Hurricane Florence

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Wednesday, Sept. 12

Campbell at Coastal Carolina, 2 p.m. (​Note: This game has been moved up from its previously-scheduled Saturday kickoff. The university closed campus Tuesday morning and will remain closed at least through the end of the week.)

Thursday, Sept. 13

Boston College at Wake Forest, 5:30 p.m. (Note: This game has been moved up two hours from its previously-scheduled 7:30 kickoff time.)

Saturday, Sept. 15

Georgia Southern at No. 2 Clemson, 3:30 p.m.

Middle Tennessee at No. 3 Georgia, 7:15 p.m.

No. 13 LSU at No. 7 Auburn, 3:30 p.m.

East Carolina at No. 11 Virginia Tech, 12:20 p.m. CANCELED (Note: ECU announced it would not travel but hopes to reschedule the game.)

No. 15 West Virginia at North Carolina State, CANCELED (Note: NC State announced Monday that it is suspending classes from 5 p.m. Wednesday through 5 p.m. Sunday.)

No. 18 Central Florida at North Carolina, CANCELED (Note: UNC suspended classes beginning Tuesday evening. UCF said on Twitter it is "unlikely" the game between the Knights and Tar Heels will be rescheduled.)

Ohio at Virginia, 4:30 p.m. (Note: Game has been moved from its original 3:00 start time and will instead be played at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville, Tenn.)

Southern Miss at Appalachian State, 3:30 p.m.

Colorado State at Florida, 4:00 p.m.

Old Dominion at Charlotte, 6:00 p.m.

Norfolk State at Liberty, POSTPONED (Note: This game will now be played Dec. 1.)

Marshall at South Carolina, 7:30 p.m. (Note: South Carolina canceled classes beginning at 1 p.m. Tuesday).

Source: USA Today

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Category 4 storm, with 130 mph winds, is being described as a "storm of a lifetime."

Florence to stall as it reaches mainland and now forecasters are predicting a Charleston, South Carolina hit.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Boston College vs Wake Forest: is two hour move appropriate for a "storm of a lifetime"? Why bring people into the area?

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
one of three storms of a lifetime so far.

but yea seems like incredible amounts of RAIN and water on this one. flooding and water damage will be sky high

mr merlin

EOG Master
trytrytry;n7454728 said:
one of three storms of a lifetime so far.

but yea seems like incredible amounts of RAIN and water on this one. flooding and water damage will be sky high

Yesterday they predicted it would strengthen today to a cat 5, instead it weakened, yet we're supposed to believe their forecasts 2 or 3 days out? We're at the peak of hurricane season and one is going to hit the carolinas...and it's gonna rain a lot, that's the truth.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I heard estimates of as much as 20-40" of rain and the worst part of this is that once it comes ashore that it will just stall.

blueline

EOG Master

The weird saga of
Hurricane Florence
, which has already carved an unprecedented path across the Atlantic, is forecast to persist with a strange stall and trek along the Southeast coast.
Instead of roaring ashore and quickly heading inland and weakening, as most storms do, Hurricane Florence should instead "stall near the coast and then parallel southwestward toward Georgia," Weather Channel meteorologist Greg Postel said. "I've never seen anything like this."

mr merlin

EOG Master
jimmythegreek;n7454760 said:
I heard estimates of as much as 20-40" of rain and the worst part of this is that once it comes ashore that it will just stall.

That's a lot of rain, there's gonna be some wet basements for sure. Even if they dont have basements.

blueline

EOG Master
The kickoff for Middle Tennessee's game at No. 3 Georgia on Saturday has been moved to noon because of concerns about the impact of Hurricane Florence.

The game had been scheduled for a 7:15 p.m. kickoff.

Georgia announced the decision to move the kickoff time after "extensive evaluation involving the uncertainty of weather conditions on the East Coast, and consideration of all constituencies involved including fans, support staff, and law enforcement.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
mr merlin;n7454759 said:
Yesterday they predicted it would strengthen today to a cat 5, instead it weakened, yet we're supposed to believe their forecasts 2 or 3 days out? We're at the peak of hurricane season and one is going to hit the carolinas...and it's gonna rain a lot, that's the truth.

I really wouldn't focus on the actual maximum strength of the hurricane, but rather, the width of TS+ winds, the storm surge and the rain. A category 2 hurricane of this size is much more dangerous than a small category 5 for a much wider area. Most of the damage from hurricanes is storm surge and rain. Obviously, if their was category 5 winds, that would add a ton of damage... but 70 mph+ winds over 100-150 miles will still cause a lot of damage,

There's alot going on with this storm thats making it so dangerous. For one thing, the area that the storm surge will hit is very vulnerable. Ocracoke Island is a very small island at the end of the Outer Banks... I think the maximum height of the island is 3 feet at any point. They are likely to get around 10 feet of storm surge. There is a chance of the whole island being underwater.

Also, the rain is going to be record breaking because of the predicted stall. If you look at the latest 12z GFS model, almost half of North Carolina is expected to get 15+ inches of rain over the next 72 hours. The widespread amount of a foot of rain is crazy.

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
blueline;n7454785 said:

The weird saga of
Hurricane Florence
, which has already carved an unprecedented path across the Atlantic, is forecast to persist with a strange stall and trek along the Southeast coast.
Instead of roaring ashore and quickly heading inland and weakening, as most storms do, Hurricane Florence should instead "stall near the coast and then parallel southwestward toward Georgia," Weather Channel meteorologist Greg Postel said. "I've never seen anything like this."

When it was forming in the Atlantic, there was a point where no storm within 200 miles of where she was located ever even came close to hitting the USA. It really was a very unique track.. There was no escape route though, and this is what happened.

waco

EOG Dedicated
I hope my hotel I got reservations in 3 weeks and friends sports are still standing. Ramada Inn and Sundogs in Corolla My friend says its going more south now to South Carolina. Only time will tell!!