If Only There Was a Word for 1000 Grams . . .

This article (behind a paywall, but the gist is here) keeps talking about this guy getting busted at the LV airport with "7,000 grams" of cocaine.

Guess the reporter is not really up on the metric system, or basic drug trafficking slang 101, and/or Arlo Guthrie's song "Coming Into Los Angeles."

https://genius.com/Arlo-guthrie-coming-into-los-angeles-lyrics

Even the link that I found for the song refers to flying into LAX with a couple of "keys."

I thought it was "ki's" as in "kilos," not like housekeys. Another example of cancel culture cleaning things up -- and destroying the whole meaning -- after the fact?

Reminds me of a federal criminal hearing back in the early '80's where I was the only one in the courtroom -- including a boatload of DEA agents -- who knew how many grams were in an ounce.

Last edited:
Maybe he got the basic transportation idea from watching the movie Blow with Johnny Depp and Penélope Cruz, where they -- decades ago in an entirely different security environment -- smuggled several kilos of cocaine in through airports in luggage (before they upped their game to heavier weight).

Yeah, who has someone else pack their luggage for them?

May as well just plead to the charges straight up and thereby shoot for some beneficial effect in the sentencing guidelines if that's his defense.

I mean, 7 kilos is 15.4 pounds.

Prompting the question after picking up the "friend-packed" luggage, "hey dude, did you like pack 7 ki's of coke in my bag?"