IBM presents "You Make The Call"

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In the late 80's/early 90's, I nailed every answer to those 60-second commercial spots which asked the viewer to put themselves in the football referee's shoes.

With the advent of replay and all the new rules regarding football moves and immediate recoveries, I'm no longer confident in my abilities to make the right call.

Much more complicated rule book these days, especially in regards to what's a completion or incompletion.

scrimmage

What you contemplate you imitate
Re: IBM presents "You Make The Call"

The game was refereed in an analog manner before the digital age.
Replay/review isn't done in real time, so reasons are found to reverse a call which would stand
when the standard was human sense speed.
If plays are made,and challenged,they should be looked at again at the same rate at which they were performed,and only overturned if it's obvious to the natural eye refresh pace.

The problem of the runner getting to the goal can be viewed from a different perspective. According to the Regressive version of the Dichotomy Paradox, the runner cannot even take a first step. Here is why. Any step may be divided conceptually into a first half and a second half. Before taking a full step, the runner must take a 1/2 step, but before that he must take a 1/4 step, but before that a 1/8 step, and so forth ad infinitum, so Achilles will never get going. Like the Achilles Paradox, this paradox also concludes that any motion is impossible.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/zeno-par/

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Interesting point, scrimmage.

What's more, the stoppages for replay reviews/challenges kill the natural flow of the game.

cheapseats

EOG Master

I think they do that. As opposed to the beginning years, the replay box now has no idea what the call on the field is, so replay makes the decision with the slo-mo for proper determination of the play. Thus, the real time call takes precedent.

grana

EOG Senior Member

I loved those commercials.. truly the golden age of the NFL! (And when IBM still made personal computers.)

The 'Alcoa Fantastic Finishes' commercials were awesome as well.

scrimmage

I think they do that. As opposed to the beginning years, the replay box now has no idea what the call on the field is, so replay makes the decision with the slo-mo for proper determination of the play. Thus, the real time call takes precedent.
Slo-mo is different than real time,reviews should be decided as everyone saw them when they happened,not slowed to the nth degree...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Wacky play near the end of the half in the Clemson-Georgia Tech game.

railbird

EOG Master

Indoor tennis a lob hits the overhead scoreboard but lands in, what is the ruling?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

I loved those commercials.. truly the golden age of the NFL! (And when IBM still made personal computers.)

The 'Alcoa Fantastic Finishes' commercials were awesome as well.

I remember those well. Weren't they aired right at the 2:00 warnings of the second half?

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted

Used to love the Alcoa ones. Todd to Barkum was my favorite.

My favorite was a FG attempt in OT to win the game. Kicked blocked, bounces to defender who runs it in @ 70 yards.
Announcer goes crazy "WHAT A TURNAROUND!! WHAT A TURNAROUND!!!"

rdalert447

EOG Dedicated

My favorite was a FG attempt in OT to win the game. Kicked blocked, bounces to defender who runs it in @ 70 yards.
Announcer goes crazy "WHAT A TURNAROUND!! WHAT A TURNAROUND!!!"

Loll. Funny how you remember this stuff, huh?

scrimmage

Some effective advertising.
We're still closing the feedback loop...