a long time...........now the wins are coming, yet the bet volume and size of bet has lowered dramatically. If people only listened to their gut feeling,and rarely relied on what others thought, they'd have more success. There is absolutely no worse feeling for a gambler than to go to work and put in a full day of hard work and perseverance, feeling proud of one's efforts, only to return home at home, and lose a good portion of that income on someone else's opinion. Gamblers dont ever believe they will lose any bet they place.

The vast majority of people who gamble on a regular basis, end up losing. Mathematically, with the vigorish, the odds are not in a gambler's favor. People can make a profit gambling on sports over a long term, but they are a select few. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is just fooling themselves. I sit back these days, and I am not as invested aggressively at pouring over tons of statistical information and data like I used to be; rather, I sit back, watch, analyze, and pounce at the right time. Everyone has a different formula for perceived success; I choose to believe that I've found mine.

I'm looking forward to the NFL season. I've found I've had the most success when I became a student for the first 2 weeks of the season, and simply watched, and took notes. Most people will have zero clue what the 2016 of the Denver Broncos really looks like as compared to the 2015 edition when the first game kicks off, as the pre-season tends to tell us little, forcing us to bet on what we last remembered the Broncos to be, and that's an incorrect assumption.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Like Johnny Knuckles, I like a cautious approach when the season begins.

However, Weeks 2 thru 9 in both pro and college football are my favorite two months of the season.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted

John, please have Jason discuss addiction generally. I congratulate him on nearly 6 years of gambling sobriety. Also, I assume he attends regular GA meetings and knows a lot about the topic. Some of the posters here don't get it; either they are in denial or they don't want to understand themselves. I look in the mirror and don't like everything I see. Wish I could see the big picture on Saturdays when I'm down a grand and have downed multiple drinks while trying to decide how to bet the San Jose State/Hawaii game. I'm an east coast guy and my lifetime percentage on college games involving teams west of the Mississippi is probably less than 40 percent. I need west coast help Rail. God bless the Anteaters!

Room 103 in the 80's I love it....still there same place same room number and still the same lady who answers the hot line who's husband was a degen bless her heart...